• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would My PC Bottleneck an RTX 3090?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Since DDR5 will be released next year, I intend to build a new computer then in order to include the new volatile memory standard and a compatible CPU and motherboard in it. So, even if my current build would bottleneck the RTX 3090, it wouldn't be an issue indefinitely; I'd just swap the RTX 3090 into that new build.

Despite this, I'm wondering whether or not my current PC would bottleneck the card because I intend to buy Cyberpunk 2077 for PC this year and want to play it at 4K with ray tracing and all other settings set to their maximum values without experiencing less than 60 frames per second.

My computer's specifications are as follows:

1. i7-5820k (boosts to 4GHz by default)
2. Asus X99 Deluxe
3. 8 x 4GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
4. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
5. Samsung EVO 500GB SATA SSD
6. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
7. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD
8. Corsair 850M 850 watt modular PSU
9. NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower (the hard-drive trays can be removed to accommodate cards that are up to 428mm long)

Picture:

GNOnN0S.png

------------------------------------

EDIT #1:

Here's a more recent picture, which includes the 1080Ti.

XGcVTP3.jpg

Yes, I know that the inside of my case is dusty; I'll get a compressed-air blower o clean it out soon (Link).

------------------------------------

EDIT #2:

I bought a new case: the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG, and I've already transferred my system into it.

My other case, the NZXT H440, can accommodate the RTX 3090 via its removable hard-drive trays, two of which I subsequently removed in preparation for the card; however, it was still cluttered due to the remaining three hard-drive trays being occupied and being located at the front of the case. Also, it's old and worn; it's got a few scratches and areas of chipped paint, and it's quite dusty.

Anyhow, the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL has a novel design that places the hard-drive trays (and the PSU) behind the rear panel, where they cannot be seen. This maximizes space in the central compartment of the case, allowing more room for the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and graphics card to breathe.

I've only got one fan in the new case at the moment, which is the CPU fan that's attached to the CPU's heatsink. However, I am expecting six more to be delivered tomorrow (Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Blue Led 120mm Square Frame Fan).

Picture:

w1A0Usq.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm you wrote that you have 1080Ti and picture shows 980TI 🤔

However one other thing is how do you came across socket 2011?

I am not sure if there is going to be some path to update. I would just went with Ryzen 3800XT and B550, buy another 2x4GB ramstick kit and call it a day. It's pretty cheap upgrade with some future ahead of that.

It's as if you didn't read the entirety of the OP. Wow.
I did. The entire question just seems weird to me. You want to wait for new RAM before you upgrade the rest, so buying earlier isn't an option. At the same time, you want the 3090 in time for Cyberpunk, so waiting and buying it along with the rest of the hardware (when it would presumably be cheaper) also isn't an option. So why even worry about whether or not it will bottleneck? Not like there's anything you can do about it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Is the difference between the 3080 and the 3090 worth paying more than double the price?
30tf for 700$ vs 36tf for 1500$, those seem to be the most expensive 6tf in history for 4k gaming.
Firsly I am sure that there was a 6TF GPU for 800USD before and second 3090 have massive advantage with memory, so for futureproofing it's a great card. Also it's really cheap, when you take into account that is basically a "Titan" model. I have that card pre-ordered and cannot wait.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hmm you wrote that you have 1080Ti and picture shows 980TI 🤔

However one other thing is how do you came across socket 2011?

I am not sure if there is going to be some path to update. I would just went with Ryzen 3800XT and B550, buy another 2x4GB ramstick kit and call it a day. It's pretty cheap upgrade with some future ahead of that.

Sorry, here's a more recent picture.
XGcVTP3.jpg

Yes, I know that the inside of my case is dusty; I'll get a compressed-air blower o clean it out soon (Link).

M1chl

Sorry, here's a more recent picture.
XGcVTP3.jpg

No it's fine, I am just asking because that picture did not match. And yes I would upgrade and I kind of spot that your ram is pretty slow, not sure how much higher it can get...

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Firsly I am sure that there was a 6TF GPU for 800USD before and second 3090 have massive advantage with memory, so for futureproofing it's a great card. Also it's really cheap, when you take into account that is basically a "Titan" model. I have that card pre-ordered and cannot wait.
How did you pre-order that card?!

Kokoloko85

You need another million $£$£ to go with that £500 graphic card otherwise you wont get the full potential.... lol

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I wouldn't put the card in that system it's a complete waste of time imo. Also don't see the point in waiting just for ddr5 if you want a card now. Why not wait for next year's cards if you're waiting for ddr5.

If you want want to play cyberpunk at its best then build a new system

M1chl

How exactly does RAM bottleneck a GPU?
You have to think in a sense, that we don't know how RTX I/O is going to work and how well, so far it's work of RAM and CPU to decrompress assets to the GPU. And if you look at Flight Sim, fast RAM is crucial for good performance.

How did you pre-order that card?!
Czech retailer have it up, it's already listed, so I pre-ordered it. BTC is pretty high now, so I use that (here you can buy pretty much anything with crypto)... Price for reference omdel is set already, by nVidia, so that's how much they take away from me, 41k CZK which is 1832USD...

Ar¢tos

I can see the memory increase being useful in a jump from 4k to 8k, but staying at 4k most of that memory difference won't have much impact. The money saved with the 3080 could be used at a later date when he decides to move to 8k gaming.

M1chl

I can see the memory increase being useful in a jump from 4k to 8k, but staying at 4k most of that memory difference won't have much impact. The money saved with the 3080 could be used at a later date when he decides to move to 8k gaming.
Possibly yeah, however for me usefulness of this card is big VRAM and with Machine Learning (which I am doing myself) is this a godsend, because I had RTX Titan for that, because something more complex is not possible on RTX2080Ti for example and this is a great way for me to have much stronger card for a half the price I payed for RTX Titan. Which is already sold, for a lot of money, so someone uniformaed bought it from me, so I have money for almost 2 3090 now. I was very lucky tho.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's already been demonstrated via Marvel's Avengers that 10GB of VRAM is a bottleneck for future games.

DSO Gaming said:
Speaking of 4K, we did notice some VRAM limitations when using the game’s HD Texture Pack. On Ultra Settings/Ultra Textures, our performance went downhill in the following scene. As you can see, our RTX2080Ti was used to its fullest and pushed 17fps.

However, when we used Ultra Settings/High Textures, our performance skyrocketed to 42fps. This appears to be a VRAM limitation. As we can see, the game’s Ultra textures used 10.5GB of VRAM, whereas High textures used 8GB of VRAM. Thus, it will be interesting to see whether the NVIDIA RTX3080 will be able to handle this game in 4K with its 10GB VRAM.

Armorian

Banned
After reading the OP again in full this time ( :messenger_grinning_squinting: ), I think you will be fine for resolution you're targeting, and CP2077 is game still designed to run ~25-30FPS on Jaguars so it should be 60 on much more powerful Intel cores. Get that Ampere, but I think Zen 4 and 12 series from Intel won't happen next year., so DDR5 support is out of the window.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
After reading the OP again in full this time ( :messenger_grinning_squinting: ), I think you will be fine for resolution you're targeting, and CP2077 is game still designed to run ~25-30FPS on Jaguars so it should be 60 on much more powerful Intel cores. Get that Ampere, but I think Zen 4 and 12 series from Intel won't happen next year., so DDR5 support is out of the window.

What makes you so sure that Zen 4 and 12 Series won't arrive until 2022? Also, what's so funny?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
What makes you so sure that Zen 4 and 12 Series won't arrive until 2022? Also, what's so funny?

I laughed that I didn't read your post in full the first time. Intel will struggle to launch 11 series next year so I think lower node new arch is not possible for them in 2021, AMD will also jump to lower node with Z4 I think and they will release all Z3 cpus in Q1 2021 (first ones in Q4 this year).

You should OC that CPU if you can, look how far it will go

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I laughed that I didn't read your post in full the first time. Intel will struggle to launch 11 series next year so I think lower node new arch is not possible for them in 2021, AMD will also jump to lower node with Z4 I think and they will release all Z3 cpus in Q1 2021 (first ones in Q4 this year).

You should OC that CPU if you can, look how for it will go

Speaking hypothetically, would an i7-5960x or i7-6950x bottleneck an RTX 3090? They're compatible with my motherboard.

Armorian

Banned
Speaking hypothetically, would an i7-5960x or i7-6950x bottleneck an RTX 3090? They're compatible with my motherboard.

Haswell and Broadwell have similiar IPC so you won't gain much (few % maybe), the best thing you can do with this CPU is OC. Only logical jump is to Zen 2 right now (but wait for Z3 of course and maybe 11 gen from Intel).

Last edited:
Is the difference between the 3080 and the 3090 worth paying more than double the price?
30tf for 700$ vs 36tf for 1500$, those seem to be the most expensive 6tf in history for 4k gaming.
These "big" cards are not made to be cost efficient or useful for gaming. They are there to establish who's the big dog and to give your enthusiast builders something to play with.

It's like wondering weather a 1 million dollar bugatti is really 900k better than a 100k Porsche. It's not, but that's not what it's about. :)

However the 3090 could be a good workhorse for some specific use cases.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Haswell and Broadwell have similiar IPC so you won't gain much (few % maybe), the best thing you can do with this CPU is OC. Only logical jump is to Zen 2 right now (but wait for Z3 of course and maybe 11 gen from Intel).
Yes, but the 5960x has 8 cores and the 6950x has 10 cores. Those 2 to 4 extra cores won't make any difference?

Armorian

Banned
Yes, but the 5960x has 8 cores and the 6950x has 10 cores. Those 2 to 4 extra cores won't make any difference?

Maybe in next few years but poor IPC will kill this CPUs before that. Right now 4 core 8 thread CPUs are still good for majority of games, but they need to be from Intel 6xxx and AMD 3xxx. 6/12 will be great for cross gen times (I think till 2023 maybe) and 8/16+ after that. It also depend on how many threads are available to developers on consoles.

If you could get 4,6 GHz or so, then it might do 60 in CP77 or it might still be not enough, but it is 6 core 12 thread cpu after all. [im talking constant min 60fps]

Just rip off IHS, apply this and put on this best in business cooler , so it will run quite with low temps. You can keep that cooler for new build.

And as mentioned DDR5, PCIe gen 5 might be ready, but it might only come in 2022.

edit should have read the thread before making another pointless post.

Last edited:
They won't for virtually all games, and especially not at 4K.

You need to just chill, get your 3090 and the game, then see how things work out before doing anything else. If you feel like you absolutely have to spend more money right now, consider getting a new power supply. This is not the kind of card you should be running on a nearly 5 year-old 80+ Bronze rated PSU, even if it's 850 Watts.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
They won't for virtually all games, and especially not at 4K.

You need to just chill, get your 3090 and the game, then see how things work out before doing anything else. If you feel like you absolutely have to spend more money right now, consider getting a new power supply. This is not the kind of card you should be running on a nearly 5 year-old 80+ Bronze rated PSU, even if it's 850 Watts.

LOL, so now my PSU is a problem too? C'mon, now. Also, it's Gold Certified (not Bronze, Link), and it's 100 watts more than what Nvidia recommends for the 3090 (Link). Also, it was released in 2017, which was three years ago. Damn, you got everything wrong.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The games on your PC will nevertheless end up running much MUCH faster. So in that sense it will not be bottlenecked. You will however be able to extract more performance with a faster CPU, especially if end goal is very high framerates.

Your PSU will most likely not be a problem UNLESS it's sort of "worn out" and somehow can't cope with fast variable high load demands.. But I haven't seen this be effectively demonstrated in practice, so for now it's just a theory being mentioned.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The games on your PC will nevertheless end up running much MUCH faster. So in that sense it will not be bottlenecked. You will however be able to extract more performance with a faster CPU, especially if end goal is very high framerates.

Your PSU will most likely not be a problem UNLESS it's sort of "worn out" and somehow can't cope with fast variable high load demands.. But I haven't seen this be effectively demonstrated in practice, so for now it's just a theory being mentioned.

I doubt that it's worn out. Admittedly, I haven't really done much gaming on it; I've gamed mostly on my PlayStation 4 Pro. However, I intend to change that in the future.

LOL, so now my PSU is a problem too? C'mon, now.
I wouldn't really call it a problem. That's why I said you should consider it if you feel like you absolutely have to spend more money right now. Ask people on any hardware board, and they probably won't tell you it's going to blow up on you, but they'll almost certainly tell you that a more recent model would be a better choice. It'd be a more sensible investment than a provisional CPU upgrade, in any case.

It is worth considering, at the very least. If you're really intending to wait until 2022 before you buy everything else, you might as well buy that particular piece of hardware right now. Neither the prices nor the technology are likely to change in the next year or two, and running that 3090 on a newer, better PSU should give you some peace of mind at the very least, so there really aren't any drawbacks to an early purchase.

Also, it's Gold Certified, not Bronze
Well, you didn't specify the exact model. The CX 850M is probably the most popular model with a similar name, and that one is Bronze rated.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I wouldn't really call it a problem. That's why I said you should consider it if you feel like you absolutely have to spend more money right now. Ask people on any hardware board, and they probably won't tell you it's going to blow up on you, but they'll almost certainly tell you that a more recent model would be a better choice. It'd be a more sensible investment than a provisional CPU upgrade, in any case.

It is worth considering, at the very least. If you're really intending to wait until 2022 before you buy everything else, you might as well buy that particular piece of hardware right now. Neither the prices nor the technology are likely to change in the next year or two, and running that 3090 on a newer, better PSU should give you some peace of mind at the very least, so there really aren't any drawbacks to an early purchase.

Well, you didn't specify the exact model. The CX 850M is probably the most popular model with a similar name, and that one is Bronze rated.

You're not getting the point. My PSU will absolutely not be a problem; it's younger than you thought it was, is rated higher than you thought it was, and is 100 watts more powerful than what Nvidia recommends for the RTX 3090. Furthermore, it has experienced little to no "wear and tear" due to me not gaming on my PC much this generation, since I've gamed mostly on my PS4 Pro. So, just drop it already. You were proven wrong, but still want to persist.

You're not getting the point. My PSU will absolutely not be a problem; it's younger than you thought it was, is rated higher than you thought it was, and is 100 watts more powerful than what Nvidia recommends for the RTX 3090. Furthermore, it has experienced little to no "wear and tear" due to me not gaming on my PC much this generation, since I've gamed mostly on my PS4 Pro. So, just drop it already. You were proven wrong, but still want to persist.
I wasn't "proven wrong" about anything. Everything I posted would be considered good general advice, and there was no way for me to know your PSU was significantly newer than most of your other components, or that it hasn't seen much use despite sitting in a system with an overclocked 5th Gen i7 and a 1080 Ti.

If my advice doesn't apply to your situation, then just disregard it. No need to get aggressive.

Since DDR5 will be released next year, I intend to build a new computer then in order to include the new volatile memory standard and a compatible CPU and motherboard in it. So, even if my current build would bottleneck the RTX 3090, it wouldn't be an issue indefinitely; I'd just swap the RTX 3090 into that new build.

Despite this, I'm wondering whether or not my current PC would bottleneck the card because I intend to buy Cyberpunk 2077 for PC this year and want to play it at 4K with ray tracing and all other settings set to their maximum values without experiencing less than 60 frames per second.

My computer's specifications are as follows:

1. i7-5820k (boosts to 4GHz by default)
2. Asus X99 Deluxe
3. 8 x 4GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
4. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
5. Samsung EVO 500GB SATA SSD
6. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
7. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD
8. Corsair 850M 850 watt modular PSU
9. NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower (the hard-drive trays can be removed to accommodate cards that are up to 428mm long)

Picture:

GNOnN0S.png

EDIT:

Here's a more recent picture, which includes the 1080Ti.

XGcVTP3.jpg

Buy a good SSD😉

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you buy that GPU you are going to likely be bottlenecked to the point that you will be getting 3080 performance anyway. Save the $800 and get a new motherboard and GPU. Waiting for DDR5 is pointless.

Yes, you need to change your CPU.

If you can afford a 3090, you can afford a CPU change.

Your CPU it's like having V8 (3090) in a lada body (your cpu).

smbu2000

Well your current RAM should be quad-channel which should make-up for some of the performance difference between the higher clocked dual-channel RAM in either a Ryzen of Intel build.

I’m not sure about the performance of the CPU though. Are you OC‘ing it?
I used to have the 8core, i7-5960X and it ran fairly well at 4.5GHz (all core).If I remember correctly my highly overclocked Cinebench R15 score was sort of close to a stock Ryzen 2700X.
I’d imagine the 6core 5820k would be more limited especially at defaultclocks.
Only have this old PCMark10 score from 2.5 years ago. Not really useful.
https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/270528

Is there a particular reason you specifically need DDR5? I’m happily running on my current 3900X/X570/DDR4 system since last year. I don’t think DDR5 will make much of a difference.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Well your current RAM should be quad-channel which should make-up for some of the performance difference between the higher clocked dual-channel RAM in either a Ryzen of Intel build.

I’m not sure about the performance of the CPU though. Are you OC‘ing it?
I used to have the 8core, i7-5960X and it ran fairly well at 4.5GHz (all core).If I remember correctly my highly overclocked Cinebench R15 score was sort of close to a stock Ryzen 2700X.
I’d imagine the 6core 5820k would be more limited especially at defaultclocks.
Only have this old PCMark10 score from 2.5 years ago. Not really useful.
https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/270528

Is there a particular reason you specifically need DDR5? I’m happily running on my current 3900X/X570/DDR4 system since last year. I don’t think DDR5 will make much of a difference.

DDR5's speed will be between 4800MHz and 6400MHz. So, it'll be much faster than DDR4 and is therefore worth waiting for since it'll be released relatively soon; I built my current computer back in 2016 (and upgraded to a 1080Ti in 2017), so it wouldn't make sense for me to not wait merely one more year for DDR5. I'll run the Cinebench R15 benchmark and post the results.

60fps is the key, your CPU will be able to push those 60 frames per second to the GPU, the game will also run on PS4/Xbox one so it won't require much from the CPU.

And if you are looking for an upgrade, but don't require one now, as you said: wait for CPUs that work with DDR5.

Replace those big HDDs with SSDs instead, just having them makes your system a bit noisier and waiting fpr them to spin up all the time slows you down whenever you open the explorer... It will also make the inside of your case cooler.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
60fps is the key, your CPU will be able to push those 60 frames per second to the GPU, the game will also run on PS4/Xbox one so it won't require much from the CPU.

And if you are looking for an upgrade, but don't require one now, as you said: wait for CPUs that work with DDR5.

Replace those big HDDs with SSDs instead, just having them makes your system a bit noisier and waiting fpr them to spin up all the time slows you down whenever you open the explorer... It will also make the inside of your case cooler.

Thanks for the advice.

Here are my Cinebench R15 results. Note that the program listed my operating system as Windows 8 even though it's actually Windows 10, but whatever.

Cinebench R15 said:
COMMENT=MAXON CINEBENCH is based on the high performance animation and rendering software MAXON CINEMA 4D.
COMMENT=These are your MAXON CINEBENCH R15 results.
COMMENT=
COMMENT=Results Disclaimer - CINEBENCH results are indicative of overall system performance when using CINEMA 4D,
COMMENT=and do not necessarily reflect the performance of the tested hardware with other applications.
COMMENT=Performance of each component (processor, graphics card) does rely somewhat on other components in the system.
COMMENT=Results provided are typical, although not derived from specific testing procedures.
COMMENT=
CORES=6
LOGICALCORES=2
MHZ=3300.000000
PROCESSOR=Intel Core i7-5820K CPU
OPENGLVENDOR=NVIDIA Corporation
OPENGLCARD=GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OPENGLVERSION=4.6.0 NVIDIA 441.20
DRIVERVERSION=441.20
CBTYPE=64 Bit
OSVERSION=Windows 8, 64 Bit, Core (build 9200)
CBCPU1=0.000000
CBCPUX=1109.477713
CBOPENGL=0.000000
CBOPENGLQUALITY=0.000000
C4DINFO=
C4DVERSION=15.037
C4DBUILDID=RC83328demo

How do they stack up?

EDIT:

I just did some research and apparently my scores are terrible, LOL.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
DDR5's speed will be between 4800MHz and 6400MHz. So, it'll be much faster than DDR4 and is therefore worth waiting for since it'll be released relatively soon; I built my current computer back in 2016 (and upgraded to a 1080Ti in 2017), so it wouldn't make sense for me to not wait merely one more year for DDR5. I'll run the Cinebench R15 benchmark and post the results.
In that case, wait one more year and see if Nvidia releases a Super version.

MiguelItUp

It most certainly will, unfortunately. I have an i7-7700K and with a 2080 my bottleneck is at 4-5%. Which, is a good thing, isn't really bottlenecking which is to be expected. However, with a 2080ti, it goes up to 15%. This increase leads me to believe that the greater the card, the more the bottleneck. So, with a 3070 being so much better than a 2080ti, I can't help but assume the bottlenecking percentage will be in the 20-25% range. 3090 will surely be higher.

Again, no guarantee, just an assumption. But we'll find out in due time.

I want a 3070/3080, but feel like I may just get a whole new rig whenever that happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Here are my Cinebench R15 results. Note that the program listed my operating system as Windows 8 even though it's actually Windows 10, but whatever.

How do they stack up?

EDIT:

I just did some research and apparently my scores are terrible, LOL.
Obviously they are bad, but you have a 60hz monitor, 4K is up to the GPU, holding 60fps probably doesn't require much processing, at least it seems to be something your CPU should be able to handle still.

If you had a high refresh rate monitor (120+fps) a CPU upgrade would be in order.
Look at a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 CPU performance, if your CPU doesn't do it overclock it to 4.3 and it will do it.
12_red-dead-dx12_1080p.png

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Obviously they are bad, but you have a 60hz monitor, 4K is up to the GPU, holding 60fps probably doesn't require much processing, at least it seems to be something your CPU should be able to handle still.

If you had a high refresh rate monitor (120+fps) a CPU upgrade would be in order.
Look at a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 CPU performance, if your CPU doesn't do it overclock it to 4.3 and it will do it.
12_red-dead-dx12_1080p.png
The display that I use a monitor, the TCL 55R635, has a 120Hz panel but can display 120Hz via HDMI at only 1440p and below due to having HDMI 2.0b ports rather than HDMI 2.1. Hence, at 4K it can display only 60Hz via HDMI. I prefer 4K-60Hz over 1440p-120Hz, by the way.

Top Bottom