• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would MS ever leave gaming?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I could see them not making anymore consoles.

But they will still be in gaming as they have been for decades before the Xbox division.
Microsoft Flight Simulator started in like 1980 or something.

They will still make controllers, they will still have Gamepass, they will still have gaming studios, they will still own King and make mobile games, they will still be raking in billions.....while not selling consoles.
I think thats their whole plan right now, getting Gamepass onto as many devices as possible, running the mobile space, running the cloud gaming space as such not needing to actually have a console.

Black_Stride

With the advent of game pass and virtually all of their exclusive games coming to PC as well, there has been less reason than ever to actually own an Xbox console.

I don’t think I’ve cared about Xbox games since they had actual compelling exclusives. The likes of blue dragon, lost odyssey, and even rare’s early offerings.

Sony seems to have a finger on the pulse of what people want out of a console. The ps5 is hilariously successful.

Nintendo is in a corner eating paste and doing their own thing, potentially releasing a console maybe as powerful as the decade old ps4 in the year 2023-2024. And it will do great because Nintendo stans only care about gameplay. Even if that gameplay is being held back by the hardware.

Microsoft does seem really interested in bringing their own brand of gaming entertainment to the masses. When I think Microsoft, I think halo, gears of war, calla duty. There is certainly a brand image, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But as I mentioned before, with most, if not all, of these coming to PC as well, Xbox has no “exclusives.” You can’t be exclusive if you release on multiple platforms. Period.

Since I don’t see them dropping PC support any time soon, I can see them shedding the dead weight that is the Xbox console. Keep Xbox game studios as their brand but go the sega route and just start selling on other platforms. Microsoft hasn’t been the console market leader in a long time, and in some countries like Japan- never.

TL;DR: Xbox consoles are dead weight and haven’t been the market leader for over a decade. That trend doesn’t look like it’s going to change in the foreseeable future. So if you can’t beat ‘em, join em.
What the fuck are you talking about.

OP posits the question "would MS ever leave gaming" you go on a tangent about compelling exclusives?
Dismiss Nintendos absolute dominance while sucking Sonys dick.

Kvally

Banned
With the advent of game pass and virtually all of their exclusive games coming to PC as well, there has been less reason than ever to actually own an Xbox console.

I don’t think I’ve cared about Xbox games since they had actual compelling exclusives. The likes of blue dragon, lost odyssey, and even rare’s early offerings.

Sony seems to have a finger on the pulse of what people want out of a console. The ps5 is hilariously successful.

Nintendo is in a corner eating paste and doing their own thing, potentially releasing a console maybe as powerful as the decade old ps4 in the year 2023-2024. And it will do great because Nintendo stans only care about gameplay. Even if that gameplay is being held back by the hardware.

Microsoft does seem really interested in bringing their own brand of gaming entertainment to the masses. When I think Microsoft, I think halo, gears of war, calla duty. There is certainly a brand image, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But as I mentioned before, with most, if not all, of these coming to PC as well, Xbox has no “exclusives.” You can’t be exclusive if you release on multiple platforms. Period.

Since I don’t see them dropping PC support any time soon, I can see them shedding the dead weight that is the Xbox console. Keep Xbox game studios as their brand but go the sega route and just start selling on other platforms. Microsoft hasn’t been the console market leader in a long time, and in some countries like Japan- never.

TL;DR: Xbox consoles are dead weight and haven’t been the market leader for over a decade. That trend doesn’t look like it’s going to change in the foreseeable future. So if you can’t beat ‘em, join em.
Sadly you missed an important part of the equation Hundreds of millions of gamers prefer gaming on consoles and want nothing to do with PC gaming.

Puscifer

MS will stop making consoles.
Focus on Gamepass on PC
Expand Gamepass to Playstation.

Mark this thread.
Honestly I hope this is true, Microsoft was better as a publisher. Even the Xbox's best games were consolized versions of PC games like Crimson Skies

Zephyrus0

Banned
Hopefully sooner than later.

But unfortunately people seem to cheer a company that keeps making gaming worse every gen.
They keep buying consoles from a company that doesn’t invest in talent and creativity, instead choosing to take it from elsewhere.

With all my heartfelt sincerity, fuck MS. They've been a malignant cancer for this industry since day 1.

Comandr

Sadly you missed an important part of the equation Hundreds of millions of gamers prefer gaming on consoles and want nothing to do with PC gaming.
No, I addressed this by saying Microsoft could and should continue to release their games on other platforms. This obviously would include Sony and Nintendo. Idk how anyone could have imagined I meant they should only sell games on pc.

What the fuck are you talking about.

OP posits the question "would MS ever leave gaming" you go on a tangent about compelling exclusives?
Dismiss Nintendos absolute dominance while sucking Sonys dick.
Yeah, I think it’s an important discussion on whether or not the Xbox console is a worthwhile investment. Can you play games on it that you cannot play anywhere else? Like wtf? You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to understand this concept. And then you fucking agreed in your own post saying you think they could stop making consoles and go third party?!

Furthermore, I didn’t dismiss Nintendo’s “dominance,” I said they will continue to do well! Get your head out of your ass lol

mxbison

Of course they would if it isn't profitable.

Very, very unlikely though. They've invested a lot and the industry will continue to grow. Every new generation grows up with video games now while the old generations with no connection to gaming are slowly dying out.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
You wish

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Last edited:

But unfortunately people seem to cheer a company that keeps making gaming worse every gen.
They keep buying consoles from a company that doesn’t invest in talent and creativity, instead choosing to take it from elsewhere.

With all my heartfelt sincerity, fuck MS. They've been a malignant cancer for this industry since day 1.

This post gonna make me buy a second series x.

Belthazar

I think they can abandon making dedicated consoles, but leaving gaming is not an option after so much investment. And honestly, leaving Xbox consoles behind and fully investing in gamepass and game publishing might be a good choice for the brand

Corndog

Banned
I didn't sorry just poorly worded, hardware based as in the digital model and then the disc model, The digital is still a full spec device not a stream box.

Let's not forget about VR2 another piece of hardware.

MS will soon be stream only devices/plans where as Sony will still put out hardware and also still push discs.

That's how I see it anyway I could be totally wrong but 🤷‍♂️
Series s isn’t a streaming box either. Your post is pure speculation. Xbox has said multiple times streaming is an option, not the only option.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft isn’t going anywhere. After they take ActiBlizzard off PlayStation’s table, the concern will be how Sony long can manage?

Corndog

Banned

You are a total moron if you think less competition would be better. It would lead to higher hardware and software prices, less variety of games, and less actual innovation.

Black_Stride

Yeah, I think it’s an important discussion on whether or not the Xbox console is a worthwhile investment. Can you play games on it that you cannot play anywhere else? Like wtf? You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to understand this concept. And then you fucking agreed in your own post saying you think they could stop making consoles and go third party?!

Furthermore, I didn’t dismiss Nintendo’s “dominance,” I said they will continue to do well! Get your head out of your ass lol
So TLDR.
No you dont think they would leave gaming.

Chukhopops

Gaming is slightly less than 10% of MS total revenue, they’re not going to give up on that.

Even if they lost money on it it would be too great of a risk to abandon this segment when their competitors are trying to improve their presence there.

anothertech

Someone will make a platform agnostic PC based console . It will run gamepass, ps+ and emulate everything else from the past. Nintendo, apple and Android will be compatible.

You'll also be able to order stuff on Amazon.

Would Sony? Would Nintendo?

They could and if we're talking about "ever" then maybe at some point yes but probably not any time soon and by that I mean in the next 15-20 years.

MS is spending $60 billion to improve their gaming library/studios and to me that doesn't suggest they want out. They are here for the long term.

Aaron Olive

Focus on Gamepass on PC

Mark this thread.
I can see Microsoft just being a huge publisher in the future like Koch, Tencent, and Embracer group. Microsoft could make more profits this way if a new challenger enters the ring.....Amazon, Apple and their games would go to those platforms through royalties and publishing deals.

I can see Microsoft just being a huge publisher in the future like Koch, Tencent, and Embracer group. Microsoft could make more profits this way if a new challenger enters the ring.....Amazon, Apple and their games would go to those platforms through royalties and publishing deals.
Likely that is their endgame. Look at what they are doing with Xbox, Gamepass, and the Acti/Blizz acquisition. It's not about selling Xbox consoles or about getting CoD (and other games) and making it exclusive to Xbox to sell more consoles. They might do that in 10-15 years and sure they'd love to sell 100+ million consoles but they are looking at the bigger picture. They want to make it as difficult as possible for gamers to NOT give them money. Even if you buy a PS5/PS6 and if you buy games like Diablo 5, Overwatch 3, CoD Modern Warfare 254 then MS gets money. If you build a PC then you need a Windows license and on Windows they have their own store for buying games and you can sub to game pass. If you only own a smartphone or don't want to buy a console/PC then you can sub to gamepass and stream the games to your phone/TV.

drganon

Doubtful they'll ever completely abandon gaming considering all the money they've spent so far. Could see them ditching the hardware business and just focus on publishing/streaming.

Black_Stride

Doubtful they'll ever completely abandon gaming considering all the money they've spent so far. Could see them ditching the hardware business and just focus on publishing/streaming.
Considering how long they have been in the gaming hardware business I very much doubt even that.
41GW7S58VKL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

^SixAxis before SixAxis.

But if you mean abandon home consoles.....yeah I could see that happening, highly unlikely though if you ask me, they dont need that many Xboxes to be out there to still make a decent profit and having third parties publish on their machine is still super profitable for them.
They can use that hardware to be in the server blades for Xcloud version whatever too.

AJUMP23

When Nadella took over he almost canceled the whole division. If they decide it is not part of their future then sure they will close it down and sell it off.

Zephyrus0

Banned
First and last warning for console
You are a total moron if you think less competition would be better. It would lead to higher hardware and software prices, less variety of games, and less actual innovation.
That so?
Personally I think everyone who supports microsoft by buying their system and into their practices is an absolute retard and should be prohibited from reproducing lest they dirty up the genepool even more but I wanted to be polite.

Especially when these people seem to have a goldfish memory and forget we did just fine after sega bowed out. We also didn't have less variety of games. As I recall the ps2 had no shortage of games and variety. Quite on the contrary.

But sure, microsoft is needed. As much as a tumor. Where else could we have groundbreaking innovation like paywalls to play online, the incentive for developers to release incomplete games so they could charge more with dlc or my personal favorite, releasing broken games and hope a patch will fix it.
Currently they're telling their legion of scholars that a business model that drains them money and brings less revenue than actual game sales, will provide games for free* on day 1 with the same quality and funding as what they used to have.
20 years in the console business and all they have to show are dead IP's with no relevance anymore.
I'm thrilled that their competitive ways have now resulted in me losing ninja theory, double fine, bethesda and soon ABK games.

Mr.ODST

This is the worst shit take I've seen in ages.

Xbox One era was dreadful for MS but they standardised alot of online aspects with the Xbox and 360 and even setting standards with Gamepass and more.

Playstation has been dreadful to its player base in alot of aspects, while they make incredible games no company is free from shitty practices, same goes with Nintendo.

Competition is key for innovation and the companies push each other, if it wasnt for MS's current strategy we would be stuck with Sony and Nintendo doing completely shitty things like we have already seen.

Last edited:
They are ready to blow $70 billions, so definitely not in the coming years. Unless they would face some massive losses in the future and the shareholders would force them to do so.
The plan is all-in right now, promising 10 year deals for CoD also screams that they don't care for the current situation. It's obviously the investment phase which would most probably have been much much cheaper if done right after first success with the 360 and expanding already then. But I guess those next 10 years (probably less), and if all the invested money leads to something, will be the decisive point if the massive investment might continue or they dial down again. (it's not like Google, Meta or Amazon did not also spent quite a bit, partially on nonsense, and reevaluated that)
Imho it should not be possible to fail with their amount of semi-independent studios (and quite talented HW team) but their track record of studio management is barely better than EAs, buying the almost only CoD-factory is also meh, but that's AB itself for the past decade, and struggling as soon as they actually bought their cornerstone IPs is also not really great. It would be insane if they can somehow manage to drive all those studios to less output than before, but who knows... just spending money on problems does not solve everything and as long as money speaks that source might dry up fast if it loses trust.

Zephyrus0

Banned
This is the worst shit take I've seen in ages.

Xbox One era was dreadful for MS but they standardised alot of online aspects with the Xbox and 360 and even setting standards with Gamepass and more.

