• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

West Virginia Official Who Called Michelle Obama ‘Ape In Heels’ Gets Her Job Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

The director of a state and federal-funded nonprofit in West Virginia will return to work after she was temporarily removed from her job for calling first lady Michelle Obama an “ape in heels,” the Charleston Gazette-Mail reported.

Taylor and Whaling apologized after the backlash. According to local news station WSAZ, Taylor said her comment “may be interpreted as racist but was in no way intended to be.”

Clay County Development Corp. removed Taylor from her position at the time, but announced on Saturday that she would be returning to her job on Dec. 23, according to a letter obtained by the Charleston Gazette-Mail from the organization’s acting director, Leslie McGlothin, to the West Virginia Bureau of Senior Services.

“The state bureau’s commissioner, Robert Roswall, has warned the Clay agency that any discrimination from staff would jeopardize their state and federal funding,” the Charleston Gazette-Mail reported, adding that the organization, which provides services to the elderly, received $1.5 million in federal funding and $363,000 in state funding in 2014.

A petition calling for Taylor’s termination received over 196,000 signatures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/west-virginia-racism-michelle-obama_us_584e1a3be4b0e05aded46e05

Miles X

" “may be interpreted as racist but was in no way intended to be.” "

What the hell did she really mean then?

It's got to the point you can say whatever you like and just say it isn't _______.

As someone who lives in the backwoods part of Southern Ohio, the only thing that makes me feel good about where I live that Kentucky and West Virginia are just a few miles away to show me how much worse it could be.

gcubed

Just another case of political correctness run amok, glad we can make america great again and get these smart folks back to work

Altairre

“may be interpreted as racist but was in no way intended to be.”

You know, the least she could do is own up to it but I guess even that would be too much to ask. What a farce.

Nikodemos

Soon all these economically anxious people will be able to once again say 'nigger', 'faggot', 'chink' etc. in public without fear of reprisal from the rabid liberals.

In rural areas as long as you don't use the N word the locals will not consider you to be a racist. Racist attitudes are so normalized in these areas that they consider it "telling it like it is"

That's my experience with Twitter. Anything less than a full blown ethnic slur is cast aside. It's how so many 'rationalize' Trump not being racist.

Pickman

Really worth reading the Charleston Gazette-Mail article on this to get it right from the local source.

Article here @ Charleston Gazette-Mail

Not only is she a racist piece of shit, she's also unqualified and probably giving bonuses to friends she hired on who are also unqualified. All from a non-profit's coffers. Doesn't take much to read between the lines here. Great use of public records requests by the paper.

In 2009, Clay Development listed the job requirements for the executive director position. The director was supposed to have, at minimum, a bachelor's degree with 10 years' experience.

Taylor said in a 2008 deposition that she attended Clay County High School and had no college education. Prior to joining the Clay Development staff in 1989, she was a cosmetologist.

Brenda Baird, who worked for Clay Development as a bookkeeper from 2000 to 2007, sued after she was fired. In her lawsuit, Baird said she found discrepancies on tax forms produced by Taylor, then a new employee. She said she was told not to question Taylor's work and got a written reprimand after arguing with another employee about it.

Later in 2007, Baird said, she told a CCDC board member about employees getting raises that were double the standard amount, and some employees getting bonus checks. The board member told Taylor, who then accused Baird of “trying to get her fired,” according to Baird's lawsuit.

By the end of the month, Baird was fired for “gross misconduct and insubordination.” She had not been formally disciplined for insubordination since 2002, according to her lawsuit.

tbm24

I'd have more respect for these people if they at least acknowledged what they said was racist. Denying it is always the worse option.

Viewt

Every time I forget that it exists, West Virginia finds a way to remind me that it's a complete and utter shithole.

“may be interpreted as racist but was in no way intended to be.”

Seems to be missing the rest of the sentence where she explains how we are supposed to interpret this comment.

What a fucking bastard, and what a failure of the system when she can get away with this and endure no punishment.

I can't come up with a quip or half joke or even a way to insult this. It's so far out of reality.

Who have her the job back? Republicans?

Even if it wasn't racist, that... really doesn't make it okay at all, for a person in her position?

I mean, as much as I hate to admit it, for the next four years people in charge of government-funded programs are going to be expected not to call Donald Trump a shriveled testicle covered in Cheetoh dust. That sucks, but it's one of the responsibilities of that position.

Find someone who can behave to handle a job where statements are a matter of public record and could be damaging to the program. There are plenty of minimum wage jobs this woman could do where she can have lots of spicy opinions about who does and doesn't look like an ape without anyone caring.

The Kree

Banned
She's ugly, fat, and thinks nude model speech plagiarist Melania Trump is somehow classier than Harvard/Princeton graduate First Lady Michelle Obama.

This kind of stupidity can't be defeated. You can't outsmart people who aren't thinking to begin with. Zero self-awareness.

She's ugly, fat, and thinks nude model speech plagiarist Melania Trump is somehow classier than Harvard/Princeton graduate First Lady Michelle Obama.

This kind of stupidity can't be defeated. You can't outsmart people who aren't thinking to begin with. Zero self-awareness.
Cause that shit is passed down along with the racism.

And I might have said to people that she's a stupid cow who really shouldn't be allowed in office. It's OK though, it's in no way meant to be interpreted as offensive.

This is supposed to be sarcasm, just in case.

Seriously. After we defeated the South in Civil War we should have let them exist as their own different country on the threat that if they try to revive slavery we will invade their ass.

The South is not some mythical place. It's not a war zone where you can't go. A lot of people, such as myself, grew up there and are decent folks. Just like everywhere else.

Need I remind you that the current president-elect is from blue NY, not some imaginary southern city you scoff at.

The South is not some mythical place. It's not a war zone where you can't go. A lot of people, such as myself, grew up there and are decent folks. Just like everywhere else.

Need I remind you that the current president-elect is from blue NY, not some imaginary southern city you scoff at.
Ny is only blue cause of NYC. But your main point being it ain't just "The South" is true but the south is much more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom