• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

MachRc

I cried.

It was awesome to see all the girls back. I was worried due to lack of female talent in wwe right now. But it was way better than expected.

Nikki ASH pouncing on Molly was great too. We cracked up so hard.

I had forgotten I was in love with Alicia fox. But she looked a little off. It's too bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

Bullet Club

I didn't mind the show. Nothing amazing but I wasn't expecting much. I did fast forward through some matches though, Becky/DooDoo & Miz/Maryse/Edge/Beth.

The winners of both Rumbles were predictable but they set up good WM matches, so it's alright.

Kofi finally screwing up was pretty funny.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Someone needs to tell them the whole pointing at the Wrestlemania sign thing is played out and cringy. It's so cringy the damn thing caught on fire twice last night from what I've read.

GreatnessRD

First time I've watched the Rumble in years. I don't watch the product anymore, but keep up with it through Social Media or Cornette. 😆

I really don't understand why WWE dropped the ball on having a title vs. title match at Mania with Brock vs. Reigns. Would've been something different for the current crowd. While I'm not mad Lashley, I think it was a missed opportunity. The two rumbles were 'meh' and the men's didn't pick-up until like the last 10 mins. Sad that everyone knew what the outcome was going to be with Brock winning. The Seth/Reigns fight was pretty good outside the lame ending, lol. I'd give RR a 7/10

Hinedorf

Banned
I would call that the worst Royal Rumble of all time and it's not even close. You have two 30 person competitions that you know are decided the moment a certain name is called. Ronda coming out late, Brock coming out last? What a fucking joke, one of the worst PPV's I've ever seen put on display, furthered nothing for WWE as this story was almost predetermined weeks ago.

Curious if the Kofi spot was a big fuck up, I wish Edge would retire. For me the highest spot of the night for me was Roman ruining the only interesting match I wanted to see. Confirmed my suspicions that I never want to see anybody worthwhile wrestle Brock Lesnar as the match will always turn into a DQ if Brock doesn't win.

Glad I cut my subscription long ago, have no problem finding alternatives to watch without paying, this shit does not deserve $

Dthomp

Jesus Christ, that was one if not the worst PPV show I have seen in watching over 30 years of wrestling. The only match I enjoyed was the one I had the least amount of interest in with Seth/Roman, and the ending ruined an otherwise great match. Those rumbles were awful, and you can just see how much they miss Pat Patterson for setting up and pacing the rumble matches. You can also tell that Johnny Ace is back in the swing of things with an endless parade of untalented "Diva Search" women from his awful era in charge of that division.

The mens rumble was embarrassing for two reasons. 1st is that the second Brock lost you all knew he was winning it without actually being a participant... and 2nd, there was zero star power in the rumble, and NOBODY looked better coming out of it, same can be said for the womans rumble too.

This was a one off purchase of peacock to watch this mess, and I don't see how enough people haven't bitched to NBC about this product that they spent big bucks on being SO bad on their awful app. This was the first and last WWE show I'll watch this year. I don't care about Roman/Brock 75, just with Heyman on the other side this time, and I care just as little about No talent Ronda and Queen Shovel swinger Charlotte. This company either needs Vince to die, or somebody with money to buy them, fire damn near everybody and start over.

Edit- FOrgot, the only fun match was the mixed tag team match. God Maryse was gorgeous, almost made up for 4 hours of my life wasted.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I would call that the worst Royal Rumble of all time and it's not even close. You have two 30 person competitions that you know are decided the moment a certain name is called. Ronda coming out late, Brock coming out last? What a fucking joke, one of the worst PPV's I've ever seen put on display, furthered nothing for WWE as this story was almost predetermined weeks ago.

Curious if the Kofi spot was a big fuck up, I wish Edge would retire. For me the highest spot of the night for me was Roman ruining the only interesting match I wanted to see. Confirmed my suspicions that I never want to see anybody worthwhile wrestle Brock Lesnar as the match will always turn into a DQ if Brock doesn't win.

Glad I cut my subscription long ago, have no problem finding alternatives to watch without paying, this shit does not deserve $

I read that the Kofi spot was a botch, was supposed to hang on and something else was planned (Likely with Big E coming 2 spots later).

You're right on Edge, dude just doesn't have it in the ring anymore. Make him somebody that helps talent like HBK with NXT behind the scenes. He was the least interesting person in a match that also had The Miz, Maryse, and No Charisma Beth Phoenix....my god.

I read that the Kofi spot was a botch, was supposed to hang on and something else was planned (Likely with Big E coming 2 spots later).

You're right on Edge, dude just doesn't have it in the ring anymore. Make him somebody that helps talent like HBK with NXT behind the scenes. He was the least interesting person in a match that also had The Miz, Maryse, and No Charisma Beth Phoenix....my god.
are u taking crazy pills. that was one of the better matches all nite. just as far as entertainment

and damn near all of Edge's return matches were great lol. Are u going to sit with a straight face and say that match with Orton , or the one with Roman or with Daniel Bryan were bad?

Last edited:

hotbrew

Neo Member
I just don’t understand. Roman already passed Punk as the longest modern champion. What are they even gonna do? Run Bork v Reigns ad nauseam?

What even happens when (not ‘if’ scenario here) Roman gets casted as some bullshit super hero in a Marvel/DC movie and leaves Vince for good? There’s NOBODY ready for that position. Funniest part? When it finally happens and they put the title on goddamn Ziggler or something out of desperation and he miserably fails, they’re gonna blame him for ‘getting the ball and not be able to handle it’ even tho they haven’t set up a single person to be THAT guy.

Dthomp

I just don’t understand. Roman already passed Punk as the longest modern champion. What are they even gonna do? Run Bork v Reigns ad nauseam?

What even happens when (not ‘if’ scenario here) Roman gets casted as some bullshit super hero in a Marvel/DC movie and leaves Vince for good? There’s NOBODY ready for that position. Funniest part? When it finally happens and they put the title on goddamn Ziggler or something out of desperation and he miserably fails, they’re gonna blame him for ‘getting the ball and not be able to handle it’ even tho they haven’t set up a single person to be THAT guy.

They've kept Drew on the upper midcard backburner for that exact reason. I was really looking forward to when Drew went to SD and was the obvious face to finally take down Roman, then Vince gotta Vince and watch big dudes be big. Last nights rumble shows that WHEN Roman decides to go to hollywood and move on they are in big trouble. Drew isn't a spring chicken at 36, and has had injury problems over the years, Orton is 41 and likely on his last couple of years. Who is ready to step up after Those three are done? Seth is 35, but I assume him and Becky are likely in the Roman spot of having a kid and how much longer they wanna wrestle and not be there with the kiddo? The young guys have all been jobbed into unfixable roles so that the old guys can come back for the same Hogan nostalgia pop so many of them bitched about him taking away from them. Big E is 35 too, and had one of the worst title reigns in years, so he isn't getting another shot. Not to mention their current Raw Champ Lashley is 45! Fuck...
are u taking crazy pills. that was one of the better matches all nite. just as far as entertainment

and damn near all of Edge's return matches were great lol. Are u going to sit with a straight face and say that match with Orton , or the one with Roman or with Daniel Bryan were bad?
Personal opinion, I found all of his and Ortons matches to be snoozefests, and anybody who has stepped into the ring with Roman over the last 18 months or Bryan ever have had great matches. I'm just seeing an old man playing the hits, but at a much slower pace. He got his big Rumble win (That he didn't deserve) and pop there, the farewell tour should have been done. Like I said earlier, he was the least interesting performer in a match that had THE MIZ in it. Edge had his time where he was entertaining, and it was 10 years ago. Old man gruff beating most people is exactly why the WWE is in the problems that it is these days without the ability to put young guys over the vets.

NickFire

They've kept Drew on the upper midcard backburner for that exact reason. I was really looking forward to when Drew went to SD and was the obvious face to finally take down Roman, then Vince gotta Vince and watch big dudes be big. Last nights rumble shows that WHEN Roman decides to go to hollywood and move on they are in big trouble. Drew isn't a spring chicken at 36, and has had injury problems over the years, Orton is 41 and likely on his last couple of years. Who is ready to step up after Those three are done? Seth is 35, but I assume him and Becky are likely in the Roman spot of having a kid and how much longer they wanna wrestle and not be there with the kiddo? The young guys have all been jobbed into unfixable roles so that the old guys can come back for the same Hogan nostalgia pop so many of them bitched about him taking away from them. Big E is 35 too, and had one of the worst title reigns in years, so he isn't getting another shot. Not to mention their current Raw Champ Lashley is 45! Fuck...

Personal opinion, I found all of his and Ortons matches to be snoozefests, and anybody who has stepped into the ring with Roman over the last 18 months or Bryan ever have had great matches. I'm just seeing an old man playing the hits, but at a much slower pace. He got his big Rumble win (That he didn't deserve) and pop there, the farewell tour should have been done. Like I said earlier, he was the least interesting performer in a match that had THE MIZ in it. Edge had his time where he was entertaining, and it was 10 years ago. Old man gruff beating most people is exactly why the WWE is in the problems that it is these days without the ability to put young guys over the vets.
Even Drew has lost his shine IMHO. At this point he's the guy who used to suck bad who carries a sword he will never use. Shame, but those are the breaks when the company has horrible storylines and thinks the audience will forget all the times their favorites were buried.

dave_d

Jim Cornette has a field day with the Pockets and Cole match.

Man, Jim was on fire in that review. When Cole went to AEW I figured that it was a good idea given how much the WWE messed up so many people who stayed. (Like Lee and Kross) AEW turned Cole into a joke. I just hope they don't make Danhausen a serious competitor. (Jim mentions he's never seen a Danhausen match but the whole premise is that he has no chance in a fight which is part of why it works.)

Hinedorf

Banned
Jim Cornette has a field day with the Pockets and Cole match.

Jim has a real hardon for some of the AEW folks in a bad way and that's his opinion of course. I couldn't disagree more with every assessment he has on Adam Cole. As somebody who did not know him one bit I've watched him come out virtually every single live show and give a great match that's made me respect him and take notice to his talent both mic/wrestling. Never once have I said to myself "boy Adam Coles stomach isn't very muscular" because wtf does that matter if the guy performs great. If Jericho can get over as a smaller top-level guy I don't see why Adam Cole can't.

As for "Pockets" personally I like a bit more comedy to the whole thing. It's a great contrast when you have Cole who takes himself too seriously versus Cassidy doing his brutal leg attacks.....at the end of the day having the crowd go "OOOOOOOOH" is part of keeping them engaged and both do it in their own fantastic way.

Will agree with Jim on the final move, looked like Cole might've been seriously hurt unless he just sold it that well, cool spot but dangerous

Last edited:

Dthomp

Makes sense to me, Kendrick trained with and is friends with Bryan. He’s there to further the Bryan/Mox build, and likely a potential backstage role if anything since most of his wrestling days are behind him.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
AEW needs to be careful. Picking up everyone the wwe lets go gives them a certain look. I'm not sure what Kendrick can add. I've never found him particularly compelling as a character or in the ring.

Looks like Shane booking himself to be a badass in the rumble didn't go over well

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
AEW needs to be careful. Picking up everyone the wwe lets go gives them a certain look. I'm not sure what Kendrick can add. I've never found him particularly compelling as a character or in the ring.

Looks like Shane booking himself to be a badass in the rumble didn't go over well

I'm sorry but there would be NO GREATER HEAT in the history of Wrasslin than hiring Vince's son just to stick him on the competitions TV.

I by no means like Shane, ever want to see him wrestling, ever want to see him period, but as far as heat-getters I'd be front and center to see Shane o Mac smiling on AEW programming

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm sorry but there would be NO GREATER HEAT in the history of Wrasslin than hiring Vince's son just to stick him on the competitions TV.

I by no means like Shane, ever want to see him wrestling, ever want to see him period, but as far as heat-getters I'd be front and center to see Shane o Mac smiling on AEW programming
Oh, I agree on that one. I was talking about Kendrick.

Fox Mulder

Even Drew has lost his shine IMHO. At this point he's the guy who used to suck bad who carries a sword he will never use. Shame, but those are the breaks when the company has horrible storylines and thinks the audience will forget all the times their favorites were buried.

They don’t even do stories to payoff at WM. They just come up with matches they want to do and lazily use the rumble and chamber to move people and belts around shows right before with little buildup.

Last edited:

NickFire

That show was off the charts good. DB courting Mox to be the new NWO is hot stuff. Lambert was brutal on the mic. And main event had me on edge. Right guy won. Love that they aren’t burying top guys with new guys. This is how you get a roster over.

Bullet Club

So Kendrick has been cancelled due to those old shoots he did with London where they were stoned and crapping on about conspiracy theories. And for other shit he said in shoots. The stuff everyone laughed at 10+ years ago.

Bullet Club

So I've looked through Bix's Twitter and he goes more in depth with the stuff Kendrick was into around 2013. It is more fucked up than I thought.

Dthomp

Can we rename Xpac heat to Brandi heat? I never want to watch when she’s on. She’s part of that angry group who bitches about the women not getting chances and here she is getting the celebrity spot, likely leading to a ppv match. I watched dark elevation I think this week and it was Brandi vs. K. king…and Brandi is now officially the worst wrestler I’ve seen since Eva Marie, except Brandi had been in and around wrestling for over a decade. I apologize to Red Velvet, you are no longer the absolute worst female wrestler in AEW…just the second worst.

also, show could have been better, not enough Danhausen.

NickFire

Can we rename Xpac heat to Brandi heat? I never want to watch when she’s on. She’s part of that angry group who bitches about the women not getting chances and here she is getting the celebrity spot, likely leading to a ppv match. I watched dark elevation I think this week and it was Brandi vs. K. king…and Brandi is now officially the worst wrestler I’ve seen since Eva Marie, except Brandi had been in and around wrestling for over a decade. I apologize to Red Velvet, you are no longer the absolute worst female wrestler in AEW…just the second worst.

I didn't know people called it Xpac heat. I always called it go away heat.

Hinedorf

Banned

I think she's stunning, and for the most part does almost everything more entertaining than her husband. It could be the boobs....

Dthomp

I think she's stunning, and for the most part does almost everything more entertaining than her husband. It could be the boobs....

She can definitely be very attractive, but that doesn't make up for the fact that she can't A). Wrestle B.) Talk as a believable character C.) Get any kind of crowd reaction (Outside of Go Away Heat). Being more entertaining then Cody also basically just involves being able to breath and walk at the same time, so not a high bar.

I would say, that if you could take half the effort that Jade, Red Velvet, Allie, Britt or any other woman in that company have put into improving into Brandi, you'd have a superstar there just on looks, smile, and personality away from wrestling that people would gravitate towards. She puts in the Eva Marie levels of work to get better and thinks good looks will get her by. I can't believe anybody was ok with her line about only hiring Page to get closer to Josh Alexander. Page hasn't been booked well enough yet for something like that, and her implying that she has ANY say in hiring is laughable at best. On Codys best day, he's a fraction of as talented all around as Ethan Page.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Brock brings out the best in Reigns, I want to see that rivalry more, how they use Heyman reminds me of any other distraction.

Rousey is a huge driving force for the womens division, #1 headliner, not the best wrestler you see a little bit of the mma ufc.

Top Bottom