• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks people. I will make sure to inform them of this. I am pretty flabbergasted how my friend claims to have seen the full thing. He honestly said to me..."his girlfriend started filming as soon as the cop asked for his license and registration. .." but this so obviously didn't happen at all in the video. It's weird of him because Usually he is on point about news and things in general.

And like you guys said, sadly the full thing wasn't captured and so the cop can really say anything about what happened. It will be her word against his. He"ll probably say Philando was reqching for his gun or complete twist the story, while it seems most likely that Philando made sure to inform the cop of his firearm possession and license to avoid trouble. So Damn tragic.

I wonder when we get some updates on this. I sure as hell hope the cop isn't ging to walk.

Media

How odd. Usually not a person to just make things up. But I believe you. I'll ask him about this tomorrow.

Maybe he read this and believes it happened like that. But he did specifically ask me if I had seen the full video.

Another friend of mine said he saw a video of a black woman talking about a young girl that got killed by a driveby shooting and nobody cares. Yet for this guy whom she believed was nothing but a thug people cry. Wasn't it said though that the guy was actually someone kids looked up to in school? That he was a good and well meaning person?

Of course people are upset when someone is killed in a drive by.

The difference between that and this:

A criminal killed that little girl. A criminal who, if caught, will pay for his crimes.

A cop killed Phil. A cop who is supposed to enforce the law and not murder people, who are supposed to be held to higher standard than criminals. He will likely not pay for his crimes, hence the outrage.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was talking about this with friends and one asked my opinion on it. I said I only knew about the girlfriend's explanation of it and had not seen the full video. He said he did and explained what happened. He said the cop asks the driver for his license and the driver responds with that he has a firearm with him and has a license for it. The cop panicks and tells the driver to put his hands on the steering wheel but the driver doesn't doen this. Instead he reaches for the dashboard where supposedly his license or weapon is. Cop starts firing at him, kills him and goes all "oh No, I told him to put his hands on the steering wheel,not this!". Something along those lines. So on one hand you could wonder Why the driver did not just listen to the cop and on the other.....Why killer the guy richt away? Could he not have gone for cover or If need be hit his arm then?

If it indeed went down like this. Is this correct?

This is how Facebook nonsense spreads (not blaming you).

1. Your friend didn't know what happened
2. Neither did you
3. You repeated a poorly remembered version of what his girlfriend said but with an erroneous version of events whose main thesis was incredibly wrong
4. You repeat it as a question but assumed some veracity
5. Nobody involved bothered taking five minutes to read accurate reporting on the matter
6. Fucking nonsense is rebroadcast and now blames the victim

This is how Facebook nonsense spreads (not blaming you).

1. Your friend didn't know what happened
2. Neither did you
3. You repeated a poorly remembered version of what his girlfriend said but with an erroneous version of events whose main thesis was incredibly wrong
4. You repeat it as a question but assumed some veracity
5. Nobody involved bothered taking five minutes to read accurate reporting on the matter
6. Fucking nonsense is rebroadcast and now blames the victim

The thing is though. I had not started the conversation about it with him. He asked me what I had seen or know and what my tboughts on it were. He then said he had seen the full video.

I don't get him anymore though. I have messaged him the Buzzfeed link, the text transcript of what she said to the cop and everything that happened and he said that is not what he had seen in the video. I asked him what video hze has seen, but it really can't be anything else than we we already know here. Awaiting his response now.

EDIT

Turns out he had not seen this video. He saw the video on TV news and in the video it was night. A woman was filming it and it also involved a guy in the car. Did the whole incident with Mr Sterling started when he was in a car? Perhaps our news did not have the recent footage yet and displayed a much older video.

Just saw on cnn that this guy was pulled over 52 times since early 2010s!

I mean if that isn't profiling then what?

One of my Diet Racist (ah, who am I kidding?) acquaintances posted a link on Facebook. Here's the text:

I , as a BLACK AMERICAN have been pulled over COUNTLESS times by the police , in anywhere from Multimillion dollar neighborhoods, to Poverty stricken slums , to Redneck, hillbilly country roads , MOST TIMES while being locked and loaded with a LICENSED , 40 Cal Handgun Sometimes with even more than 1 gun . I have been Searched and questioned , sometimes for HOURS But not ONCE has anything EVER gone violent. WHY ? Because I made 1 choice and 1 choice only , and that was to RESPECT THEIR AUTHORITY , and respect their orders , because I'd rather leave HUMBLE with a HANDSHAKE than leave lifeless in a BODY BAG . Police officers have 1 goal , and 1 goal only . And that is to make it home to their loved ones at the end of shift . If the REST of america , had the SAME AGENDA , This world would be so much different .

Pulled over "countless" times, searched, questioned for hours, but it's all cool, because it never got violent because he knew his place. I've never been pulled over except for speeding, and even that's maybe 3 times.

The bizarre thing is that he wasn't even the driver! He was the passenger! That they were pulled over even when he wasn't behind the wheel suggests some pretty nasty truths about the propensity to stop black dudes in cars. And there's still no actual evidence that suggests he didn't comply with Officer Yanez -- even Yanez's lawyer didn't claim that.

The bizarre thing is that he wasn't even the driver! He was the passenger! That they were pulled over even when he wasn't behind the wheel suggests some pretty nasty truths about the propensity to stop black dudes in cars. And there's still no actual evidence that suggests he didn't comply with Officer Yanez -- even Yanez's lawyer didn't claim that.
Thought someone mentioned that he was the driver, but the perspective was flipped/mirrored or something? Can someone confirm?

Thought someone mentioned that he was the driver, but the perspective was flipped/mirrored or something? Can someone confirm?

oh he was the driver, hm... the most recent update is that the audio of the dispatches have been confirmed legit

per the Strib:
“One adult female being taken into custody,” reported an officer. “Driver at gunpoint. Juvenile female, child, is with [another officer]. We need a couple other squads to block off intersections.”

“All officers are good,” an officer called in. “One suspect that needs medics.”

It’s unclear which robbery suspects police believed Castile and Reynolds resembled. However, one day earlier, the BCA issued a call for the public’s help in identifying two suspects in a July 2 armed robbery of a nearby Lauderdale convenience store. Both suspects in the July 2 robbery were described as black men with shoulder-length or longer dreadlocks. The descriptions of the suspects included the clothing each suspect wore, but did not include estimated height, weight or ages.

Albert Goins, an attorney who assisted the Castile family in the hours following the shooting, said that if Castile were indeed a robbery suspect, officers would have initiated a felony traffic stop, which “does not usually involve officers walking up to your car and asking you to produce your driver’s license.”

“A felony stop involves bringing the suspect out at gunpoint while officers are in a position of cover and having them lie on the ground until they can identify who that individual is,” he said.

With regard to the audio, Goins said, “I can’t imagine that it’s reasonable suspicion to make a stop because somebody had a broad nose.”

One of my Diet Racist (ah, who am I kidding?) acquaintances posted a link on Facebook. Here's the text:

Pulled over "countless" times, searched, questioned for hours, but it's all cool, because it never got violent because he knew his place. I've never been pulled over except for speeding, and even that's maybe 3 times.

Wait how does what he said make him racist? Maybe ignorant but doesn't scream racism to me.

Just saw on cnn that this guy was pulled over 52 times since early 2010s!

I mean if that isn't profiling then what?

Totally fucked up and obvious racial profiling. I've been pulled over 3 times in my 18 years of driving. Twice for speeding and once for a tag issue. Ive gotten one speeding ticket and 2 warnings.

methane47

Wait how does what he said make him racist? Maybe ignorant but doesn't scream racism to me.

I dont know about "racist" but that post implys that if you as a black man are nice and polite to the police, then everything will go well.

But time and time again, we have seen this is not the case. Sometimes police reaction has nothing to do with the demeanor of the person that is being detained/held up/pulled over etc..

TalonJH

The thing is though. I had not started the conversation about it with him. He asked me what I had seen or know and what my tboughts on it were. He then said he had seen the full video.

I don't get him anymore though. I have messaged him the Buzzfeed link, the text transcript of what she said to the cop and everything that happened and he said that is not what he had seen in the video. I asked him what video hze has seen, but it really can't be anything else than we we already know here. Awaiting his response now.

EDIT

Turns out he had not seen this video. He saw the video on TV news and in the video it was night. A woman was filming it and it also involved a guy in the car. Did the whole incident with Mr Sterling started when he was in a car? Perhaps our news did not have the recent footage yet and displayed a much older video.

Sounds like he is mixing up the two shootings and getting random misinformation from sites.

Philando Castile Video(This threads topic)
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/0...playlists/philando-castile-shot-in-minnesota/

Alton Sterling video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdGXhSQvTKc

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the sort of thing I've learned over the past few years that white America just really can't even relate to, let alone begin to understand, empathize, and put into perspective.

Think about if your life was like this. Think about if it ended because you complied, and before Facebook Live, no one gave a fuck or even noticed, and your entire family who also spends their entire life hounded by the police gets no justice for your wrongful death.

The bold is exactly why things will ultimately not change when it comes to police brutality. The majority of white people finally cared about black lives in the early 1960s after they saw what the police was doing to black people on TV for the first time. It was over the top obvious abuse, tyranny, and terrorism.

But today? Nah! It's not as obvious for them. And until the majority of white people agree that police brutality is a problem and needs to be fixed, much won't change.

I want you guys to watch this video and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPFdS6SSgQ

Unless the dude's ''facts'' are nonsense and he does seem to do a lot of fact checking, Sterling was far from an angel. Had tons of run ins with the law, did plenty of time, certainly didn't seem to learn from his mistakes and really wasn't that good guy his family claimed he was. The guy also says he clearly was reaching for a gun....and that there was a gun. Was there after all?

Also some revealing stuff about Philando Castille, but especially about his girlfriend. I hope you guys watched it, because i sure found it interesting.

Order

Unless the dude's ''facts'' are nonsense, Sterling was far from an angel. Had tons of run ins with the law, did plenty of time, certainly didn't seem to learn from his mistakes and really wasn't that good guy his family claimed he was. The guy also says he clearly was reaching for a gun....and that there was a gun. Was there after all?

Also some revealing stuff about Philando Castille, but especially about his girlfriend. I hope you guys watched it, because i sure found it interesting.
You really bumped this thread to post this dumb shit

Ebris

Unless the dude's ''facts'' are nonsense and he does seem to do a lot of fact checking, Sterling was far from an angel. Had tons of run ins with the law, did plenty of time, certainly didn't seem to learn from his mistakes and really wasn't that good guy his family claimed he was. The guy also says he clearly was reaching for a gun....and that there was a gun. Was there after all?

This reads exactly like satire. Please tell me it's satire.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Sad

No Love

Banned

The "he's no angel" phrase, such a classic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Never trust anyone wearing an anime avatar.

Did no one tell you that this is old victim blaming handbook? Should catch up on your shit excuses.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

What is wrong with you?

I usually dont say this to posters, but you can fuck off. The same guy has a video right underneath the trash you posted about thr myth of the Native American genocide.

So again, fuck off.

I was about to say "who would record their boyfriend being shot instead of using their phone to call the police". I guess that's me associating the police Ada gang rather than law enforcement who protect people

jet1911

Totally deserved to die.

Slayven

So he deserves to die because he wasn't as pure as snow. Get out of here with that bullshit

ramyeon

Is this an account suicide?

Just can't see any other reason anyone would post this trash.

What the hell....

I merely posted a video and i get this. And people PLEASE read, i said....IF this is all true, he sure wasn't an angel. Exactly what is wrong with that? Watch the video and see what he says about his past crimes. Anyone with a criminal record like that i would say is not exactly an angel.

And again, i said IF......

Jesus. Read my previous comments, i have been mostly agreeing with everybody here.

woolley

What the hell....

I merely posted a video and i get this. And people PLEASE read, i said....IF this is all true, he sure wasn't an angel. Exactly what is wrong with that? Watch the video and see what he says about his past crimes. Anyone with a criminal record like that i would say is not exactly an angel.

Jesus. Read my previous comments, i have been mostly agreeing with everybody here.

Because his past has nothing to do with him being shot. It means fucking nothing and all it does is victim blame.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
From the time this thread was created until just a few moments ago, I was feeling bad for Philando Castile and had such a hatred for the cops. But thanks to the saint Tatsumi Oga for showing me the light that he was no angel, I can now go back to having peace of mind.

Ducarmel

What the hell....

I still don't get it, past criminal history means the shootings are OK?

Its not like the cops knew who these guys where when they killed them.

I want to say this is an elaborate troll but bumping this thread a month later with racist "he was no angel" bullshit reeks of genuine hate.

Unbelieveable. I can't believe you guys now.

Talking about fucking hyperbole replies man.

I hate nobody, not exactly capable of hating someone, not very easily that is. I was merely interested in what you guys had to say, nothing more.

Nowhere at all do i say the man deserved to die, NOWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom