• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Jaybe

I've heard good things and its definitely on my backlog.

TBH I'm not really sure what kind of game it is right now, whether it's an action game or more of a visual novel style.

But the Nextlander crew were praising it a lot, so I'm intrigued.
Nextlander? I’ll have to check that out.
Steam reviews for citizen sleeper are 95% positive (though limited). It’s just one of those games that I suspect is Made with mouse inout in mind. Sometimes those translate well to controller, occassIonally not.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone try Citizen Sleeper yet? Curious how it handles on Xbox and it’s difficulty.
It's great. Stick with it until it makes sense. I loved it, and couldn't put it down.

Very cool story, writing. OST is subtle, but great. I left the game on more than once to just listen. Great art.

The gameplay is very original and addicting when you finally grasp it. It's like a tabletop roleplaying game with choices. And your turns are represented by dice. And there's like 5 layers of systems built on top of it, and it's just so elegant and works so well. You get into a rhythm of just wanting to do one more day, and then you play for a few hours without noticing.

It's so good I bought the first game from this team also. Was on Switch for like $6 on sale.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've heard good things and its definitely on my backlog.

TBH I'm not really sure what kind of game it is right now, whether it's an action game or more of a visual novel style.

But the Nextlander crew were praising it a lot, so I'm intrigued.
It is definitely not an action game. It's like a table top roleplaying game combined with a visual novel combined with a football manager sim.

Jaybe

All right. After playing through the Mass Effect trilogy, I’m looking for a palate cleanser, something fun, short, not challenging either… here’s the list I’m deciding between. Let me know your thoughts or if there’s anything I’ve missed. Paging Punished Miku Punished Miku you play everything and have good opinions, what say you?
  • Citizen Sleeper
  • Bugsnax
  • FAR Changing Tides
  • Spiritfarer
  • Trek to Yomi

Last edited:

Jaybe

fQNkDVE.jpg

We got a date.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All right. After playing through the Mass Effect trilogy, I’m looking for a palate cleanser, something fun, short, not challenging either… here’s the list I’m deciding between. Let me know your thoughts or if there’s anything I’ve missed. Paging Punished Miku Punished Miku you play everything and have good opinions, what say you?
  • Citizen Sleeper
  • Bugsnax
  • FAR Changing Tides
  • Spiritfarer
  • Trek to Yomi
Haha, I really do play too many games lol.

• Citizen Sleeper - among the best games I've played all year. But it's hard to confidently recommend to people because it's very unusual and unique. I could see most people not liking it, but those that stick with it and figure out the game's pace and systems will love it I think. It's a cross between a tabletop RPG, a visual novel, and a management sim. Most of what you're doing is reading text with little gameplay. But you have to make choices constantly and manage your resources and the system they've devised for it is so elegant and fun, that once I got the hang of it I couldn't put the game down. I beat it, and think the writing and art work was phenomenal. The music is subtle, but fantastic as well. I found myself leaving the game on just to listen. Highly recommended for not just playing it, but challenging yourself to play it even if it doesn't click immediately - because it's weird!
  • Bugsnax - it's a well made first person collectathon game, but your interest in it will just depend on if you like the humor or the art. I'm not a huge fan of it so I just moved on to other games. But what I played seemed fine honestly. You set up traps and catch Bugs, and collect them in a journal, and there's NPCs and a story surrounding the area that you uncover. A chill game of exploration and collecting.
  • FAR changing tides - I've heard good things. Haven't played this or the 1st one yet. Supposed to be good though. 2D platforming, managing a ship, exploring. Sounds unique.
  • Spiritfarer - I only played a little bit recently. Visually it's amazing. You're basically playing a full fledged cartoon, and it looks great. The rest is kind of bland, but not bad. It's clearly going for a non-violent gameplay approach, as you can hug NPCs. You basically just move your boat around a map and meet NPCs, collect items and complete side quests so you can help people pass to the other side after death. The kind of game that would appeal to people who enjoy clickers, or farming games. You build different rooms and things on your boat, including a garden, a kitchen, etc. You collect items and craft simple items for quests. You give NPCs food they like to increase your bond. Kind of like a 2D Animal Crossing, but more quests.
  • Trek to Yomi - Visual masterpiece. Worth it for anyone to play through on Gamepass just to see it. Unfortunately the gameplay is not great. Play it on easy or normal, and just enjoy the visuals. Flawed, but lots there well worth seeing.

reksveks

Citizen Sleeper - among the best games I've played all year. But it's hard to confidently recommend to people because it's very unusual and unique. I could see most people not liking it, but those that stick with it and figure out the game's pace and systems will love it I think. It's a cross between a tabletop RPG, a visual novel, and a management sim. Most of what you're doing is reading text with little gameplay. But you have to make choices constantly and manage your resources and the system they've devised for it is so elegant and fun, that once I got the hang of it I couldn't put the game down. I beat it, and think the writing and art work was phenomenal. The music is subtle, but fantastic as well. I found myself leaving the game on just to listen. Highly recommended for not just playing it, but challenging yourself to play it even if it doesn't click immediately - because it's weird!
Yeah, I just keep wanted to go back to it after work. Its very engrossing.

Jaybe

Haha, I really do play too many games lol.

• Citizen Sleeper - among the best games I've played all year. But it's hard to confidently recommend to people because it's very unusual and unique. I could see most people not liking it, but those that stick with it and figure out the game's pace and systems will love it I think. It's a cross between a tabletop RPG, a visual novel, and a management sim. Most of what you're doing is reading text with little gameplay. But you have to make choices constantly and manage your resources and the system they've devised for it is so elegant and fun, that once I got the hang of it I couldn't put the game down. I beat it, and think the writing and art work was phenomenal. The music is subtle, but fantastic as well. I found myself leaving the game on just to listen. Highly recommended for not just playing it, but challenging yourself to play it even if it doesn't click immediately - because it's weird!
  • Bugsnax - it's a well made first person collectathon game, but your interest in it will just depend on if you like the humor or the art. I'm not a huge fan of it so I just moved on to other games. But what I played seemed fine honestly. You set up traps and catch Bugs, and collect them in a journal, and there's NPCs and a story surrounding the area that you uncover. A chill game of exploration and collecting.
  • FAR changing tides - I've heard good things. Haven't played this or the 1st one yet. Supposed to be good though. 2D platforming, managing a ship, exploring. Sounds unique.
  • Spiritfarer - I only played a little bit recently. Visually it's amazing. You're basically playing a full fledged cartoon, and it looks great. The rest is kind of bland, but not bad. It's clearly going for a non-violent gameplay approach, as you can hug NPCs. You basically just move your boat around a map and meet NPCs, collect items and complete side quests so you can help people pass to the other side after death. The kind of game that would appeal to people who enjoy clickers, or farming games. You build different rooms and things on your boat, including a garden, a kitchen, etc. You collect items and craft simple items for quests. You give NPCs food they like to increase your bond. Kind of like a 2D Animal Crossing, but more quests.
  • Trek to Yomi - Visual masterpiece. Worth it for anyone to play through on Gamepass just to see it. Unfortunately the gameplay is not great. Play it on easy or normal, and just enjoy the visuals. Flawed, but lots there well worth seeing.
Thank you very much! Citizen Sleeper it is with Trek to Yomi as next on deck. At least knowing that there is payoff to sticking with Citizen Sleeper will help me invest in learning/understanding the mechanics. Both these games seem to bring something special to the medium. Looking forward to them.

amigastar

Is Hardspace: Shipbreaker on PC game pass? Game seems to be good.
Edit: yes it's on PC game pass

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pac Man Museum has a ton of PM games I didnt even know existed. Pac Man battle is on there. That's been a huge hit at our local arcade bar for a while with 4 player versus.

kingfey

Banned
Since we are not allowed to create a gamepass thread, I want to post my frustration here.

Today showed, that people dont like to use logic, because it doesnt match the vision they have. To them gamepass is the baddie, who would hurt gaming.

I have question for these people.

Is gamepass on PlayStation? Is gamepass on Steam? Is gamepass on Nintendo devices? Does gamepass have 100% of Xbox users?
Please tell me, how does gamepass hurts gaming, when it doesn't even exist on these platforms, or even have 100% of Xbox users? From logical standpoint, it doesn't even make a sense at all.

Same thing for the analysts, who are spouting these craps. Spotify is on every fucking phone, laptop and PC as an app or website.
Gamepass on other hand is on PC. Plus streaming on other devices. On PC, its only on dedicated app, or through a browser. It doesn't even have the same pull as Spotify, unless everyone accepts streaming, or windows store for PC guys.

Steam and PS has combined off 230m monthly userbase, compared to almost 50m-60m (Estimate of 55m consoles) of Xbox users. Gamepass right now is 25m userbase. Its not even 40% for Xbox. So how the hell would it hurt game sales, if those other 2 platforms exist?

Is it me, or do people stop using logic when it comes to gamepass? Xbox at max this gen would hit 80m-90m console wise, if they don't mess up. The other platforms would also grow bigger. So how can gamepass harm the industry?

bender

What time is it?
Since we are not allowed to create a gamepass thread, I want to post my frustration here.

Today showed, that people dont like to use logic, because it doesnt match the vision they have. To them gamepass is the baddie, who would hurt gaming.

Is gamepass on PlayStation? Is gamepass on Steam? Is gamepass on Nintendo devices? Does gamepass have 100% of Xbox users?
Please tell me, how does gamepass hurts gaming, when it doesn't even exist on these platforms, or even have 100% of Xbox users? From logical standpoint, it doesn't even make a sense at all.

Same thing for the analysts, who are spouting these craps. Spotify is on every fucking phone, laptop and PC as an app or website.
Gamepass on other hand is on PC. Plus streaming on other devices. On PC, its only on dedicated app, or through a browser. It doesn't even have the same pull as Spotify, unless everyone accepts streaming, or windows store for PC guys.

Steam and PS has combined off 230m monthly userbase, compared to almost 50m-60m (Estimate of 55m consoles) of Xbox users. Gamepass right now is 25m userbase. Its not even 40% for Xbox. So how the hell would it hurt game sales, if those other 2 platforms exist?

Is it me, or do people stop using logic when it comes to gamepass? Xbox at max this gen would hit 80m-90m console wise, if they don't mess up. The other platforms would also grow bigger. So how can gamepass harm the industry?

I'm a Game Pass user for almost three years now. I like the service so I don't really have a dog in the hunt. GP has been a haven for Indie games for me and I rarely purchase them now as most of them end up on the service, if not day one. It has altered my purchasing habits. On the flip side, the only game I've purchased because of Game Pass is Descenders (on Steam this past weekend in fact). Does that mean anything? No idea. Publishers and developers seem happy so far. I'm probably not the ideal end user anyway as I don't really subscribe to anything outside of Xbox, PSN and Nintendo Online. I also wouldn't maintain those subscriptions without bargains (save for Nintendo which is inexpensive in the first place). For GPU specifically, I think it makes a lot more sense to subscribe a few months a year and play catchup rather than maintain a $14.99 a month sub, but the $1 upgrade was a good bargain and Microsoft Rewards let's me get GPU for "free".

I think there is some reasonable fears should subscription services become the norm in the type of games that bigger publishers focus on (GaaS) but the industry has been moving that direction anyway.

Chukhopops

The truth is all this concern was bullshit from the beginning and that’s why many who were opposed to any subscription service suddenly liked the concept when a competitor stepped up.

GP is exactly five years old today. Think of all the things that were supposed to happen because of GP and whether they happened, five years later.

- Games having more episodic content or DLC: there’s a grand total of one episodic first party game released so far (Tell me why), one in early access (Grounded) and none of the first party games released have even been criticized for aggressive monetization;

- It will kill revenue because people will no longer buy games: MS gaming revenue has literally doubled between the GP launch and today. Even if people buy fewer games overall because of GP (which I doubt but cannot prove), this is still compensated in the overall revenue;

- MS will raise the price of the subscription: still hasn’t happened 5 years later even though everything else increased in price. We are still at the 9.99 launch price announced;

- MS will make exclusive GP content to force people into it and it will no longer be possible to buy games: again, still hasn’t happened and today is actually GP’s fifth birthday.

You see? Literally none of it happened, and none of it will. The market isn’t a zero sum game where only one brand can win and only one business model exists.

Now some people will always be opposed to subscriptions and that’s fine, it’s their choice. In the end they pay more and they subsidize my hobby so I’m ok with their opinions.

b0uncyfr0

Do we have a thread for Family sharing? I have ultimate and would like to share with someone who has games not on Gamepass..

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection is available now on Xbox and PC Game Pass. The collection features Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razorz Edge. Check out the trailer.

Helghan

I would've created a thread for this, might have sparked some proper discussions. Now it's in the graveyard with xbox and gamepass topic.

Vognerful

I have to be honest, I don't feel like neoGAF is a net positive for me. In fact, I would say that most people who try to engage in discussion here are all having the same experience. I always regret responding to someone here because it feels like talking to wall. The will have no problem at all accepting Sony whatever alternative as long as it beats xbox in numbers (quality doesn't matter, winning is important!!!).

I also feel like the mods for some reason have a very weird way of applying their ban hammer. I stand by saying your ban is unjustified and that they let other people get away with so much more because they had been here for a long time. Have you seen the ban of ArtHands ArtHands ? that thread was considered baiting!

https://www.neogaf.com/posts/266238597/

Also, the moment mods decide to put this thread her, it became like a graveyard. Most new users don't know it exists.

teezzy

Banned
I have little qualms giving MS 15 a month for what Gamepass provides, and I still buy digital games on top of it. Too many, in fact

Heck what does it cost for just Xbox live now? Why not get gamepass? 15 a month is worth it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean you don't even need to do $15 a month. You can do $60+1 a year with the Gold conversion.

But, yeah, regardless of that $15 a month is still a decent price for the value for anyone who chooses to go that route. You're getting Game Pass for both console and PC, Live Gold and EA Play all inclusive. That's less than $5 per each of the four services.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Kinda interesting thread on the Riot deal

I think people are underestimating the impact of this deal, the value is just ridiculous if you’re even a little bit interested in Riot games.

If you don’t have an existing LoL / Wild Rift account it will take a long time (or quite a bit of money) to unlock all characters, same with Valorant. The other parts are a bit less useful but I could see this bringing quite a few people to PC GP.

I was shocked by the announcement because Riot is a direct competitor of Blizzard in the mobile space, I would have been less surprised with some Hearthstone benefits or their recently launched Clash of Clans clone.

Or maybe they also intend to add some King / Blizzard mobile games stuff, at which point it would be unmissable value.

Last edited:

Roberts

So, I played a few GP games over the last few weeks.

Chinatown Detective Agency - Obvious influence is "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?" Probably the notable thing is that the game demands that you either have an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything or you have to search for stuff (The longest river in Asia, for example) on internet, because you won't find the clues in the game itself. And that is kind of a fun touch. I have only done a few cases and the game is kind of fun, but it is not like I'm rushing to get back to it.

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - It is a silly weirdo stoner game that looks like a game for kids, but really isn't (Liz!). Basically a very short and easy action RPG-light with quests, puzzles, bosses and so on. Enjoyed it.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - This one has so many things that annoy me, like never-ending supply of fetch quests and backtracking/grinding, but I couldn't put it down. Really polished controls and just works.

Chorus - Didn't expect it to be this good. Really well-made space shooter/sim that I like considerably more than Star Wars Squadron.

Last edited:

reksveks

Omori just shadowdropped on Gamepass. Never heard of the game, checked out Steam to see what it's about. It has 35k reviews, 98% positive (aka overwhelmingly positive). Wtf.
Enjoying it so far in terms of the atmosphere, story and characters.

The combat is okay, nothing amazing yet. I am playing via xcloud and have mapped the x and a buttons to the back buttons for convenience. Might be a god send for turned based jrpgs.

The only issue is that AI Somnium files comes out in 4 days, and it seems like this game is a bit long.

Top Bottom