• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

My local Walmart is weird. They had the W3 Battlechest hidden in a lower corner for years now.

Then they got in the WoW Battlechest the other day and it ended up being hidden BELOW the shelves. Like you had to peek beneath a shelf to find it in the place where usually
people's empty soda bottles and loose price tags fall.

Then they put the W3 Battlechest where the WoW one would have gone. It's obvious someone is very confused.

SyNapSe

It would be fun to all play on one server for a bit. It's been crazy this thread has gone on like this and we are all in different places.

yacobod

Banned
Ramirez said:
Bah, I want to PVP!

you still rolling a warrior?

SyNapSE said:
It would be fun to all play on one server for a bit. It's been crazy this thread has gone on like this and we are all in different places.

start a GAF reroll horde guild on a pvp server, go go go

lets come up with some possible guild names

<I sold my main>

Ramirez

yacobod said:
you still rolling a warrior?

start a GAF reroll horde guild on a pvp server, go go go

lets come up with some possible guild names

<I sold my main>

Yea, I still want to roll warrior, and that guild name would apply to everyone of my friends that would be playing with me. :lol

border

I've probably killed the Headless Horseman 30 times between my warlock and my warrior, and I haven't seen that stupid plate helm drop 1 single time. I know Blizz probably wants to encourage tanks to run this event, but this is retarded. In a week, every other class will have gotten the ring that they want and the only people still doing HH will be a bunch of desperate warriors and paladins.

Daggerspine warrior LFG HH -- can summon

Mairu

border said:
I've probably killed the Headless Horseman 30 times between my warlock and my warrior, and I haven't seen that stupid plate helm drop 1 single time. I know Blizz probably wants to encourage tanks to run this event, but this is retarded. In a week, every other class will have gotten the ring that they want and the only people still doing HH will be a bunch of desperate warriors and paladins.

I had class/work all day today so I haven't done it for Friday but on Thursday I definately did it for at least 4 different groups and had a friend log on a bunch of friends' characters to do the horseman quest. No helm yet either :(

Flambe

border said:

Took me about 25 runs on my warrior to get his helm, definately a pain hehe. Got his ring too, yey.

Got my wife's shadow priest her dmg and healing rings, so she's done (though she wants the pet, not farming that crap =p)

Shammie has his healing and caster dmg ring too, just needs melee =p

And finally mage still needs his dmg ring, rar.

I have a lot of brooms =( Just passing on them now hehe

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm all for a Horde PVP GAF-centric guild, especially in the lead up to 2.3 that might entice us a bit. Only problem would be lack of funds from a higher source to create the guild from scratch.

firex

I've been playing some on the ptr with my pally and shaman, and man do I like the new changes for shamans. it feels like back in the WoW beta when they were actually a hybrid and used a variety of their abilities. Oh, and they fixed the mana problems between focused (for enhance), mana spring's buff, and the new water shield. You can't even cheese water shield for quick mana without getting into combat, so I doubt any kind of nerf will come in. I kind of dread one happening just because the shaman finally feels like it works, and god knows that means Blizzard will find some way to make it un-fun.

Not sure about the pally changes... they're nice and I definitely notice them, but I guess it's just that my pally has crappy dps gear. It's a definite improvement, but they still have the whole crappy ret gear itemization hurdle.

bengraven

Really digging the plate helmet, though I'm sure I can't wear it yet.

No one says what the pet is and WoWWiki and WoW.com are blocked here at work. What is it?

border

Just got my Horsemen's Helm at last! Great upgrade, and it's making me think twice about doing engineering for that other epic helm now (the flying machine still looks cool though).

Over all the runs I got a ground mount for my warrior (warriors look stupid on that broom btw), and a flying epic mount for my warlock (who looks cool on the broom). I also got the Sinister Squashling pet.

There is some retarded lvl61 paladin who sits in Scarlet Monastery all day now, begging to be taken on a run and offering 300g if the helm drops. Everyone keeps railing on him, pointing out that in the time he spends begging for runs he could have leveled to 70 or crafted the engineering helm.....but still he sits with his 300g, talking about how awesome ret pallies are.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hey I don't usually check in too often in this thread, but if you guys do do a GAF centric guild on whatever server, I am interested. I'd assume everyone would be re-rolling. I'd consider going Mage or SP. PM me or something if it gets rolling.

Ripclawe

Banned
Damn it, word is the bear pet won't be tameable when the patch goes live.
30l0vg9.jpg

Ramirez

So, anyone know of a good medium pop PVP server we could roll on? Me and 3 friends are coming back on 2.3 hits, and we've decided on Horde PVP, just gotta pick a server now.

Ramirez said:
So, anyone know of a good medium pop PVP server we could roll on? Me and 3 friends are coming back on 2.3 hits, and we've decided on Horde PVP, just gotta pick a server now.

Demon Soul is decent for the horde, there aren't much ally around anymore at all though.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ramirez said:

Several of the old servers that's been out since WoW's release are a safe bet. If you're looking for alot of PVP action and a PST server, Tichondrius is fine. I currently play on Mannoroth and the population is very decent.

speedpop

Saw this earlier for Shaman.

The first tiers of the enhance talent tree might be changed in the expansion.

Earth shield will be changed, but maybe not in time to be added to the 2.3 patch.
Got happy that they're finally going to rid us of those pesky first tiers in Enhancement but then upset that Earth Shield will cop a change :(

But then it seems that the concerns over it seem to be about Earth Shield being dispelled. Might be interesting to see what Blizzard do about that, I don't have my hopes up because well it's Blizzard fiddling with the Shaman class.

My game time ran out but I'll get another card once we get this Horde reroll thing up off the ground.

firex

hmm. I'm hoping they make it undispellable, just because it sucks to spend 40 points to unlock it and then have it taken away by arcane shot/purge/dispel. not really against it being stolen with spellsteal or anything, I just think it sucks to have such a huge weakness with a 41 point talent.

I wonder what they'll do with first tier enhance... yeah, it sucks, but it opens up so much awesome stuff later. Unless they're just gonna do something like flip thundering strikes and the more mana talent, and then buff more mana so it's actually significant.

speedpop

Yeah I am thinking at the very least the mana % will be increased to be more in line with the same talent that Paladin has.

SyNapSe

Ramirez said:

I have some Horde Characters on Gurubashi. It came out probably around 1.5? I went back to allies, and my guys are relatively poor compared to the others but I've been playing them in BG's and stuff for fun for a while.

It's a medium/high at times, and pretty active I'd say. Maybe some of you guys who want to group up for fun can check it out. If it's ok, I can get people bags and a bit of money to get rolling. I've spent most of my time on another Alli server, but I have a 60 orc hunter who was R10 in the old system, and a 56 Druid - healer that i like to play.

edit: it's US PvP and when it first launched had like a 70+% horde rate, but transfers have changed things I think

border

Recent news from the test realms is sounding great.

You only need "Honored" reputation to run Heroic dungeons, and there is a daily quest that gives you an item to up your rep with a faction (though I'm not sure if the rep is random or you can choose who to rep with). Great news for anyone with an alt that already did the Reputation grind with their main and isn't interested in doing it again.

There is also a Alterac Valley daily quest that rewards 2000 Honor and 12G -- sweet! I worry that their attempt to slow down AV will make this frustrating for the Horde, though. Seems like the longer a match drags on the less likely a Horde win is.

The daily quest that rewards you with badges is ass though -- looks like you have to slog all the way through Heroic Shadow Labs. I can't stand that friggin' place and its huge pulls.

firex

I think the daily dungeon quests give consortium rep. That's what I read on either worldofraids or mmo-champion, anyway.

border

The dungeon quests give [Ethereum Prison Key] used in Netherstorm to get "free" reputation with one of the following faction (random) : Cenarion Expedition / Consortium / Keepers of Time / Lower City / The Sha'tar / Sporeggar (and people will laugh at you for this one)

It sounds like it gives rep with any number of factions, but "random" rep? You mean the game could just randomly choose to rep me with Sporeggar for that day? That would be a crock.

border

The gulf between the regular dungeon daily and the Heroic daily is pretty huge. One is just killing 12 trash mobs in Steamvaults, and the other is killing Heroic Murmur? Yeesh.

Twig

Banned
You can actually get those keys now by killing ethereals in Netherstorm. You use 'em to open up those purple prison orb thingies at... uh... near the Protectorate post. It'll usually spawn some enemy that you kill and get a prisoner tag. That gives rep for Consortium when you turn it in. Sometimes it will spawn various members of other factions, though, as mentioned above. No fighting involved there, just rep for the related faction.

Seems like the longer a match drags on the less likely a Horde win is.
Horde won yesterday in my battlegroup, a 1h22m AV.

Snowfall FTW.

border

Well, nobody ever defends Frostwolf so if Horde gets caught up at Stormpike it's pretty much over. Either you steamroll them or they steamroll you.

And yeah, the only way to make a match last that long is for some tard to capture Snowfall. There's people in my battlegroup that will do it again and again just to grief their own faction. It's kind of funny once in a while to have the entire raid flip out, and they'll yell shit like "Get moving Offense -- I can't stay here guarding Snowfall all day!"

firex

Is heroic SL really that bad? I've never done it, but I used to want the healer mace off Murmur just because of how cool it looks.

and I've decided my orc shammy will go elemental at 70. I just want to decide between pve or pvp elemental spec.

Ramirez

SyNapSe said:
I have some Horde Characters on Gurubashi. It came out probably around 1.5? I went back to allies, and my guys are relatively poor compared to the others but I've been playing them in BG's and stuff for fun for a while.

It's a medium/high at times, and pretty active I'd say. Maybe some of you guys who want to group up for fun can check it out. If it's ok, I can get people bags and a bit of money to get rolling. I've spent most of my time on another Alli server, but I have a 60 orc hunter who was R10 in the old system, and a 56 Druid - healer that i like to play.

edit: it's US PvP and when it first launched had like a 70+% horde rate, but transfers have changed things I think

I had actually picked this server until I got on it and found out it was PST. :lol We're on Smolderthorn, according to the census it's roughly 10K on each side.

Twig

Banned
border said:
Well, nobody ever defends Frostwolf so if Horde gets caught up at Stormpike it's pretty much over. Either you steamroll them or they steamroll you.

And yeah, the only way to make a match last that long is for some tard to capture Snowfall. There's people in my battlegroup that will do it again and again just to grief their own faction. It's kind of funny once in a while to have the entire raid flip out, and they'll yell shit like "Get moving Offense -- I can't stay here guarding Snowfall all day!"
I'm no tard. ):

Also I almost always go on D with a few buddies in my guild, so if I can help it, no one gets Frostwolf. Of course if I'm the only one, I'll just rush in with everyone else. Otherwise i'm usually the ONLY one on D.

firex

I wonder how effective simple attrition will be in AV if it starts to stall at a point (like the motherfucking bridge past SP graveyard). It'll probably lead to annoying stalemates, but oh well.

border

Horde defense is only worth it for like the first 5-10 minutes to stop crucial things from being ninja-ed very early on. Beyond that, it is just needlessly prolonging the game. Assuming you destroy all the towers there is very little difference between winning and losing.

I still don't have any idea how the new AV is supposed to work. The patch notes talk about "reinforcements"....but what the hell does that mean? NPCs? They've already removed every single Elite NPC aside from the bosses. Maybe it means you can only rez players a certain number of times and at some point you will run out and simply win that way?

firex

Reinforcements = each team has a number of reinforcements that are like a resource, like in AB/EotS. but instead of building up, they drop down (by 1 whenever a player dies, and some other amount when towers/galv/balinda are destroyed) and automatically hit 0 if the general is killed.

So basically even if you can't cap an area and it gets stuck somewhere, if you can keep killing the opposing team they'll lose.

border

Bleh -- that sounds like it would have helped out in old-school AV, but what's the point now? Most matches are under 25 minutes as-is.....unless someone Hordie caps Snowfall **shakes fist**

I guess it helps encourage offense because if you just turtle Stormpike like the Allies have occaisionally done, the game might end without them getting any honor from all the objectives down south.

Overall though, it sounds like they just want to stop AV from being the honor farm-fest it is now....they don't really want to improve it. They took out all the elite NPCs that yield 20 Honor per kill.....and it sounds like the mines are now going to be worthless as well.

Twig

Banned
It sounds like they want to make AV players actually think about what they're doing instead of clickclickboom. I always prefer being on defense. Keep the Alliance from getting as much honor as possible. :D
unless someone Hordie caps Snowfall **shakes fist**
GUARDIANS OF SNOWFALL, TO ARMS!

speedpop

One of my favourite tricks back before TBC and before they fixed Earth Shield was to stand in Frostwolf Keep, shove ES on a Warmaster, relog, and do the same to every other one as well as Drek. Would usually take them twice as long especially if they pulled one out and I'd stand at the entrance and throw another down.

A shame Priests learnt how to dispel.

firex

The point now is that apparently you lose a ton of reinforcements if they destroy a tower/kill galv, in addition to losing a warmaster/marshal, so it's supposed to encourage defense on those spots. They made the objectives a lot more important.

I haven't tried it on the ptr, but I'll give it a shot if I can.

firex

I played a game on the new AV and it's not really much better.

Each side starts with 1k reinforcements. towers take off about 60, galv/balinda take off 120, player deaths take off 1. All the new AV really does is reinforce zerging and turtling, and give the towers some slight value. again, due to the shit layout of the BG, alliance has a gigantic advantage defending. The only real difference is there are way less annoying random guards/stupid shit like rams and wolves, and it took like 90 minutes for one game because of all the fucking turtling alliance did (and won doing it).

It's a slight step in the right direction, but just further proof to me of how much of a goddamn joke blizzard's pvp system is. It would be a lot better if they cut the reinforcement amount in half so each side starts with 500. As it is now, if you cap every tower and kill balinda, you'd still have to kill the alliance about 5-6 times each just to finish the map without killing the dwarf boss.

Of course, it doesn't really help that I can play a far more fun and competitive game by loading up tf2, but I guess it's not fair to compare it to WoW's god-forsaken pvp game.

Ashodin

firex said:

Each side starts with 1k reinforcements. towers take off about 60, galv/balinda take off 120, player deaths take off 1. All the new AV really does is reinforce zerging and turtling, and give the towers some slight value. again, due to the shit layout of the BG, alliance has a gigantic advantage defending. The only real difference is there are way less annoying random guards/stupid shit like rams and wolves, and it took like 90 minutes for one game because of all the fucking turtling alliance did (and won doing it).

It's a slight step in the right direction, but just further proof to me of how much of a goddamn joke blizzard's pvp system is. It would be a lot better if they cut the reinforcement amount in half so each side starts with 500. As it is now, if you cap every tower and kill balinda, you'd still have to kill the alliance about 5-6 times each just to finish the map without killing the dwarf boss.

Of course, it doesn't really help that I can play a far more fun and competitive game by loading up tf2, but I guess it's not fair to compare it to WoW's god-forsaken pvp game.
Yeah, you pretty much have to take the whole picture of WoW, and not compare it to a wholly player vs player experience like TF2

yacobod

Banned
wow's current pvp system is just there to be a time sink to aquire your vindicator pieces for season 3

sad but true

if you want good pvp, do arena

border

Is the PVP honor gear (bracers, boots, cape, neck, ring, belt) getting upgraded for the next patch?

I remember when Season 2 started the BG gear saw a relatively insignificant upgrade.

I still think WSG, AB, and EOTS are cool battlegrounds. It's hard not to get sick of AV though, just because the design so heavily favors alliance and the allies themselves are so prone to turtling. So essentially the worst battleground to play is the best battleground for farming honor.....bad situation.

On the test server, what was the average bonus honor for a given AV match (winner and loser)? The only thing that makes AV tolerable is that it generally doesn't matter whether you win or lose, so you don't bent out of shape over your shitty teammates.

yacobod

Banned
border said:
Is the PVP honor gear (bracers, boots, cape, neck, ring, belt) getting upgraded for the next patch?

ya new belt, bracers, boots, neck, ring from honor

while they arent huge upgrades, you do need them if you want to match your new arena set lol

bengraven

Can I assume all the gear the HH drops is 70? So no reason to run my slightly lower level alts through here?

God, I'm fiending for WoW. Over a week with no internet is making me scratch myself as if I was in crack withdrawal.

firex said:

Booo! BRING BACK KORRAK!!!!

border

That's a lot of honor farming for matching armor -- christ, the belt, ring, and neck don't really even show up. And for most Horde races the boots won't either.

Can I assume all the gear the HH drops is 70? So no reason to run my slightly lower level alts through here?
Well, you can certainly get the rings and use them when you get to level 70. But unless you are level 67 or higher I wouldn't expect any groups to bring you along for the ride. Headless Horseman is a lvl 70 boss, and nobody is going to want to bring along dead weight and essentially try to 4-man it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom