• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

uh ya... right...

The Lynx sold fewer than 500K systems in its lifetime...

The Sega Nomad sold only 1 million systems in its lifetime...

The TurboExpress/PCEngine GT sold about 1.5 million systems in its lifetime...

The NGPC sold only 2 million systems in its lifetime... The Wonderswan fewer than that...

Even the Game Gear only sold about 11 million systems in 7 years of production, and fewer than a million in its first year...

But we'll just ignore all that and write off the Vita two and a half months after it's become available worldwide because it's only sold 1.8 million systems? During the worst recession in living memory? Ya, okay...

gotta love the Internet...

I would like to think people are not being serio...

What's so great about Vita and its software lineup right now that it would have really made a difference about its sales if 'things' were better? Like 2007-better? Things are going to get worse, I believe, so I don't see the reason to be more than just timidly positive or just plain quiet about its performance while losing significant money the whole way through. This thing needs a boost far bigger than the unprecedented makeover 3DS got.

Why would things get worse? Do you honestly believe interest will dwindle after new games are announced and released? Or do you honestly think that there will be no games on the horizon for vita?

regarding COD & Vita it is like talking to a brick wall sometimes!

It certainly is. It is mind boggling how many people try to point out that a game wouldn't be worth it on a portable consoles because there will be a version on the home console. As soon as the thought occurred it should have registered how silly that proposition is.

Tookay

Maybe someone else wants to watch TV and I don't want to sit in a dark room alone when I game? Or maybe I want to play during lunch at work? Or maybe I want to play when I go to someone's house?

So you're willing to spend $250 + $40 on a game + whatever you need to spend on a memory card to accomplish this?

Most people aren't going to be willing to go through with that. It isn't going to drive Vita's growth.

liger05

So you're willing to spend $250 + $40 on a game + whatever you need to spend on a memory card to accomplish this?

Most people aren't going to be willing to go through with that. It isn't going to drive Vita's growth.

And thats the main problem. I just cant see people who dont own a Vita ready to splash over $300 just to play a game they can already play on there 360/PS3/PC.

I won my vita, but now I wish I could have won a white one. it's much nicer looking.

Anyway, I hope this system is successful, but not having a UMD program like Japan did was a MONSTROUS mistake, in my opinion. That, couple with no on board memory was really, really fucking stupid.

I currently have like 15 psp games that I haven't played that I would LOVE to play on my Vita, but I will not buy them again. I'd pay a few dollars to get a digital copy, but not full price on PSN.

Backwards compatibility is important for issues like the one that's cropping up now with people saying the Vita has no games. It has games, but now it's in a drought. That's why having the previous gen games available is important. I know there are some titles on PSN, but it leaves old psp owners, probably the same people who picked up the PSP day one, out in the cold. I don't want to go back to playing games on my psp because Vita's screen is so much better, but I have to unless I want to shell out hundreds of dollars to get my collection on my Vita.

My biggest issue with Sony, and has been for such a long time, is ALL of their business choices seem to revolve around fucking their customers and getting them more money. I know companies are in the business to make profits, but there's a line you can cross where you're just making a cash grab and being an asshole. Sony hit that line with the PS3 and crossed it with the Vita.

With the state of portable gaming today, ignoring cell phone gaming is monumentally stupid. We can all talk about how shitty 99 cent games are just that; shitty 99 cent games, but a lot of people who could be possible vita candidates are probably turned off at the pricing. Look at the people in this thread saying "I'll wait for a pricedrop!" Chances are, if you're on GAF, you're relatively hard core. And if the hardcore, the people who tend to support companies through thick or thin are saying "I'll wait for a price drop" I think that speaks volumes about the position Sony has put itself in.

Why would things get worse? Do you honestly believe interest will dwindle after new games are announced and released? Or do you honestly think that there will be no games on the horizon for vita?
The future looks grim to, at least, some of the existing userbase now, who are probably savvy gamers who update themselves on gaming news, and the smell is starting to build. That smell is price drop, so a lot more people will hold off because, unless Sony's got some truly amazing titles to announce that are due this year, more current or former owners will simply advise their friends to wait because everyone knows it's going to happen. Probably a lot of dropped or delayed titles on the horizon, too, just because there isn't anyone to sell to and other mobile opportunities are out there with no signs of slowing down.

The future looks grim to, at least, some of the existing userbase now, who are probably savvy gamers who update themselves on gaming news, and the smell is starting to build. That smell is price drop, so a lot more people will hold off because, unless Sony's got some truly amazing titles to announce that are due this year, more current or former owners will simply advise their friends to wait because everyone knows it's going to happen. Probably a lot of dropped or delayed titles on the horizon, too, just because there isn't anyone to sell to and other mobile opportunities are out there with no signs of slowing down.

Unlikely.

There is nothing reasonable about what you are putting forth. We caught wind of development shifts a long time ago. Chances are there will be alot of games anounced at E3 and released this year and next year.

Again those numbers represent 4 months in Japan, and 5 weeks for other territories. That is way to short of a time for a knee jerk response from sony.

Most people aren't going to be willing to go through with that.
It isn't going to drive Vita's growth.

Spending money on a portable to play games on the go? UNHEARD OF. That is certainly not how the Gameboy, DS and PSP sold millions!! It is because people wanted to stay at home then get the bright idea, to play a game on a smaller screen in a corner somewhere instead of on a console connected to your HDTV. Millions sold, just on a whim.

Seriously? I am hoping some of you guys are kidding by now.

Unlikely.

There is nothing reasonable about what you are putting forth. We caught wind of development shifts a long time ago. Chances are there will be alot of games anounced at E3 and released this year and next year.

Again those numbers represent 4 months in Japan, and 5 weeks for other territories. That is way to short of a time for a knee jerk response from sony.

Well, in that case, I think that it only gets worse if Sony can't manage a price drop this year.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I almost bought one at launch, but couldn't find which 3 games to buy.

Still can't figure out which 3 games to buy, and a bleak future.

Sucks, hardware is kickass.. but in the end hardware only exists to play games.

muu

Spending money on a portable to play games on the go? UNHEARD OF. That is certainly not how the Gameboy, DS and PSP sold millions!! It is because people wanted to stay at home then get the bright idea, to play a game on a smaller screen in a corner somewhere instead of on a console connected to your HDTV. Millions sold, just on a whim.

Have you heard of these new touchscreen cellphones? They're called Smartphones and they're pretty popular. It's one of the primary reasons 3DS is still struggling in the states, and Nintendo even used to have the kids market by the ballsacs.

Tookay

You seem incapable of logic.

Yes, handhelds sold a lot.

But they also had unique, exclusive games on them that were system sellers because they were well-suited to a handheld device and could not be found anywhere else.

COD can be found elsewhere. It is available on your home console already. For a much cheaper cost of entry.

A port doesn't change things.

Have you heard of these new touchscreen cellphones? They're called Smartphones and they're pretty popular. It's one of the primary reasons 3DS is still struggling in the states, and Nintendo even used to have the kids market by the ballsacs.
And what does that have to do with the company NOT focused around casuals?

You seem incapable of logic.

Yes, handhelds sold a lot.

But they also had unique, exclusive games on them that were system sellers because they were well-suited to a handheld device and could not be found anywhere else.

COD can be found elsewhere. It is available on your home console already. A port doesn't change things.

Your history of handhelds seem to be poor. First of all even going back to the early days, it was never because those games couldn't be found elsewhere, it was simply because people could play the games they wanted on the go. That is how the gameboy dominated the market.

Also, Nearly all handhelds (and consoles) sell on a expectation and are boosted by exclusives BUT that doesn't mean systems can exist by ignoring MP titles. MP titles help bring in an audience that look for something familiar first before they jump to something exclusive.

Further more your point STILL doesn't tackle the fact that some people may want to play COD on the go and pointing out an iteration on the home console does NOTHING to satisfy that particular niche.

You're making broad statements without thinking of the "why" behind the purchases.

People bought Mario 64 DS because it was an enhanced port of Mario 64, a beloved, solid game getting its first remake.

People bought Mario Kart DS because it was Nintendo's first real online game, the first chance to play Mario Kart online. Double Dash was 2 years prior, MK Wii was 3 years later. It had the kart market to itself.

There was no Nintendogs alternative on consoles, certainly nothing that provided that level of experience portably.

Same for Animal Crossing - it was a new version of the game with a lot more content, and having it portable made it easy to check in once a day for a short while. Its predecessor had also been released 3 years prior.

Pokemon hasn't had a full console RPG yet. People have no alternative fix, you buy the portable version or you get crappy turn-based arena fights.

Or look at 3DS - Mario 3D Land isn't available on any other platform, there's nothing like it. Mario Kart 7 is again a big new update, different from its predecessor, which incidentally was released 3 years prior. Kid Icarus is a long-awaited revival of a franchise not touched in 25 years, and it's very unique.

Every high-selling Nintendo portable game is either unique to the portable or clearly separated by years from the last console iteration, with lots of new features to set it apart. Each game releases exactly when the public starts to feel the urge for a new one.

Now imagine a Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart releasing every year, separated from a portable release of the same game by a few months. The portable game is still good in its own right, but there's little to differentiate it from the console version. Still think they'll sell as well as in the other scenario?

Your history of handhelds seem to be poor. First of all even going back to the early days, it was never because those games couldn't be found elsewhere, it was simply because people could play the games they wanted on the go. That is how the gameboy dominated the market.

Nope. It wasn't to play the games they wanted on the go. It was to have games on the go, period. A thirst that is now slaked by other pocket time-wasters.

Portable games now require a good reason to exist. You can't port DuckTales to 4 color grayscale with half the levels and call it a day, because people will ask themselves why they should buy it.

danno1769

Neo Member
Looks Good to me!

MK will hold me over to resistance and resistance will hold me over to the next.. Im fine with Vita. Then again Im a fighting game player so Im spoiled =P

The Vita has been out in (fiscal year ended on 31st of March):
JP for 3½ months
US for 1½ months
EU for 1¼ months

So no, it's not Vita's first 6 months.
Likewise 3DS had been out in:

JP for 1¼ months
NA for 1 week
EU for 1 week

So it's not like 3 months accurately describes it either. The real ranges actually favor Vita to a greater degree.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Call of Duty won't make me buy a Vita. I'll probably by Blops 2 for some reason though.

I want Valkariya Chronicles (4?), Monster Hunter, LoH:TiTS2, Vita exclusives... I want full fledged portable games.

kuroshiki

Call of Duty won't make me buy a Vita. I'll probably by Blops 2 for some reason though.

I want Valkariya Chronicles (4?), Monster Hunter, LoH:TiTS2, Vita exclusives... I want full fledged portable games.

None of those games you mentioned are full fledged portable games.

At this point valkyria series is pretty much dead.

Trails in the Sky 2 won't be playable on Vita unless Falcom releases them on PSN.

Monster hunter, I wouldn't count on it.

Tookay

Also, Nearly all handhelds (and consoles) sell on a expectation and are boosted by exclusives BUT that doesn't mean systems can exist by ignoring MP titles. MP titles help bring in an audience that look for something familiar first before they jump to something exclusive.

Further more your point STILL doesn't tackle the fact that some people may want to play COD on the go and pointing out an iteration on the home console does NOTHING to satisfy that particular niche.

Look, COD on Vita will sell. There's no doubt. I'm merely saying that it isn't the savior system seller Vita needs, and it's tiresome that it's constantly trotted out like it will fix everything.

As for my knowledge of handheld history, I don't think you got that right at all. Look at Tetris. Look at Pokemon, the biggest killer app out there. Those were games that were unique to the handheld environment and were designed with those limitations in mind. There was also nothing comparable to them available on home consoles for a long time.

Furthermore, just because history worked one way 20 years ago doesn't mean it works the same way now. The handheld market has changed so much due to the influx of smart phones that the Vita/3DS (as well as their libraries) have to justify themselves in a different way than they did back then.

Anyway, it looks like UncleSporky is making a better version of my argument for me, so I'll direct you to his post.

zDeathMagneticz

Neo Member
How to save vita:

announce this:

1ey5q.jpg

or this:

Ewwc5.jpg

heck even this will do:

3oG3C.jpg

Call of Duty vita has already been announced orange

kuroshiki

I won my vita, but now I wish I could have won a white one. it's much nicer looking.

Anyway, I hope this system is successful, but not having a UMD program like Japan did was a MONSTROUS mistake, in my opinion. That, couple with no on board memory was really, really fucking stupid.

I currently have like 15 psp games that I haven't played that I would LOVE to play on my Vita, but I will not buy them again. I'd pay a few dollars to get a digital copy, but not full price on PSN.

Backwards compatibility is important for issues like the one that's cropping up now with people saying the Vita has no games. It has games, but now it's in a drought. That's why having the previous gen games available is important. I know there are some titles on PSN, but it leaves old psp owners, probably the same people who picked up the PSP day one, out in the cold. I don't want to go back to playing games on my psp because Vita's screen is so much better, but I have to unless I want to shell out hundreds of dollars to get my collection on my Vita.

My biggest issue with Sony, and has been for such a long time, is ALL of their business choices seem to revolve around fucking their customers and getting them more money. I know companies are in the business to make profits, but there's a line you can cross where you're just making a cash grab and being an asshole. Sony hit that line with the PS3 and crossed it with the Vita.

With the state of portable gaming today, ignoring cell phone gaming is monumentally stupid. We can all talk about how shitty 99 cent games are just that; shitty 99 cent games, but a lot of people who could be possible vita candidates are probably turned off at the pricing. Look at the people in this thread saying "I'll wait for a pricedrop!" Chances are, if you're on GAF, you're relatively hard core. And if the hardcore, the people who tend to support companies through thick or thin are saying "I'll wait for a price drop" I think that speaks volumes about the position Sony has put itself in.

I will play devil's advocate here.

UMD program in Japan was a joke. I'm not even going to explain why.

The system has been released for less than half a year now. Give it a little break.

Also, Sony and publishers just need to drop the price of old PSP games on PSN so people can double dip without much financial burden. If price is around $10 to $15, I'm sure a lot of people will have no complain about double dipping.

Kazerei

Banned
So if I get this right, the 3DS sold 3,61 mil units in its first 3 months, and the Vita 1,8 mil in its first 6 months? Doesn't sound too good.

Like gogogow and lunchwithyuzo, the time frames aren't simply 3 months and 6 months.

Also, those are sell-in numbers. Sell-through numbers are roughly 1.45M for Vita in fiscal year ending March 2012, and 1.64M for 3DS in fiscal year ending March 2011.

Nope. It wasn't to play the games they wanted on the go. It was to have games on the go, period. A thirst that is now slaked by other pocket time-wasters.

Portable games now require a good reason to exist. You can't port DuckTales to 4 color grayscale with half the levels and call it a day, because people will ask themselves why they should buy it.

Again, look to history again. The gameboy was NEVER alone on the market. People purchased it because of the games that were on it and since ninty was the most popular at the time their handheld stomped out the competition.

It is a huge misconception that price will always beat over quality. If that was true Tiger handhelds would have dominated the market and the gameboy wouldn't have succeeded. There has been no shortage of challengers, with varying price, quality and aesthetics and the only thing that is obvious is the people were following franchises.

After 20+ years of existence and pushing these franchises on, sure the spin on some games keep things fresh and the unique IP bolsters the library, it is entirely unbelievable to imply that unique IP alone is what kept nintendo at the top nor is it what is separating it from phones.

As always, buttons and quality separates the handheld from phones, and the handhelds will live or die by what they have to offer to target audience. Nintendo fans (as sales have shown) prefer familiar nintendo IP, Sony as always relies on satisfying as many niches as possible. None of the companies have really changed their ethos, but at least this time around Sony is becoming or flexible in terms of what devs need and they planned for the vita support as a promise. I doubt they are going to repeat what happened with the PSP and I am sure we will see titles announced at E3. If sales are still bad by the end of the year I will understand the price drop talks.

Different people are different. Most will say "fuck it" and play Angry Birds. Good for them.

Others will say "I really wanna play great Nintendo Games" and get a 3DS. Good for them.

Others will say "I really want a high powered console in my hands" and get a PSV. Good for them.

I got all 3. Right now I'm in Vita mode. Right now I do most of my gaming on my commute to and from work. Don't have much time during the week to game and Angry Birds doesn't cut it. I *do* want a full console experience on the go and I am wiling to invest money into it to do so. There are plenty of people that would prefer a high powered portable. The key for Sony is to make the Vita attractive enough for them to take the plunge.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Like gogogow and lunchwithyuzo, the time frames aren't simply 3 months and 6 months.

Also, those are sell-in numbers. Sell-through numbers are roughly 1.45M for Vita in fiscal year ending March 2012, and 1.64M for 3DS in fiscal year ending March 2011.

So, once they release Mario Land and Mario Kart they'll be fine :(

I love my Vita...I'm not in the "doomed" camp, though, until after E3. I have a feeling Sony's E3 really focuses on Vita.

kunonabi

played the vita for the first time at GS and I can't see myself picking it up before a hardware revision, price drop, and a stellar software library(Gravity daze just isn't enough). The analog sticks, triggers, and start select buttons felt awful. I have small hands and the whole thing felt unwieldy. I was indifferent before but now I'm actually turned off from the console entirely.

Look, COD on Vita will sell. There's no doubt. I'm merely saying that it isn't the savior system seller Vita needs, and it's tiresome that it's constantly trotted out like it will fix everything.

I agree with you there. Chances are because of the diverse base that follows sony consoles, one title won't fix everything, but a library of titles might satisfy enough tastes.

As for my knowledge of handheld history, I don't think you got that right at all. Look at Tetris. Look at Pokemon, the biggest killer app out there. Those were games that were unique to the handheld environment and were designed with those limitations in mind. There was also nothing comparable to them available on home consoles for a long time.

Teris first came out on PC. Then sega had an arcade version. Then tetris made it to the NES a month before the version for the gameboy version came out. The gameboy version was the most popular but by no means was it unique.

Glix

played the vita for the first time at GS and I can't see myself picking it up before a hardware revision, price drop, and a stellar software library(Gravity daze just isn't enough). The analog sticks, triggers, and start select buttons felt awful. I have small hands and the whole thing felt unwieldy. I was indifferent before but now I'm actually turned off from the console entirely.

Really?

The Vita is fine for me. The sticks are AMAZING for a portable, no other portable controller has come close in terms of buttons, dpad, and stick. They are all better than any other portable ever.

Gravity Daze is not even close to the only reason to own one. I mean, if you are not interested in the other games, that is fine (although you must have a pretty limited scope of what kinds of games you enjoy), but you make it sound like Gravity Daze is the only good/worthwhile game on the system.

Tookay

Teris first came out on PC. Then sega had an arcade version. Then tetris made it to the NES a month before the version for the gameboy version came out. The gameboy version was the most popular but by no means was it unique.

Fair enough on that account. (Knew there were versions of Tetris I hadn't known about.)

This was a case of portability fitting the series better than being on a console, and the fact that it was a pack-in from the beginning, convincing millions to buy it later as it was the primary Game Boy game. Like in Animal Crossing, it's easier to pop in for a few to kill some time at the bus stop than it is to sit down in front of a TV. Who wanted to do that for Tetris?

And these days that's what sells on smartphones: the quick experiences. Who wants to play Angry Birds at home on their TV?

Perhaps you could find other examples of games that sold better on handheld than console during their heyday? We've given examples why a CoD Vita wouldn't be a massive system seller as long as CoD console exists simultaneously - namely, that all previous system sellers were unique to the portable (Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Pokemon). Can you give counterexamples? I'm not looking for simple logic, I'd like to actually see some games.

Damnit. I don't want the Vita to die. I love playing games on that screen!
Don't worry, it's going to be more common on other devices, so Vita will have had a nice early look, but other mobile devices will surely see newer, better-performing displays for faster action and more resolution. This is basically a timed-exclusive aspect of the device.

massoluk

Banned
I agree with you there. Chances are because of the diverse base that follows sony consoles, one title won't fix everything, but a library of titles might satisfy enough tastes.

That's the more of the case of existing series being a much better fit for the new systems (just like MonHun)

pvpness

Yikes. Saw the writing on the wall bout this beast, but this is bad. Glad I flipped it when I had the chance, made a couple bucks on it too. It was the first video game console that I've ever gotten rid of and I figured I would regret it after E3. Now I can look forward to some new games after E3 and a healthy price drop before I jump back in! win/win

I'm a big Sony fan and I was against the Vita from the start. It has way too much competition. That money could have been wisely invested in PS3 exclusives or PS4 development instead. I hope it does well, but I feel things are dire.

yurinka

A lot of delusional people here!

Let's look at JUST Japan for a minute:

1st Quarter 2012 (Jan 1st through March 31st)

3DS: 1,240,445
Vita: 202,504

Most of the 1.8 million sales are front loaded from the Vita Launch. Vita sales have been abysmal. I eagerly await NPD today for the US figures.
The difference is a recent crazy pricecut + Mario/Mario Kart/Monster Hunter releases in Japan combined, vs no pricecut+no Japanese market focused games.
This comparision isn't fair, it would be better to compare it vs 3DS Japanese sales during 2nd Quarter 2011.

pricecut + games is all it needs.

sales are quite sad considering the hardware is amazing. :/

Sony also needs to match the pricing structure of the App Store for their games. Why does PvZ cost 3 bucks on iOS yet 15 on PSV's Store?

They need to give gamers a fiscal reason to play those types of titles.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tempted to sell mine, but gonna wait 'till E3 to see what games are lined up. Sony needs to show some heavy hitters. Bioshock, Call of Duty, Resistance, Killzone, and whatever Japan is working on.

They should have had two quality titles released per month after the handheld launched. I'm talking about titles that show the strengths of the hardware and titles that make the handheld worth owning. Nintendo made the same mistake with the 3DS. Don't bother launching new hardware if you don't have the software to back it.

Tempted to sell mine, but gonna wait 'till E3 to see what games are lined up. Sony needs to show some heavy hitters. Bioshock, Call of Duty, Resistance, Killzone, and whatever Japan is working on.

Bioshock isn't going to be shown until next year at the earliest. By then it could very well end up canceled or moved to XBLA/PSN

heyf00L

Maybe someone else wants to watch TV and I don't want to sit in a dark room alone when I game? Or maybe I want to play during lunch at work? Or maybe I want to play when I go to someone's house?

"Hey, bro, I'm coming over to you house so I can play CoD."

We already have plenty of experience to know that home-console games on-the-go doesn't sell portable systems. I'm all for putting full games on the device, but it's not going to move hardware.

They should have had two quality titles released per month after the handheld launched. I'm talking about titles that show the strengths of the hardware and titles that make the handheld worth owning. Nintendo made the same mistake with the 3DS. Don't bother launching new hardware if you don't have the software to back it.

I'm a pretty big critic of Vita, but to be candid, I don't think their software launch lineup was horrible. I think Vita's problems are more fundamental - it's too expensive and its differentiating factors are weak.

yurinka

We already have plenty of experience to know that home-console games on-the-go doesn't sell portable systems.
I see a lot of home console IPs in 3DS, and nobody complains about it.
If it doesn't work in Sony portables why are they doing the same with 3DS?

Top Bottom