• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Fox Mulder

Can we rename Xpac heat to Brandi heat? I never want to watch when she’s on. She’s part of that angry group who bitches about the women not getting chances and here she is getting the celebrity spot, likely leading to a ppv match. I watched dark elevation I think this week and it was Brandi vs. K. king…and Brandi is now officially the worst wrestler I’ve seen since Eva Marie, except Brandi had been in and around wrestling for over a decade. I apologize to Red Velvet, you are no longer the absolute worst female wrestler in AEW…just the second worst.

also, show could have been better, not enough Danhausen.

It was stupid to put her out there to build this match in front of a Chicago crowd. A match with Brandi and Vanzant will be dogshit though, maybe it would work with someone more experienced.

Just_one

i love AEW even the comedy but something is seriously wrong (ratings wise)

Obviously they are missing Omega and Bucks in big storylines and its seems that Hangman doesnt have the star power they thought they have as champion.

Also Bryan/Punk/Cole/Black , they are great characters and wrestlers but arent bringing any new viewers , as much as i love them its the true.

I honestly think Tony Kahn thought getting those 4 guys would help but its not the case , as someone already stated they were having better (or around the same) numbers without them which is weird.

They must find a way to really grow their audience. how to do it? sorry i´ve no idea.

i think it´s clear that no wrestler is truly a draw these days , the only ones who could do something is either Cena or Rock and those wont go to AEW and in a way thats a good thing.

they need to grow their own stars but that takes time and sometimes the right storyline. MJF is a star already more so after beating punk last night, he should be the one to take the title of Hangman
and then have a babyface Omega return(which would suck because i LOVE heel Omega) but there is a story there with bucks and Cole for sure before going for the title.

The thing i love about aew is the not so over produced feeling of the show (it seems like old attitude era raw in a way ) , it still feels unpredictable which is great (the way wardlow gave MJF the ring and how the annoucers uncover and told/sold that moment was PERFECT).

Everyone just seems to have fun in AEW , they are happy being there and just wanna wrestle, the feeling around everyone seems pretty good and that comes out to the viewers.

Also the crowds are always pretty engaging and it seems like a huge party.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Obviously they are missing Omega and Bucks in big storylines and its seems that Hangman doesnt have the star power they thought they have as champion.

Also Bryan/Punk/Cole/Black , they are great characters and wrestlers but arent bringing any new viewers , as much as i love them its the true.

I honestly think Tony Kahn thought getting those 4 guys would help but its not the case , as someone already stated they were having better (or around the same) numbers without them which is weird.

They must find a way to really grow their audience. how to do it? sorry i´ve no idea.

i think it´s clear that no wrestler is truly a draw these days , the only ones who could do something is either Cena or Rock and those wont go to AEW and in a way thats a good thing.

they need to grow their own stars but that takes time and sometimes the right storyline. MJF is a star already more so after beating punk last night, he should be the one to take the title of Hangman
and then have a babyface Omega return(which would suck because i LOVE heel Omega) but there is a story there with bucks and Cole for sure before going for the title.

The thing i love about aew is the not so over produced feeling of the show (it seems like old attitude era raw in a way ) , it still feels unpredictable which is great (the way wardlow gave MJF the ring and how the annoucers uncover and told/sold that moment was PERFECT).

Everyone just seems to have fun in AEW , they are happy being there and just wanna wrestle, the feeling around everyone seems pretty good and that comes out to the viewers.

I think the wrestling audience has just shrunk over the past 20 years. Someone along the lines of a steve austin or rock needs to come along again. Aew may be as big as it's going to get until then. Look at the wwe. The are making bank off their tape library but their ratings have consistently been down forever.

Just_one

Look at the wwe. The are making bank off their tape library but their ratings have consistently been down forever.

The downfall of wwe has only themselfs to blaime. their product these days is terrible , non sense booking ,storylines that dont make any sense and there is no sense of continuaty whatsoever. also decisions that question the viewer inteligence to say the very least.

DKehoe

I think the wrestling audience has just shrunk over the past 20 years. Someone along the lines of a steve austin or rock needs to come along again. Aew may be as big as it's going to get until then. Look at the wwe. The are making bank off their tape library but their ratings have consistently been down forever.
WWE is making huge money just now but it's more down to them being lucky in terms of the state of the marketplace than them actually doing well. They produce a huge amount of live content year round that has a dedicated audience. The audience numbers are trending downwards but they still fit the bill for what media platforms are willing to pay huge amounts for and they have a recognisable brand name. They're pretty much idiot-proof at this point, for the next few years anyway since the majority of their money is coming from these guaranteed deals.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I really think the format is the issue. I have several friends that were in the wrestling bubble when everyone else was. (WCW, attitude era, etc) I have told them many times they gotta check out AEW. Even a PPV or something just to get an idea of whats going on/how different it is than WWE. But when I tell them they are 3-4 hours long they are instantly out. When you factor is the 3 hours of TV you are "supposed to watch" weekly its just a lot for some reason.

I am kinda with them though. I actually fucking loved NXTs style before the Vince changes/USA deal. Hour long, far more focus on stories, fewer matches. I love wrestling but even as a fan its really difficult to keep my attention for 8 matches on a card for a PPV. The wrestling from match to match just isn't unique enough most of the time. I scrub through Dynamite every week simply for time reasons. A lot of matches just dont matter. I care far more about the promos and story these days.

The shorter weekly shows combined with the shorter format of NXT takeovers with less matches I think fits far more with the modern TV audiences.

I really feel like less is more but that doesnt vibe with how TV deals are structured.

RavageX

With the state of wrestling now, it's hard for me to like it. Most of the wrestlers look like they need to eat a burger or something. Yeah, it's fake but I liked it when it was believable and it simply isn't anymore. From story points to the wrestling itself. I just watch the old stuff on peacock. 80s/90s wrestling in Japan, and listen to people talk about it from time to time.
It's clear the folks at WWE have lost their mind, plus that product hasn't interested me since the attitude era.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
With the state of wrestling now, it's hard for me to like it. Most of the wrestlers look like they need to eat a burger or something. Yeah, it's fake but I liked it when it was believable and it simply isn't anymore. From story points to the wrestling itself. I just watch the old stuff on peacock. 80s/90s wrestling in Japan, and listen to people talk about it from time to time.
It's clear the folks at WWE have lost their mind, plus that product hasn't interested me since the attitude era.
I lost interest in WWE years ago. After a while it was a title change all the time.

Hinedorf

Banned

AEW just put on one hell of a show Wednesday night so I'm kind of on the other side of the fence with your takes here and all I would say is compare what you got Wednesday night to the competition, I'd be more grateful than critical especially after the last premium live WWE event

I will agree with you on Hangman, it's just not working and may never will, I'm fully rooting for Lance Archer even though I know that's wishful thinking.

IMO Kenny Omega IS the franchise of AEW, I had never seen him prior to AEW other than clips, since the start of AEW till now, he is without question what they should be constantly building around story-wise even if he's not the champ.

Best match AEW ever had and quite possibly one of the best matches ever was Omega vs BD, not sure how they're going to top that.

dave_d

Oh no. They're doing Reign V Goldberg at Saudi Arabia? What's worse is it looks like they're doing Zayn V Knoxville at Wrestlemania.

ElRenoRaven

Hinedorf

Banned
They need to stop. They can't use everyone they have signed now damn it. It's so damn ridiculous because they probably could if they didn't keep bringing in local jobbers everywhere for Dark and the other youtube series. However if they keep signing more and more they're not gonna be able to.
Neither can WWE use all their talent, and yet we still get Roman Vs Brock for the 20th time so what's the actual difference?

I would also completely disagree with your line of thinking as spots like Danhausen just randomly appearing are both fresh and fantastic surprises you NEVER get with WWE. OH LOOK IT'S OLD GOOLDBERG! Which part timer will show up for a PPV spot and promptly disappear.

Funny thing I'm clearly an AEW mark, I've only ever watched Dynamite/Rampage shows, really wish they'd extend Friday to 2 hours.

Dthomp

Neither can WWE use all their talent, and yet we still get Roman Vs Brock for the 20th time so what's the actual difference?

I would also completely disagree with your line of thinking as spots like Danhausen just randomly appearing are both fresh and fantastic surprises you NEVER get with WWE. OH LOOK IT'S OLD GOOLDBERG! Which part timer will show up for a PPV spot and promptly disappear.

Funny thing I'm clearly an AEW mark, I've only ever watched Dynamite/Rampage shows, really wish they'd extend Friday to 2 hours.
They need to take Rampage to 2 hours and get an earlier time slot if they stay on Friday. (I’d try to move to Saturday). Go head to head with SD if you have to, nobody watches both shows as is, so it’s not like they’ll lose viewers.

surprise signing should clearly be a baby face, hoping for Gargano, probably will be Keith Lee, although I hate new signings being in these number one contender matches.

hotbrew

Neo Member
AEW can’t make Rampage 2 hours. They’re not gonna do Dynamite live and then tape 2 more goddamn hours of Rampage. That would be what? 5 hours of wrestling every Wednesday? As a person that has gone to a LOT of AEW shows in Florida, let me tell you, crowd is TIRED by the time Rampage starts and you guys want to add another hour to that? Just…no.

The other option would be to go live on Fridays for 2 hours (assuming TNT gives them the extra hour) and hey, I love AEW with all my heart but they’re not even close to being hot enough to run a second weekly building for Rampage. They certainly have the roster for a second 2 hour show but it would be an insane amount of storylines running and Dynamite as it is feels like a whirlwind of stuff happening.

The set up they have for tv now is what’s gonna be for the forseable future and I’m personally fine with it.

Hinedorf

Banned
AEW can’t make Rampage 2 hours. They’re not gonna do Dynamite live and then tape 2 more goddamn hours of Rampage. That would be what? 5 hours of wrestling every Wednesday? As a person that has gone to a LOT of AEW shows in Florida, let me tell you, crowd is TIRED by the time Rampage starts and you guys want to add another hour to that? Just…no.

The other option would be to go live on Fridays for 2 hours (assuming TNT gives them the extra hour) and hey, I love AEW with all my heart but they’re not even close to being hot enough to run a second weekly building for Rampage. They certainly have the roster for a second 2 hour show but it would be an insane amount of storylines running and Dynamite as it is feels like a whirlwind of stuff happening.

The set up they have for tv now is what’s gonna be for the forseable future and I’m personally fine with it.
Had no idea they did taping like that, was totally under the assumption Friday was live

hotbrew

Neo Member
Had no idea they did taping like that, was totally under the assumption Friday was live
Yeah, after Dynamite goes off the air they change the apron, do the Rampage intro and tape the matches. They only do live Rampage shows when is the go home show for a PPV.

Dthomp

I forgot to address that in my first post, I went through that with Rampage before Full Gear cause they taped Dark or something with it. Rampage always comes off boring on TV because it's taped after 2 hours of other wrestling already. I'd love to see them live Friday nights as well and you do the Dark/D. Elevation crap on a different night at Universal or wherever they do it. Rampage with a dead crowd for 1 hour is beyond boring, and they have the roster that they need more TV

NickFire

We got some real world metrics for how WWE is doing in the eyes of wrestling fans here. It's Tuesday, and this thread hasn't bumped since Saturday. That says a lot.

Anyway, AEW should be hot tomorrow. What's next for Mox and BD? Where does MJF go from here? Can't wait to find out.

hotbrew

Neo Member
We got some real world metrics for how WWE is doing in the eyes of wrestling fans here. It's Tuesday, and this thread hasn't bumped since Saturday. That says a lot.

Anyway, AEW should be hot tomorrow. What's next for Mox and BD? Where does MJF go from here? Can't wait to find out.
Andrew Zarian was talking about this on WOL. How RAW isn’t appointment tv anymore. I would throw Smackdown there as well. NOTHING on WWE other than their *#Moments brought to you by Castrol GTX. Drive Hard* during whatever PPV they do to try and spark some conversation is relevant or important. Their product is just cold. Nothing other than Bork and Reigns matters to them and to the fans. Good luck with that in 3/4 years time when they move on from rasslin’

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
So we're definitely getting a new face on AEW tomorrow. A lot of the known names are out there and none of them really move the needle for me. There's ideally only one signing I want AEW to make and that's Bray Wyatt. Anybody else I'd just say 'meh' outside of the shock factor of a Shane/TripleH

Last edited:

Dthomp

So we're definitely getting a new face on AEW tomorrow. A lot of the known names are out there and none of them really move the needle for me. There's ideally only one signing I want AEW to make and that's Bray Wyatt. Anybody else I'd just say 'meh' outside of the shock factor of a Shane/TripleH
I’m the complete opposite 😂. Bray is the only one that wouldn’t move the needle for me at all. There is a pic recently of him from a wedding, and he’s fatter then ever. The dude might be interesting, but he’s clearly not interested in eating just a little healthy or going for a walk once in a while.

Best bet is Keith Lee, but I’m not sure I want him in a ladder match after all the time off and his frame. Could be a swerve and Gargano or Kross debut. I’d legit lose my shit over HHH showing up and putting his arms around his boys the UE. Shane would be a funny lol moment, but honestly past the shock, Shane does nothing to move the needle outside of buzz. Dude flat out can’t go anymore, isn’t a good on air persona anymore, and based on recent run, is shit behind the scenes too.

Is Regal signed to impact? I’d love his mind to step through that door.

Imagine the pop if Word Life were to hit…roof might explode. Is Peacemaker even still under a contract?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What if it’s will osprey ?

Or ibushi ?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
For anyone that watched and lived through the time are the Asylum years of TNA worth checking out?

I know Jeff Jarrett and DOA (The Harris boyz) ran the show, but there must be a few great matches there?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
For anyone that watched and lived through the time are the Asylum years of TNA worth checking out?

I know Jeff Jarrett and DOA (The Harris boyz) ran the show, but there must be a few great matches there?
Absolutely. Anything regarding the x division. It's filled with bangers. You've got a young AJ Styles, Low Ki, Jerry Lynn, Cristopher Daniels, Amazing Red, Elix Skipper etc. A quick search on the tube gave this video. Check out the AJ, Low Ki, Lynn ladder match about 15 minutes in.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think I am making a sign for next weeks show, featuring Star Man.

0twgxadab0f01.png

NickFire

I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away last night. KL's debut felt a little flat for me. I know its bad for business to have every WWE guy squash their first opponent, but they could have come up with someone better to not squash.

Also time to start giving Wardlow a microphone. His facial reactions are good, but it seems obvious he will be helping Punk beat MJF in a rematch. A little personality before they start feuding after wouldn't hurt. Just knowing what his voice sounds like would be a start.

NickFire

Tony khan better not turn into dixie and hype up every new face as "huge" Keith is cool and all but this was hardly worth the hype imo.
And what was up with the forbidden door nonsense? If they are going to play that angle, shouldn't it be a big name who is NOT known to have been recently fired from WWE????

There's no forbidden door for a free agent.

Dthomp

Tony khan better not turn into dixie and hype up every new face as "huge" Keith is cool and all but this was hardly worth the hype imo.

Disagree fully with this take. Keith Lee is a big deal, the crowd reaction alone proves it. Vince really did a number on his rep and hype. People forget the moment he had with Brock in the rumble, and with Roman at SS because of the awful main roster run. He just needs to get in better shape, all the time off and his health concerns after covid likely made it hard to get in better ring shape.

I'm excited for the future with him.

Hinedorf

Banned
Disagree fully with this take. Keith Lee is a big deal, the crowd reaction alone proves it. Vince really did a number on his rep and hype. People forget the moment he had with Brock in the rumble, and with Roman at SS because of the awful main roster run. He just needs to get in better shape, all the time off and his health concerns after covid likely made it hard to get in better ring shape.

I'm excited for the future with him.
IMO his best feature is his mic work, dude kills it. I thought they put it pretty well on AEW dude is like a Mark Henry 2.0 with far better agility and MIC, he has a lot of potential for whatever they want him to be.

I'm very happy for him for how he was misused in WWE. You promote him to the top brand then change his name a few weeks later to Bearcat and then release him not long after. Nice way of saying we have idea what we're doing, we don't care about your career other than making sure we can maximize on you as much as possible.

You got money for a piece of shit like Goldberg or Rey Mysterio's son but a legit guy who's talented and dedicated to the business you kick to the curb?

dave_d

IMO his best feature is his mic work, dude kills it. I thought they put it pretty well on AEW dude is like a Mark Henry 2.0 with far better agility and MIC, he has a lot of potential for whatever they want him to be.

I'm very happy for him for how he was misused in WWE. You promote him to the top brand then change his name a few weeks later to Bearcat and then release him not long after. Nice way of saying we have idea what we're doing, we don't care about your career other than making sure we can maximize on you as much as possible.

You got money for a piece of shit like Goldberg or Rey Mysterio's son but a legit guy who's talented and dedicated to the business you kick to the curb?
You forgot have him wrestle in a tennis skirt. That couldn't have helped. (Yes, I know it wasn't really a dress but it looked like one.)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
NEVERMIND, I Figured out what I needed to do.

Can anyone draw a large image of Star-Man that I can printout for my sign, for the AEW show this Wednesday?

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away last night. KL's debut felt a little flat for me. I know its bad for business to have every WWE guy squash their first opponent, but they could have come up with someone better to not squash.

Also time to start giving Wardlow a microphone. His facial reactions are good, but it seems obvious he will be helping Punk beat MJF in a rematch. A little personality before they start feuding after wouldn't hurt. Just knowing what his voice sounds like would be a start.
I jsut watched this dynamite and Yeah AEW is Legit, was a good match for KL not a squash match as such. my only worry is he need to be able to go for longer, him vs Kenny I think Keith will be gassed in the first 5 mins

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I jsut watched this dynamite and Yeah AEW is Legit, was a good match for KL not a squash match as such. my only worry is he need to be able to go for longer, him vs Kenny I think Keith will be gassed in the first 5 mins
Keith looks heavier now, so I think he does need to cut some weight.

Top Bottom