• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
HAD them ().
You see it's temp sales, and I highlighted it's mainly a problem at launch, as local stores get rid of leftover stock by heavily discounting it.

It's at 399.98 with a new game on GameStop.it, but really it's not that wild to say the X1X sold poorly over here. Ebay and the used market are swarming with far cheaper systems (https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=xbox+one+x&_sacat=0).
I don't get why I would be lying about the X1X going cheap, it's rather obvious.

We were talking about new systems. Why would you talk about existing/future SKUs over used consoles? Also, yes it was 200 at one point, those all sold out here in the shithole that is the US.

Amazon I surrender italian link

Mmnow

Google helps!! How paranoid do you have to be to think people would lie about their local X1X prices?
You've lied, exaggerated or twisted for two days straight on a gaming forum in a thread about a console which doesn't officially exist and that we don't know everything about.

If he's paranoid for asking for proof, what the hell does that say about you?

Tulipanzo

I don't see a single listing on eBay that shows it going for $199/$200.

So first it was there's an abundance of them at retail and they go for $200.

But now it's there on eBay for $200. Which they aren't.

Got it.
You sure it doesn't open the US page for you? Second result, 190 euros with the three CODs I mentioned.

Plus, stores running sales around the holidays isn't really a concept to need 'proof', is it? Especially when we've had such sales from MS themselves (which you somehow ignore).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Google helps!! How paranoid do you have to be to think people would lie about their local X1X prices?

And I used Google to show you that you are not even remotely close to your claims.

You sure it doesn't open the US page for you? Second result, 190 euros with the three CODs I mentioned.

Plus, stores running sales around the holidays isn't really a concept to need 'proof', is it? Especially when we've had such sales from MS themselves (which you somehow ignore).

Take a screenshot. Easy proof.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

We were talking about new systems. Why would you talk about existing/future SKUs over used consoles? Also, yes it was 200 at one point, those all sold out here in the shithole that is the US.

Amazon I surrender italian link
Because they're really close in terms of GPU/RAM performance, one however reads discs and has already gone quite cheaper. Thing is, as retailers get rid of leftover stock towards the holidays, that could lead to issues selling a more expensive device with a lower target performance and no disc-drive.

The fact that it's not cheaper at this moment in the US ignores that discounts can and will still happen (it's August after all) and that abroad it's easily available for very cheap already.

Tulipanzo

And I used Google to show you that you are not even remotely close to your claims.
You got redirected to the wrong site, and it's my fault somehow? Everyone else found it easily.

Plus, my claim is that it will get discounted, as has already happened, around the holidays. You disputed that by showing prices before discounts happen being high. Like, yeah, you don't run discounts in August.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
ebay listings are about as reliable as a Zeppeli

You are implying any xbox one x's (new) exist in stock by then. Before the new system launches.

The fact that it's not cheaper at this moment in the US ignores that discounts can and will still happen (it's August after all)
The fact is they haven't produced ANY current gen xbox's since the Cyberpunk edition so this talk about confusing SKU's makes zero sense.

and that abroad it's easily available for very cheap already.
Used or by shady third party sellers going by my google search. But again read above.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You got redirected to the wrong site, and it's my fault somehow? Everyone else found it easily.

Plus, my claim is that it will get discounted, as has already happened, around the holidays. You disputed that by showing prices before discounts happen being high. Like, yeah, you don't run discounts in August.

All you gotta do is take a screen shot. Notice how I took screen captures to prove my point and you didn't? That's how your prove it.

You can't discount consoles you don't have to sell. Retailers do not have them and my proof shows that.

MilkyJoe

I feel that the problem they want to avoid dealing with is the inevitable confusion the Series S will generate, .

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

There are dozens of Samsung TVs on the market at any one time
There are many many different varients of Ford focus on the market
there are a stupid number of iPhone for sale at any one time
there is ALREADY an Xbox model S and X on the market and no one is confused.

It's 2 models, at two very different prices. How stupid do you honestly think people are ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tulipanzo

You've lied, exaggerated or twisted for two days straight on a gaming forum in a thread about a console which doesn't officially exist and that we don't know everything about.

If he's paranoid for asking for proof, what the hell does that say about you?
The original claim is that, at retail, parents will obviously go for the Series S.
This wildly overestimates how much stock people put in resolution, as well as what retailers may be pushing come holiday season. The PS5/Switch are more popular, especially abroad, but leftover cheap X1Xs or XSX with higher commision could be favored.
I pointed out that the X1X was already in heavy discount early this year on MS's own store, and that I could easily find it for $200, so it was reasonable to assume discounts would happen again and that could mess with the nonexistent XSS marketing.

Where's the lie? Discontinued stuff goes on sale every time

CeeJay

The GPU is actually slightly worse than the X1X, even accounting for IPC gains, and it has less RAM. It's why, since X1X is now way cheaper, it can create issues at retail.

Again, people don't really bother that much with resolution, but still, why would you buy a device for the next 7 years that can only do 1080p?
Unless you're telling me people on 1080p sets and no intention to ever upgrade are the kinds to get consoles at launch..
the new consoles are going to be pushing RT. 1080p with RT > 4K without RT. There's your differentiator. I expect Minecraft with RT enabled will be one of the poster boys for the new machines once the marketing push begins.

Tulipanzo

It's 2 models, at two very different prices. How stupid do you honestly think people are ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Notice you immediately jump to a product that's NOT a console to make your case.

Buying habits vary across devices: TVs/cars/phones are much more expensive, and are bought chiefly on a costumer's target price. That's not the case for consoles, which are far cheaper and tend to last much longer than most devices.

A similar name and look was enough to doom the WiiU, so it's not that wild to suggest the XSX/XSS, with similar names, design, game boxes, and no exclusives vs. their predecessors might have problems. Again, it's not the matter of getting the wrong one, but of making a poor case for buying a specific system.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

the new consoles are going to be pushing RT. 1080p with RT > 4K without RT. There's your differentiator. I expect Minecraft with RT enabled will be one of the poster boys for the new machines once the marketing push begins.
Minecraft with RT runs at 1080p 30fps on XSX, so that'll be sub-HD on Lockhart. In general, RT is fine if you can take the bump in res, but XSS can't.
Developers have to come up both with traditional illumination as well as very custom RT when working on wildly different hardware setups, and that takes time. It's why Infinite won't have RT at launch, because it wouldn't work on X1/X1X.

I also feel "just RT" is going to fall crazy flat at retail, if you're selling XSS to non-tech-savvy people.

Schmick

All good points.

Lets be honest, i'm sure there has been some confusion, but my guess that it is a small minority. Although I personally have never heard of confusion regarding the XBS and XBX.

No one talks about the PS5 and PS5 DO. The same minority will likely gets confused with that too. They look almost identical!

CeeJay

Minecraft with RT runs at 1080p 30fps on XSX, so that'll be sub-HD on Lockhart. In general, RT is fine if you can take the bump in res, but XSS can't.
Developers have to come up both with traditional illumination as well as very custom RT when working on wildly different hardware setups, and that takes time. It's why Infinite won't have RT at launch, because it wouldn't work on X1/X1X.

I also feel "just RT" is going to fall crazy flat at retail, if you're selling XSS to non-tech-savvy people.
Does it? I don't remember seeing Minecraft at their XSX show. There was a tech demo a while back running on Nvidia RTX that might have been 1080p perhaps. I am going to have to see receipts for your clam here.

As for the second bolded part, are you out of your mind? RT off / RT on in Minecraft is about as stark a contrast as you can get and I don't see how anyone with eyes couldn't notice a huge difference.

Tulipanzo

Does it? I don't remember seeing Minecraft at their XSX show. There was a tech demo a while back running on Nvidia RTX that might have been 1080p perhaps. I am going to have to see receipts for your clam here.

As for the second bolded part, are you out of your mind? RT off / RT on in Minecraft is about as stark a contrast as you can get and I don't see how anyone with eyes couldn't notice a huge difference.
They showcased it as a demo in early 2020 with their general BC improvements. 1080p on XSX, there's no word on whether the full game will support it.

That would be impressive, but Lockhart can't run it. In fact, a major problem with XSX marketing is how little RT they've shown. The PS5 is much farther ahead on that front.
Still, you're arguing for the Series S by bringing up a tech demo for RT the system can't hope to run as is. Like if UE5 struggled to run at 1080p and I was using it to sell you on a Nintendo Switch.

CeeJay

They showcased it as a demo in early 2020 with their general BC improvements. 1080p on XSX, there's no word on whether the full game will support it.

That would be impressive, but Lockhart can't run it. In fact, a major problem with XSX marketing is how little RT they've shown. The PS5 is much farther ahead on that front.
Still, you're arguing for the Series S by bringing up a tech demo for RT the system can't hope to run as is. Like if UE5 struggled to run at 1080p and I was using it to sell you on a Nintendo Switch.
Early 2020 tech demo says it all. Hell, they weren't even running stuff on the XSX at their recent show so what makes you think that a 1080p tech demo earlier on this year is representative of the final product if even running on the XSX natively at all?

Minecraft already runs 4k on the One X, do you really think that the XSX will perform exactly the same without RT and then when RT is turned on it will have to drop to 1080p? I am sorry but all this concern trolling is getting ridiculous, it really is very simple!

Xbox One S - 1080p no RT
Xbox One X - 4k no RT

Xbox Series S - 1080p with RT
Xbox Series X - 4k with RT

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Early 2020 tech demo says it all. Hell, they weren't even running stuff on the XSX at their recent show so what makes you think that a 1080p tech demo earlier on this year is representative of the final product if even running on the XSX natively at all?

Minecraft already runs 4k on the One X, do you really think that the XSX will perform exactly the same without RT and then when RT is turned on it will have to drop to 1080p? I am sorry but all this concern trolling is getting ridiculous, it really is very simple!

Xbox One S - 1080p no RT
Xbox One X - 4k no RT

Xbox Series S - 1080p with (very limited) RT
Xbox Series X - 4k with (some) RT (effects)
Because they distributed and advertised it as being representative, and it's a tech demo, i.e. it's meant to show the tech's capability.
It's the info they gave DF and everyone else.

Full RT is computationally expensive, and RT in general needs bespoke optimization. Minecraft full RT, even at 1080p is a really good result!!!
You're getting yourself tied up in console wars by pretending these systems will do better with no basis in reality.

Riky

$MSFT
I presume Series S is more powerful than PS4 Pro and that wasn't stuck at 1080p, I would expect 1440p and maybe 1080p later in the gen as X gets pushed.

Why do people think it will be just 1080p?

you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.

This...THIS is a fucking answer. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Notice you immediately jump to a product that's NOT a console to make your case.

Buying habits vary across devices: TVs/cars/phones are much more expensive, and are bought chiefly on a costumer's target price. That's not the case for consoles, which are far cheaper and tend to last much longer than most devices.

A similar name and look was enough to doom the WiiU, so it's not that wild to suggest the XSX/XSS, with similar names, design, game boxes, and no exclusives vs. their predecessors might have problems. Again, it's not the matter of getting the wrong one, but of making a poor case for buying a specific system.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tulipanzo

I presume Series S is more powerful than PS4 Pro and that wasn't stuck at 1080p, I would expect 1440p and maybe 1080p later in the gen as X gets pushed.

Why do people think it will be just 1080p?
Because MS refuses to talk about it at 3 months from release. If TF scale with resolution, then it's not powerful enough for 1440p if 12TF give you 4K.

Furthermore, developers disliked it to the point MS pretended to cancel it around E3 2019, and negative rumours have surrounded it since we first heard about it, so people aren't that optimistic.

If you think consoles work like phones then you're deluded

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Because MS refuses to talk about it at 3 months from release. If TF scale with resolution, then it's not powerful enough for 1440p if 12TF give you 4K.

Furthermore, developers disliked it to the point MS pretended to cancel it around E3 2019, and negative rumours have surrounded it since we first heard about it, so people aren't that optimistic.

If you think consoles work like phones then you're deluded

tenor.gif

Top Bottom