• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would anyone be surprised by a new XBOX in 2017/2018 ?

UraMallas

I would think they are definitely looking at 2018 internally to see if that's feasible. 5 years on the market is historically normal but after last gen's lengthy lifespan, I wonder what the market would think about 5 years. 4 years is out of the question and it's not as if Xbone is in the same position as Xbox 1 was. Lots of money to be made in that Year 5 but they do need to weigh a Year 6 against getting a head start on Gen 9.

CoG

I think the 9th gen consoles will just be faster version of the current consoles with better GPUs/CPUs/memory. I think x64 is the standard for consoles going forward. Gone are the days of exotic hardware configs. The only thing that will change will be the OS and software features. And no, current gen consoles will not be able to play 9th gen games just slower, it will be a true next generation.

I do not think MS would want to do that.

Reasons (not in any particular order):

1. They lose the goodwill of the developers and publishers who are already working on new games for the current xbox
2. They admit that they have lost to PS
3. They will lose again because PS will come out with a system that is more powerful than the new xbox
4. Developers will keep on supporting PS4 which has a huge install base, so the games for the new xbox will not look anything like they should
5. Developers will want to maximize profits, so they will not start making new games for the new console immediately, resulting in a console starved of games

Snakeyes

Rushing to get out a new console is suicide. The dominant player will still be a PS4, and games will be made with that in mind. There simply won't be enough gain to get people to jump ship midstream, and you'll only burn the loyal that aren't ready to drop another $400+.
Worked pretty well for the 360.

Sydle

A "new" Xbox One with more powerful hardware would be the worst idea in the world for Microsoft

I don't see how they can avoid more frequent hardware refreshes in the long term.

They're forging ahead on enabling gamers to choose to play their games on any Windows 10 device, so it seems like they would run the risk of letting other manufacturers eat into their hardware sales of the Xbox if any Windows 10 machine could play Xbox games. Maybe they'd be okay with that though.

They're doing yearly refreshes of Surface to keep it interesting and to keep making it better. I don't know if annual Xbox refreshes are in the cards, but maybe every 2-3 years sounds pretty reasonable if the games are truly cross-platform.

If we are talking about drastic measures why not just redesign the one? Give it a more potent GPU and CPU and make it much smaller and power efficient.

Sure, the current user base will scream bloody murder but when you are being outsold so solidly make a bold play for new customers.

If you have arguably the better network and app library and can play games at 1080p 60 FPS for every title there is suddenly a very attractive proposition.

Create an upgrade program for current users.

But an entire new gen kicked off? It'd be massively expensive and might kill the platform.
If you want to generate more sales you got to have a completely new Xbox product. "Xbox One" will always be associated with the issues MS had.

I do not think MS would want to do that.

Reasons (not in any particular order):

1. They lose the goodwill of the developers and publishers who are already working on new games for the current xbox
2. They admit that they have lost to PS
3. They will lose again because PS will come out with a system that is more powerful than the new xbox
4. Developers will keep on supporting PS4 which has a huge install base, so the games for the new xbox will not look anything like they should
5. Developers will want to maximize profits, so they will not start making new games for the new console immediately, resulting in a console starved of games

mainly 3. if we're going by the forums people are absolutely obsessed with stronger hardware so it's just better to wait it out even if PS5 comes out a month before they do, if we're going by how people react to 60fps/1080p a few years from now its going to be 140fps/4k lol

novablue

Banned
I think this time they want to go third, I can't imagine them going second again after E3 2013 lol. I think they will just chill and wait out the storm until 2020. MS is also probably waiting for the NX and PSVR to pop up before they plan their move. MS just need to get the bad perception of the X1 out of people's minds, have some 3rd party deals and bring some good exclusives to the table.

Freeman

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised by MS changing their strategy and just turning their Xbox business in a SteamMachine like business. It makes sense for them as a company, it leverage what they build into the console business to increase their presence in PC gaming while also putting Windows in a better position.

Releasing a new Xbox in the traditional format would be asking to just get stomped like the Dreamcast or the WiiU were, PS4 just has too much momentum right now. You looks at the future lineup of the PS4 and the XB1 and its clear that MS will have to do something.

Snakeyes

I'm I the only one who thinks MS is going more of a steam box?

Not at all. It's the proposition that makes the most sense if Microsoft wants to realize their vision of unifying the Windows 10/Xbox ecosystem. Shorter hardware refreshes, potentially even a higher-end version of the Xbox Two for the enthusiasts that are willing to pay a premium for the best possible performance in a home console.

jax

Banned
Nintendo has NX, Sony has Morpheus, Microsoft has gotta have something, and a more powerful One does sound nice. You may be on to something here.

Coxy100

Banned
So soon after buying a xb1? I'd be pissed. If they offered a sweetener though - a discount if you'd bought a xb1 - then I'd bite.

Anyway, personally I'm really happy with my xb1 - so I'm in no rush

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The Xbone isn't nearly unnecessarily enough to merit an entirely new version. It's doing perfectly fine, just losing out to Ps4 is all.

Xbone_812e74_4804021.jpg

Wouldn't mind a redesign though, still can't get the fat VCR look out of my head, easily my least favourite console design this gen. Not that the Ps4 or Wii U designs are blowing minds.

The white Xbox One actually looks pretty cool (I own it).

Also, I've come to appreciate the size and external power brick, because the system is whisper quiet. My PS4 is a blow dryer with some games (and even playing movies!).

novablue

Banned
mainly 3. if we're going by the forums people are absolutely obsessed with stronger hardware so it's just better to wait it out even if PS5 comes out a month before they do, if we're going by how people react to 60fps/1080p a few years from now its going to be 140fps/4k lol

True that, product releasing is a waiting game that depends on chance, why waste it? Sony did and it worked out brilliantly for them.

Bsigg12

Not a chance. 2019 at the very earliest, maybe 2020. I doubt if half the games they have announced will be out by 2018.

Which games? The only game without a 2016 release date is Crackdown 3.

Recore - Spring 2016
Gears 4 - Holiday 2016
Scalebound - Holiday 2016 (maybe different, info grabbed from IGN)
Halo Wars 2 - Fall 2016
Quantam Break - April 5, 2016
Sea of Thieves - 2016
Cuphead - 2016

woen

I don't see new consoles happening until 2020

Well NX is 2016 or 2017, it's a new gen for Nintendo, and this one will last.

If the gen lasts from 2013 to 2019-2021 (we have longer dev cycles etc) then there is a need for great optimization and graphical improvements, like it happened between the beginning of the 360/PS3 era and the end of it. But I believe there's less margin between the first new-gen games and what could be achieved. I wish I'll be wrong though, with the next Rockstar open-world or the next Naughty Dog.

Because decent PC gaming will cost less and less for 1080p@60fps on most multi-plat titles, and for a little more money you can get 1440p@60fps (in 21:9!), soon 4K.

Also, I imagine they will transform Xbox into a sort of Windows 10 console, with no real exclusive (shared with PC) but more of a relatively cheap gaming platform compared to 800-1300€ PC, ready to use and with some advantages compared to the PS4 (easier access to PC games (?), , mods, free online, media center etc).) That's the only way they can make the Xbox brand survive.
But they already lost to Sony in the markets, and, in my opinion, for the exclusives games and licences (especially if you own a decent PC).

I could see new hardware iterations that allow for

1. full 100% forward and BC compatibility
2. new hardware opportunities, specifically 4k and VR
3. rental models

So I'd like to see an Xbox Two (better name tho) that is basically an updated PC that also comes with a Vive or Oculus Rift, and Microsoft doesn't sell it but rents it for $20-30/mo with $0 down on a 2 year contract like mobile phones. Pay $10 more and get Netflix, $20 more and get sports, etc. I'd expect more Gold games per month with this model too.

Its 100% BC with all Xbox One games, but in a clever move all Xbox Two games ALSO work with Xbox Ones, just running a different config file and lowering visual quality similar to the way all PC games work. That way publishers can just ship a single disc, Xbox Two users get better IQ and access to better VR but otherwise the same.

Maybe it won't happen in this generation but I totally expect #1-3 to happen by the next one, and a move to all digital games as well. We'll see a bigger confluence with mobile gaming too as we move to this all digital, everything on the cloud, device independent gaming model.

I don't see how they can avoid more frequent hardware refreshes in the long term.

They're forging ahead on enabling gamers to choose to play their games on any Windows 10 device, so it seems like they would run the risk of letting other manufacturers eat into their hardware sales of the Xbox if any Windows 10 machine could play Xbox games. Maybe they'd be okay with that though.

They're doing yearly refreshes of Surface to keep it interesting and to keep making it better. I don't know if annual Xbox refreshes are in the cards, but maybe every 2-3 years sounds pretty reasonable if the games are truly cross-platform.

The upgrade plan every certain period of time makes sense on PC but not on consoles at least not now, but I agree with you I really think the future of the Xbox brand will be a service not only a console sure a new console will launch but I can definitely see all of the Xbox games on Windows 10 with cross buy, some with cross play etc in the future.

If we are talking about drastic measures why not just redesign the one? Give it a more potent GPU and CPU and make it much smaller and power efficient.

Sure, the current user base will scream bloody murder but when you are being outsold so solidly make a bold play for new customers.

If you have arguably the better network and app library and can play games at 1080p 60 FPS for every title there is suddenly a very attractive proposition.

Create an upgrade program for current users.

But an entire new gen kicked off? It'd be massively expensive and might kill the platform.

latest

A bit random, but nevertheless just curious: why do you always write mS ? I guess it just looks weird to me haha; shouldn't it be Ms anyway if you want to emphasises the capital M since the 's' is never capitalised? I mean personally, I'd advise writing MS since that seems the norm, but hey, whatever floats your boat :p

oldmanshoutsatcloud.jpg
pretty simple. it's because I used to type M$ but I didn't realize it was against the rules. but there's no real good reason why I capitalize S and leave the m down. Ms is too common.

Snakeyes

that only worked because sony messed up launch badly. If ps4 was cheap and had online from the onset, the 360 would have never sold as much as it it did.

We can say something very similar about how the PS4 and Xbox One turned out. Who knows what kind of mistakes or omissions Sony could make with the PS5 based on how much of a cakewalk it was for them to win the current gen?

I think that if Microsoft has a sound concept for the system, enough of a power jump to make the graphics clearly look next-gen and strong first-party software, there's really no reason to delay the release just because some people may or may not jump ship from the PS4, and with consoles being so close to PCs nowadays, it's not like third party devs will have a hard time taking advantage of the extra power either.

2017 seems a bit too early but late 2018 would work if Sony launches within the next 12 months. 5 years is long enough for XB1 owners not to feel burned and not so early that Sony would have a significant power advantage by launching a year later.

timewyrm

Personally, I don't see what the hell MS could offer with a new console. It appears as if most X1 games will be released for PC anyway, so basically the X2 would be a steam machine (imo). Sony, on the other hand have exclusives that aren't available on the pc.

Expecting the Xbox Raspberry Pi(e) in late 2018.

autoduelist

Worked pretty well for the 360.

Very, very different climate and consumer bases.

Everyone (consumers, developers, etc) benefit from having both consoles be fairly similar in overall power. If we had console releases staggered by years, too often games would be designed for the lowest common denominator due to install base.

Most PS4 owners aren't going to be ready to buy a new console in 2017/18, and only some XB1 users will [the early adopters]. Meanwhile, you burn existing XB1 owners, and the software will still be developed with the dominant PS4 in mind (and XB1, to be honest...).

Not to mention, even in the event MS did launch a new console early, I would assume Sony has contingency plans in place to counter it [either by releasing something themselves [doubtful] or a significant price cut on PS4. I think enthusiasts / early adopters greatly overestimate the number of people ready to drop $400 on a new console when this gen is just starting to hit its pace.

Sydle

Personally, I don't see what the hell MS could offer with a new console. It appears as if most X1 games will be released for PC anyway, so basically the X2 would be a steam machine (imo). Sony, on the other hand have exclusives that aren't available on the pc.

Expecting the Xbox Raspberry Pi(e) in late 2018.

Another choice of where to play Windows 10/Xbox games and Live is about it.

Erimriv

Im ready for 2017, Im enjoying great games now from MS first party and 2016 will be great with Quantum Break, Scalebound, Crackdown 3, Recore, Sea of Thieves etc... Same with third party games, Im really very happy with F4, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein, Batman AK, MadMax etc... Waiting for Deux Ex, Ciberpunk, new Rockstar game, Dishonored 2, new Star Wars single player game etc.

Hope to have a new box on 2017, 1080p 60fps with 16gb of HBM2 memory or whatever.

Head.spawn

I wouldn't be totally shocked, but then again I am not buying unless it would be completely backwards compatible with Xbone, if it were coming out that soon.

TaterTots

Banned
People tend to forget that last gen was unusually long. I can't imagine such a life cycle with current consoles. MS will want to get out ahead of Sony, so I can imagine a late 2018 release. If they want to be successful they need to talk about games and deliver the more powerful hardware.

I wouldn't be totally shocked, but then again I am not buying unless it would be completely backwards compatible with Xbone, if it were coming out that soon.

I think that is a given considering what they are doing with 360 BC and cross-buy etc, they will make that as easy as possible for next-gen and not leave it behind

M.D

Are people under the illusion that Microsoft can decide to launch a new console generation and the entire market will follow? I mean, they can if they want it to be a complete failure
Microsoft is in no position to dictate terms or time frames to publishers and the market as a whole, they don't control any market of significance or have a brand new toy like Kinect 2 that excites publishers

The launch dates of next gen depend far more on Son'y and the third party publishers decisions

kodecraft

The Xbone isn't nearly unnecessarily enough to merit an entirely new version. It's doing perfectly fine, just losing out to Ps4 is all.

Xbone_812e74_4804021.jpg

Wouldn't mind a redesign though, still can't get the fat VCR look out of my head, easily my least favourite console design this gen. Not that the Ps4 or Wii U designs are blowing minds.

The Xbox One was designed to be like a cable box. That's why it looks the way it does. MS wanted it to fit in with your current entertainment setup and disappear within it. Minimalist cable box design.

Xbox One looks like your cable companies DVR boxes.

Rosur

I can see it if it has backwards compatibility (shouldn't be hard this time as doubt they will change architecture and if they do they will do something similar to the 360) otherwise I don't see one until 2019ish

Would love to see a new Xbox in 2018 or 19.

XboxOne already struggles with a lot of titles. Sure they can keep up detail levels etc, but often Resolution or fps are worse than on PS4.

And first party games so far dont look so impressive. Quantum Break is the first im impressed with.

I would love to see a upgrade. Everyone is complaining that we dont need new consoles, but cmon you are not forced to switch right away. We had the same arguments from last to this gen.

I can really see Microsoft going for the 360 tactic again. Launching before Sony etc

Are people under the illusion that Microsoft can decide to launch a new console generation and the entire market will follow? I mean, they can if they want it to be a complete failure
Microsoft is in no position to dictate terms and time frames to publishers and the market as a whole, they don't control any market of significance or have a brand new toy like Kinect 2 that excites publishers

The launch dates of next gen depend far more on Son'y and the third party publishers decisions

Ubisoft in particular didn't like such a long generation last time, so perhaps third-parties won't have an issue

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-thinks-ps4-xbox-one-gen-should-last-5-years/ (CVG interview but sourced there given CVG are gone)

kswiston

People tend to forget that last gen was unusually long.

Considering the fact that it takes first and third parties forever to get going now, I think last gen is going to be more typical of what we will see going forward. Perhaps 6 years instead of 7.

A lot of people seem to think they'll stick with x86. Have AMD CPUs really advanced significantly from what current gen has? I know Intel's are comparatively better, but a lot more expensive.

Last Gen everyone was okay with drawing things out. By all accounts the 360 was a huge success for Microsoft. Sony was in no position to relaunch in the first half of the generation, and they turned the PS3 around in the second half of it's life cycle. Nintendo was riding high. When it was all said and done it benefited everyone to wait out the generation.

Now? MS and Nintendo probably want a do over. We know the NX is coming out in a year or two. It's going to be a shorter generation for everyone.
The thing is, in the battle between Sony and MS, Nintendo doesn't matter. It's been pretty clear on the home console side of things that the real battle is between Sony and Microsoft. Yes, Wii was a super success, but it was just the lightning bolt the stemmed the inevitable downward console cycle which continued with U. Even if NX hits next year, I really don't see it doing much, if anything, to MS and Sony's console business. Portable side is a different matter of course, since it looks like Sony's not going to go back there.

I wonder if MS did launch in the timeframe the OP mentioned, whether Sony would react. PS4 is doing pretty well, no need to kill it off early. At the same time, I wonder if MS would kill XBO off early after all that investment.

Xbone_812e74_4804021.jpg

We have a vcr similar to that at home. It's collecting dust.

Top Bottom