• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you shorten your lifespan for money????

AT THE AGE OF 20, YOU GET AN OFFER. Read the thread

• 5 million dollars but you will die at the age of 45

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • You would refuse the offer

Votes: 49 76.6%

• Total voters
So, you're presented with a choice.
Let's say you're presented with this choice at 20 years old. So a man comes to you and presents you a choice. He works for a chemical company.
They're testing this new drug and stuff, and they want to inject you a specific drug. There are no side effects or anything except one big major side effect. You will die at age 45. It's 99.9% certain that you'll die at this exact age. So when you reach 45, you're dead brah. But, here's the thing. You're presented with this choice at the age of 20. So you get 25 years to live. If you take his offer, you get 5 million dollars.(see option 1)
So you have a choice. What would you do?

Option 1 ---take the 5 million dollars and let him inject the drug. But you will die at age 45.
Option 2 -- refuse the offer. Obviously, you don't get the money, no drug is injected in your body and you will die when you're supposed to.

Let's say you don't take the money and you die in 2 years because a car hit you. You'd feel stupid.

I'll go first. I'd take the money. Living 25 years with that kind of cash would be enough for me.

Ornlu

Banned
Yeah, I would have taken it at 20. By that time I had a kid already, and was poor as shit. I'd have invested 4 mil of that MF'er instantly, would live off of the 1 mil remainder for the rest of my life, and worked some to make that $40,000 a year be more like $75,000.

:messenger_beermugs:

brap

Banned
No way 45 is young as hel! And you'd miss out on a lot of good games and movies and cool technological advances and plus u won't see ur know kids grow up and get married and have their own kids.

6GN3v9M.jpg

I'm 35, but even if you said I'd just get another 25 years instead, I'd still say no.

5mil is really not that much in the grand scheme of things, so I'd rather have a full lifespan. Life is more important than cash.

Gargus

Banned
45? God damn no way. I'll be dead in like 2 years.

Now that I said that watch this, I'll die on my 45th birthday somehow anyway, broke.

Last edited:
5 million is barely anything, no way, it would have to be enough money to buy and finance a sports team, like a Real sports team, to great success for all the years until i died. So that's billions.

H4ze

No way man, 45 would be way to early to go.
At least I hope that I will live long enoughe to be able to go full old-man-yells-at-cloud mode.

45? God damn no way. I'll be dead in like 2 years.

Now that I said that watch this, I'll die on my 45th birthday somehow anyway, broke.
But you would be presented this choice when you're 20. That's 25 years of life. But carefree life with 5 mil.

lock2k

Banned
Isn't that what the whole society does and preaches all the time? Open Linkedin and you'll see a bunch of bozos bragging about how they work all the time and they all end up getting some horrible disease and having to use the money to try to cure themselves and fail spectacularly.

I guess the answer is yes. I do this all the time. But not because i want to.

Super Mario

Banned
At 20, 45 seems like enough time. In my 30s, 45 is way too close. 5 million is also not enough to get THAT crazy. Give me a billion and let me die at 60. We'll talk then.

Last edited:

BigBooper

45 no way. Make it 65 and more money and I'd probably do it. Most people trade a large part of their life away for money in the form of work, so it's not much different.

MetalAlien

Banned
Life is more precious than money. Hell no.

I pity people who entertain such a transaction.
I was 20 in 1991. By the time 2016 gets here all the great movies would have been made, and the rise of SJW bullshit would just be digging it's claws into the world. I'd get to see Hillary eat a loss just as i'm going into the ground.

My only regret would be missing Infinity War, but the bonus is I also miss Captain Flatass.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was 20 in 1991. By the time 2016 gets here all the great movies would have been made, and the rise of SJW bullshit would just be digging it's claws into the world. I'd get to see Hillary eat a loss just as i'm going into the ground.

My only regret would be missing Infinity War, but the bonus is I also miss Captain Flatass.

The Cruise Missile is still going at it, not all is lost. Maverick, Edge of Tomorrow 2, two more McQuarrie Mission Impossible flicks coming.

Top Bottom