• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you say PC is more for hardcore gamers than console?

bender

What time is it?
I'll never understand why humans try to put themselves in these neat little boxes when there is only one box they truly belong in.

whatsinthebox-2.gif

DavidGzz

I think HC gamers play on console but eventually get a PC. I'd say a larger percentage of PC gamers are HC. I play on both since I need to play any and all good games and idc about the platform enough to shun something I may love.

Last edited:
Well a PC needs to be maintained to some degree, a console does not (unless you count removing dust from the thing).
The selection of games on PC is not curated due to the openness of the platform, it's still the wild west in many corners of PC land. Console games are sanitized and cherrypicked, approved and sometimes even censored by the platform holders.
So in that sense, yes, the audiences differ in these dimensions quite a bit.

Mister Wolf

Yes, because we are willing to spend a lot more money so we can have better visuals, resolution, and framerate. Take Dragon's Dogma 2 and FF7 Rebirth. They both are going to run terrible on console. I would never suffer through playing them like that. FF16 runs terrible too so it's best to wait for the announced PC port.

Last edited:

Mokus

Define hardcore gamers.

No. There are all kind of hardcore gamers, and definitely there is a specific group who are only on pc, the modding community. But the hardcore gamers who also like to collect games are nowadays only on consoles. Then the speed runners who are on every platform imaginable... And the list goes on and on.

clarky

Gold Member
HC for me is not on what you play, but how many genres and type of games you play. A HC gamer is someone who plays from crpgs to strategy to action games. From indies to AA and AAA games.
I'm a Hardcore Roblox player. I play and do nothing else for 18 hours a day. Am i not hardcore enough?

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
PC's definitely the choice for the power user, who's able to take far more control over their experience. For that reason, I tend to look at consoles as the "casual" gaming experience. But if one player spends 50 hours a week on PlayStation, and another player spends 8 hours a week on PC (but uses mods, can DIY his own personalized improvements to his gaming experience), which gamer's more hardcore?

clarky

Gold Member
Define hardcore gamers.

No. There are all kind of hardcore gamers, and definitely there is a specific group who are only on pc, the modding community. But the hardcore gamers who also like to collect games are nowadays only on consoles. Then the speed runners who are on every platform imaginable... And the list goes on and on.
If you main hobby is gaming then I'd say you're hardcore enough to hang with us.

Leonidas

Most popular games on PC are Fortnite, Roblox and Minecraft. Not to say consoles are more hardcore but the core is definitely kids.
The top 5 games on the biggest gaming platform on PC (Steam) are currently

Counter-Strike 2 (PC exclusive)
Helldivers 2 (Sony multiplat)
DOTA 2 (PC exclusive)
PUBG (3P multiplat)
Palworld (3P multiplat)

Fortnite is the most popular game on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Absolutely! first you can customize your hardware to get much better graphics, framerates for the games vs console versions. Then if you really love certain games you could go into trainers, cheat tables, mods to further customize your experience for quite a lot of games, also you could even learn to mod games yourself. There are also way more genres of games to choose from on the PC, you could get great games from every genre there. Only time when I play on console is usually some japanese games without pc version day 1, but the pain for lack of customizable options is always a pain even when I play those IPs that I really really want. I only play on console for 2% of the games that I absolutely can't wait for the pc version.

I just finished Return to Grace, a walking sim, and before that I started Pennys Big Breakaway, while Bluey downloaded in the background.
My PC is hard core.

Sakura

Yes, console gamers are typically casual gamers. It's the whole point of consoles. A cheaper box where you don't have to worry about settings or hardware configurations. You just buy a game and it works.
That's not to say every console gamer is a "casual" though.

killatopak

First, you have to tell me what hardcore exactly means because I've done my fair share of modding, setting up private servers and tinkering stuff. However there still console only gamers that eclipse my playing time, proficiency in gaming and general knowledge about gaming and specific games themselves including lore, music composition, game balance and design.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I prefer to just install it , and have it work as intended on a console.

Not deal with drivers, crashes, bsods, crap.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

No. PC is for gamers who want to play at better performance and tinker their games with mods. A console gamer could be gaming ten times the amount a PC gamer does.

Hardcore is about how much time you spend on the hobby. The computer / console is just the environment you choose to game on.

Maybe the OP could first define what he means by the term "hardcore" in the setting of gaming. Otherwise everybody just goes by his own (mostly undefined) definition and we dont haabe a conensus what we are actually talking about.

IAmRei

several years ago, i developed small shmups game. and thus i befriended with some of Shmups Players. i find these guys are very hardcore. aside from their already hard games, they are very dedicated to their games, borderline religion.

there are general knowledge for them, if they should buy old crt tv specific for certain games. they even know how to repair old crt because there are lot of times they cant find the replacement. and some of them i heard, even can make their own converter (i forgot if this is valid or not). for me they are very hardcore, considering they can also play one games in a decade just to be one who aims perfect score.

And one of them, owns arcade museum in their house (or basement, i forgot) and dang that's (for me) is very dedicated to merely shmups, a genre which usually took only 15 - 25 - 30 minutes each run to finish.

they are mostly 40s - 50s tho.

bitbydeath

The top 5 games on the biggest gaming platform on PC (Steam) are currently

Counter-Strike 2 (PC exclusive)
Helldivers (Sony multiplat)
DOTA 2 (PC exclusive)
PUBG (3P multiplat)
Palworld (3P multiplat)

Fortnite is the most popular game on PlayStation.
That’s likely the most popular paid games.

Here’s all games for January:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
PC is by its nature more hardcore than consoles.
There's just a lot more to a PC from a user perspective than a console. Console is just turn it on, there you are. Simple menus, simple everything. Not much you can do, but most importantly, not much you can do wrong. A very focused experience.
A PC is a complete ecosystem allowing you to do whatever the fuck you want with it. But with that comes complexity and the demand to deal with that complexity. Clearly not for everyone.

HOWEVER .... I don't think that has an impact on hardcore gaming or not.
Gaming-wise, there is the scale of hardcore and casual gamers (and likewise for games) - both can be done just fine with either platform.

Hardcore vs casual gaming is a difference of attitudes and personal investment, not one of platforms.

The only difference I see here (apart from artificial exclusivity) is that some games simply won't work well with a controller and very much require that keyboard & mouse.
I know that theoretically, there is kb&m for consoles, but from what I gather, nobody does that - those who do use kb&m just get a PC instead.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
No they are not .

This is the same group of people that spend thousands on hardware but complain about 70 dollars and anti cheat .

I buy and play all kinds of games (from puzzle to action etc...) Except gaas and competitive games ,but I game on console only , so am I a hardcore gamer?

Last edited:
It all depends on how you define hardcore.

If hardcore means highly competitive and rocking beefy rigs, yeah, PC have those advantages.

6f2cce37d2c.jpg

But if hardcore boils down to great enthusiasm, then console gamers can also get serious. Stuff like great game collections:

finally-bought-shelves-to-display-all-of-my-games-v0-pylmgm2nhnd81.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
Change your wording and you get an easy answer.

"Would you say the more expensive and technically demanding options are more for enthusiasts of a given hobby than the cheaper and more convenient options?"

You don't learn how to ride a bike on a £5000 custom build. Does the average person that wants to ride a bike go down that route or do they pop down to their local Halfords and pick something that costs less first?

Gaming isn't a unique world where different rules apply. If you feel differently about that, it's because you're an enthusiast of this hobby and want to let your pedantry take over because you're so enveloped in this hobby that it blinds you.

The more I answer this, the more I think OP didn't actually think about the question. It's about as two-sided as "Do you agree with genocide?"

Denton

Consoles are (mostly) plug and play, which means they have always been geared towards casuals. That does not mean everyone playing on them is casual who knows nothing about technology, but..yeah.

Leonidas

That’s likely the most popular paid games.

Here’s all games for January:
My list is for the entirety of Steam, the biggest PC Gamnig platform, there are several F2P games in the list... and the Steam list is updated daily.

Your link is a hodge podge of games from different services tacked together, and I'm not sure how accurate that data is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom