• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would MS ever leave gaming?

Crayon

They were in gaming before xbox. Games were just part of their software portfolio. Do you mean leave gaming or phase out xbox? Because leaving gaming will be a little difficult after spending almost 80 billion.

Last edited:
They only leave after all options, including monopolizing and crushing competition, have failed.

They only quit mobile phones when their last ditch efforts from buying out Nokia's entire phone division failed.

So if somehow they acquire Activision-Blizzard, fuck it up completely and run CoD into the ground while making no advances on Sony and Nintendo, then they will leave.

It is unlikely that Microsoft (MS) would completely leave the gaming industry as it has become an important part of their business strategy. The gaming division of Microsoft, known as Xbox, generates significant revenue and has a loyal customer base. In addition, Microsoft has been investing heavily in gaming technology, such as cloud gaming and artificial intelligence, which indicates a long-term commitment to the industry.

That being said, companies can change their priorities over time, and it is possible that Microsoft could reduce its investment in gaming or shift its focus to other areas. However, given the current state of the gaming industry and Microsoft's position within it, it seems unlikely that they would completely exit the market.

it seems there is always a chance for dreams/nightmares to become a reality.

personally speaking...they dont deserve to be around after the second half of the 360 era and the entire Bone generation....they fuck up so much that the consequences arr still kicking their ass.

BUT clearly, they have exercised some pressure on sony...that is the only good thing they have manage to do.

Brigandier

They've invested too much to walk away now but it's possible they go streaming app/box only soon and push Gamepass even harder.

Their approach is changing, it's all about GP and streaming for MS where as Sony is clearly hardware and disc based games.

Corndog

Banned
They've invested too much to walk away now but it's possible they go streaming app/box only soon and push Gamepass even harder.

Their approach is changing, it's all about GP and streaming for MS where as Sony is clearly hardware and disc based games.
I guess you forgot about ps5 digital.

Topher

Gold Member
No Way GIF

WTF with these threads?

Brigandier

I guess you forgot about ps5 digital.

I didn't sorry just poorly worded, hardware based as in the digital model and then the disc model, The digital is still a full spec device not a stream box.

Let's not forget about VR2 another piece of hardware.

MS will soon be stream only devices/plans where as Sony will still put out hardware and also still push discs.

That's how I see it anyway I could be totally wrong but 🤷‍♂️

Mokus

They are ready to blow $70 billions, so definitely not in the coming years. Unless they would face some massive losses in the future and the shareholders would force them to do so.

feynoob

MS will stop making consoles.
Focus on Gamepass on PC
Expand Gamepass to Playstation.

Mark this thread.
MS will transition to cloud gaming.
And if they leave consoles, they won't put their games on PS, while killing Xbox. They will lose that 30% cut from 3rd party sales.

SeraphJan

Hope they don't, because they are there to keep Sony competitive. The last thing you want, is Sony to dominate console space just like how Nintendo dominate handheld space, its bad for the consumer.

Not only I hope MS to stay, I also hope valve's Steam Deck to succeed.

Last edited:
No but they will soon abandon the Xbox consoles. They're going 3rd party.
This has been the prediction for the 20 years MS has been in console gaming. I wonder where people are getting this idea from? It makes no sense for MS to drop consoles since it is the main vector for Game pass and MS has initiatives like ID@Xbox and 3rd party license deals they would lose. MS has been in consoles longer than Sega and they won't be going anywhere especially with the massive investments they've been making recently.

personally speaking...they dont deserve to be around after the second half of the 360 era and the entire Bone generation....they fuck up so much that the consequences arr still kicking their ass.

Actually, the XBox One has been MS most profitable console they've made billions off it and continue to make billions and when you're spending $70 Billion on Activision MS aren't leaving gaming at all.

MS and Xbox are here to stay

RCU005

Focus on Gamepass on PC

Mark this thread.

I totally believe this as well. Sooner or later they will become third-party. In fact, I believe all their bet on GamePass is because they know their consoles don’t sell as well as they want, so they want/need to become the first Netflix of games (and control the content, hence the purchase of Activision and Bethesda).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
MS will transition to cloud gaming.
And if they leave consoles, they won't put their games on PS, while killing Xbox. They will lose that 30% cut from 3rd party sales.
Hard to believe when they have been releasing games on steam while they have their own store.

Spyxos

Whenever I've bought a Ms console, I've always wondered if they were that serious. Especially after the Xbox 360 RROD/ Xbox One. They've been into gaming for a long time but a lot of it just seemed so half-hearted. Only now with Bethesda purchase and now probably Acti/Blizz Ms looks safe to me and they know exactly where they want to go. They wouldn't spend so much money if they weren't serious about it.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Series X is better console in technical aspects than PS5 and so I don't see why console making is targeted here. And before somebody takes my statement to inflame things I am being literal. At this point PS5 has better end experience than pretty much any other console and even most PCs. But in technical terms Xbox is a better console and they are not at same price point even to be truly fair. Series X is probably the best made console. It's is small, less noisy, more powerful than any console ever and just all around a star....too bad many Devs are simply not optimizing games for Xbox or pc anymore. If they can fit series x power on series s size...that will be the most ultimate console.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Focus on Gamepass on PC

Mark this thread.
Also once out of the console space, double down on selling their 'competitors' (partners) their cloud related gaming services (Playfab, xcloud etc.) using their own products as a showcase for them, become the Unreal Engine of cloud services. Maybe also ensure Windows owns the PC space with an optimised version for gaming (handhelds, console-like devices) obviously make Gamepass experience optimised on this windows variant.

Zathalus

Series consoles are the best selling Xbox ever. Revenue is at a all time high. Xbox Game Studios is the largest it has ever been. Xcloud is likely the largest cloud streaming provider. Game pass is the largest subscription service. They have invested over $80 billion into aquisitions.

Yeah, sounds like they are about to bow out any minute now.

Roxkis_ii

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the Xbox console and just go software and maybe keep making controllers.

Comandr

With the advent of game pass and virtually all of their exclusive games coming to PC as well, there has been less reason than ever to actually own an Xbox console.

I don’t think I’ve cared about Xbox games since they had actual compelling exclusives. The likes of blue dragon, lost odyssey, and even rare’s early offerings.

Sony seems to have a finger on the pulse of what people want out of a console. The ps5 is hilariously successful.

Nintendo is in a corner eating paste and doing their own thing, potentially releasing a console maybe as powerful as the decade old ps4 in the year 2023-2024. And it will do great because Nintendo stans only care about gameplay. Even if that gameplay is being held back by the hardware.

Microsoft does seem really interested in bringing their own brand of gaming entertainment to the masses. When I think Microsoft, I think halo, gears of war, calla duty. There is certainly a brand image, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But as I mentioned before, with most, if not all, of these coming to PC as well, Xbox has no “exclusives.” You can’t be exclusive if you release on multiple platforms. Period.

Since I don’t see them dropping PC support any time soon, I can see them shedding the dead weight that is the Xbox console. Keep Xbox game studios as their brand but go the sega route and just start selling on other platforms. Microsoft hasn’t been the console market leader in a long time, and in some countries like Japan- never.

TL;DR: Xbox consoles are dead weight and haven’t been the market leader for over a decade. That trend doesn’t look like it’s going to change in the foreseeable future. So if you can’t beat ‘em, join em.

Top Bottom