• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Not Signed for Sequel

Probably only signed for 1 film considering it was a while since she directed and was her first big budget movie.

Think Nolan had the same deal with Batman Begins.

Vire

It's a good thing she didn't sign the contract before the movie came out...

Now she's gonna get PAID!

kswiston

Probably only signed for 1 film considering it was a while since she directed and was her first big budget movie.

Think Nolan had the same deal with Batman Begins.

One picture deals are pretty standard for directors until we start talking about sequels.

george_us

I'm not sure why people assume that since she knows how to make a great WW movie that suddenly means she could handle all the other characters and ensemble films well.

I mean I'm all for her helping on DC stuff but calling her DC's Whedon or Feige is incredibly premature
She can't be worse than the chucklefucks currently in charge.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm not sure why people assume that since she knows how to make a great WW movie that suddenly means she could handle all the other characters and ensemble films well.

I mean I'm all for her helping on DC stuff but calling her DC's Whedon or Feige is incredibly premature

Her Bruce Wayne stuff is the best from the DCEU, and he doesn't even appear on screens

Her Bruce Wayne stuff is the best from the DCEU, and he doesn't even appear on screens

Nonsense

Hopefully they sign her again for the sequel. And have her also work on superman-centric scripts as well in whatever capacity. All the riffing from the og superman movie did wonder woman a lot of good

She can't be worse than the chucklefucks currently in charge.

The "chucklefucks currently in charge", John Berg and Geoff Johns, had nothing to do with BvS, a minimal amount to do with Suicide Squad (it was close to being finished when they came on board). Wonder Woman is the first film they've actually been able to have a significant amount of input on, and I take that as a great sign.

Alienous

Yeah, I think Geoff Johns is the secret sauce.

With someone protecting the source material I think a Wonder Woman 2 could be approached by any decent director. I can't think of any inspired directorial choices in Wonder Woman that would lead me to think that Patty Jenkins absolutely must helm a sequel - I can't say that it felt like it carried a unique 'Patty Jenkins' signature.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Slightly clickbaity title. Could be read as "WB decided not to sign" instead of what actually happened.

Good for her though. She'll be able to negotiate a way better deal now.

george_us

The "chucklefucks currently in charge", John Berg and Geoff Johns, had nothing to do with BvS, a minimal amount to do with Suicide Squad (it was close to being finished when they came on board). Wonder Woman is the first film they've actually been able to have a significant amount of input on, and I take that as a great sign.
We'll see. Justice League still looking like absolute garbage doesn't really inspire confidence.

Yeah, I think Geoff Johns is the secret sauce.

With someone protecting the source material I think a Wonder Woman 2 could be approached by any decent director. I can't think of any inspired directorial choices in Wonder Woman that would lead me to think that Patty Jenkins absolutely must helm a sequel - I can't say that it felt like it carried a unique 'Patty Jenkins' signature.

Patty did significant work on the script along with Geoff. Neither of them actually have a "screenplay by" credit because of how the WGA works, but both of them worked on the script together after Allan Heinberg turned in his work.

I'm also not entirely sure if you understand what a Director does if you think there aren't any inspired directorial choices in the film. There are countless moments that I'd consider "inspired directorial choices" in the film. Everything pertaining to the No Man's Land sequence, Steve and Diana dancing in the village, casting Chris Pine as Steve, the design of Theymescira and the Amazons, choosing to portray Diana as a fish out of water, etc, etc.

Incredibly foolish to not sign a multi-deal. They should have known that at least this movie would have generated above average earnings at the box office.

Anyway, hope she comes back. Wonder Woman was a legit super hero movie from WB.

Alienous

Patty did significant work on the script along with Geoff. Neither of them actually have a "screenplay by" credit because of how the WGA works, but both of them worked on the script together after Allan Heinberg turned in his work.

I'm also not entirely sure if you understand what a Director does if you think there aren't any inspired directorial choices in the film. There are countless moments that I'd consider "inspired directorial choices" in the film. Everything pertaining to the No Man's Land sequence, Steve and Diana dancing in the village, casting Chris Pine as Steve, the design of Theymescira and the Amazons, choosing to portray Diana as a fish out of water, etc, etc.

Considering your examples I suppose the first three are arguably inspired directorial choices. The last two I'd attribute to the concept artists and the character (Diana being a 'fish out of water', even down to the ice cream moment, are more attributable to Geoff Johns' writing than Patty Jenkins).

I'd say, of the examples you give, Steve and Diana dancing is probably an inspired directorial choice - I don't imagine the average director would have made that same choice.

To me an inspired choice is something like the Russo brothers pitching a Captain America sequel as a spy movie. Batman Begins as a truly grounded take on the character. Or Joss Whedon's handling of character interdynamics in the Avengers. I didn't find something like that in Wonder Woman, so I don't expect a Wonder Woman 2 would greatly suffer without her directing. But if Warner Bros. is going to stick by David Ayer and Zack Snyder they owe it to themselves to stick with Patty Jenkins.

Considering your examples I suppose the first three are arguably inspired directorial choices. The last two I'd attribute to the concept artists and the character (Diana being a 'fish out of water', even down to the ice cream moment, are more attributable to Geoff Johns' writing than Patty Jenkins).

I'd say, of the examples you give, Steve and Diana dancing is probably an inspired directorial choice - I don't imagine the average director would have made that same choice.

To me an inspired choice is something like the Russo brothers pitching a Captain America sequel as a spy movie. Batman Begins as a truly grounded take on the character. Or Joss Whedon's handling of character interdynamics in the Avengers. I didn't find something like that in Wonder Woman.

The Director guides the whole production. Design work still gets guided and approved of by a Director. The artists don't just show up with stuff and it goes in the movie, they work to execute on the Director's vision. So while the specific design of Theymescira and the Amazons belong to any number of concept artists, where they ended up was almost certainly guided by Patty to fit her vision.

The fact that a version of Wonder Woman as a fish-out-of-water exists in the comics doesn't mean that Patty didn't make the decision to take her movie in that direction, there were any number of various takes on Wonder Woman she could've gone with. It's interesting that you attribute the fish-out-of-water aspects to Johns and not Patty but don't attribute the notion of a grounded take on Batman to Frank Miller or Captain America-as-spy-thriller to Ed Brubaker. Those filmmakers were making "inspired directorial decisions" that drew from what certain comic book writers have done with those characters in the same way that Patty did.

Top Bottom