• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

that's why I'm rerolling! Plus I just like the orc looks, and their racials are now good enough to make them compare favorably with tauren.

yacobod

Banned
speedpop said:
I'd probably go Elemental Shaman in Arena.. but being a Tauren sucks. You are #1 target because of size. Should've just gone with my heart and rolled an Orc a year ago.

are you talkin about 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 arena

your group make up has a LOT more to do with when you will get focus fired/targeted, not your size or race in game

since elemental shaman have the highest front loaded burst dmg in the game, its not hard to think why might be focus fired off the bat or CCd, if left alone they are devastating

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
yacobod said:
are you talkin about 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 arena

your group make up has a LOT more to do with when you will get focus fired/targeted, not your size or race in game
I've never seriously Arena'd on my Tauren but I am basing my experience on most world PVP encounters with groups, as well as standard BG scenarios, so technically it can go either way I suppose.

But also I haven't seriously PVP'd in quite awhile.

speedpop

Anyone have an inkling of a feeling when 2.3 hits live?

I haven't touched the PTR's so I really wouldn't know how much Blizzard have fiddled with it.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
So, anyone know of a good medium pop PVP server we could roll on? Me and 3 friends are coming back on 2.3 hits, and we've decided on Horde PVP, just gotta pick a server now.
Eredar. I'm playing a little bit again with my roommates.

Ashodin

speedpop said:
Anyone have an inkling of a feeling when 2.3 hits live?

I haven't touched the PTR's so I really wouldn't know how much Blizzard have fiddled with it.
hopefully sometime mid november. I'm aching for the paladin changes to the ret tree.

yacobod

Banned
this thread is dying under the influx of all these new threads in the Online/Matchup Forum

wtf

and Ramirez, if you are looking for a pvp server, i would recommend Tichondrious, instant bg ques, near instant arena ques, huge player base, no server ques, extremely active

i wish i was playing here much earlier, tons of high end guilds, everyone is so geared at lvl 70 its sick

Ashodin

yacobod said:
this thread is dying under the influx of all these new threads in the Online/Matchup Forum

wtf

and Ramirez, if you are looking for a pvp server, i would recommend Tichondrious, instant bg ques, near instant arena ques, huge player base, no server ques, extremely active

i wish i was playing here much earlier, tons of high end guilds, everyone is so geared at lvl 70 its sick
don't worry the fact is that we will always be here and it'll pick up more as 2.3 is released - lots of zul'aman reports to come up with!

My hunt for SPR boosting awesomeness is on...

On my list now:

Light's Justice

~ Prince as been a dick about not dropping this unless it's to an undergeared pally. Dunno why.

Bangle of Endless Blessings

~ It does stack with the EoSM. Yes. Very wrong.

Breeches of the Avatar

~ I have an Imperial Tanzanite with its name on it.

After all this, I'm rockin' 600 SPR raid buffed, and with 30% Meditation, that's insane regen value with Oh Shit OOM buttons aplenty. It's definately nice to be valued outside of guild now for healing; for a while after 2.0, it was Pally or no go for alot of FotM whores in PUG Heroics.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

2.3 patch available on the Background Downloader
This doesn't mean anything, remember that we had to wait weeks between the first download of the 2.2 patch and the release on live servers.
Quote from: Nethaera (Source)
It's the background downloader prepping for 2.3 much like we've done before. It just means we're getting closer.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors

I just used the official wow torrent tracker and got it under an hour.

SatelliteOfLove said:
it was Pally or no go for alot of FotM whores in PUG Heroics.

Paladins may have been the flavor of the month class but there was a damn good reason to take a paladin over other healers in most heroics (before heroics were nerfed). The amount of incoming damage to the tank required a ton of single target healing and because of that healing aggro was a big issue. Both of these play to the strengths of the paladin class. Blessing of salvation is pretty damn helpful too.

ezekial45

Banned
I've got some connection problems with the game.

I've been away from WoW for awhile, but i tried getting back in today. However when i haven't been able to connect. The last server it was set on was a test server and it keeps trying to connect to that. Is there anyway i can set it to another server to connect to?

cubicle47b said:
Paladins may have been the flavor of the month class but there was a damn good reason to take a paladin over other healers in most heroics (before heroics were nerfed). The amount of incoming damage to the tank required a ton of single target healing and because of that healing aggro was a big issue. Both of these play to the strengths of the paladin class. Blessing of salvation is pretty damn helpful too.

I had people flat-out tell me to my PMC-wearing face that they wanted a Pally instead when I went pugging way back when. It was like some twilight world version of release where No Priest in some scrub's mind meant no go and I was assaulted everywhere I went with begging to MH stuff.

