• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X, BC to bring HDR and 60/120 FPS

Esppiral

Maybe they will disable the v-blank in the emulador and that's how they get 60 fps, some games play perfectly that way in emulators like Xenia (Xbox 360) RPCS3 (PlayStation 3) and CXBX-R (Original Xbox)

TBiddy

:rolleyes: look... want to have fun in your group fine or maybe present yourself as the independent arbiter, but do not treat others like idiots and accuse others of being passive aggressive trying to stir shit up.

I'm not in any group, and I'm not treating anyone like idiots. Just like most other people on this forum (myself included) you also post passive aggressive shit from time to time. You try to hide it by using smileys - I don't. This'll be my last post on this matter. The thread is already derailed (since someone thought it necessary to start talking about Sony) , and there's no need to derail it any further.

Last edited:
dude... if they're able to get all past gen games to run at 60-120fps it's fucking over for Sony. I'm a Sony pony till I die but that's just too fucking good to pass up for most gamers. I'll be heading back to PC for my main platform and get a PS5 at a later time but I see Sony losing a ton of sales to the XSX if they can't compete.

You realize that the vast majority of the public couldn't care less about 60fps, let alone 120fps? Exclusives, yeah they care about that as PS4 sales have shown.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You realize that the vast majority of the public couldn't care less about 60fps, let alone 120fps? Exclusives, yeah they care about that as PS4 sales have shown.
If they only cared about exclusives Nintendo would not be hand held only these days. It's the whole package where Sony shines. They have exclusives, hardware, services, third party support, ect. No one else can put together the whole package consistently.

T-Cake

Double framerate from 30 to 60 is huge. Definitely a big selling point for BC.

I wonder what games are going to get this treatment though. Xbox has talked about features but we have no idea which games are going to get enhanced further than they run on Xbox One X.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder what games are going to get this treatment though. Xbox has talked about features but we have no idea which games are going to get enhanced further than they run on Xbox One X.
I think those already enhanced is somewhat certainty.

Soodanim

The idea of even some games getting enhanced is pretty huge, on the level of PC running old games at modern refresh rates and resolutions. If Microsoft manage that for any notable games and market it they could do themselves some favours. Imagine taking your favourite Forza and playing it at 120fps.

Kuranghi

HDR thats handcrafted by the devs and considered in the art pipeline from the start is often disappointing, let alone added at the end of developement or even post launch. I'd imagine HDR done automaticially would be pretty cruddy and about as good as dynamic tonemapping in modern TVs, and maybe not even as good as most implementations of it.

People who purport themselves as hobbyist-semi-experts in HDR implementation like EvilBoris (who has worked with Moon Studios recently on the Ori 2 PC HDR patch) produce their own HDR content that looks like total crap to me and I really hope they don't become the arbiters of what HDR should be in games. I just stopped watching his HDR conversions because they either look really gaudy and overdone or have weird issues that apparently look normal on his setup. Check out his last few vids where he has converted next-gen trailers that are SDR to HDR by converted the colour space and increasing the dynamic range, they look horrible to me and he is doing this by hand on a (presumably) shot-by-shot basis:

Here is one of the headscratcher shots for me (This is over on Vincent Teoh's HDTVtest channel instead of Boris' youtube channel), he says there is a problem with overbrightening here and it makes it everything too bright... he doesn't mention that all the colours are completely fucked up and oversaturated and the image just generally looks awful, maybe he didn't see that on his end and its a problem with the final video output? I've seen him say that this sort of image looks "good" more than a few times now and I just can't take him seriously now because of that:

What I'm trying to say is that this part of the video is so different to everything else he shows that it looks to me to be an actual problem with the output and something went wrong there for it to look like that, but he seems to think thats just how the game should look in that scene, puzzling to me. If I saw that image after having seen the flatter image from the rest of the video for the whole game I would immediately assume the output was wrong or the TV hadn't switched to HDR properly, its just not correct imo.

I was very disapppointed with the Ori 2 HDR and kinda confused as to what they were going for with the default settings, they looks absolutely awful to me and I tried to ask EB and one of the lead devs about it directly on the other forum but their answers were completely non-specific and generally not useful so I just gave up and played it in SDR after a month.

Below are my screenshots to show how fucked up the contrast is at default settings, it nearly looked correct at the minimum value of 0.5 but I still needed it to go lower to not look like bad tonemapping of SDR and they didn't really help me out with my "problem" in any way. Its like they made the default settings for really low contrast IPS panel TVs and if you have a really bright FALD you are just shit out of luck. If you look at the 2nd picture you can see how the shadows are crushed and highlights totally blown out at default contrast setting of 1.0 and then in the 3rd pic its better, with a less flat image than the SDR pic but it still has a loss of shadow detail and slightly blown out highlights that I don't get at all on SDR:

I find that really weird since I know EvilBoris owns an OLED so presume he did most if not all of his testing on that. I imagine the default setting of 1.0 for contrast would make the shadows very hard to see in a lit room on an OLED, plus the fact that my FALD will be elevating those shadows a bit due to the limitations of the tech not being able to show the true brightness level of the those pixels. He did say in one of the replies that he uses the minimum contrast value of 0.5 like I settled on which begs the questions, why wouldn't you increase the range if your sweet spot was the min value? I'm so bloody confused.

TL;DR - HDR is hard to get right when you do it by hand, auto-HDR will most likely suck imo. I found some HDR lacking in recent games and tried to ask HDR enthusiasts and devs who worked on the games why I was seeing what I was seeing and their answers were either lacking or milquetoast. You know when you are talking to someone about something technical and then you point something out and they can't explain why its wrong or argue that there isn't a problem and you think "hmm, maybe this person doesn't know as much as I thought they did" lol.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Adding HDR support to old titles is something I am really curious to test out for myself. That sounds like an impressive feature. Also curious to find out how many titles end up getting 30 to 60 fps boosts and whatnot. Definitely going to be a lot of new content from all the tech channels providing analysis.
You don't really expect it to have a proper HDR? Just more saturation added. Nothing more.

Roberts

I was wondering how this 30 to 60 fps conversion is going to work (considering they are not fiddling with code)? I can understand the camera will get smoother, but what about animations? Some games have very low animation framerate for characters in the background - will that stay the same?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was wondering how this 30 to 60 fps conversion is going to work (considering they are not fiddling with code)? I can understand the camera will get smoother, but what about animations? Some games have very low animation framerate for characters in the background - will that stay the same?

It is going to be on a game-by-game basis, like the One X enhancements today. Many games, especially ones with PC versions, are quite capable of running at 60fps. I played the PC versions of games like Bioshock Infinite and TR2013 at 60fps at release, stuff like that.

Top Bottom