• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Then do the same for PSPlus games, and PSNow.

This isn't about keeping the forum tidy and promoting on topic discussion, or else this approach would be adopted across the board.

I agree, do the same thing for other services - but are we playing pretend this forum is indundated with threads about PS Now...?

Do me a favour and ctrl + f the first 10 pages of the gaming forum for "game pass".

Now do the same for both "ps+" and "ps now". Notice anything? One is about 10x the other even when you do both terms at once.

Fredrik

Well having one main Gamepass discussion thread is fine, and probably a good idea. But if there is some big Gamepass news, i think a seperate thread should be allowed. Atleast for the sake of news.

I mean we may as well have just official Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo mega threads, with all discussion in them. I mean that would certainly help with console warring.
Five threads on the whole board.
Playstation-thread
Xbox-thread
Nintendo-thread
PC-thread
Oculus Quest-thread

MiguelItUp

Are we to expect if PSPlus dominates the board with threads the same would be done? Unlikely.
....I would assume if that DID happen that'd actually be very likely, as the mods are doing their "job" of attempting to clean things up and keep it tidy.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this makes sense as long as it is carried out across the board. I guess there will be relevant single threads for xbox live gold, ps now and ps plus?

sunnysideup

Banned
Dont forget to move This thread to the community section.

Finally Can i subscribe to a thread about This fantastic transformative subscribtion service.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
there seem to be several per game these days with each outlet getting there own thread so yeah there are multiple already. Don't see why X game hitting game pass isn't thread worthy. Big scores like MLB and Outriders are huge news.

No more threads about PS Plus new games for the month or Xbox Gold ones? Are they not services?

Again, try what I suggested the other guy do. Ctrl+F the first ten pages of this forum for "game pass" then do the same for both "ps now" and "ps+" and tell me what you find.

Nobody is trying to kill the discussion, we just do not need 10 threads about the same thing. You know there's a "Nintendo" thread right? That doesn;t mean you can't talk about Nintendo on the rest of the forum. We just don't need a thread about Nintendo the business every time they do something.

n0body

Banned
I agree, do the same thing for other services - but are we playing pretend this forum is indundated with threads about PS Now...?

Do me a favour and ctrl + f the first 10 pages of the gaming forum for "game pass".

Now do the same for both "ps+" and "ps now". Notice anything? One is about 10x the other even when you do both terms at once.
Restricting community exposure to a topic because it's being heavily discussed isn't good community management. This isn't a case of duplicate threads, there's differing news and allowing each topic its own place for discussion shouldn't be stifled.

n0body

Banned
Again, try what I suggested the other guy do. Ctrl+F the first ten pages of this forum for "game pass" then do the same for both "ps now" and "ps+" and tell me what you find.

Nobody is trying to kill the discussion, we just do not need 10 threads about the same thing. You know there's a "Nintendo" thread right? That doesn;t mean you can't talk about Nintendo on the rest of the forum. We just don't need a thread about Nintendo the business every time they do something.
By that reasoning just have a single thread per platform.

You've clearly never managed a community before.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Actually yeah thinking about it, this does seem a bit of a damage control thread. Especially with potential big name games coming to it in the future.
So if the Battlefield 6 rumour ends up true, which would be one of the biggest stories of the year really, all discussion has to be in here?.
Yep damage control.
Again false. All battlefield 6 diacussio can have its own thread. Battlefield 6 discussion about gamepass goes here. Simple. It's a games subscription service and all discussion about that service goes here

AV

By that reasoning just have a single thread per platform.

You've clearly never managed a community before.

That post is literally pointing out the fact that we have single platform threads and that they don't prevent discussion of those platforms elsewhere.

Your account is a month old and you wanna wave your dick around talking about community management? Quit while you're ahead, it doesn't work out here. You aren't the first to try.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Na discuss new games. That's clear
Make threads re new games. But if you want to discuss about how xyz game is coming to gamepass (or not coming) discuss it here.
So just to be clear. When new games are announced to be coming to Gamepasss, or some really big Gamepass news gets announced, its alright to make a new thread?. But general Gamepass chit chat should be done in this thread?.
Just want this to be clear for everyone to see.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Exactly my thoughts.

As I said before.... Imagine creating an official thread saying can all sonys first party games be discussed here.

Would come across as extremely salty by xbox gamers. There's so much happening with gamepass every week... And now it can only be discussed in one thread?
Again false and I'll stop replying to this stuff eventually. Discussion of GAMES can go in its own thread same as always. Discussion of gamepass as a streaming service and which games are on there go here. Super simple

n0body

Banned
That post is literally pointing out the fact that we have single platform threads and that they don't prevent discussion of those platforms elsewhere.

Your account is a month old and you wanna wave your dick around talking about community management? Quit while you're ahead, it doesn't work out here. You aren't the first to try.
You're calling out my join date, and I'm the one waving my dick around? Nice try.

AV

You're calling out my join date, and I'm the one waving my dick around? Nice try.

Eh, I'm not pretending there's a gate to be kept, I'm just not backseat moderating either. Just letting you know it won't work.

Fredrik

Na discuss new games. That's clear
Make threads re new games. But if you want to discuss about how xyz game is coming to gamepass (or not coming) discuss it here.
New Gamepass news, new thread?
New Gamepass rumours, Gamepass thread?

Better but it’ll still cause the majority to miss all Xbox rumours. A combo thread like this moves too fast and is too unfocused. It’ll be a mess to try having any sort of focused discussion about anything related to Xbox going forward.

Last edited:

Join dates and newGAF (which is awesome) are mutually exclusive. I remember CBOAT, I remember shot in the foot.....unfortunate comment. I'm sure he meant it differently.

n0body

Banned
Eh, I'm not pretending there's a gate to be kept, I'm just not backseat moderating either. Just letting you know it won't work.
Calling out decisions based in bias isn't backseat moderating, it's communicating a differing opinion. You should learn the difference.

Greeno

What about creating topics for each of these:

"lets put all gamepass discussion here in this thread. New games coming to Gamepass, rumors of games on gamepass, why Sony doesn't have Gamepass, how can Sony fight Gamepass etc etc etc etc".

* "Discuss GamePass" thread
* "GamePass News" thread

In this manner, news doesn't get buried in discussions.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Exactly my thoughts.

As I said before.... Imagine creating an official thread saying can all sonys first party games be discussed here.

Would come across as extremely salty by xbox gamers. There's so much happening with gamepass every week... And now it can only be discussed in one thread?

Good thing we have this awesome thread to discuss all things gamepass.

DaGwaphics

So a message board with less messages, that seems like a good idea?
I can understand it to a point. I feel like sub-forums can be more useful than OT threads for things like this. Users can still create threads (troll threads, I want to have GP babies threads, etc. specific releases for the month) without it cluttering the main page. This thread is a good idea now, but will make news harder to find for those that are interested in it. A GP sub-forum would serve the same function of clearing the main gaming page but still allow information that is widely covered (new inclusion's, etc.) to rise to the top of that section. Maybe that's not something that is technically feasible for this board though. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think this is a strange move.

I understand that a certain element are probably complaining non-stop about the positive news, but as an example, why not consign all of PlayStation’s first party to a single thread? Same principle.

I also think it’s a shame that huge news like the MLB deal will be left as a footnote on random page 356 of this thread, instead of having its own dedicated thread.

Bizarre decision but I suppose suppressing and consolidating all of the good Xbox news in to as few a threads as possible will result in less crying from some members.

I did a quick tally the other day and there were 3 Game Pass threads of the first page and 9 or 10 wishing for a Sony equivalent, gloating about Outriders sales, crying about Jim Ryan or other such repetitive nonsense.

Last edited:
I love it. Tons of games for s small monthly fee, games covering every genre, budget, taste. Lots of indies coming out day one. Every MS game coming out day one and never leaving the service. Big AAA games coming out day one or after just a few months of release.

It has changed my buying habits. Now if there is a game I want I will simply wait for a sale, with so much content on gamepass no need to hurry. The fact that new games are 70-80€ in Europe, where I live, speaks for itself.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

4 in the 1st 4 pages (one is this thread and 2 asking for a Sony game pass)

Yeah its out of control....

Biggest forum plague of recent memory for sure, glad its under control now/

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
DGrayson DGrayson Then let's have one PSPlus games thread, and one PSNow thread.

You can't just pick and choose what to control because it doesn't suit your own personal bias.

You are assuming this has anything to do with my personal bias. Here is a hint
I'm primarily a pc gamer. I have a Xbox one x and a ps4. I don't give a shit about console wars.

If psnow generates 5 to 10 threads a day about bullshit we would consider confining all discussion to one thread. Guess what it doesn't. If you are an Xbox fan u should be happy.

Gamepass is about games delivery. If you like subscriptions cool. Sub to it and chill. Meanwhile we want to discuss vodeogames.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is a seriously bad idea. It’ll be a messy thread with unsorted noise about console war, news, game impressions, rumours, and most people will have to go elsewhere to actually notice any Xbox news now since everything is on Gamepass.

So exactly like the next gen ps5/Xbox series x thread one of the most popular gaf threads in recent times

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
You are assuming this has anything to do with my personal bias. Here is a hint
I'm primarily a pc gamer. I have a Xbox one x and a ps4. I don't give a shit about console wars.

If psnow generates 5 to 10 threads a day about bullshit we would consider confining all discussion to one thread. Guess what it doesn't. If you are an Xbox fan u should be happy.

Gamepass is about games delivery. If you like subscriptions cool. Sub to it and chill. Meanwhile we want to discuss vodeogames.
It's not bullshit though is it, it's clearly something people want to discuss.

The level of threads isn't past the point of control for moderation. If you want to look at real bullshit just check out the tech thread, which hasn't been on topic for the last 80 pages or more.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Absolutely. Wasn't a problem when the TLOU 2 was covering and stinking up most of the first page for ages and there wasn't anything like the volume of new news for it that occurs every week for game pass.

Like someone else said if Battlefield actually comes day 1 to Game Pass that's HUGE news that has to be contained in here but if TLOU gets a remaster for the 3rd generation in row it will be NO problem if there are 20 different threads about it.

I don't meant to be rude and I'm serious

If BF6 comes to gamepass why is this huge news? Ya its cool. For those who have gamepass or those who might want it great. Could it deserve a separate thread? I don't see it but to be discussed.

But point is this huge news? It's a game. Will be available to buy stand alone on steam Xbox and ps and is also available on gamepass. Ok.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Thank you!

All of these redundant Gamepass threads on Gaf were becoming unbearable

source.gif

Last edited:

Fredrik

So exactly like the next gen ps5/Xbox series x thread one of the most popular gaf threads in recent times
I pretty much never check it because of the reasons mentioned. I just think this is a terrible idea. It’s combining like 50% of the talk on the front page in one single thread. Now I essentially have to go through x pages of heated unfocused discussions to see if anything cool is happening on Xbox instead of just check the thread titles on the front page.

AV

4 in the 1st 4 pages (one is this thread and 2 asking for a Sony game pass)

Yeah its out of control....

Biggest forum plague of recent memory for sure, glad its under control now/

10 in 10 pages, but the idea is the same. Pretending that I'm saying this rule should only apply to Game Pass threads doesn't change shit, Jack. We had too many Cyberpunk and TLOU2 threads, too. What's your point?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
New Gamepass news, new thread?
New Gamepass rumours, Gamepass thread?

Better but it’ll still cause the majority to miss all Xbox rumours. A combo thread like this moves too fast and is too unfocused. It’ll be a mess to try having any sort of focused discussion about anything related to Xbox going forward.

No a new game that is coming out cool
Discuss it. When the point of the discussion Is that it is coming to gamepass. That discussion goes here.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
10 in 10 pages, but the idea is the same. Pretending that I'm saying this rule should only apply to Game Pass threads doesn't change shit, Jack. We had too many Cyberpunk and TLOU2 threads, too. What's your point?

my point was the original one you quoted, less message on a message board is a good thing?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
What about creating topics for each of these:

"lets put all gamepass discussion here in this thread. New games coming to Gamepass, rumors of games on gamepass, why Sony doesn't have Gamepass, how can Sony fight Gamepass etc etc etc etc".

* "Discuss GamePass" thread
* "GamePass News" thread

In this manner, news doesn't get buried in discussions.

Good idea and that could happen but we wanted to move on this topic asap.

We are def taking volunteers to create awesome OTs on the above 2 topics you mentioned

Derktron

Banned
Damn Microsoft has really hit the damn nerve of the gaming community and I love to see it. Ohh this is golden. But it’s about damn time the mods make a specific thread for Gamepass because I’m annoyed by the constant threads of Gamepass and Sony.

Derktron

Banned
This is a seriously bad idea. It’ll be a messy thread with unsorted noise about console war, news, game impressions, rumours, and most people will have to go elsewhere to actually notice any Xbox news now since everything is on Gamepass.
Good let it get buried in this thread.

I don't think a thread like this is a good idea but let's see how it plays out. Games are games whether they are on Gamepass or not. Give it a few months when there are more interesting things to talk about and the thread content will even out. This thread is going to be a bitch to read for the time being.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm, I don't believe Gamepass deserves it's own megathread to be honest. I feel that the heat will die down eventually and this thread will ultimately be dead. I personally don't visit megathreads because I don't want to have to catch up on 50 pages of posts. Likewise, any big news for Gamepass would be buried in this thread, essentially muting the magnitude of the effect on this forum.

It is not our fault Microsoft keeps dropping bombs. Though, I will say the sheer amount of gamepass threads not having anything to do with these bombs are numerous.

This feel like a way to protect the feelings of the Sony fans who can't bear the overwhelming positive news from Microsoft. It is akin to censorship.

I suggest a compromise. This thread could be for general conversation about Gamepass, but any future megatons should deserve their own thread.

EDIT: Somebody should probably hire me for this idea. A megathread should have "Chapters". Its a term I came up with all on my own :). Basically the idea is that a member can create a chapter to be able to further separate different topics and events. The inclusion of a Chapter would need to be approved by a mod, so to avoid arbitrary misuse of the feature. That way people would be more inclined to review and participate in megathreads because it would be easier to digest the information. I don't know if it's possible with the current code in place, but GAF has been a pioneer for years. Get it done DGrayson DGrayson Mod of War Mod of War Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights .

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I've got a master plan guys. Let's create 1,000 new threads a day about every positive PS topic.

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Should have kept that to the Discord.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't meant to be rude and I'm serious

If BF6 comes to gamepass why is this huge news? Ya its cool. For thos who have gamepass or those whoight want it great. Could it deserve a separate thread? I don't see it but to be discussed.

But point is this huge news? It's a game. Will be available to buy stand alone on steam Xbox and ps and is also available on gamepass. Ok.
You don’t see why it’s huge news that people would get a £70 huge game like Battlefield included day one in your subscription service whilst others have to pay £70?

In that case why do we have new threads for PS Plus games every month? Just discuss the games? Why does it matter if FF is coming out on Plus? Non subscribers can still buy it at full price.

Top Bottom