• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

History is being rewritten and a new timeline is being established:
- cross-gen games are great and the next gen versions will look great anyway because engines scale down now, no more “lowest common denominator”;
- it was obvious games were going to be cross gen, you’d have to be an idiot to think otherwise;
- PC ports are great too and do no longer devalue the brand.

We have come a long way in the last 2-3 days for sure.
"Whatever [my favorite company] tells me = good" is unfortunately a common mindset these days.

Bridges

Every numbered Halo besides 3/3: ODST has come out in November, so I don't see why they'd stray from that. I'm sure they'd find something to do in those two extra months given how important this release probably is optics-wise.

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably fake but

GTLyD2.jpg

Alx

Ubisoft sounds too big to be imagined, it's almost twice the worth of Bethesda apparently.
Asobo would be a no-brainer considering their latest proximity, although the studio kept denying they wanted to be bought/exclusive.
Focus Interactive ? Eh, whatever...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably fake but

GTLyD2.jpg
I refuse to believe they’d buy Ubi. Then you look at the IP and it actually starts to make sense. Major western franchises like Rainbow Six and Assassin’s Creed, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon and Ray-Man as an actual mascot who’s probably got more modern day relevance than Sonic.

cormack12

Gold Member
It might just be bullshit about the acquisition but then you look at the gamepass FR tease, the rumours about Ubi+ and the fact Ubi started in France and all the pieces seem to fit

Andodalf

Banned
Probably fake but

GTLyD2.jpg

So the issue I have with Ubi is also the reason I think it might happen. Ubi wants to stay independent. They really do, and we saw them fight hard for that in the face of hostile takeover.

In that light, I can’t see them selling to anybody. BUT, if it was MS or Tencent/Vivendi, I think they’d go MS at the end of the day, so if a hostile takeover was on the way they may go to MS as a last resort.

That said it’s a .00000001% chance

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ubi has a strong collaborative relationship with MS since the original Xbox. Before then they were basically just Rayman and the original Prince of Persia. But the original Xbox and Splinter Cell helped elevate them to where they are now. If they merged with anyone it'd be MS, but this is 4Chan LARPing.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Ubi has a strong collaborative relationship with MS since the original Xbox. Before then they were basically just Rayman and the original Prince of Persia. But the original Xbox and Splinter Cell helped elevate them to where they are now. If they merged with anyone it'd be MS, but this is 4Chan LARPing.

Exactly, this 4 Chan post is fake as hell, but Ubi/Ms is possible in theory. Not happening but could.

Andodalf

Banned
Ubi is very very similar to Bethesda when it comes to a relationship with MS.

I don’t think Ubi is hard up for cash like Beth was. Bethesda had to sell timed exclusivity for financials to work, Ubi isn’t there yet.

Also Todd Howard clearly had a deep connection to MS that I don’t think is reflected by any of the Guillemots

Andodalf

Banned
Ubisoft being acquired is nonsense because EU wouldn't allow that, at best its Uplay/Ubisoft+ on Gamepass.

I don’t see why the EU would have any issue with it. MS hasn’t been fighting the EU on things as hard as Apple and google, and if you think getting Ubi would make Xbox anything even close to a monopoly you’re just silly.

Dane

I don’t see why the EU would have any issue with it. MS hasn’t been fighting the EU on things as hard as Apple and google, and if you think getting Ubi would make Xbox anything even close to a monopoly you’re just silly.
EU can be very picky when it comes to huge companies being bought by foreigners, Microsoft simply tends to play nice when it comes to avoid any court/monopoly complaints after the IE nonsense in the 90s, and Ubisoft is the biggest gaming company there, even if most of its output (and all of their key output) is made in Canada. Reminder that years ago Vivendi tried to take over Ubisoft as they did with Gameloft, but then Ubi made a deal with a canadian pension fund to buy the shares from Vivendi and the takeover was cancelled.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
EU can be very picky when it comes to huge companies being bought by foreigners, Microsoft simply tends to play nice when it comes to avoid any court/monopoly complaints after the IE nonsense in the 90s, and Ubisoft is the biggest gaming company there, even if most of its output (and all of their key output) is made in Canada. Reminder that years ago Vivendi tried to take over Ubisoft as they did with Gameloft, but then Ubi made a deal with a canadian pension fund to buy the shares from Vivendi and the takeover was cancelled.

100% I don’t think Ubi wants to be taken over, but I don’t think the EU would stop it. Their wouldn’t be any more issue than when they bought Beth.

If Disney can buy (most of) Fox, MS can buy Ubi no problem.

Heck they could probably buy Ubi, WB, Sega, Focus, and Sony’s gaming division and be fine as long as they let the hardware team go, If Disney is the standard 😂

Dane

100% I don’t think Ubi wants to be taken over, but I don’t think the EU would stop it. Their wouldn’t be any more issue than when they bought Beth.

If Disney can buy (most of) Fox, MS can buy Ubi no problem.

Heck they could probably buy Ubi, WB, Sega, Focus, and Sony’s gaming division and be fine as long as they let the hardware team go, If Disney is the standard 😂
Disney is an american company buying another american company, Ubi for example could buy Focus and Asobo with no problems because they're also French companies. Bethesda is an american company that was bought by another american company.

Considering that Ubisoft didn't want to be taken over by Vivendi (A french company), why would they want sell themselves now?

Andodalf

Banned
Disney is an american company buying another american company, Ubi for example could buy Focus and Asobo with no problems because they're also French companies. Bethesda is an american company that was bought by another american company.

Considering that Ubisoft didn't want to be taken over by Vivendi (A french company), why would they want sell themselves now?

Again, I don’t think they do, as I have said in like every post today.

Beat the campaign of dying light, wow what a good game! Legit amazing. Very hype for dying light 2.

And honestly.

Wouldn’t hate seeing them get acquired and make a fallout spinoff game
I actually finished the campaign yesterday and it was indeed a very very good game. Looking forward to the 2nd one and all the improvements they're making. I wouldn't say no to Microsoft bringing Techland into the fold, they are legit developers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A bit off topic but Ratchet is 89 on Metacritic, I really hope Psychonauts 2 can smash it and score similarly. I love the genre and we need more strong games in it. Psychonauts 2 looks fantastic from what I’ve seen and I hope it looks stunning on S|X.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Don't know what happened to him.. maybe on the receiving end of some bad karma due to shitty posts like this:

Can't believe that didn't warrant a ban.
Can't say I don't disagree with Concern there. He doesn't know him and all these console warriors do is get on people's nerves, so why should Concern care about them in any way whatsoever?

dcmk7

Banned
Can't say I don't disagree with Concern there. He doesn't know him and all these console warriors do is get on people's nerves, so why should Concern care about them in any way whatsoever?
It's basic human decency.

Because someone prefers another console, we should forget all that now?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yes because that's exactly what I said 🙄
There's a substantial difference between preferring another console, and being a complete dick and ruining people's enjoyment of a message board by constantly console warring shitting up nearly every thread.

The former should absolutely be treated with respect and decency, the latter not so much. Respect is earned, not deserved.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It's basic human decency.

All your post history is antagonizing people, bitching about the XSS (seriously you have page after page of this in every possible thread) and just above the line trolling.

And now you’re calling for decency? How about you take your high horse, pack your concern trolling and just go back to the main section?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
All your post history is antagonizing people, bitching about the XSS (seriously you have page after page of this in every possible thread) and just above the line trolling.

And now you’re calling for decency? How about you take your high horse, pack your concern trolling and just go back to the main section?
Ahh so he's one of those. I shouldn't have wasted my time

DaGwaphics

Can't believe that didn't warrant a ban.

If that post was in reference to someone standing on the ledge of some tall building somewhere, I can see the criticism. However, given the context, it's just a quip about the feelings of a console warrior.

dem

How does Phil not strangle whoever is in charge over at Mojang?
Biggest game in the world and they can't be bothered to do anything with it. Game is still obviously successful... and I know you want to give them space to do what they do.. but jesus christ they do NOTHING.

How is there not a Series update yet?

There should be a Minecraft platformer out there by now. Kids fucking LOVE anything to do with Minecraft. My kids care more about Minecraft than Mario.

Last edited:

elliot5

How does Phil not strangle whoever is in charge over at Mojang?
Biggest game in the world and they can't be bothered to do anything with it. Game is still obviously successful... and I know you want to give them space to do what they do.. but jesus christ they do NOTHING.

How is there not a Series update yet?

There should be a Minecraft platformer out there by now. Kids fucking LOVE anything to do with Minecraft. My kids care more about Minecraft than Mario.
I imagine with Minecraft things move at a snails pace because they have such a legacy to work off of across like 15 platforms and servers they're hosting, etc. Any one change could impact a ton of shit downstream. I imagine that's why the world gen stuff got delayed.

But it is a little ridiculous how the Xbox platform isn't getting special attention when it's their biggest IP and a new console. Nothing on DXR. No enhancement. It's not even on game pass for PC...

Top Bottom