Playstation has been dreadful to its player base in alot of aspects, while they make incredible games no company is free from shitty practices, same goes with Nintendo.

Competition is key for innovation and the companies push each other, if it wasnt for MS's current strategy we would be stuck with Sony and Nintendo doing completely shitty things like we have already seen.
Yeah they standardised paywalls for online play. Thanks Microsoft. Hip hip hurray for innovative ways to nickle and dime me

Bigfroth

If leaving gaming means no longer making dedicated plastic boxes then yes, I believe it will happen in the near future. Gamepass everywhere and on everything baby!

Kvally

Banned
That so?
Personally I think everyone who supports microsoft by buying their system and into their practices is an absolute retard and should be prohibited from reproducing lest they dirty up the genepool even more but I wanted to be polite.

Especially when these people seem to have a goldfish memory and forget we did just fine after sega bowed out. We also didn't have less variety of games. As I recall the ps2 had no shortage of games and variety. Quite on the contrary.

But sure, microsoft is needed. As much as a tumor. Where else could we have groundbreaking innovation like paywalls to play online, the incentive for developers to release incomplete games so they could charge more with dlc or my personal favorite, releasing broken games and hope a patch will fix it.
Currently they're telling their legion of scholars that a business model that drains them money and brings less revenue than actual game sales, will provide games for free* on day 1 with the same quality and funding as what they used to have.
20 years in the console business and all they have to show are dead IP's with no relevance anymore.
I'm thrilled that their competitive ways have now resulted in me losing ninja theory, double fine, bethesda and soon ABK games.
Stop It No Way GIF by Naughty Dog

BlackTron

I liked the linked article with comments referencing the Xbox One reveal like "our messaging was horrible" lol. I don't blame them for questioning going forward after the whole debacle and being left so bloodied by Playstation. The PS execs even trolled them with that "how to share a game" video!!

I don't think Game Pass will ever be on PS. Not sure why Sony would want you to buy their hardware just to use it for playing GP -they would actually rather you spend your own money on a PC or get MS to pay with an Xbox. Sony systems are for making Sony money. Imagine it happened and a third party game comes out on Playstation and Gamepass, PS loses the chance for a sale why? Because you threw MS a few dollars. I don't think there is a contract convoluted enough to make GP on PS feasible for Sony. Right now, MS is on the backfoot and they needed GP as that one foot. Sony is killing it and didn't need to dissipate all their profits with GP charity.

Same reason it's hard to see GP on Switch. You'd think xcloud might help open up more games or graphics, and maybe it could, but full on GP with the big library of games, to both Nintendo and Sony the mere notion of offering this up is HILARIOUS and anathema to everything they stand for. The only reason they sell hardware is to sell games on it, not make it easy to play 1000 Xbox games.

Robb

Gold Member
Depends on what leaving means I guess. I can see them stepping away from home consoles and offering GamePass as an app through your TV etc. in the future.

onQ123

Series X is better console in technical aspects than PS5 and so I don't see why console making is targeted here. And before somebody takes my statement to inflame things I am being literal. At this point PS5 has better end experience than pretty much any other console and even most PCs. But in technical terms Xbox is a better console and they are not at same price point even to be truly fair. Series X is probably the best made console. It's is small, less noisy, more powerful than any console ever and just all around a star....too bad many Devs are simply not optimizing games for Xbox or pc anymore. If they can fit series x power on series s size...that will be the most ultimate console.
Would you like to prove that?

Kvally

Banned
nah. I'll say it as many times as it's needed.
I hold no love for ms and those who kept them relevant in my increasingly worse hobby.
Would love to see how long this account lasts you.

They just bought Bethesda and getting Activision Blizzard.

There's no leaving this train.
^This. They are in it for the long haul, and nobody would be able to afford to buy Xbox.

Focus on Gamepass on PC

Mark this thread.

I could see this happening, but what scares me about this scenario is that without direct competition I can see the need to innovate like they do now diminish, just imagine if the PS3 didn't have the X360 to compete with, we would have some crazy ass architecture using Cell still. While I am a PlayStation owner and have been since PS1, I don't want to see Microsoft leave the hardware business, it is good that they push each other like they do because in the end we (the gamers) win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom