• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you agree that remakes have become a bit of an annoying fad?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. Not really.
There are NOT THAT MANY.... 1-3 games is not that much.
Just this gen:
  1. Demon Souls
  2. TLOU
  3. RE4
  4. FF7 Rebirth
  5. Silent Hill 2
  6. Deadspace
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn
  8. Splinter Cell
  9. Metal Gear Solid (rumored remake by Bluepoint)
  10. Witcher 3

Dutchy

Banned
I welcome them, but in most cases they completely butcher the vision of the original game(s). Oddworld New N' Tasty being one of my favorite examples. Great looking remake on first glance but they completely sucked out the dreary industrial atmosphere from the original. Imo they did the same to Demon Souls to some extent but at least that shit looks amazing in it's own right.

RE2 with the first person was a nice touch, but similarly to RE3 they cut so many corners in terms of gameplay longevity that they feel like cheap snacks compared to the originals. REmake is the goat though. But I'm still scared to what they'll do to RE4. Probably gonna be like half the game with no backtracking and only half the collectibles.

sachos

I mostly like them, Remakes of games like SotC, RE2, FF7 or DeS and now RE4 are GREAT imo. TLoU Remake is more controvertial because it seems like way too soon, same with Horizon if the rumour its true.

the entire series is tonally inconsistent lmao
first few games are a 90s zombie horror flick, 4th to 6th ones are action oriented zombie arcade games, and the 7th and 8th ones are now first person nightmare horror games

You can have tonally consistent games with different styles of gameplay. They are not one in the same in any way, shape, or form.

I agree. I don’t mind and even like most remakes, but it is getting ridiculous. It’s one thing if the game is really old and feels antiquated, but imo some games just don’t need them and I rather see those resources, money and effort go into new games. Then again, a lot of modern companies now in many industries are creatively bankrupt and risk-averse. Gaming is getting pretty bad, but imo Hollywood is by far the worst with remakes, reboots and sequels.

Last edited:

Drell

I'd say that when you look a t games you don't care, it feels annoying and lazy. But when it's a game you love and it's a remake from a very old game, you'll probably be exceited for this.

The only remakes I'll definitly never "accept" are the ones Sony are making now. The Last of Us is a game from 2013 that got remastered and patched multiple times and they decided to milk it even more with a remake. And rumors talk about Horizon, a PS4 game, that's too much...

93xfan

Banned
I love both remasters and remakes. FF7 and Resident Evil 2 are amazing Remakes. Wouldn’t want to miss out on them. I can do without some other remakes though (especially when it’s just visuals).

EekTheKat

From a fan perspective, the words

"Remade/remastered/updated for a modern audience"

Is both somewhat appealing and utterly terrifying at the same time.

Peak enthusiasm happens at original release, and it all pretty much goes to downhill from there throughout the life cycle of the modern game.

WoJ

I think it depends. Games from the pre-HD era aren't terrible accessible on modern TVs and gaming as a medium and the technology have evolved enough to take classics and apply modern technology to create amazing experiences.

But at the same time I have zero interest in the Resident Evil 4 remake because the original is perfect the way it is and modern enough. To me there is nothing to gain from a remake.

But it certainly isn't solving the creativity problem most major studios have.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I like remakes, I like them like Resident evil 2 or Silent hill 2.

What I do dislike are Sony's ''Remakes'', which aren't... Like The Last of Us and Horizon, which aren't even Remakes and are rubbish.

Yes and No, I think most games that are remembered fondly deserve remakes, they're a good way to make a great game accessible to a modern audience. The main issue I have with remakes is when they are way too soon. I think at least 2 gens need to be between a game and it's remake (so currently that would mean early 360/PS3 games or earlier). Remasters are generally fine any time as long as they're advertised as such and are mostly upresses and maybe some QOL tweaks and meant to bring games from inaccessible consoles to modern consoles, but otherwise the same game (i.e. doesn't take a ton of development resources away from other games).

Video games should be accessible via modern consoles, and some games have aged terribly and would massively benefit from a remake. I really only have a problem with things like Last of Us being remastered/remade twice in 9 years (especially when they could've put that effort into a high quality remake/remaster of the Uncharted trilogy or Jak and Daxter games), or the plethora of One/PS4 to SX/PS5 "remasters"

I thought it was fine to remake the Last of Us, but I don't think this is an actual remake, I think it amounts to a remaster of a remaster, which I think is entirely inappropriate.

The game COULD have been remade utilizing the design concepts of LOU2 and I think that would have been a really fun experience. This was a lazy cash grab with poor art design.

Rippa

Cheap upgraded resolution and unlocked frame rate Remasters; YES.

Reimagined, upgraded visuals and animations Remakes; ABSOLUTELY NOT! Keep bringing them on Devs!

Sometimes I am surprised how many movies are remakes, reboots or inspired on something else.

Maybe this amount of remakes is just the next step for videogames as an Industry. Sad....but is what it is.

EDMIX

Just this gen:
  1. Demon Souls
  2. TLOU
  3. RE4
  4. FF7 Rebirth
  5. Silent Hill 2
  6. Deadspace
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn (the rumor states remaster, no evidence suggest otherwise)
  8. Splinter Cell
  9. Metal Gear Solid (rumored remake by Bluepoint)
  10. Witcher 3 (that is a remaster, none of CDPR statements have ever said anything about "remake")

So your list is literally just Remakes and then sprinkling on "remasters" and trying to lump them up into the same thing for attention or something when even the people making those never made statements like "remake".

For fuck sakes, even if you are to say 10 so far this gen, we have more fucking games coming out THIS YEAR then what you believe are "Remakes" this gen. The fact that you got to force in remasters to fake something doesn't even help your point, it proves you need to force this claim to stretch or reach to something.

So if next gen remaster or update means "Remake" to you, you'd need a bigger list as any thing now fits that fake ass point man lol

Isn't Octopath Traveler 2 getting some free next gen upgrade? Shit better list that too Slimy REMAKE before it even released bro /s lol

So at most you have 8 remakes, we have more new games coming out next month, then we do remakes thus far announced or rumored.

You'll live...

Last edited:

EDMIX

Remakes of games like SotC, RE2, FF7 or DeS and now RE4 are GREAT imo. TLoU Remake is more controvertial because it seems like way too soon, same with Horizon if the rumour its true.

yea that doesn't really make any sense as you could argue the very same thing about SotC or Demon Souls or Dead Space (which ever you might be referencing)

To say The Last Of Us 1 is too soon and its about to be decade old is as silly as saying its too soo for Dead Space or Demon Souls or something.

SoTC made on PS2, remade on PS4
Demon Souls made on PS3, remade on PS5
Dead Space made on PS3, remade on PS5
The Last Of Us made on PS3, remade on PS5

You are merely looking at the same generational gap from original release, to remake. So this "too soon" thing imho has little merit as the fucking PS5 isn't just magically getting stronger by the year or something, its a set thing and any remake coming this year or next year or next year after that...if its on PS5, its the same fucking system, using this weird ass logic, you might as well not play it and then wait 4 years and then buy it on PS5 and be like "ahhh yes, enough TIME has passed" lol

It would be like saying, the community would be ok with it, if it released on PS4 instead, oh but in 2025, but shit enough time passed though right? Thats the main point, time? Thats the key factor? Are some of you 100% sure about that or? Is it not new hardware to rebuild the game on? So we've seen remakes made in less time from those originals to remakes.

Resident Evil 2002
Metal Gear Solid 1

I'm 99.9% sure many will be able to live knowing that at almost 10 years, a remake was made several generations apart

GeekyDad

Yes, but not so much annoying as just...I don't know, it incites a similar feeling in me as overeating.

Fad? Nah. The video-game industry, like the movie industry, is just repeating itself...like the games it's repeatedly remaking. It's pretty much the same thing as farming, I guess. I suppose we just need to learn to try and control our consumption habits and ignore the advertising the best we can.

Maddux4164

Hollywood is doing the SAME THING

They love to remake movies and have sequels to a 30 year old one

No fresh ideas. Same thing. New cast.

If I have not played the original, I love the remakes. Like Silent Hill 2 or Resident Evil 2.

If I have played original, no way I am ruining sweet nostalgia.

Will make an exception to this for Final Fantasy 7 Remake series for that updated music. It's too good not to experience. Even if it ruins FF7 for me.

Nickolaidas

No. Almost every remake I've seen has been necessary in my eyes. Hell, I just said I want Capcom to remake REmake because RE1 is my favorite Survival Horror game and I want it to be remade every 10-15 years to be as up-to-date as it can in terms of visuals and atmosphere.

That said, some remakes are unnecessary, like tlou1. It should've been remade on the dusk of the ps6's lifespan, not one year into the ps5's lifecycle.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Depends what they are. Reimagined games like Resident Evil 2, give me that all day, that was incredible.

A lick of paint on The Last of Us 1, a game that didn't need a remake in any way, shape or form, for $70 - no.

Shh

If they're done well, which most aren't, I don't mind. In fact, when they're done well, it's like an incredibly magical and nostalgic leap back into my childhood. A lot of these remakes are incredibly lazy or handed off to terrible teams that seem to utterly not get the spirit of what made the original games so good to begin with. Or they take wholly unnecessary artistic liberties that nobody asked for.

Honestly, sometimes I just wish they'd bring back old games in their original, crappy graphics glory, and just make them compatible with all current gen consoles and PCs. That's it.

Depends what they are. Reimagined games like Resident Evil 2, give me that all day, that was incredible.

A lick of paint on The Last of Us 1, a game that didn't need a remake in any way, shape or form, for $70 - no.
This too. Reimagined games can be pretty amazing.

Last edited:

cireza

It was okay the first time, with Mario All-Stars, which was decent enough, but then it became pointless.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'll only agree after the following come out

Resistance 3 remake
Killzone 2 remake
Legend of Dragoon remake
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver remake
Dino Crysis remake
Syphon Filter remake
Uncharted 2 remake

EDMIX

Depends. RE2 remake and FF7R were great.

Remakes of last gen games are silly.

Agreed, but depends on what PS4 or XONE game, thus far we haven't seen anything like that just yet.

What game would fit that currently for a remake?

I'll only agree after the following come out

Resistance 3 remake
Killzone 2 remake
Legend of Dragoon remake
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver remake
Dino Crysis remake
Syphon Filter remake
Uncharted 2 remake
lol (THREAD)

The classic I agree...but only until (names series of remakes) lol

A Killzone 2 remake would be most good. Seeing how they've already done Demon Souls and The Last Of Us, sound like PS3 gen will get some remakes on PS5 and Killzone 2 is a huge candidate, I'll also say Folklore and Motorstorm. So its likely Sony will remake the classics. I'm not too sure about Capcom as I think they'll do Code Veronica after RE4 remake or the very first RE title being remade with over the shoulder or something, I'd love a Dino Crisis remake, but I don't know that Capcom is interested in doing that outside of RE.

I also think you'll see a remake of Uncharted 1 before 2, but shit to say Killzone 2 would come before 1.....maybe I'm wrong on that one and Uncharted 2 does get some remake before the very first game or something.

tassletine

Yes. It shows a worrying lack of confidence.

Companies like Naughty Dog and Rockstar seem incapable of moving beyond their 3rd person formula.
Both those companies have progressive narratives driving their stories (at least for videogames) but extremely conservative business practices.
Rockstar for example seems to think that their leaden control system is a defining feature, which is just baffling.

It's a symptom of success, as soon as they get a hit it becomes ALL about the money and they close the shutters.
Thank god for companies like Nintendo who despite being very conservative in a traditional sense are aware you can still experiment and fail.

I thought it was fine to remake the Last of Us, but I don't think this is an actual remake, I think it amounts to a remaster of a remaster, which I think is entirely inappropriate.

The game COULD have been remade utilizing the design concepts of LOU2 and I think that would have been a really fun experience. This was a lazy cash grab with poor art design.
I just think it would be too soon for a remake, the game came out in 2013 and was playable via the remaster on PS4. And it's hardly even dated from any standpoint, as compared to something like Uncharted 1 or some of Sony's other early PS3 or PS1/PS2 stuff that is way more in need of remaking at this point. I get why they did it because it's easy money, but I wish they would focus on older games that are harder to play (either via accessibility or outdated game mechanics/terrible graphics)

Fabieter

If they come with new content and it's like two gens old than I dont see the problem. Ofc new ips are awesome but lets be honest most new aaa ips aren't innovative anyway.

I like remakes, I like them like Resident evil 2 or Silent hill 2.

What I do dislike are Sony's ''Remakes'', which aren't... Like The Last of Us and Horizon, which aren't even Remakes and are rubbish.

Do you like Sony's "remakes" of Demon's Souls?

We have no idea what is going on with Horizon other than rumor. So we have 1 game that wasn't a remake.
I just think it would be too soon for a remake, the game came out in 2013 and was playable via the remaster on PS4. And it's hardly even dated from any standpoint, as compared to something like Uncharted 1 or some of Sony's other early PS3 or PS1/PS2 stuff that is way more in need of remaking at this point. I get why they did it because it's easy money, but I wish they would focus on older games that are harder to play (either via accessibility or outdated game mechanics/terrible graphics)
Remaking LOU1 makes more sense given the proximity of time to LOU2 and the upcoming HBO show.

The same with Uncharted 4 porting to PS5/PC makes sense with the movie's release.

Would have taken more time to fully remake Uncharted 1 to the point it needs to be

RAIDEN1

I already said in another thread, I see a Metal Gear 5 remake by 2024...in line with the current fashion of the Last of Us, and the Horizon game..

They just put fresh makeup on some old corpse of a game and put it out again because they know we're idiots and we'll buy it again.
Unfortunately necrophilia is really popular in the gaming community...
Another problem is that we now are in the age of mediocrity where the main theme is "monetizing incompetence" as there's no penalty for being incompetent.
So, essentially: buckle up and try to enjoy the ride.

Don't mind Remakes of 20-30 year old games... but Remakes of 4-5 year old games are absurd.
This!

Age-old games might need to be remade so that they're preserved, and so that newer gamers can enjoy them.

But if the game's fairly recent I don't really see the point. Companies might just be doing it for the money tho.

Last edited:
I hope the remaster/remake trend continues and grows. Old games are better than new games. The corporatization of gaming has had a negative effect on quality and fun.

BONDO

I dont care. I buy the ones i like and ignore the rest, no harm no foul.
I speak with my wallet.

I love the Last of Us- didnt need the latest remasters, i already did that on PS4. Perhaps others feel like myself at that equates to less sales which in turn creates larger gaps before remasters/remakes.
Who knows

Last edited:

Roufianos

Why on earth does it bother you? 99% of releases a year are new games. Why begrudge people getting replay their favourites?

Top Bottom