• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you say PC is more for hardcore gamers than console?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd say the PC spectrum as a whole is way more diverse than consoles for casual players and hardcore.

On one hand, you got gamers playing a old ass PCs probably playing solitaire, or match 3 gem games from 20 year ago. Then you hardcore gamers who got 4090 rigs worth tons of money and even putting the PC together themselves. Surely add in a fancy monitor, gaming chair, and good mouse.

And when it comes to that crazy shit like racing fans buying and putting together those killer cockpits with triple screens, that's a PC thing. Not a console thing.

Quantum253

Both Microsoft and Sony games on PC now. The options in framerates and resolution. Retro emulation etc. Is PC more for hardcore gamers than console?
I think it comes to the settings and being able to tweak everything to achieve framerates/graphics/etc. Or HAVING to do it , or adjust config files, because the developer didn't do it properly or to get it to work properly on a large array of hardware/specs.
Consoles all perform exactly the same outside of a few sliders. I don't want to spend hours tweaking settings to get things to work right. In that I would yes to hard-core. I think PC has always had a special breed of tinkerers and people who really like to have complete control of the experience...... Are consoles casuals, not lile the mobile market, but some times I just want that shit to work

Why have there been daily threads after threads of people endorsing PC gaming suddenly? Did these multiplat announcements get to some of you guys this badly?

nikos

Consoles are for children and exclusives that seemingly no longer exist.

EDIT: Nintendo still has some good first and third party exclusives but there are overall way less than in previous generations.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Consoles are for children and exclusives that seemingly no longer exist.

EDIT: Nintendo still has some good first and third party exclusives but there are overall way less than in previous generations.
Someone forgot to tell this kid that

Senua

I mean it's pretty obvious consoles are the most streamlined and accessible experience. The people that wana rock some Call of Duty and Fifa after work/school with some Dew aren't gonna load up on a big rig. You're gonna hurt some feeling with that title though, especially the super hardcore console gamers on here that play anything from Spiderman 2 to *insert popcorn AAA experience*

Hudo

What does that even mean? "Hardcore"? Are you hardcore because you've spent >1000 hours in Stellaris? Are you hardcore because you own every Switch game physically? Are you hardcore because you've spent $5000+ on Fortnite? Are you hardcore because you can completely clear house in Tekken 8? Are you hardcore because you 60 PCBs (2 of which are broken) of various versions of Gradius?

My answer would be all of the above. It's a matter of how willing you are to dive deep. The platform(s) on which you do that are the most unimportant thing ever. You play games, not the platforms.

Chastten

Banned
My personal guess, based on nothing but my own experiences, is that PC has most of both ends of the spectrum.

On one hand, everyone who wants to own the best of the best, build their own stuff, mess around with mods and apps and all that jazz
On the other hand, all the kids and casuals who only play minecraft, roblox, solitaire and counterstrike on their 10 year old hand-me-down PC

Both groups have no interest in consoles whatsoever, but fall in the opposite side of the spectrum.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What does that even mean? "Hardcore"? Are you hardcore because you've spent >1000 hours in Stellaris? Are you hardcore because you own every Switch game physically? Are you hardcore because you've spent $5000+ on Fortnite? Are you hardcore because you can completely clear house in Tekken 8? Are you hardcore because you 60 PCBs (2 of which are broken) of various versions of Gradius?

My answer would be all of the above. It's a matter of how willing you are to dive deep. The platform(s) on which you do that are the most unimportant thing ever. You play games, not the platforms.
Casual or hardcore can be interpreted different across whatever factor involved. Spending time and money on game playing are a few metrics that can span across any device (even someone still rocking a Gameboy).

But I dont see how any console gamer can be more hardcore than any PC hardcore gamer who spends lots of money and time on PC specs or putting it together themselves.

Chastten

Banned
That being said, it all depends on your definition of hardcore.

For me personally, I don't consider most 4090 owners hardcore gamers, as most of them seem to be mostly interested in eyecandy, moreso than actually playing videogames. Again, this is based on personal experiences and interpretation, but yeah, you can have a €3000 PC, if all you do with that PC is Counterstrike, Overwatch, and mess around with Skyrim and Cyberpunk mods, than I don't consider you a hardcore gamer. Or even a gamer at all. You're just someone who occasionally plays some games to kill time. You're as much as a gamer as my mother, who plays Farmville on her tablet for 3 hours a day.

Boneless

Console is more for casual peasants, to become a PC games one needs to ascend.

However, I also do have a console to mingle now and then with the common folk.

Doom85

A hardcore gamer is defined in my book as someone who plays the most and widely varied amount of games. There’s no difference between console and PC owners in that regard.

Oh the bait. I can't see how this won't lead to console warring.

Anyway, many said this before me, but you absolutely have to define "hardcore gamer". It's a problem of semantics. Only then can we all agree on who is a hardcore gamer and whether PC is the hardcore console.

daclynk

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

It will be Wild is Microsoft goes with intel on Next Gen whiles Sony stays with AMD and Nintendo with NVIDIA. It will be an interesting Gen.

It definitely takes something extra.

Buy a new console - game on!

Buy a new 4080 Super:

1. Won’t post - ah - issue with power draw, plug different 8 pin into card - success.

2. Still not ideal though - wire looks cheap - buy new wire.

3. Try new wire. Play several games - hmm - not quite as good as it could be. Fps seems a bit low - also some tearing.

4. Use overlay to check power, fps and gpu usage. Power seems a bit low - we are talking 10 to 20 w. I have the required 750w psu - it should be fine but….

5. Buy 1000w psu and install - no immediate difference with stutter, but clear that getting higher fps - good.

6. Research stutter - could be g sync interfering with v sync. Decision as to 144hz or higher (monitor can do up to 180hz) - check it out and anything over 144 is oc and so colour depth drops to 8 from 10 - hmmm - sounds best to stick with 10 so stick to 144.

7. Further research - enable vsync in nvidia settings - and gsync and something else which caps frames to 140 or so.

8. Try games again - no stutter and fps solid at 140 or so!

9. Mess around with MSI crappy cooling software for what seems like hours to avoid annoying fan noises that are now happening (due to changing psu and mobo bios deciding to forget fan curve). Not helped by windows not liking you to boot in bios anymore. Success - nice and quiet.

10. Screw around with power cables so rgb on new gpu visible outside case. Perfect.

Only took a few days and another £150 plus but now satisfied. The gpu cost twice as much as my ps5 which worked out the box. I don’t what that is if it isn’t hardcore.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
For the most part 'PC Gamers' are a bunch of FOMO suckers, who can be seen coming a mile off by the industry.

..and I say that as someone who has been a PC Gamer for over 25yrs and now despairs at the idiocy most of them display when it comes to throwing money down the drain, which started with a vengeance during the pandemic but which has not abated, long after its ended.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I don’t what that is if it isn’t hardcore.
It's a pain. I've had two rattling fans in my case for over a year now and a cpu cooler that sounds like a jet engine. Still can't be bothered to replace anything.

Edit: And that's on a crappy small case that barely fits my gpu and I should have changed 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

PC gaming is nowhere near as hardcore as it used to be. Too many console gamers trying to set the agenda of what is good for the platform.

Aion002

Some definitely are.

Console players that feel the need to get the best graphics and play everything eventually become pc players.

While those that just want to play some games stick to the platforms they have or like more.

Not all pc gamers are hardcore, but every hardcore gamer ends up being a pc gamer.... I think.

Filben

Is PC more for hardcore gamers than console?
I know some hardcore gamers who wouldn't touch a PC for gaming. Vice versa, I know casual gamers who only play on PC because that's what they have and they don't want to spend 500 EUR + a game's price on a console just to play games.

I think it's the mindset. It's not about performance and visuals, which only affects a tiny fraction of enthusiasts. It's the openness of the system, the ability to tune and set up your system and games just a little bit more to your liking than you could on console. Choice of peripherie, store fronts (even for where to get your Steam keys from), choice of which voice-chat service to use, which sound systems/software/3D sound to use, etc. But with that freedom comes responsiblity and the chance for being overwhelmed by choice or screwing things up on your system because many things interact with each other that might not be foreseen by developing parties. Some people prefer it simple or at least simpler.

Not that PC gaming can be simple, mind you. It's just sooner or later you will make use of that freedom in some ways. I think people who use a PC literally only for gaming (no browsing, no watching videos or other media, not using any kind of software except the ones necessary for gaming) are marginal.

hinch7

Thats not how it works. A person who is into gaming 'hardcore', puts many hours into their hobby. Thus games. There's plenty of casuals on all platforms as there are hardcore gamers on PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo platforms. With that said there are a lot of hardcore gamers on PC.. with select genres and games (MMO's especially) with a large following like WoW and FFXIV; where there are millions around the globe playing concurrently at any given time.

You do need to be a bit more knowlegable on specifications and what works on PC, as not all games can run on all hardware. But thats about it.

Last edited:
If not, then why is there a discussion about which platform has most sales for HD2?
Because this community has it’s quirks and that’s one of them. There is no reason for Sony to compete with themselves.

The people who only buy consoles do not care about PC. Every generation a new crop of PC owners show up and ask ‘why?’ and are baffled by this. It’s the same type of confusion when they discover that the newest generation of kids mainly play on phones.

If they are constantly bewildered by these two things, then there’s no point in explaining.

Last edited:

mrmeh

No. I would say being a 'Hardcore' gamer would be more about time spent, community involvement and importance of the hobby in that person's life.

Killjoy-NL

Because this community has it’s quirks and that’s one of them. There is no reason for Sony to compete with themselves.

The people who only buy consoles do not care about PC. Every generation a new crop of PC owners show up and ask ‘why?’ and are baffled by this. It’s the same type of confusion when they discover that the newest generation of kids mainly play on phones.

If they are constantly bewildered by these two things, then there’s no point in explaining.
I'm not talking about Sony competing with itself.
Talking about communities.

Maybe 'competing' was a bad way to phrase it.

'Platform-wars' might be more appropriate, instead of PS vs Xbox it's going to be PC vs PS going forward.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not really. It's just a certain kind of gamer who's attracted to that. I would call myself a hardcore gamer for sure, but I choose to play on console. I have gamed on PC in the past, and I have the knowledge to do so now as well if I wanted to, but console is just more convenient. Is the experience slightly worse in terms of image quality and framerate? Quite often yes, but it's good enough. And on the other hand I don't have to deal with the severe stuttering issues that have plagued many PC release in the last few years. Plus wasting time optimizing settings, managing drivers, Windows updates and other annoyances (not saying that stuff is difficult, just that on console you don't need to think about it at all).

I also very rarely play FPS or RTS, so KBM isn't much of a factor. Most games I enjoy play better using a controller (which you can of course use on PC too, I'm saying I don't miss KBM).

I'm not talking about Sony competing with itself.
Talking about communities.

Maybe 'competing' was a bad way to phrase it.

'Platform-wars' might be more appropriate, instead of PS vs Xbox it's going to be PC vs PS going forward.
Whatever synonym you want to use lol, PS and PC aren’t at odds with each other.

Again, console-only buyers don’t intersect with PC like everyone here wants them to. OP could make 50 more threads saying why PC is so great and a console buyer here will just say ‘ok’ because they do not care.

Console buyers are even worried about their own problems like the upcoming pro console, the potential loss of discs, and how the new Switch could be competition if it can match this gen graphically. They are not concerned about PC.

That’s why I’m raising an eyebrow lately at some of these PC-sales pitch threads.

Generally, yes but I suppose it comes down to how you want to define 'gamer' and 'hardcoreiness'. The biggest factor for me saying "yes" is that the 'hardcore' consoles are just similarly designed x86 boxes at this point. The hardware is no longer unique and interesting, and they can't provide anything that a PC couldn't.

There will be a 14 year old boy in Japan somewhere who has only ever used a dusty old PS4 on a 14" TV with a controller with half its buttons broken and a permanently drifting left stick who could pwn everybody on this forum on any game they care to mention.

Generally, yes but I suppose it comes down to how you want to define 'gamer' and 'hardcoreiness'. The biggest factor for me saying "yes" is that the 'hardcore' consoles are just similarly designed x86 boxes at this point. The hardware is no longer unique and interesting, and they can't provide anything that a PC couldn't.
Another typical stereotype with how Japanese players are better than Westerns at games. Nothing hardcore about the Japanese, they can't even handle pubic hair

Killjoy-NL

Whatever synonym you want to use lol, PS and PC aren’t at odds with each other.

Again, console-only buyers don’t intersect with PC like everyone here wants them to. OP could make 50 more threads saying why PC is so great and a console buyer here will just say ‘ok’ because they do not care.

Console buyers are even worried about their own problems like the upcoming pro console, the potential loss of discs, and how the new Switch could be competition if it can match this gen graphically. They are not concerned about PC.
I'm actually in complete agreement with you on this, just to clear that up.

But this:
That’s why I’m raising an eyebrow lately at some of these PC-sales pitch threads.
is what I was referring to.

is what I was referring to.
What you’re referring to I can’t fully answer without inciting console wars. Even though I own all 3 and treat them equally, others don’t and get upset. Read my first post again.

The timing of these PC-pitching threads is what I am raising an eyebrow to, because of what has been happening on the forum this week and last week.

You didn’t see these threads pre-February.

Kokoloko85

Ive played all most systems since the late 80's including PC.

I now mostly play on PS5 and Switch.
I think hardcore is how much time and mindshare you have in the industry, not where you play.

Theres probably people who only play on Nintend. You cant say they arent hardcore gamers just because they dont play on PC lol

Braag

Not necessarily. Some people like to buy pre made PCs and call it a day.

To me, if you enjoy the process of building your own PC and taking care of it software wise, meaning you're tech savvy enough to keep your GPU driver up to date and not accidentally install hundreds of freeware apps that all try to start up when you turn on the PC, then it makes sense to get a PC purely for gaming.
It's not for everyone and it is way more expensive than consoles, so there is a barrier of entry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom