• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Leads To Huge 'Player Engagement' Spike For Gotham Knights. The initial surge on PS+ did not match that of GP

Moses85

Why should we play this garbage?

We have two Spideys and one Venom

Spider-Man GIF by Insomniac Games

Last edited:

MacReady13

So, let me get this straight, Xbox fans are celebrating that a 64 meta game is getting massive engagement on GP? Surely that's something to be concerned about rather than celebrate. Each to their own I guess. Maybe it speaks to the same people who liked Redfall. Very strange times.
This is where Xbox is at the moment. Instead of pushing good quality games onto their console like they did during the 360 days and early Xbone days, they now push for any game to get onto game pass and, cause those subscribers are so starved for anything new to arrive, they all jump onto the latest game. They play it for an hour then move onto something else. It gives Microsoft bragging rights that people have engaged in a game and gives Microsoft higher ups a false indication that game pass is all good!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why should we play this garbage?

We have two Spideys and one Venom
It's not garbage. The combat system is actually pretty good and gives you a lot of freedom for the style of play you want to take on, yet isn't overly automated or trying to curb you into narrow responses to what the enemies are doing like Arkham or Spidey games. The day/night system is also a great solution to the problem of over-cluttered open world becoming self-distracted, aimless, or diluted. The rhythm of this system and mission option-selecting also gets a lot of the irritating forced-interjecting-yapping-over-comms stuff out of gameplay, moving it to direct cutscenes where you can either watch them to more naturally connect with the characters and their developments or skip them if you don't want to engage with that aspect.

So, let me get this straight, Xbox fans are celebrating that a 64 meta game is getting massive engagement on GP? Surely that's something to be concerned about rather than celebrate. Each to their own I guess. Maybe it speaks to the same people who liked Redfall. Very strange times.
64 meta is reflective of the launch which was bugged to hell and crashing all the time. It has mostly been fixed now. It's like a Cyberpunk 2077 situation.

Also I got this game on PC and have been defending it for a long time. My commentary has shit to do with its relation to Xbox.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Aren't you the person who loved Forspoken?

Showtime Wtf GIF by Desus & Mero
Forspoken is a fantastic game. Especially compared to starfield. You are not original by regurgitating the same crap opinion based on twitter memes. Maybe try playing a good game for once.
And yes. I’ve supported it and paid full price for it too.
Comparing, starfield was not worth 5$ I’ve paid for a sub.

Good games that do things different and original go right under your noses while this casual unimaginative crap get the attention.
And then forspoken haters think they are the cool guys while in fact they are the stupid masses repeating the same opinion that isn’t even their own.

Forspoken is a fantastic game. Especially compared to starfield. You are not original by regurgitating the same crap opinion based on twitter memes. Maybe try playing a good game for once.
And yes. I’ve supported it and paid full price for it too.
Comparing, starfield was not worth 5$ I’ve paid for a sub.

Good games that do things different and original go right under your noses while this casual unimaginative crap get the attention.
And then forspoken haters think they are the cool guys while in fact they are the stupid masses repeating the same opinion that isn’t even their own.
I'll take gaming advice from people who don't support trash like Forspoken, thank you very much.

yazenov

They were probably thirsty for some Superhero game after they saw all those positive Spiderman 2 reviews. What alternative do they have there at Xbox? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Riky

$MSFT
People got to try a game for no extra cost and realise it's not very good, news at 11.
That's the beauty of Gamepass.
You also get to play Starfield, Forza and Lies Of P, every subscription is going to have a variety of quality.

FeralEcho

"Engagement" is the new "experience" word overuse from the PS4/XB1 era....Jesus it sounds so cringe

Last edited:

SenkiDala

You mean in the same period and the same service that added Starfield, Lies of P, Cocoon, Party Animas and Payday 3, there was nothing to play?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey
Except Starfield all of the other games you're talking about are also on PS5, what is your point ? Also you're comparing genres that have nothing in common, while Gotham Knights and Spider-Man 2 are both super hero open world games.

Disappointing game with bad gameplay loop and many problems getting higher engagement on Gamepass over Plus doesn't really seem like much of a news article? I mean, okay, good for Gotham Knights on Xbox I guess, but it's a very substandard game on both Xbox and PlayStation. Giving it away for free to the higher tier subs on each speaks more to Gamepass having more subs than PS+ Extra/Premium, and PS+ Extra/Premium players having access to higher quality games than Gotham Knights in general. But hey, I'm sure most Xbox gamers would gladly play Gotham Knights for free over Redfall, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm still not sure of the point of this article. To celebrate the strength of Gamepass? Or claim that PS+ Extra/Premium is weaker in comparison? Because it feels more like a testament to what a blah game Gotham Knights is in general. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I feel like I should add that as a PS+ Premium member, Gotham Knights is a game that I actively chose not to engage with whatsoever because it's shit. I'm a big Batman fan and can play this game for free and I'd still rather play other games. Think on that one for a while, WB.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Except Starfield all of the other games you're talking about are also on PS5, what is your point ? Also you're comparing genres that have nothing in common, while Gotham Knights and Spider-Man 2 are both super hero open world games.

It’s entirely irrelevant if they are on PS5 too. Why would you think that was of any relevance to the conversation about games to play for GamePass subscribers on Xbox?

Where did I do any genre comparison?

I suggest you re-read my post and the one i responded to. Slowly, this time. Not every thing has to be viewed from a platform warz lens.

King Dazzar

It’s entirely irrelevant if they are on PS5 too. Why would you think that was of any relevance to the conversation about games to play for GamePass subscribers on Xbox?

Where did I do any genre comparison?

I suggest you re-read my post and the one i responded to. Slowly, this time. Not every thing has to be viewed from a platform warz lens.
Perhaps instead of deliberately misconstruing what people say and insulting them with your condescending tone. Perhaps try responding to his main point? He suggests that people after a super hero experience on PS5 would opt for the Spiderman 2 experience, rather than Gotham Knights, hence impacting the threads main premise of GP sub popularity.

Ozriel

M$FT
Perhaps instead of deliberately misconstruing what people say and insulting them with your condescending tone. Perhaps try responding to his main point? He suggests that people after a super hero experience on PS5 would opt for the Spiderman 2 experience, rather than Gotham Knights, hence impacting the threads main premise of GP sub popularity.

'Superhero' is only mentioned in context of Spiderman 2 being superior to Gotham Knights.
He clearly insinuated GP subscribers on Xbox had nothing else to play and gravitated towards Gotham Knights as a result.

Belthazar

With PS5 having an userbasse that's more than double that of the Series consoles... The 3% reach it had is basically the same than Series engagement. And that's with way less PS+ Extra subscribers.

BlackTron

I bought it on PC back then, played a couple of hours on it no problem. Then the game started crashing at launch or best on the "press start" screen. I searched on forums and it said to remove RT, that's too bad you buy a PC that is RT capable it is not to turn it off but anyway I tried it didn't change anything. Then I tried all the thing I could find nothing worked, I started all this shitty troubleshoot Friday after work and then I figured out we're Sunday afternoon and that's what I did for my weekend. That day I decided to sell my PC and go back to consoles, after 20 years of PC gaming (with console gaming next to it) I just felt tired of all that shit. I prefer play at 30fps than spending a weekend like this again.

You quit PC gaming over Gotham Knights? :messenger_dizzy:

You mean in the same period and the same service that added Starfield, Lies of P, Cocoon, Party Animas and Payday 3, there was nothing to play?

Not to mention, Gotham Knights sold a lot more on PlayStation. And engagement for GK has evened out on both platforms, this clickbait article was just about at launch on the services. So all of this “nothing to play on Xbox” and “but we have Spider-Man!” is nonsense.

Turns out even with this supposed flux of superior games (if you’re to believe posts in this thread) PS users are just as inclined to play GK on a service as Xbox users and more likely to waste money on the game.

I have it installed.

Gonna give it a whirl with my buddy.

It's a coop title. Xbots love that stuff.

No idea why this is surprising.

Infact, ideally developers should have made it exclusive to xbox, then indulge in console warring to make a tidy profit. Just like that Quantum Error title that made all it's money back via pre orders itself, thanks to console warring.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And yet more people played Gotham Knights on PS5 on the date(s) Spider Man 2 came out.

This thread repeatedly told me there's no need PS5 owners to play anything but SM 2 🤔

zS5Ojza.jpg
You realize GP is also on pc and there are trillions of people who got 1$ gapepass and just download shit to delete it 5 minutes later because it's essentially free ?
Besides - I would argue about validity of this graph. What is it even proving. What are the %?! What are the numbers, what platforms, for what money. There is no data. Is this onyl gotham or whole platform engagement?!

And what are you saying about spider man 2 ? That more people played GK on ps5 compared to 70$ new spider man 2 game ? I still dubt that. It's data out of your ass.

We all know you are a famous xbot and that's fine but you should not pull data out of thin air.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

To be fair... I dont think you should count Payday 3 as something people should play.

I do think it has something to do with the fact playstation has access to much better super hero games on their platform. But honestly Gotham Knights just sucked balls, i got pressured into buying it at launch because a friend had no one else to play it with, and it was just... bad.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You realize GP is also on pc and there are trillions of people who got 1$ gapepass and just download shit to delete it 5 minutes later because it's essentially free ?

1. There were no trials all of September and October, they only restarted a few days back. Also, who subscribers just for GK when you have so many other better games?

Also .. Trillions ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Besides - I would argue about validity of this graph. What is it even proving. What are the %?! What are the numbers, what platforms, for what money. There is no data. Is this onyl gotham or whole platform engagement?!

The OP and pictures in Mat's tweets very clearly state this is about just Gotham Knight's engagement.

Jesus, rofif.

And what are you saying about spider man 2 ? That more people played GK on ps5 compared to 70$ new spider man 2 game ? I still dubt that. It's data out of your ass.

Read the post again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We all know you are a famous xbot and that's fine but you should not pull data out of thin air.

Nick Offerman Smile GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PlayStation GoTY, RE4.

To be fair, RE4 is also very likely *my* personal GoTY and it coming to either service would be a huge boon.

But, yes, a multi-platform game winning PS GoTY is the weirdest thing all year, when you have perfectly serviceable exclusive candidates like FF16.

Last edited:

Killer8

Damn, more Game Pass subscribers tried out a terrible game for an hour before shelving it forever. The wins just don't stop coming at the house of Phil.

Top Bottom