• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

ship it

Weaton,MD Best Buy has 8 elite controllers. I had to tell them about the halo 5 deal but it all worked out.

Just in case anyone local was looking for one.

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, can anyone advise?

My Elite Controller's Left stick is a bit faulty.

When I do a full 360 I hear a click and it is driving me nuts.

Should I get a replacement?

Max_Po

Banned
Yes, it is really bothering me as I have an XboxOne Elite Console and the controller was perfect.... now I am regretting returning it.

Vitacat

Wait wait wait wait. How does this magic work?!

http://cronusmax.com/

BestBuy has them in stores.

The CronusMax can convert all sorts of controls to all sorts of systems, but with newer systems requires to first plug in an original controller at boot to authenticate, then the converted controller takes over, and the system still thinks the inputs are coming from the original controller. It's weird at first to wrap your head around but works great.

Another option are the Brook converters, which only do one type of conversion per converter, but don't need authentication from an original controller. Not sure how they do it, must've cracked the authentication codes. Potentially illegal? Not sure, but if so may never see them in BestBuy.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/product/

I got an Elite Controller for Xmas. I love it. But I game on PC and haven't really found a use for the paddles in non-fps's (i don't play fps's with gamepads). You guys have any suggestions for where the paddles could come in handy?

Baleoce

I got an Elite Controller for Xmas. I love it. But I game on PC and haven't really found a use for the paddles in non-fps's (i don't play fps's with gamepads). You guys have any suggestions for where the paddles could come in handy?

Can they be remapped to other buttons not on the controller?

Can they be remapped to other buttons not on the controller?

No :(, not without something like Xpadder anyways. I'd rather not run more junk in the background though, I'm pretty minimalist.

I'd love to be able to bind one of the paddles to my push-to-talk keybind.

Ecto311

I don't know and the extra paddles was a big reason I wanted this thing. But they are always being pressed when I set it down and making moves/choices on the xbox when I don't want it to. I might even return it because of that. The controller feels really solid but also kinda sloppy with this kind of stuff. Plus it makes it hard to just hold in the hand when you are playing since you can't hold it solidly without pressing something. I have yet to try it on PC though.

Baleoce

I don't know and the extra paddles was a big reason I wanted this thing. *But they are always being pressed when I set it down and making moves/choices on the xbox when I don't want it to.* I might even return it because of that. The controller feels really solid but also kinda sloppy with this kind of stuff. *Plus it makes it hard to just hold in the hand when you are playing since you can't hold it solidly without pressing something.* I have yet to try it on PC though.

This is my biggest worry with regards to this controller. If this is a common issue then it might put me off of getting one.

Ade

Double tap sync disables the paddles until you do it again if you need to.

Oddly mine doesn't press anything when I put it down tho.

This is my biggest worry with regards to this controller. If this is a common issue then it might put me off of getting one.

You adjust, it definitely isn't worse than the DS4......man every damn time I put it down I would fire a bullet in Bloodborne, also nearly took out the Plain Doll plenty of times.

Ecto311

You just get used to it.

How do you get used to just pressing random buttons? If I set it on any uneven surface like the couch or arm rest it just starts going nuts on the xbox. Grabbing the controller from putting it down also does this since you can't just grip it you have to pinch the middle or sides. I might try this double tap though to see if it disables the buttons. I wish there was a button on the front or switch that I could stop the back paddles from being pressed.

Pepiope

I don't know and the extra paddles was a big reason I wanted this thing. But they are always being pressed when I set it down and making moves/choices on the xbox when I don't want it to. I might even return it because of that. The controller feels really solid but also kinda sloppy with this kind of stuff. Plus it makes it hard to just hold in the hand when you are playing since you can't hold it solidly without pressing something. I have yet to try it on PC though.
I haven't had this problem at all with the controller. Granted I don't grip the controller with a bunch of force, but I put my hand right on top of the paddles, and I never press them accidentally.

I don't know and the extra paddles was a big reason I wanted this thing. But they are always being pressed when I set it down and making moves/choices on the xbox when I don't want it to. I might even return it because of that.

It's a common issue that nobody knows how to use the built-in feature to disable the paddles :p

Double-tap the sync button to enable/disable the paddles to prevent mis-clicking. But I can see how you would still want to sometimes set it down without disabling the paddles first, I can get past it I think.

The CronusMax can convert all sorts of controls to all sorts of systems, but with newer systems requires to first plug in an original controller at boot to authenticate, then the converted controller takes over, and the system still thinks the inputs are coming from the original controller. It's weird at first to wrap your head around but works great.

Another option are the Brook converters, which only do one type of conversion per converter, but don't need authentication from an original controller. Not sure how they do it, must've cracked the authentication codes. Potentially illegal? Not sure, but if so may never see them in BestBuy.

According to their rep they're a subsidiary of ZeroPlus, which has the license to produce controller boards and other accessories in Taiwan. It's funny you bring this up, though, considering the stories told behind the CronusMax.

ship it

It's a common issue that nobody knows how to use the built-in feature to disable the paddles :p

Double-tap the sync button to enable/disable the paddles to prevent mis-clicking. But I can see how you would still want to sometimes set it down without disabling the paddles first, I can get past it I think.

First thing I did.

I guess I'll add my impressions since I was skeptical based on the price. I picked up the controller with the Halo 5 free deal, so keep in mind I probably wouldn't have rationalized spending the full price on the controller otherwise.

Pros:
-Feels really solid. My day 1 xbox controller felt "loose and squeezy". Elite feels solid as a rock
-Rubber grips don't feel awkward or cheap
-Shoulder buttons are way better
-Triggers feel real nice. the option to shorten the distance to pull the trigger is cool, but it feels less "solid"
-the paddles are a cool idea, but I like that you can totally turn them off or remove them
-the disc pad is actually pretty impressive. I want to try it on a fighting game just to see how it feels.
-I really like the replacement PS style thumb sticks. It might replace my ps4 controller now
-surprisingly the cable was really solid as well and fits into the controller much sturdier than my day 1 controller

cons:
-price

overall I'm actually impressed with the controller and definitely see it becoming the go to if I can get used to all the features.

BraXzy

Been using it for a little while now, boy does this feel so good in your hands. Getting more and more used to the paddles too. Short ones at the top is working best for me, so handy how cusomizable it is.

Literally its only con is the price. But IMO I think it's worth it if you game a lot. You're using it every second you play games.

Darknight

Leaning towards CronusMax+. The Brook may do the same thing at $44 but if you want to use it on other devices, you have to buy separate ones. Seems like they want to milk you. I'd rather buy one that can be used on all/most systems.

Do you guys think they'll be able to get CronusMax+ working with the Elite wireless dongle? If it happens, you guys think it will be a new revision instead of a FW update?

Neil_J_UK

Sooo I'm sure I read about this a few weeks ago on here but just thought I'd check. Every so often when I move my right analogue stick from 0 to 90 degrees, there's an audible click. It's not there all the time but it comes back every so often. I've not had chance to use my pad much so I'm not sure if this is something that will go away or is it a defective unit?

Sooo I'm sure I read about this a few weeks ago on here but just thought I'd check. Every so often when I move my right analogue stick from 0 to 90 degrees, there's an audible click. It's not there all the time but it comes back every so often. I've not had chance to use my pad much so I'm not sure if this is something that will go away or is it a defective unit?

My left stick does that. Also when I do a 360 degree rotation. Meh. Doesn't bother me, just strange.

That said, it doesn't happen 90% of the time when I have the shortest thumb stick attached. Maybe it has to do with thumb pressure and range of motion?

Unstable

Leaning towards CronusMax+. The Brook may do the same thing at $44 but if you want to use it on other devices, you have to buy separate ones. Seems like they want to milk you. I'd rather buy one that can be used on all/most systems.

Do you guys think they'll be able to get CronusMax+ working with the Elite wireless dongle? If it happens, you guys think it will be a new revision instead of a FW update?
I currently run that exact setup. You need a PC fairly close to your PS4. Cronus connects to your PC via mini-USB, then plug your DS4 into the Cronus for auth, connect your Elite to your PC via the wireless dongle, finally run the Cronus Pro "Max Input" plugin with PS4 mode on.

Fairly heavy setup but it works perfectly fine once you do. Only issue I ran into is if your Xbox controller disconnects you break the authentication chain, requiring you to unplug everything and reconnect it.

Awakened

My left stick does that. Also when I do a 360 degree rotation. Meh. Doesn't bother me, just strange.

That said, it doesn't happen 90% of the time when I have the shortest thumb stick attached. Maybe it has to do with thumb pressure and range of motion?
My left stick does this if I put too much force on it when I hit the outer ring. If I'm gentle with it, only using enough force to hit the edge, it's fine. But sometimes it's hard to be gentle if I'm, say, flying a jet in Just Cause 3 and trying to pull up fast :p

Anyone running into problems with certain games on Windows 10?

On some games it's acting as though the left stick is pressed to the left and that the right trigger acts as though the left stick is pressed right. It only happens on certain games and from what I've read, it only happens on Windows 10. I was hoping someone maybe had a workaround.

ship it

Anyone running into problems with certain games on Windows 10?

On some games it's acting as though the left stick is pressed to the left and that the right trigger acts as though the left stick is pressed right. It only happens on certain games and from what I've read, it only happens on Windows 10. I was hoping someone maybe had a workaround.

which certain games? I have had no problems so far.

I can't wait to see what kind of plug n' play mods people start making for this thing. It's been a while since we've seen 1st party accessories compete with 3rd party like Scuf and Razer.

Baleoce

That's good that you can disable the paddles, I'd definitely try and get used to doing that early on. What about the paddles affecting the grip you have on the controller when you want them active, is that a subjective thing, or do you notice it as well?

Moa

Left bumper on my Elite just broke (hasn't been dropped or anything).

Contacted Amazon - they can't replace because they're out of stock. Having to get a refund and pray I can find one somewhere.

Left bumper on my Elite just broke (hasn't been dropped or anything).

Contacted Amazon - they can't replace because they're out of stock. Having to get a refund and pray I can find one somewhere.

Sorry to hear that

Was it bad from the get-go? Or did it just happen all of a sudden?

Bubba77

I have been using my elite controller on xb1 and love it. I just ordered the windows 10 adapter so I can use it on PC. My PC and xb1 are about 10 feet from eachother. Can I have them synced up to both xb1 and PC without causing issues? I dont want to hit the button and have my xb1 turn on when im playing pc game....

FX-GMC

I have been using my elite controller on xb1 and love it. I just ordered the windows 10 adapter so I can use it on PC. My PC and xb1 are about 10 feet from eachother. Can I have them synced up to both xb1 and PC without causing issues? I dont want to hit the button and have my xb1 turn on when im playing pc game....

The controller will only sync to one device at a time. unsync it from the Xbox first if you don't want it turning on

Top Bottom