• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not for me. I have no problem driving or walking to the nearest store and getting what I want. There are online stores that sell physical games as well, so inconvenience and selection are not a problem. As far as pricing goes. I'd rather pay extra and get something physical than save a few bucks and have nothing to show for it. As I type this, I'm staring at my Mjolnir helmet, Noble Team Statue, and Aliens Power Loader. None of which I would have on display if I went digital.

I'd imagine if you lived in an apartment or dorm, space would be an issue and digital would be the way to go, but I've got two entire rooms just dedicated to my gaming.

Chicks totally dig the Nintendo room.

Well he/she was saying that now you're doing all that and just getting a digital game basically since it has to be installed, has DRM etc. rather than just being a disc you can do whatever you want now. That you're getting a digital game with out the convenience of still downloading it.

But sure, for collectors at least you still get a disc and case and all that jazz.

As for not liking physical goods--it's not just space. That is part of it as I'm in a condo, and will never have a huge house since it will just be me and my significant other as I'll never have kids, and I like keeping a smallish carbon footprint.

But it's also that everyone has different interior design tastes. I have a pretty swanky condo with a great view of a park to the left and downtown skyline straight ahead, nice furniture and art on the walls etc. I hate my movie racks and one shelf on them of games as they stick out like a sore thumb. I need to shell out and gets some media cabinets with doors to keep it all out of site. And I'd personally never have game art, knick knacks etc. around as it just doesn't fit the upscale decor I like in my place. I don't care what others think--I don't have people over often anyway as I like my home to be my sanctuary. I just care what looks good to me, and what makes me feel relaxed after long days/weeks of stressful work etc.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having whole rooms full of gaming stuff etc. either. The only thing that matters about a home is that the person/people living there like it and feel at home. :D

dancmc

I'm not saying don't do it, anyone who feels passionately about it should feel like they should exercise their right to protest/vote with their dollars. But has a boycott against any type of product ever worked?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They will if people allow Microsoft to get away with this, and by "get away with this," I mean if you give them your money.

That will have nothing to do with it since they'll probably launch in the same month and Sony may even launch first.

If Sony is going to have DRM, it's already a done deal as they system would have to be designed and ready to roll out this fall etc. Perhaps it could be scrapped if they were planing on it and think better of it after this shitstorm MS is getting.

But if it was third party publishers really pushing it, then they probably have little choice but to give them someway to DRM their games if publishers so choose as they can't risk third parties pulling support if only MS offers them a way to control used games.

Not for me. I have no problem driving or walking to the nearest store and getting what I want. There are online stores that sell physical games as well, so inconvenience and selection are not a problem. As far as pricing goes I'd rather pay extra and get something physical than save a few bucks and have nothing to show for it. As I type this, I'm staring at my Mjolnir helmet, Noble Team Statue, and Aliens Power Loader. None of which I would have on display if I went digital.

I'd imagine if you lived in an apartment or dorm, space would be an issue and digital would be the way to go, but I've got two entire rooms just dedicated to my gaming.

Chicks totally dig the Nintendo room.
I was talking more in generalities.

I personally generally buy from online retailers and have games delivered to my mailbox. I can wait a week - I don't need to day-one everything. I can also wait until the price is at something I'm willing to pay. I get convenience, price and having a physical product, and it's worth it for the loss of immediacy.

jim2011

I just read this and it may be viable

It's not. They went in depth about how the microphone only picks up sounds from the user based on using kinect's tracking to identify them.

I do agree about the notion of why would I ever buy a download rather than a disc if they are the same price. My only thought and hope would be that Microsoft would allow you to trade in your digital licenses directly with authorized vendors without ever leaving your living room. It would be a smart tactic. Otherwise, unless its cheaper, the disc version will always have more value.

Actually after reading what I wrote, I recognize a major issue going forward:

There's a problem with this idea. With digital licenses, there is no incentive for "used games". Whether its a new license or a transferred/used license, the end result is the same, a game that works.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I personally generally buy from online retailers and have games delivered to my mailbox. I can wait a week - I don't need to day-one everything. I can also wait until the price is at something I'm willing to pay. I get convenience, price and having a physical product, and it's worth it for the loss of immediacy.

I do the same. And I don't care much for immediacy. I do have Amazon Prime though, so I get things day one anyway the rare times I do preorder something.

It's just that I don't collect so I hate having to hassle with selling/trading/donating a game case and disc when I'm done with it.

I mean I'll do it as I'd still rather get some money back and knock the out of cost expense for playing the game down some.

But I'd much rather just buy at, or close enough to, that out of pocket (after resell) expense digitally and not have to bother.

I mean if I can buy a game new on sale or after price drop for $40, beat it a month or two later (or longer given the backlog) and sell it for $10 after Amazon takes their cut and be out $30, or I could pay $30-35 to get it digitally to begin with I'd go digital every time to avoid the time wasted listing it, printing the invoice, buying and printing shipping and sending it out. Much less the occasionally worry over getting a bad buyer who claims it got lost (or legitimately having something lost or damaged in the mail etc.).

So that's more of where I'm coming from in being very willing to make the digital switch when/if the price makes it worthwhile for me to do so.

Shingro

Serious question, was there this much backlash regarding iTunes and steam? I am just trying to put this into context.

Also I do remain optimistic that if the policies don't get changed, that at least they will evolve to have some of the better pricing pressures like on steam and the various app stores.

Unfortunately it's likely that retail will still pressure publishers and the like to prevent digital to do large sales and undercut their stores and profit margins. This has been a pressure since the dawn of digital and the reason why only spaces without retail pressure get megasales.

Tawpgun

Wanted to ask here before I made a new thread.

With Xbox Ones' needing a connection at least once per day to the internet...

How the hell are LAN's going to work? I haven't seen anything from microsoft addressing this. Does this mean we can't LAN? Does this mean organizations like MLG, AGL and others who play competitively for money are out of luck or will have to find a way to connect all of the consoles to the internet once a day?

What about gaming conventions? They're gonna need to find a way to connect all of them to the internet?

Not like gamestop and other retailers aren't getting shit on already, but they will need to somehow connect the display xbox's.

You know, in the wake of the NSA revelations where it has been stated that the US government has direct access to data from companies including Google, Apple, and Facebook, fears of possible invasions of privacy become all the more pertinent.

The Guardian also states:

Could it be that the CIA has access to your kinect? It seems crazy, but there is a very real possiblity they do.

CIA chief, general Petraeus, stated last year that these new online devices will be used to spy on people.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/

It seems we're heading towards a scary future where always on devices will be used to spy on US citizens.
Think of the bright side. Kinect 2.0 provides you with an alibi if you're falsely accused of a crime!

Karak

I wonder how many returns stores will get from people who don't realize it require an online connection to play games? I can see it being a substantial amount, especially from parents on the day after Christmas when all those wonderful new games little Timmy is playing suddenly stop working.

I keep talking to people about this. IT has be to a huge number. Even people who just don't have a wireless router and little Jimmies 360 is in the basement where they keep him locked up:)

Sayter

Yeees. You better believe it. Very much so. Particularly steam since it was a revolting mess. Valve bundled it with some extremely compelling software, yet it still was reviled by most users. In the beginning, at least.
MJAyKzM.gif
SAABB1Y.gif

One of those is a remnant of the old times. It's only mildly exaggerated.

Yep. And mainstream consumers will see this as just another way of how the marketplace has evolved. Like Steam, Microsoft's plan will be accepted and become the norm. And the only one to blame are the consumers themselves.

Ohh you were talking in generalities.

Well if you generally aren't inconvenienced by buying physical games over the internet, why complain about it?

You know what I hate? Pepsi. I despise Pepsi, and whenever I go to a restaurant with someone and all they have is Pepsi products, that's an inconvenience because dammit, I like Coke.

leadbelly

Banned
Did this get posted yet? Everyone keeps saying this whole scheme is "just like steam."

Well, this is a nice explanation. "No, the Xbox One is not just like steam"

A number of people on these forums have stated the extra benefits of PC gaming that you simply don't get on consoles.

The truth is though, DRM has never really been popular with PC gamers either. Just because PC gamers have tolerated these draconian measures doesn't make those measures any less shitty. There was a lot of negative feedback with Ubisoft's 'always on' DRM which eventually led them to patch it out in certain games. In terms of piracy it has never really worked with PC gaming anyway, with every method tried eventually being cracked. It has only ever hurt the legitimate owners. They are the ones who have to put up with it while the people pirating the game get to play it free of all the restrictions.

One of the big differences with PC and consoles is to do with 'open' and 'closed' platforms. The PC is very much an open platform where due to its nature, it is very easy to pirate and crack games. With console it is a lot more difficult and not a simple task for the average user. In fact piracy on the PS3 was pretty minimum. It is interesting to note that despite all the piracy on PC, publishers have still found the market worthy enough to release their games on that platform.

The bigger issue I guess with consoles is the used games market, but then publishers have been banging that drum for a very long time. They are simply unable to fix their aging model, so now they have turned on the used game market instead.

Really that's just up to person on whether it's a huge deal.

I don't like it, but it wouldn't really affect me. I could live with it if I had to, I guess is what I'm saying.

My internet is rarely down period, much less for more than a day. I try to only live in places where I know I have a few different ISP options (I look that up when comparing places) as having good internet is crucial for me as I work at home a lot, stream a lot etc.

Secondary consoles are completely moot for me as it's just me (and soon my non-gaming fiancee) at home--will never have roommates again (and haven't for ages) and I'm never having kids. None of my local friends game at all, so all my gaming is at home and on my main console.

So again, this stuff wouldn't really affect me. I just don't like it in principle and will likely go PS4 if they don't require online checks AND doesn't have some other way for publishers to restrict used game sales.

But at the end of the day, it wouldn't hamper my gaming (other than a VERY rare occurence when my internet was down for more than a day--and I can live without gaming a few days--I'm lucky to get more than 5 hours in most weeks anyway). So I'd get all the convenience I want out of digital gaming--other than the prices likely sucking and being the same as game discs currently which is BS and what bothers me the most about all of this.

Do you collect games?

Akainu

So microsoft says the used games and trading is up to the publisher right? Have they said anything about doing these thing with their own games?

So microsoft says the used games and trading is up to the publisher right? Have they said anything about doing these thing with their own games?

Yes their FAQ addresses they support used game vendors that are out there for this fiasco. They also support their own give a friend your game thing. They implied that 3rd parties could say no to this if they want and lock games away from used market completely.

Takk

As long as you're consle is plugged into the wall you'll be fine. The 24 hour connect will be done automatically as the Xbone is "always on"

So if you leave your home for a week and don't take your Xbone, the console will authorize it every 24 hours as long as it is:

A.) Plugged into the wall for power

B.) Has a internet connection.

You don't need to turn on the Xbone once a day.

Still a shitty move I don't agree with

You guys make it sound like if you leave your xbox disconnected for more than 24 hours while on vacation or something it will somehow not work anymore.

It doesn't HAVE to authenticate if you are not playing games. The requirement to start a game will be: has xbox validated your game purchases/transactions/etc at least in the last 24 hours from the current system time.

(I'm not supporting this is anyway)

Replicant

That will have nothing to do with it since they'll probably launch in the same month and Sony may even launch first.

If Sony is going to have DRM, it's already a done deal as they system would have to be designed and ready to roll out this fall etc. Perhaps it could be scrapped if they were planing on it and think better of it after this shitstorm MS is getting.

But if it was third party publishers really pushing it, then they probably have little choice but to give them someway to DRM their games if publishers so choose as they can't risk third parties pulling support if only MS offers them a way to control used games.

I think one thing that may have prevented Sony from doing it atm is ironically something that PSN users had to endure not too long ago: PSN hacking. It was an incident that brought down PSN to its knees for 3+ weeks in most countries and longer in Japan. It caused major ruckus where Sony got reprimanded by Japanese government. With that incident still fresh in the mind of the public, Sony would be crazy to go with DRM when they have no infrastructure to support it.

MS was simply lucky that they never experienced something that massive but when they do, I hope they finally get the karma that they deserve.

Jack_AG

Banned
The 24 hour check-in and the 1-hour check-in on secondary consoles is an incredibly big deal.
It is nothing compared to MS or pubs shutting down servers when a sequel hits. Check-ins are dependent on your ISP. Servers are dependent on how often EA and the like want you to upgrade from '13 to '14.

Giving control of your games to MS/Pubs is far more dangerous than a flaky ISP.

HEY! You missed my ColecoVision. Watchit, smartass.

Oh, much love for all of the consoles. Sadly, though, I never owned a ColecoVision in my childhood. I did later pick up an Atari 2600, and still have my original Odyssey2, C64, and Amiga 1000. I really should try and pick up a ColecoVision and an Intellivision too.

It is nothing compared to MS or pubs shutting down servers when a sequel hits. Check-ins are dependent on your ISP. Servers are dependent on how often EA and the like want you to upgrade from '13 to '14.

Its not just a matter of flaky ISPs, it specifically excludes a third of the xbox 360's current market. It means the games are useless without continually asking and receiving permission from Microsoft. It also completely eliminates several common use cases for gaming consoles (offline play under all kinds of circumstances from travel to internet outages to being a second console away from internet access, etc etc etc).

Those limits change the very nature of buying and playing console games. Thats no small feat. Thats a lockdown much, much more restrictive than Steam or any other digital marketplace I'm aware of.

Man, I'd like to see how the average consumer will deal with all this mess. I mean, people who are not always up to date with gaming news like us etc. When they decide to re-sell their games or stay a whole week with their consoles turned off because they'll be working and studying...

ari

Banned
Calls for boycott are always met with mockery on Gaf. But really, that's the only option that remains for consumers, if they want to send the message this is not OK.
As a consumer who purchased 3 Xbox 360s, the joke is already on me. But Microsoft won't get my console gaming dollars this gen.

The press is uniquely positioned here, going into e3. So far, I'm pretty pleased with the coverage of this Microsoft DRM horror show. For the most part, the press has been all over this, and they're telling it like it is. IGN and some others, notwithstanding.

Microsoft decides they don't like the bad press, and they start cancelling e3 round tables and one on one interviews, etc. Microsoft is cramming their DRM, used games, always on policies down all of our throats. We will LOVE whatever crap they force down our throats and we will gush about it, or we can shut the hell up. Well, I vote we shut the hell up.

As in screw them. Call Microsoft's bluff. If I'm press I get as many of my peers together, and actively NOT participate in celebrating/sensationalizing Microsoft's new gaming world order. How would Microsoft feel if all the important press *skipped* their booths, didn't publish any praiseworthy articles - only scathing criticisms of Microsoft's corporate bullying.

Of course that won't happen. I guess it's not very journalisty to boycott and protest stuff by NOT covering it. But I would love to see this blow up on MS, I really would.

Anyways I digress. Will. Not. Buy.

Lol. So much drama.

leadbelly

Banned
Man, I'd like to see how the average consumer will deal with all this mess. I mean, people who are not always up to date with gaming news like us etc. When they decide to re-sell their games or stay a whole week with their consoles turned off because they'll be working and studying...

You can pretty much guarantee a number of issues will arise. I imagine Microsoft will get a number of calls from people claiming their Xbox One doesn't work, and that it won't play any games. lol

Raven77

Does this mean that well see more risky titles?

Probably not.

Does this mean that the publishers will pass their extra earnings onto developers?

Probably not.

Will Gamestop give consumers even LESS for trade ins?

YES

I mean how does the consumer win here? We lose five freedoms to gain one...

RustyO

This I think will be very interesting.

FIFA/Madden/NHL/NBA/NFL etc; and even COD/BF et al... New yearly release comes out and they turn off the authentication servers for the prior verison; Day1, Month 1, Year 1, Year 10?

Shoeless

On Giant Bomb's video about the DRM stuff, Patrick brought up the rumor that EA/Activision/Ubisoft wanted either this, or to raise prices to $70.

Ah, video game industry...

Given a choice between the two, I'd personally rather have gone with the $10 price hike.

Exactly. Physical copies are essentially download tickets for DD copies now.

The game is still on the disc though, is it not?

The game installed on your Xbox One from the retail disc would be no different than the one downloaded from the Marketplace, but how is that any different than retail games on Xbox Live now?

Halo 4 is $40 on Xbox Live, and *checks Amazon*. Okay, Amazon is currently selling Halo 4 for $27.20 , so there goes the point I was going to make... but it's regularly $40 in stores.

Aside from a nice case, a disc, and a manual, you're paying for the same thing.

If Microsoft is going to price digital copies as much as the disc, why not get a little something extra?

romulus91

Consumers organically transitioned to digital storefronts provided by Amazon, Apple, Netflix etc. And on the PC to digital distribution services like Steam, GOG etc.

They were incentivized to do so through convenience, through price, through selection etc.

But for those that wanted to purchase a book, CD, DVD or BluRay to have the physical item and use it as a physical product - they were free to do so.

The problem here is that Microsoft, publishers and game retail are trying to pretend that a physical purchase is a digital download. They want to have their cake and eat it to.

They can't or won't incentivize their digital storefronts with deep discounts because they're beholden to their retail "partners" to sell their proprietary hardware to create an installed base. (Anybody who thinks this will lead to cheaper digital prices should realise this.) Similarly, publishers provide retailers with pre-order bonuses because they're still a big part of moving their software.

So people aren't transitioning like with other entertainment media.

What they've delivered here is the frankenproduct - all the restrictions of digital with none of the benefits. But it's the best of both worlds for them and their partners.

SPOT. FUCKING. ON. word for word

Serious question, was there this much backlash regarding iTunes and steam? I am just trying to put this into context.

Also I do remain optimistic that if the policies don't get changed, that at least they will evolve to have some of the better pricing pressures like on steam and the various app stores.

Why would iTunes have gotten similar backlash? Itunes didn't add DRM to CDs or lock them to one CD player, or prevent you from selling the CD's you bought, or require a daily internet connection to listen to your songs. All Itunes does is lock songs you buy from Itunes to one account. That makes perfect sense and is a widely accepted practice across almost all mediums.

milkham

Why would iTunes have gotten similar backlash? Itunes didn't add DRM to CDs or lock them to one CD player, or prevent you from selling the CD's you bought, or require a daily internet connection to listen to your songs. All Itunes does is lock songs you buy from Itunes to one account. That makes perfect sense and is a widely accepted practice across almost all mediums.

itunes music is drm free now isn't it?

But the delivery system is still the same. The game is on the disc. The only thing that changes is what happens after the game is installed to the Xbox One.
The "only thing"? The latter part is a fundamental change to gaming i.e. trying to pretend a physical product is a digital download - it is not.

You can no longer lend your physically purchased game.

You can no longer privately sell your physically purchased game.

You can no longer sell your physically purchased game back to any retail outlet, only to approved retailers and only if a publisher "enables" it.

You can no longer give away your physically purchased game unless the publisher "enables" it.

Every single game on the system will require an internet connection to simply function and is reliant on the persistence of authentication servers.

Telepathy

Banned
It is really amazing how all these vid. game company executives do not understand that they are dealing with GAMERS. This is not like selling detergent or what not. This is GAMERS. Pretty much the most dedicated and well organized consumer base you can imagine. The video game businesses are playing catch up with us. Gamers are the most nerdy and tech savy of all consumer bases (pretty much).

Although, our spokespeople (the journalists) are weak and wannabe game developers. We the gamers, no matter what forum, are not to be underrated. All this talk of GAF not representing the dudebro typical gamer, is wrong. Even though, we are different from the majority of gamers, it is from us, the hardcore that attitudes and trends are setted.

Although, GAF might not be the biggest COD and Madden fans of the world, i still think that it is from us, the dedicated fanatics that the tone is set. We, the hardcore community, were the ones hailing 360 and sinking the PS3, as they were launching.

And although, GAF might represent the absolute extreme of hardcore gaming forums. I think, having the backing of the hardcore gaming community is extremely important and right now MS is lacking that completely.

leadbelly

Banned

First of all, I will point out that they are digital distribution services where the policies implemented are somewhat intrinsic to the nature of the platform. An internet connection is required by default and trading games is problematic.

Having said that, actually yes, there was a substantial backlash to Steam. Funnily enough, it was because of the perception that the client was a DRM measure. It wasn't yet clear at that time what Steam was going to become.

Alright how bout this? This is something I would never do again, but I think it's worth mentioning.

"All of the restrictions of digital."

Since you can't rent Xbox One games at launch (lol), for most people the only way to try a new game is to buy it or download the demo. You enjoyed the demo, but the full game doesn't really hold your interest.

If you purchased the title over Xbox Live (hooray for convenience), it's now yours forever.

But if you had bought that game at a retail store, you can trade that game and get some of your money back.

Really, to me it seems like physical copies are the way to go.

I guess in this way, you could still "rent" games by buying them new and trading in them a week or two later before the resale value drops.

First of all, I will point out that they are digital distribution services where the policies implemented are somewhat intrinsic to the nature of the platform. An internet connection is required by default and trading games is problematic.

Having said that, actually yes, there was a substantial backlash to Steam. Funnily enough it was because of the perception that the client was a DRM measure. It wasn't yet clear at that time what Steam was going to become.

Thinking about things Steam differs from this, one thing is standing out – Valve is actively finding ways of bringing more money into the "game economy" with things like the market and trading cards.

At the moment, all the current One system enables is for publishers to take more money out of the existing games economy.

dancmc

Sorry. I was talking more about the App Store, but there are aspects of iTunes that apply here to my question. Can you legally sell or lend your iTunes music (actually not sure but don't think so)

dancmc

I couldn't find a thread on this Forbes post: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/07/gamestop-president-tony-bartel-promises-seamless-transition-of-xbox-one-used-game-sales/

There are some interesting quotes from Gamestop's CEO: "unlimited trade-in and resale of used games". Is this new?

I think the used game component is completely different from the gifting component. I would assume that the retailers would have a way to reset the ownership status of the game and allow the new owner to sell it back and have it reset again.

Top Bottom