• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox held an internal town hall on Tuesday where Spencer said they don’t plan to stop making consoles

ManaByte

Gold Member
Copying this small part from RedDragon
Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

Killjoy-NL

Of course, of course it is a logical conclusion..... it is because it only pays attention to some statements and facts while ignoring a whole multitude of others that indicate the opposite....😉
"Some statements and facts"

The most obvious ones showing how screwed Xbox is rn, but okay, let's just ignore that.
That's your problem, believing that the possibility of MS continuing or not in the console business and releasing hardware is dependent on how much XSeries sells...
Well, they are gambling on GP and GP is quite clearly dependant on how much HW is sold.
And yes, you have made a summary and I can make you a longer one with facts and indications that indicate that MS can be planning to continue launching hardware...

- MS continues to oppose accepting the obligation to make ABK games multiplatform on consoles beyond COD. From yesterday you have his response to the FTC. If MS had already decided that tthey were not going to launch more consoles..... Explain to me the reason why MS continue to put the acquisition of ABK in danger and the possibility of new acquisitions in many difficulties 🤔

-By now Sony should already know MS's plans and know what games are released on PS5.... And yet there you have Sony legally supporting the FTC ( in the aspect of the possibility of affecting competition in the console market ) so that MS does not acquire ABK and that is still despite the agreement COD for 10 years.🤔
The ABK acquisition is just a part of the problem as a whole.

No idea why you are so hung up on that single aspect?
-You have confirmation of the leaked documents of the hardware roadmap and you have P. Spencer officially saying less than 1 month ago that they are developing new hardware and that they have a decided roadmap. Is it those parts where P. Spencer lies?🤔
I've acknowledged the possibility of MS releasing new consoles.
But I've also said that it would be extremely dumb, because then they would double-down on this road leading to the end.
- You have to say that MS has appointed Sarah Bond as head of hardware supposedly as the main competition 1 month ago....... You have to understand that they gave her an empty or residual position or that they are directly making fun of her because there is no plans to launch new hardware??🤔
Afaik, she's head of hardware  and software.
That doesn't mean what you imply in any way.

Also, she and Spencer reportedly have very different views and there seems to be an internal struggle, where Sarah Bond wants to make a drastic change with backing from MS higher-ups.
- You point out certain rumors and turn a deaf ear to those that indicate that new hardware is being developed. Nate, Heis, Tom Henderson, Kepler, Jez, Grubb, this info in OP....
Answered this above.
I can accept and respect your opinion that you do not see any possibility according to your criteria... but another thing is to accept that you say that whoever thinks of a high possibility that MS will continue launching hardware and continue in the console business (the philosophy or strategy what he thinks for her is another topic) is simply a blind fan who doesn't want to see. Mainly because a majority here who also think so are far from being an Xbox fan.
Oh, I've already said in that thread about 2 hardware products (high end console + handheld) that I'm willing to believe MS will be dumb enough to release those two.
 If MS releases select games on PlayStation, those consoles/handhelds are going to perform worse than Series is doing rn.
I invite you to take a look at the ABK acquisition thread and then compare..... I assure you that you will have a lot of laughs when you see the 180° turn of many of those who now tell you to think about the possibility of MS launching new hardware is having no judgment...😅
Again, ABK is just a part of the problem for Xbox.

XXL

Anyone who thinks that (after the rumors started) they scheduled a "business update event to discuss the future of Xbox" all while not addressing anything being said to tell us that Hifi Rush is coming to PS5 is honestly a fucking idiot.

We don't even know anything about when the event is taking place or even what format it is going to be and neither do the mainstream gaming outlets.

I have to no clue if Xbox hardware will be discontinued, but something big is on the horizon.

And it's honestly strange people are listening to so many different insiders and worrying about their credibility, when we have one leaker who has been right (like 100% correct) about everything he has said leading up to all this and hasn't resurfaced to chase clout.

This is from before the last Xbox Event.
GFSLDq4XgAA3IR-.png

THIS IS THE MOST CREDIBLE LEAKER SO FAR, BY A WIDE MARGIN.

Part of me is starting to wonder if Xbox was silent all week so they when they announce a bunch of shit some of their fans are not going to like.....they'll scurry back to their respective forums and act like nothing fucking happened.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Part of me is starting to wonder if Xbox was silent all week so they when they announce a bunch of shit some of their fans are not going to like.....they'll scurry back to their respective forums and act like nothing fucking happened.
They're quiet because the FTC will jump on any misstatement and run crying to the court, so MS legal is combing over every single piece of punctuation in the script.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
PC Day and Date and Gamepass cratered software sales on Xbox and damaged growth. Any Xbox games being released now will be asked is that on Playstation at pre release stage whether it will stay exclusive or not. Owning an Xbox going forward is pointless for new potential customers if you own a PS or PC. Xbox needed to remove day and date on PC for 6 months delay at the start of the Series lifecycle. Xbox as a platform option is as meaningful as an Ouya for new consumers. A decade of poor leadership would do that to a platform.

If you want a Next Xbox you need to have some features/games that can't be bought anywhere else. You have to differentiate from the competition

Last edited:
Sega ran out of money. They were financially incapable of continuing to support Dreamcast. They had also lost most of their third party support with Saturn and they didn't get it back with Dreamcast, meaning they were missing most of the biggest third party games. Neither of those applies to Microsoft.

Nintendo is closer to Sega based on console history. After NES their console base slipped dramatically. SNES sold less than NES. N64 sold less than SNES. Gamecube sold less than N64. As nostalgic as we are for N64, if you look at the numbers it was actually a commercial failure. Like Sega, less than stellar hardware decisions cost Nintendo most of their third major party support. If Nintendo didn't have the DS handheld line to support them financially that plummet from SNES to N64 to Gamecube probably would have killed the company and we likely wouldn't have seen the Wii at all. After WiiU Nintendo leaned into the things that they were always best at, handheld gaming and whimsical imagination, and it made the Switch the success it is now.

The real test for Microsoft at this point is whether they can learn from the mistakes they made from Xbox 360 to now and get back to what made people buy over 80 million consoles that generation in the first place.

In my opinion them going full corporate Microsoft branding is one of the worst things they have done to Xbox. When you think of fun Microsoft is not a brand that stands out. Prior to Xbox One most people might not have even known Xbox was from Microsoft. Then with One they released a VCR with that stupid tiled interface Microsoft was pushing on Windows users and bam, Xbox was boring. Even now, seeing Nadella talk about gaming is boring. Microsoft really needs to be thinking about why people lugged their OG Xbox and 100 lb crt TVs to their friends houses for console lan parties. Because they've lost whatever that was and they need it back.

Sega ran out of money, because the Dreamcast wasn't selling and too many that did buy were pirating the games instead of buying them. The similarity with Microsoft though here and the most important one is that the Xbox Series just isn't selling. They sell these units at a loss in the first place and people aren't buying games because Microsoft has conditioned them not to.

The idea that Xbox has more money than Sega is misleading. We have no idea the financials of Xbox because Xbox is not a public company and Microsoft doesn't report on the financial health of Xbox.

The 360 didn't actually sell 85 million units. It re-sold many units to people who already had one but their warranty expired. If you look at Europe and North America, both started declining around the same time, but North America started to increase in sales while Europe didn't pretty randomly. It turns out this is the same time red ring of death started happening. Europe had longer warranty coverage so people didn't have to buy a new system. US and Canada not so much. The 360 had a 50% failure rate. The real number of sold units not including replacements was probably around 55-65 million.

More evidence of this is the software tie in ratio. The 360 sold 630 million units of software. The PS3 sold 748 million units. If the 360 was truly at 85 million, this number would have been much closer. This is a lower attach rate than the Wii U. If we had a breakdown of european software to north american software, we'd probably get a much clearer picture.

Edit: The 360 was out for a year longer than the PS3 as well. It means the Xbox 360 averaged 78 million copies of software a year. While the PS3 averaged 106 million copies a year. There is absolutely no way that their total number of users was the same or really even close.

As for Nintendo they've always been profitable because they don't sell their products for a loss. They were never going to out of business. Nintendo has always been more valuable as a company with more cash on hand than PlayStation.

Last edited:
PC Day and Date and Gamepass cratered software sales on Xbox and damaged growth. Any Xbox games being released now will be asked is that on Playstation at pre release stage whether it will stay exclusive or not. Owning an Xbox going forward is pointless for new potential customers if you own a PS or PC. Xbox needed to remove day and date on PC for 6 months delay at the start of the Series lifecycle. Xbox as a platform option is as meaningful as an Ouya for new consumers. A decade of poor leadership would do that to a platform.

If you want a Next Xbox you need to have some features/games that can't be bought anywhere else. You have to differentiate from the competition

They couldn't get rid of PC day and date because games don't sell enough on Xbox and they can't afford the budgets with only the Xbox userbase. You could argue chicken and the egg, but they weren't PC day and date on X1 and it was still a problem.

The reason they couldn't make games like TLOU is because they couldn't really afford to do that across studios and it's why they also farmed out most of their software development to companies like Epic and why they published Sunset Overdrive from Insomniac.

Delaying things on GamePass ruins the value proposition of GamePass which would mean less people signing up and less people staying with it, which would also impact the desirability of Xbox. Another catch 22 type of situation.

I think the bigger problem was releasing PC GamePass too early in the product's life. It should have been exclusive to Xbox so you could sell Xboxes, but again the problem is the operating cost of the program and the limited growth potential of the xbox userbase.

Sony has the right idea: Always put PlayStation first. Even if it's a game like TLOU2 Remastered. Still comes out first on PS5 rather than day and date on PC, even though everyone with PS5 could have already played TLOU2 PS4 version enhanced on PS5.

PSVR2? Only on PS5 right now.

PS Streaming? Not on PC yet.

Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok? Not on PC yet.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
They couldn't get rid of PC day and date because games don't sell enough on Xbox and they can't afford the budgets with only the Xbox userbase. You could argue chicken and the egg, but they weren't PC day and date on X1 and it was still a problem.

The reason they couldn't make games like TLOU is because they couldn't really afford to do that across studios and it's why they also farmed out most of their software development to companies like Epic and why they published Sunset Overdrive from Insomniac.

Delaying things on GamePass ruins the value proposition of GamePass which would mean less people signing up and less people staying with it, which would also impact the desirability of Xbox. Another catch 22 type of situation.

I think the bigger problem was releasing PC GamePass too early in the product's life. It should have been exclusive to Xbox so you could sell Xboxes, but again the problem is the operating cost of the program and the limited growth potential of the xbox userbase.

Sony has the right idea: Always put PlayStation first. Even if it's a game like TLOU2 Remastered. Still comes out first on PS5 rather than day and date on PC, even though everyone with PS5 could have already played TLOU2 PS4 version enhanced on PS5.

PSVR2? Only on PS5 right now.

PS Streaming? Not on PC yet.

Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok? Not on PC yet.
Sony is also has a pretty strong feature differentiation form PC. Want full wireless DualSense support in every game, robust 3D audio, flawsless HDR and full brand-accessories support? PS5 is a nice place to be.

Meanwhile Xbox is just, well, a less expensive PC.

StueyDuck

Banned
Whatever they are gonna say they absolutely fumbled this.

There's no way that anything they say now will be taken well, no matter what it is that is said for the future plans

Yeah start the generation early is their best option, generations are lasting way too long anyway that's why we have these stupid Pro models that are held back by the older system anyway. 2025/26 just around the release of GTA6 a true next generation version of that would be something.
i don't think that's is a good tradeoff. pretty bad negotiation if you ask me.

It just means a meeting for employees within a certain division of the company only I imagine. I assume the information is not to be leaked to the press or public or in this case the larger company. The company at large is a "State", a company division is a "town" within that company State.

Pretty much this, though sometimes a Town Hall meeting can be held for the whole company.

Just think about a town hall as a meeting whose attendees can be either a Business Unit or the whole company

lefty1117

Gold Member
I figure MS is going to start letting some of their franchises go onto other platforms because they are planning another big acquisition, maybe EA.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Anyone who thinks that (after the rumors started) they scheduled a "business update event to discuss the future of Xbox" all while not addressing anything being said to tell us that Hifi Rush is coming to PS5 is honestly a fucking idiot.

We don't even know anything about when the event is taking place or even what format it is going to be and neither do the mainstream gaming outlets.

I have to no clue if Xbox hardware will be discontinued, but something big is on the horizon.

And it's honestly strange people are listening to so many different insiders and worrying about their credibility, when we have one leaker who has been right (like 100% correct) about everything he has said leading up to all this and hasn't resurfaced to chase clout.

This is from before the last Xbox Event.
GFSLDq4XgAA3IR-.png

THIS IS THE MOST CREDIBLE LEAKER SO FAR, BY A WIDE MARGIN.

This!
I don’t know what D Darsxx82 and Negotiator101 Negotiator101 think the rumour is, this is the ONLY credible one.

Darsxx82

This!
I don’t know what D Darsxx82 and Negotiator101 Negotiator101 think the rumour is, this is the ONLY credible one.
They are all credible and at the same time none is credible. In some of them there can be some truth and in some of them there can be lies..... As easy as waiting until next week and then there will be certainties.

Right now, betting on the most credible one is rather betting the one that you wish were right.🤗

PS.If in the end that source was the real one... at least it will be interesting to discuss the strategy and philosophy of Xbox 3rd party OEM consoles and above all what these consist of, specs and which companies will be in charge 🤗

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They are all credible and at the same time none is credible. In some of them there can be some truth and in some of them there can be lies..... As easy as waiting until next week and then there will be certainties.

Right now, betting on the most credible one is rather betting the one that you wish were right.🤗

PS.If in the end that source was the real one... at least it will be interesting to discuss the strategy and philosophy of Xbox 3rd party OEM consoles and above all what these consist of, specs and which companies will be in charge 🤗
80-90% of it has already come true, expecting the rest to be wrong is wishful thinking.

Darsxx82

80-90% of it has already come true, expecting the rest to be wrong is wishful thinking.
Well OK, then I don't know how long it takes you to open a thread and declare what is already a 100% reality according to you 😉🤗

PS. I don't know, it just gives me the feeling that it bothers you that there are people who remain skeptical in this whole circus and prefer to wait to know what is real or not ?? 🤔😅

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well OK, then I don't know how long it takes you to open a thread and declare what is already a 100% reality according to you 😉🤗

PS. I don't know, it just gives me the feeling that it bothers you that there are people who remain skeptical in this whole circus and prefer to wait to know what is real or not ?? 🤔😅
You just seem in denial and confused about the rumours, you’re welcome!

knguyen

Wonder what will happen next for Xbox. When talking to the public, Phil Spencer only lies and spins, so what he said were all bullshit. (The only time when he spoke the truth was when he announced the Series X,S prices)

Codeblew

I wonder if Take2 recently told MS that GTA6 would not be released on XSS and they can take it or leave it for XSX.

If Microsoft wanted to sell consoles, they should tell people that the only way to play Elder Scrolls is on an Xbox first. They need to stop buying game studios unless they intend to make them exclusive studios just for Xbox

Celine

Nintendo is closer to Sega based on console history. After NES their console base slipped dramatically. SNES sold less than NES. N64 sold less than SNES. Gamecube sold less than N64. As nostalgic as we are for N64, if you look at the numbers it was actually a commercial failure. Like Sega, less than stellar hardware decisions cost Nintendo most of their third major party support. If Nintendo didn't have the DS handheld line to support them financially that plummet from SNES to N64 to Gamecube probably would have killed the company and we likely wouldn't have seen the Wii at all. After WiiU Nintendo leaned into the things that they were always best at, handheld gaming and whimsical imagination, and it made the Switch the success it is now.
Nintendo is historically the most profitable console manufacturer ever.
In fact most often than not Nintendo outprofitted the PlayStation division.
Nintendo have had its fair share of ups and downs but were in general always profitable since entering the console business bar three years (in the mid of the WiiU/3DS era).
Also Nintendo's profitability didn't plummet going from the SNES days to the GC days, it followed the usual generational (gaussian) curve while maintaining roughly at the same level.
Calling N64 a "commercial failure" is also flat out wrong.
Yes, it sold less hardware and software than PS1 and SNES that precedeed it but that doesn't make it a "commercial failure".
What if I tell you the numbers shows that N64 sold more first party-software than SNES? (first-party software has higher profit margins than third-party software)

Nintendo is often likened to Sega of old because both were pure game companies unlike mega corporations like Sony and Microsoft and both followed a first-party driven model for their game platforms as was common for early consoles (late '70s to mid '90s).
But the similarities stops there, Nintendo was always a much stronger and smarter company than Sega.
Proof is Sega ceased manufacturing consoles more than two decades ago whereas Nintendo in recent times has released the most popular console worldwide.

0yn06rF.jpeg

Last edited:

Alan Wake

The XSX was being sold for 350 during Christmas and was still completely outsold by the 500-dollar PS5...

150-dollar price difference...made no difference...

And the problem with trying to undercut Sony on price is that it did make a difference, Sony can match the price if they have to, knowing they can make up the difference in software sales and royalties, meaning you'd have to go even cheaper on hardware price.

This idea that Microsoft is going to heavily subsidize Xbox hardware anymore is a fantasy. When was the last time you saw a major game that was on GamePass Day 1? Last major 3rd party exclusive on Xbox Series? Microsoft is tightening the wallet.

And on top of that there was always the Series S for 299 which we know scared Sony a bit. It was meant as a cheap next gen ticket but it has not helped. Not enough at least.

Top Bottom