• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you agree that remakes have become a bit of an annoying fad?

EDMIX

They were bad at launch and for a while, but I recently played through them, and a lot of stuff got patched. I had a blast playing them all again, and I like that they preserved the old look and feel while fixing things like blocky hands and old textures and raising the resolution.

Agreed.

Its a very interesting remake as it seeks to remake it in a different engine, but maintain the same art direction to give that classic feel while updating features that still fit the past art direction, like lighting, the rain reflections, fire and smoke effects etc. Based on its reception, i do want a remake, of the remake of 3, VC and SA one day merely put in the new GTA engine or something as I think 2 remakes sorta make sense.

1 for the fans of the art style of the original games.
1 for fans that want the games in a different engine and visually up to the standards of modern gaming.

Kind like if we did a Chrono Cross Remake. Of course many would want it to look like Dragon Quest XII or something, but some might want it to look like that Octopath 2D 3D thing too. Both will still be remakes, merely with different art directions for 2 different styles and markets like what we saw with the special s edition of Dragon Quest XI where you could swap it and to a lessor extent in Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistance where you could switch from over the top like the original or 3D person with the remaster.

Gamerguy84

I've never played Dead Space. The first time I played TLOU was I n a PS4 so they're kind of working out for me.

Not to mention I don't play or think about anything I have no interest in so no they don't bother me.

FatallyYours

Gold Member
Just this gen:
  1. Demon Souls
  2. TLOU
  3. RE4
  4. FF7 Rebirth
  5. Silent Hill 2
  6. Deadspace
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn
  8. Splinter Cell
  9. Metal Gear Solid (rumored remake by Bluepoint)
  10. Witcher 3
Firstly, what constitutes a fad? Is there a number or percentage point we can put on it?
Because looking at those numbers, it's not a fad

I'm assuming slimysnakes list is a little tongue in cheek, as 8 of the 10 games either havnt been released, are remasters not remakes or even confirmed to be real things

According to Wikipedia 524 games have been released to the PS5 in its ~2 year life cycle (this isn't including all the shovelware shite), so being generous and saying Slimy's 10 games are remakes, that means 1.90839694657% of all games releases so far are remakes on PS5

I'd say thr LoU remake was unnecessary, but the majority should be welcomed. Its not a fad

Drizzlehell

Banned
OP, what resources are being wasted on with these remakes? We don't have such information to confirm that anything is being wasted.

BTW, I won't complain if there's an LOD Remake :)
Think of it this way - if devs and publishers would spend time and money that they're wasting on remakes on making new games instead, the world would be a better place.

I mentioned in the OP that I preferred when publishers were chasing the latest golden goose by making their own version of it, and even though people made fun of it or even complained about it back then, I think that it was way better for the industry overall. If other publishers never tried to copy Grand Theft Auto after that series became a huge hit, we'd never get great games like Saints Row 3 or Just Cause 2. If Resident Evil was never made, we'd never get Silent Hill and a whole bunch of other great survival horror titles. If this current fad of remaking games began back in the 2000s, publishers would just start digging up some old IPs from the 90s and started remaking that and video games would never get to where they are today, or at least it would take much longer to get here.

The point is, I think that remakes hurt the overall creativity within the industry because instead of trying to come up with something new, they're just treading water and we as consumers buy into it because most gamers are emotionally stumped idiots who just want to relive their childhoods because it's a way to escape responsibilities of an adulthood.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Tired of sequels and remakes personally - sequels never used to be much of a hassle, but then games used to be fairly straightforward one-and-done affairs. If you beat Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Resident Evil or Crash Bandicoot, it wasn't like you'd spent 70+ hours running around, rinsing the same mechanics and characters to death. With modern games running 20-30 hours just for golden path and 50+ hours for all the option stuff, it's harder to make a case for straight sequels.

Top Bottom