Anyways, it's more a knock on FOTM whores. You had guilds scrambling to get pally crews up and running while shoehorning every priest into VT face-melting duty. I've warned my guild as Priest Rep that, if this is as good as it is made out to be, (and I hope it is), we may get an influx of FOTM Priests, like the release I mentioned earlier.

yacobod

Banned
Ramirez said:
I went with Smolderthorn, we're all like 35 now, so too late. Hopefully it turns out okay. :lol

i have a 31 ud warlock that i havent played in a few weeks, i might xfer there depending if you guys need/want a lock

u guys horde or alliance

firex

ezekial45 said:
I've got some connection problems with the game.

I've been away from WoW for awhile, but i tried getting back in today. However when i haven't been able to connect. The last server it was set on was a test server and it keeps trying to connect to that. Is there anyway i can set it to another server to connect to?
yeah, find realmlist.wtf in your WoW directory somewhere. open it up in notepad and there will be a default realm string, something like default realmname=test and just delete the stuff after the = and it will do the whole suggest a server thing.

ToyMachine228 said:
Guys I haven't been playing WoW for months but, I have an important message for all of you. YOU CAN EAT AND DRINK AT THE SAME TIME.

Pst, the game tips tell you that during your first few levels.

BloodElfHunter said:
Sure didn't sound like a joke to anyone.

Yes, someone with three level 70's, including a Paladin, Draenei Shaman, and a Rogue who at 60 had Thunderfury, Iblis, and full Bloodfang, and cleared up to Twin Emps in AQ40 NEVER learned during his year playing WoW that you can eat and drink at the same time. NEVER. NEVER noticed that tool tip.

I quit like 6 months ago. Played for a year or so. The caps lock should have been a clue that it was a joke.

ToyMachine228 said:
Yes, someone with three level 70's, including a Paladin, Draenei Shaman, and a Rogue who at 60 had Thunderfury, Iblis, and full Bloodfang, and cleared up to Twin Emps in AQ40 NEVER learned during his year playing WoW that you can eat and drink at the same time. NEVER. NEVER noticed that tool tip.

I quit like 6 months ago. Played for a year or so. The caps lock should have been a clue that it was a joke.
Wow, you act as if someone stabbed your mom.

Rockman

Wow, I am only now discovering this big thread. Someone please have mercy and save me from going page by page and tell me where the all the Gaffers play, server faction and such. I'd like to join in on the fun. I've got e level 70's alliance all guildless right now going to waste. Hunter/Paladin/Lock.

border

Nobody plays on the same server. Unless all your friends start at the same time and are at the same level of progression, it's notoriously hard to really do anything meaningful together. That's one of the main things that bugs me about the game. Easy to have WoW friends, but difficult to get together with friends you've made outside the game.

yacobod

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Yes, someone with three level 70's, including a Paladin, Draenei Shaman, and a Rogue who at 60 had Thunderfury, Iblis, and full Bloodfang, and cleared up to Twin Emps in AQ40

thanks for qualifying yourself, we're all very impressed

firex

so I read up some on the nerfs ele shamans get in pvp in 2.3. they definitely suck (well, the ES nerf screws over all shamans really) but in a good group it won't be a big problem, I hope. I still really like the 2.3 shaman in pve, at least enhance spec anyway. And if pvping isn't fun with an ele shaman I'll just make him pve ele spec and raid/heroic it up, because I have tf2 if I really want a fun competitive team experience.

yacobod

Banned
i think with the 33% bonus dmg from + healing, i think resto shaman will be the move next season

the 33% bonus dmg from +healing is pretty nuts, priests will be even better as well

Ramirez

Horde leveling is so fuckin' easy compared to Alliance, these last twenty levels will be a breeze considering that patch will probably hit before I'm 45...

SyNapSe

yacobod said:
i think with the 33% bonus dmg from + healing, i think resto shaman will be the move next season

the 33% bonus dmg from +healing is pretty nuts, priests will be even better as well

Yeah, when I saw it I thought it was a pretty sweet idea. Increase the number of healers player, and especially leveling as a healing spec. Allow healing classes to mildly grind without requiring another 70. It does seem to benefit the other healing classes more than Paladins to me in arena's especially. I get the feeling they are going to look to split the paladin base talent-wise as they've done with certain other classes. Ret = pvp, Holy = pve kind of thing

firex

It doesn't really split the value of healing/caster specs either. I mean I still plan on going elemental with my shaman. but what I mean is, if I went elemental I'd have better backup healing utility than a resto would have in backup caster damage utility, since it's about as easy to get 700ish spell damage/healing as it is to get 1500 healing (so about ~500 damage) for example. not a big deal, and I like the change since it means healers can actually do some grinding for daily quests and stuff.

It'll make Leo and Vashj easier; otherwise, that piddly amount of +damage isnt much in pvp or pve. Most Holy/Resto builds have horrible DPS efficiency, and you'll be lacking the +Hit and the +Crit on anything not "Pally". It's not as big as people make it out to be.

yacobod

Banned
SyNapSe said:
Yeah, when I saw it I thought it was a pretty sweet idea. Increase the number of healers player, and especially leveling as a healing spec. Allow healing classes to mildly grind without requiring another 70. It does seem to benefit the other healing classes more than Paladins to me in arena's especially. I get the feeling they are going to look to split the paladin base talent-wise as they've done with certain other classes. Ret = pvp, Holy = pve kind of thing

holy will still be the most played pally spec for arenas, ret will still be a joke, i dont see where it would benefit any arena team to not bring a warrior over a ret paladin

i mean how many successful enhancement shaman do you see in arena?

bengraven

Roxas said:
Has a GAF guild ever been created? Just curious...

I thought it would be kind of cool if Blizzard ever did a free character transfer weekend or something to take some of our higher level characters and put them in one server to create a GAF guild. Having a higher level character you may have some emotional investment in would be a good reason to want to play more often with GAF. Of course, one problem is that if it doesn't work out, it costs you some serious money to switch back to your original server.

The big problem, however, is no one really wants to reroll on a new server with people we barely know. Plus, GAFfers are assholes. Assholes do not make good guildmates. ;)

Twig

Banned
Psh, my guild is nothing BUT assholes, and it's awesome.

Well it was when I first joined, now it's much more PvE-oriented, and it's just getting boring.

speedpop

Basically how my old guild went. We weren't too heavily involved with PVE as most of us were casuals and had other lives at night, sure we ran instances now and again on weekends but most of our fun was through PVP either as a guild premade or filling in slots for some of the more heavily focused PVP guilds.

Of course with the release of TBC, PVP got affected in BG's and Arena came around so most of those big PVP guilds started to delve into PVE. I knew it wasn't really our turn to do the same thing so I disbanded the guild with the consent of the officers.

Sometimes I miss it (especially the weekend banter when half of the guild was drunk) but I know I made the right decision. Most of us seemed to just let go of the game and move on, waiting for the right time to jump back in.

EekTheKat

Anyone here an experienced warrior tank?

I got into an arguement with a warrior in my guild for the most part, who claims that due to a high amount of misses with thunderclap, it's not reasonable for him to keep it up for a good amount of time in fights.

According to him, going about a minute without thunderclap up (vs stuff that we're currently geared for) on certain boss encounters was acceptable.

Then he gets into it with me about how "if he has to keep thunderclap up, he runs the risk of losing aggro."

I just can't see this as acceptable really, one minute is an eternity for healers if the mob is going batshit insane with damage spikes. We had a lot of problems with Prince until I mentioned that thunderclap would go a long way to making the fight reasonable for what we had as a group.

But now, apparently thunderclap is causing an issue. I'm hearing stuff like "Keeping thunderclap up will make me miss a shield block" or "keeping thunderclap up will make me lose aggro."

This tank is also losing aggro vs. our mages too.

From what I understand, Thunderclap is more or less half a sunder in terms of threat. Improved Thunderclap (which this tank is specced for) is almost as good as a sunder if it lands.

Am I wrong in stressing the importance of debuffs on boss mobs? Is it really that hard to keep a good debuff cycle going as a tank?

And honestly, it's BS like this that makes me want to retire from healing and just have fun with WoW again. I'm having a whole lot of fun on my shadow priest, and I'm pretty damn miserable all the time on my holy priest due to having to heal for tanks like this.

Shadow priest is a bit lower stress, and everyone loves the mana regen. And generally I don't have to stress out over our tank ignoring debuffs and then blaming the healers when he's absolutely destroyed by one round of attacks.

EekTheKat

Well, I did a little more reading on this, and apparently the optimal method a lot of guilds use is a second warrior to help debuff?

If that's the case, think I'm going to suggest to my guild to open it up and let pallies and druids tank some more.

It almost seems like it's a lot more feasible to use something like a bear or a pally to MT depending on the situation, rather than throwing a warrior at everything.

speedpop

Bingo. I'd say throw a Feral Druid in, and if that doesn't work then at the very least either another Prot Warrior or a Prot Paladin.

He may be right in regards to Thunderclaps not hitting, but every Prot Warrior has variations in what skills they use and when to use them. Some prefer to use a certain style whereas another might be entirely different.

firex

all three tanks need some degree of hit gear in addition to their tank stuff, but that's mostly addressed with epics. so if the guy had more hit gear he'd miss less with thunderclap. or, TC could still count as a "spell" at least for the debuff, which is retarded but so does taunt in all its forms.

border

Damn....2.3 is happening a lot sooner than I ever thought it would. I've only got about 25K honor points banked -- I guess I'd better get to crackin' for that Season 1 gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom