• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Could Become The Highest-Grossing Superhero Origin Movie Ever

Make a good movie, a lot of people will want to watch it. Especially a summer blockbuster.

I just hate the idea that Hollywood's top takeaway will be some bizarre formula, like "ok we need a female director and a foreign actress as star, plus a white male co-lead with blue eyes but their relationship should be mostly platonic". No you goddamn idiots, invest in a GOOD SCREEN WRITER and trust your director in their ideas and vision and stop dumbing down movies and people will be excited to see it.

kswiston

What the hell, that's crazy. So basically, no one is ever going to dethrone SM?

All we have left are d-list superhero origins.

Batman 89 and Spider-Man were by far the most popular superhero origin films of all time for their time of release. There's a big gap between the top 2 and Wonder Woman + Iron Man 1. Then a smaller gap between those two and Superman 78 and Deadpool. GotG1 and Suicide Squad would follow.

Spider-man is bound to go down eventually in terms of actual gross. The gap between Spider-Man 1 and now is longer than the gap between Batman 89 and Spider-Man 1.

I mean, you are basically describing all of the Guardians of the Galaxy, to one degree or another lol

I would say of all them, Drax, sure. But Gamora, Rocket and Star Lord - not so much.

Was Groot's ability not the same as everyone one of his species?

Fill me in if I am off on any of these.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yeah. WW needs a new theme that fits her character.

Like it or not, I think that string riff is on its way to being firmly tethered to the character for the audience, especially with how WB went out of its way to make it prominent both in marketing and the movie itself.

If I'm going wishlist for a new composer though, I'd like to see either Patrick Doyle (the first Thor's soundtrack is actually pretty good) or more preferably, someone like Dario Marinelli, who's usually super moody but Kubo and the Two Strings really highlighted his more adventurous side.

kswiston

Adjusted is something like
1. Avengers
2. Dark Knight
3. Spiderman 1
4. Batman 89
5. Spiderman 2
6. Superman 1

Avengers had 3D premiums on something like 40% of its gross (at least in the first two weeks).

TDK is most likely #1. Mojo's charts stopped being very accurate in 2009 (and They were never accurate for films before 1980). There's too much variation in premium surcharges now.

Platy

I would say of all them, Drax, sure. But Gamora, Rocket and Star Lord - not so much.

Superman is a pretty shitty kriptonian. His only bonus is receiving more yellow sun than the others.

You don't base them around their species, you base them around humans

Adjusted is something like
1. Avengers
2. Dark Knight
3. Spiderman 1
4. Batman 89
5. Spiderman 2
6. Superman 1
Spider man 1 was so huge and 2 as well. That is probably the highest grossing superhero trilogy we will ever have.

Spideyb1 even beat a mainline star wars episode for the domestic crown in its year (attack of the clones)

It has basically no chance worldwide at all and it's not exactly likely to pass it domestically either. There's no need to oversell how phenomenal of a run it's actually been. It's had astonishing legs and already performed about $100-150m beyond even the most optimistic predictions from a couple months ago.

But now she's got a chance to join a club so exclusive that the only other members are Spider-Man, Batman, and Iron Man - heroes to make $400m domestic with a solo movie. Of those, Spidey alone has done it with an origin movie. Diana would be the second.

I don't see it passing Spider-Man but this is very impressive. Never would have expected these numbers. Queen Diana!

Spider man 1 was so huge and 2 as well. That is probably the highest grossing superhero trilogy we will ever have.

Spideyb1 even beat a mainline star wars episode for the domestic crown in its year (attack of the clones)

The Raimi trilogy is light years ahead of pretty much every other superhero franchise in my country. Around 6.5 million tickets sold for each entry, which is 2 million more than Avengers, twice what Dark Knight did, and about three or four times what the average MCU solo film usually does. It's pretty astounding.

I don't see it passing Spider-Man but this is very impressive. Never would have expected these numbers. Queen Diana!

The Raimi trilogy is light years ahead of pretty much every other superhero franchise in my country. Around 6.5 million tickets sold for each entry, which is 2 million more than Avengers, twice what Dark Knight did, and about three or four times what the average MCU solo film usually does. It's pretty astounding.
I always felt the Raimi films had a combo of light hearted super hero fun and 90's new york style rom com combined. That made for a four quadrant type appealing package and is what made that trilogy strike such a chord on a big level

You're not really off, but the Guardians of the Galaxy end up being classified as superheroes because they occupy key points in a blatantly superhero universe, and their stories put them in proximity to superheroes, with the same goals as superheroes.

Guardians is basically Marvel Star Wars, but because it IS "Marvel Star Wars," and Marvel is without a doubt a superhero universe, the team gets classified as superheroes whether or not they actually fit the bill in a strict sense.

Sorta like how Batman isn't superpowered at all, so the "Super" part of Superhero doesn't really apply, but he absolutely counts because he ticks pretty much every other box AND he works with other superheroes.

Also: I like how these threads allow for the opportunity to enlighten people on

1) how BUSTED adjusting for inflation is, to the point where it's almost useless as a metric
2) how Worldwide numbers sound good but aren't as important to a studio as the domestic numbers are.

Slay queen. Will go a third time only to see No Man's Land on a big screen again.

And to think... Patty Jenkins had to fight to get that scene into the movie. But thing's are going to be different for WW2, I can only imagine that Patty will be getting a lot more creative freedom during the second time around.

The movie is doing about as well as about as Suicide Squad at the BO for worldwide numbers at least, but this one is still going to do better in the end. This one is also getting the critical praise that Warner Bros. is looking for.

Platy

Sorta like how Batman isn't superpowered at all, so the "Super" part of Superhero doesn't really apply, but he absolutely counts because he ticks pretty much every other box AND he works with other superheroes.

That is VERY debatable xD

It is like saying Cucumberpickles' Sherlock is a normal human being.

Platy

Depends on the Batman. What was superhuman about Bale's Batman?

nothing, but then again I think the entire nolan trilogy, while being awesome movies, are some of the worst adaptations of the characters on the screen.

Even Schumacker's had The Worlds Greatest Detective do more detective work

And to think... Patty Jenkins had to fight to get that scene into the movie. But thing's are going to be different for WW2, I can only imagine that Patty will be getting a lot more creative freedom during the second time around.

The movie is doing about as well as about as Suicide Squad at the BO for worldwide numbers at least, but this one is still going to do better in the end. This one is also getting the critical praise that Warner Bros. is looking for.

Hopefully the sequel isn't going to be using this premise of WW in the 80's (and Steve Trevor somehow coming back). This worries me a bit. (story has circulated today among a few outlets)

It would totally undermine the reaction of WW getting that note from Bruce W and seeing the original photo again.

If they are desperate to bring Chris Pine back, and interesting twist would be to make him a great, great, great grandchild of Steve Trevor - even if Steve didn't know he fathered a child while he was alive.

In present day Diana could meet this 'new Steve'. Diana may be a bit conflicted about how she should deal with this man - confused by feelings in the past, which of course the modern day Steve would have no clue about since he is unaware of that history. Maybe Diana wouldn't even tell him.

It would make for a complicated relationship, but would allow them to keep bringing him back in the future if they desired. I wouldn't want that to be the dominating theme of her sequel, but it would be an interesting side element to it.

Joni

Further proving the notion that origin stories for the lesser known heroes are still needed, despite what some will claim.

I don't see how that is proven when a character that debuted in a crossover movie is scoring higher than almost all origin-first movies. I'd say this shows a cross-over movie can introduce characters before expanding on them in standalone movies. It seems to be working for Spider-Man as well.

Hopefully the sequel isn't going to be using this premise of WW in the 80's (and Steve Trevor somehow coming back). This worries me a bit. (story has circulated today among a few outlets)

It would totally undermine the reaction of WW getting that note from Bruce W and seeing the original photo again.

If they are desperate to bring Chris Pine back, and interesting twist would be to make him a great, great, great grandchild of Steve Trevor - even if Steve didn't know he fathered a child while he was alive.

In present day Diana could meet this 'new Steve'. Diana may be a bit conflicted about how she should deal with this man - confused by feelings in the past, which of course the modern day Steve would have no clue about since he is unaware of that history. Maybe Diana wouldn't even tell him.

It would make for a complicated relationship, but would allow them to keep bringing him back in the future if they desired. I wouldn't want that to be the dominating theme of her sequel, but it would be an interesting side element to it.

IMO, the last thing we need here is a Sharon/Peggy Carter parallel.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't see how that is proven when a character that debuted in a crossover movie is scoring higher than almost all origin-first movies. I'd say this shows a cross-over movie can introduce characters before expanding on them in standalone movies. It seems to be working for Spider-Man as well.

Lol. Pre 2008 Spiderman and Wonder Woman were two of the biggest names on the planet. Both had huge brand recognition and didn't need leed in films to boost their popularity.

At most BvS might have acted to reassure audiences that Gal Gadot was the right choice for Dianna however in general the DCEU likely did more harm then good to Wonder Woman's overall numbers.

Joni

Lol. Pre 2008 Spiderman and Wonder Woman were two of the biggest names on the planet. Both had huge brand recognition and didn't need leed in films to boost their popularity.

So you are backing up my point that origin movies aren't necessary.

jdstorm

Banned

No, just pointing out that it was dumb that people thought Wonder Woman and Spiderman weren't going to be big.

Origin films are important because each variation on a classic superhero changes the rules slightly. For instance Christian Bale's Batman probably wasn't carrying around Bat Shark Repellent.

You don't nessecarily need to rehash everything especially the death of beloved family members, however you do need to tell the story about the first significant piece of superheroism that this particular version of the classic character did.

Spiderman Homecomming is really good in that respect with a lot of its plot mirroring and rearanging what Rami did in Spiderman 1 into something that feels both familiar and fresh at the same time.

HotHamBoy

I literally just finished watching this movie.

Weak start, solid middle, awful third act.

C+ cape movie

Gadot did a good job. I really fucking hated every action scene in this movie, though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Because almost nobody is watching this movie because of her cameo in Batman v Superman. She barely stuck around long enough to leave an impression, which is more than I could say for Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman.

They're watching this because word of mouth is good, it's fresh, and it leaves a lasting impression as to why she matters as a character. Her origin is key to that.

Top Bottom