• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Not Signed for Sequel

KSweeley

Link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ector-patty-jenkins-not-signed-sequel-1010845

June 7, 2017

Sources say Warner Bros. will soon begin negotiations with Jenkins, who will have major leverage thanks to the movie's historic opening weekend.

A $103.3 million domestic opening usually means a sequel is a no-brainer — but director Patty Jenkins has yet to sign on the dotted line for a Wonder Woman follow-up.

While star Gal Gadot has an option in place for Wonder Woman 2 as part of her overall deal to appear in several DC movies, Warner Bros. executives enlisted Jenkins for just one film, a decision that could end up costing the studio millions of dollars if Jenkins' reps drive a hard bargain for her to return.

Warners execs also may have been a bit unprepared for the level of success and acclaim Wonder Woman has achieved; initial tracking reports predicted Jenkins' $150 million-budgeted film would open to about $65 million domestic, solid but hardly a reason to begin planning a long-range strategy. And the studio had been focusing on putting together Justice League Dark, a supernatural team-up project, and Batgirl, a Joss Whedon-helmed film (among other Bat-offerings), as the likely next movies to go into production in the DC Comics universe.

Also a factor in not locking in Jenkins is the studio's more filmmaker-centric approach to its DC slate, where installments are not fait accompli; 2013’s Man of Steel, for example, still doesn’t have a direct sequel despite grossing more than $668 million worldwide.

Some insiders say it was only in recent weeks that Wonder Woman buzz began to grow on the Warners lot in Burbank, so the studio wanted to wait for the opening weekend results before initiating any negotiations. This strategy is a shift from the tactic under previous regimes, which got to work on sequels early. Warners famously greenlighted a sequel to The Hangover two months before the first film was released.

Sources say the studio intends to begin negotiations with Jenkins shortly (although the exact timing is unclear), and the filmmaker and her reps at CAA, Anonymous Content and Jackoway Tyerman will enjoy enormous leverage. Jenkins could not only return to the director's chair on Wonder Woman 2 but also could ink a more expansive deal that would allow her to work with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns on a script treatment for that movie and possibly others as well.

The movie was too good. They need to bring a hack director to bring back the DC tradition of terrible movies.

I'm hoping the return of Uwe Boll.

KSweeley

I would love to see this happen for Patty Jenkins:

Jenkins could not only return to the director's chair on Wonder Woman 2 but also could ink a more expansive deal that would allow her to work with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns on a script treatment for that movie and possibly others as well.

Good for her, she's about to get a massive paycheck to get back on board.

On one hand, bring her back for the sequel!

On the other hand, Superman does need some fixing these days....

I didn't love WW, but Jenkins would be perfect for Superman. Hopefully Matthew Vaughn will rescue him.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
From WB's perspective it was probably a good idea but they keep taking the most unexpected of Ls lol

Maybe they should sign all of their directors on for one movie, set low expectations, and then produce the greatest cinematic universe ever! It's brilliant!

I still say they somehow soft reboot the franchise starting with Wonder Woman. I know it's impossible, but Wonder Woman would have been the perfect start for the DCEU.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hopefully they go for the bigger deal so she can get some creative control over other projects. Her, Johns, and Whedon would make for a good DC creative group.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They'll sign her back. And she obviously will become the Whedon/Feige of DC.
I wouldn't go so far as to expect that. I don't doubt she'll do the sequel, but whether she wants to suddenly have to course correct this entire universe versus making her own stuff, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't go so far as to expect that. I don't doubt she'll do the sequel, but whether she wants to suddenly have to course correct this entire universe versus making her own stuff, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure why people assume that since she knows how to make a great WW movie that suddenly means she could handle all the other characters and ensemble films well.

I mean I'm all for her helping on DC stuff but calling her DC's Whedon or Feige is incredibly premature

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Have her on board contributing to the DC Universe - namely Wonder Woman & Superman.

Give Johns the Feige position, with the same level of control.

Keep Snyder on as an action consultant, contributing on action scenes for all movies but keeping his EP credit purely ceremonial.

boom, now everyone loves the dceu

They'll sign her back. And she obviously will become the Whedon/Feige of DC.

this is a terrible management move

does she even want to manage the creation of a cinematic universe? or does she want to do what she's great at - making solid movies with real heart?

I love that DC gets a decent film and suddenly that director is the savior. I liked the film fine but I'm not sure the hype around Jenkins fixing DCEU is worth it at this point.

She deserves whatever she can get.

They can take solice in the idea that the movie did a LOT better than they expected, therefore that 'bonus' money is already in place.

Kinyou

Also a factor in not locking in Jenkins is the studio's more filmmaker-centric approach to its DC slate, where installments are not fait accompli; 2013’s Man of Steel, for example, still doesn’t have a direct sequel despite grossing more than $668 million worldwide.
You could probably argue that BvS was the sequel.

Apt101

Get that scrilla girl. The first critically acclaimed film in the new iteration of this universe. Better believe she deserves more.

Yeah they will be paying for this one if they bring her back lol. I guess they were gambling on locking in before or after the receipts.

Top Bottom