• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WV Mayor, local official under fire after racist social media post about Mrs Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

Serious question to GAF members that may have knowledge in this. How the **** are these dumbasses getting into these powerful positions like mayor? Clearly they aren't qualified on a fundemental level, I'm assuming its nepotism?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
These people can't help themselves, but in a way it's a blessing in disguise. At least now you know who's who.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Serious question to GAF members that may have knowledge in this. How the **** are these dumbasses getting into these powerful positions like mayor? Clearly they aren't qualified on a fundemental level, I'm assuming its nepotism?

The same way Trump got elected.

commedieu

Banned
Serious question to GAF members that may have knowledge in this. How the **** are these dumbasses getting into these powerful positions like mayor? Clearly they aren't qualified on a fundamental level, I'm assuming its nepotism?

Remember that time that minorities across the nation complained about institutionalized racism, and systemic problems in the USA, only to be told that they are whining and its not that bad because of an anecdote this one time, you know, disproving all data known to back up the problem?

Thats how. Racists hiring other Racists, supported by racist populations. Because its a severe problem in this country, and others.

This is why 13% of me is happy that Trump and Racism won, now you can see whose who, and who doesn't give a shit even though its a known thing now. No more silly arguments about how its not the case. Just a final admittance of the reality in this country. now, you can see who is, and who isn't and at least do something about it publicly. Via getting the word out, internet shaming, or voting. Where as before, people who would have these feelings would only save it for family parties.

Please don't blame nepotism. You have to understand that there are are huge swaths of Americans with a profound anxiety about the economy. It's perfectly understandable that they continue to vote for people who they think will alleviate their deep seated economic concerns. Until we finally address this we will never be in a position to win the hearts and votes of people like this WV Mayor.

R0ckman

i wish there was a way for scientists to crack open a brain and actually watch the thought processes of these people and how they come to the conclusions and justifications that they do

I can actually explain this, I have been guilty of piss poor excuses when I was a child. Even then I had an awareness of what I was saying at those times as being insanely stupid and was internally embarassed by even saying them. I've come to reflect on them too.

They are probably in that spot where they are acknowledging that they are screwed, do not want the feeling of guilt from being caught and that causes this response for some kind of mercy. It can be dumb and make absolutely no sense but its nothing but a reactionary response not to get into trouble as a consequence of their action.

Wait did this thread get bumped for a totally unconnected incident of have there been more developments in the original case?

necrosis

taylor_11_12_16.jpg

Pamela Ramsay Taylor. Why this lady commenting on anyone's looks though?

lmao

this lady is a fucking abomination, both in body and mind

This is the worst part of it; at the very least own up to it. This feigning ignorance after saying something blatantly racist has been going on for awhile.

Which is fucking weird. You were proud enough of your racist ass "joke" to make it in a place literally everybody in the world can see, but won't own it the second there are consequences?

Bigots are fucking weird.

Which is fucking weird. You were proud enough of your racist ass "joke" to make it in a place literally everybody in the world can see, but won't own it the second there are consequences?

Bigots are fucking weird.

because they want to have their cake and eat it too. They know what they are saying is hurtful and vile but they don't want anyone to think badly of them. they want to be able
to put down and repress minorities without consequences.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well most mayors aren't powerful positions and local politics tend to skew Republican. If you have the connections to the local governing group, you'll likely run unopposed in most elections.

Also it's West Virginia.

Nephtis

Y'know, the government should remove any and all motherfuckers making racist comments and / or jokes immediately. Like, just show the evidence of said racist remark and bam, gone.

Another update:

The University of Colorado’s School of Medicine is planning to cut ties with Dr. Michelle Herren, a faculty member and pediatric anesthesiologist, who made a racist remark on Facebook.

“We are beginning the process to terminate Dr. Herren’s faculty appointment,” Mark Couch, spokesman for the school, said Thursday. “She has expressed values that are at odds with ours and she has compromised her ability to meet the teaching and patient care mission of the School of Medicine.”
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/01/denver-health-doctor-racist-facebook-comments/
She was a higher up, so the bureaucracy was probably slower to react. Im sure once they realised the implications of keeping someone like that on staff, they decided to cut her loose.

Dram

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/doctor-resigns-from-denver-health-after-racist-post
An anesthesiologist accused of posting a racially-charged comment on Facebook resigned from Denver Health Friday.

Denver Health says that Dr. Michelle Herren and the hospital “mutually agreed” to voluntarily part ways. Dr. Herren worked as a pediatric anesthesiologist for 10 years at the hospital.

The post that caused Dr. Herren to resign from the hospital was made public after a Denver7 story Monday. The Facebook post shows a picture of a yelling Michelle Obama with Dr. Herren commenting, “doesn't seem to be speaking too eloquently here, thank god we can't hear her! Harvard??? That's a place for "entitled" folks said all the liberals!” Dr. Herren goes onto comment, "Monkey face and poor ebonic English!!! There! I feel better and am still not racist!!! Just calling it like it is!"

Dr. Herren told Denver 7's Molly Hendrickson over the phone that her comment was taken "out of context" and insists she didn't realize the term “monkey face” is offensive. Herren said she was responding to another post pointing out people say whatever they want about Melania Trump, but if they do the same about Michelle Obama they're considered racist.

Before Friday's announcement, the hospital told Denver7 Tuesday that it couldn't control the opinions their staff expressed as private individuals. On Thursday, the hospital said Dr. Herren was not seeing any patients. She resigned Friday. Her salary at the publicly-funded hospital was $363,600.

Now really break this down: Her hatred of Black people was stronger than her desire to maintain a 365k per year salary.

Chew that shit down to the bone, folks. Really think about it. Cause it shows how disgusting racism is. And I'm sure this woman would swear up and down she was a good person.

Dr. Herren told Denver 7's Molly Hendrickson over the phone that her comment was taken "out of context" and insists she didn't realize the term “monkey face” is offensive.

That shit is straight out of the Clerks 2 porch monkey bit.

taoofjord

Now really break this down: Her hatred of Black people was stronger than her desire to maintain a 365k per year salary.

Chew that shit down to the bone, folks. Really think about it. Cause it shows how disgusting racism is. And I'm sure this woman would swear up and down she was a good person.

Nah, you've got it wrong. She didn't think what she said would come back to her like that. She lives in a bubble with other openly racist people and forgot, like many people do, how quickly something can spread on the internet. If she really felt the way you said she wouldn't try to backtrack so hard.

Pretty sure this is fake and someone just using it as a mouthpiece for the alt-white-supremacists. Assholes like her are bold martyrs to them.

Ah thanks for mentioning that, I'll remove the post. The last thing I want to do post something that's fake.

Nah, you've got it wrong. She didn't think what she said would come back to her. She lives in a bubble with other openly racist people and forgot, like many people do, how quickly something can spread on the internet. If she really felt the way you did she wouldn't try to backtrack so hard.

I don't make nowhere near as much money as her and I think every fucking time I post shit on social media. I make sure I don't let my feed get "too Black" cause I can't afford to get called into HR. That privilege must be nice.

R0ckman

Says more about the system, she surely has a safety net and knows it.

People pretend like these people get pushed to Trump and blame people for calling them out. We know that is total BS but the more accurate truth is, these people were always racist but were not in poisitions that they felt could protect them. Trump was basically a safe house for them that also gave them impression that its okay and acceptable.

Basically if a human is called a thief, knows they are a thief but fears judgement and someone comes a long and says that its okay, why would these people not flock to the person the will nurture that? It has nothing to do with the people calling them out. Its the same as if one of these guys gets banned from a forum for saying something dumb and finding a place that allows them to say it.

These idiots don't realize that the internet is their worst nightmare. They didnt have the interney back when they could openly do this.

fester

Banned

Showing solidarity with her economically concerned brothers and sisters?

RPGCrazied

How do you rehire someone after those kind of comments? Makes your office not look so good. And I hope the backlash is swift. This is unacceptable.

Aselith

Yeek, She's a God damn Orangutan!

Fake edit: I was wrong to insult Orangutans with that comparison to the nasty racist bitch, and I apologize to my fellow great apes.

So that's what it looks like when you put lipstick on a pig.

803bb03d0948687903d839d6828472e479ba6234.gif

How do you rehire someone after those kind of comments? Makes your office not look so good. And I hope the backlash is swift. This is unacceptable.

Considering what they do, I don't think it matters to them how they look unless they are going to lose their funding. :( The people they serve need them so they can't really boycott or anything. Hopefully the state puts pressure on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom