• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X constrained by 'must also work on Xbox One' decree

E-Cat

Gold Member
Uh, this has already been addressed multiple times, and the consensus is that, there's not too big an issue to worry about. Graphics will be scalable, so will physics, enemy count, A.I, etc. It'll be like developing on PC but with even more precision over how things can scale.

I still personally don't think XBO or the X (or really, anything outside of XSX and PC) need native ports; just use Xcloud & Gamepass and that should do well enough. BUT, I also see how when you think about it, cross-gen support in the way MS wants to do it at least for this year and most of next is feasible without holding back the upper end.

Plus, it gives consumers more choice overall, so I guess that's a good thing.
"Wherever you have an order of magnitude performance difference, you can't really scale.

We can scale down in performance by a factor of three by going to a low resolution, dropping some textures, and things like that. But to scale by a factor of 10 -- you can't design a game with 10 times the detail and then scale it back to something that looks decent on the consoles. You'd end up looking much worse than a console game that was just designed for the console specs."

- Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic

My choice will be the non-gimped, true next-gen console.

Aion002

Like... that's their fucking problem.

They want to sell the game to the most people as possible. Blaming the consoles is the dumbest thing ever..... the problem is not the PS4 or the One.... It's them, if you can't make the game run in acceptable condition... well, you fucked up. They always had the specs of PS4 and One.... they are the only ones to blame.

Don't think they can handle it? Don't release on it.

People trying to blame the current gen consoles are silly. Also, those who believe that MS will force this decree on third party.... that's not gonna happen. If they choose to release on One.... well they for chose money.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It isn't just about load times. It directly influences the kind of game you're able to design.

The xbox's internal hard drive gave it a huge advantage over ps2 and gamecube, basically allowing it to work as a cache for games like Halo or Morrowind. One of the only huge pain in the assess for devs in the 360 generation that ps3 had a big advantage over, was that not every 360 was guaranteed to have a hard drive. You often had performance or streaming issues if you didn't have a hard drive, and some games flat out required the hard drive later in the generation. This isn't a dissimilar issue going forward for XBSX. Super fast SSD's wont eliminate load times, but they will raise the ceiling for what kinds of worlds and experiences devs can create.

Well i hope i'm wrong with this but good luck with getting anything remotely as ambitious as that on PS5 in the 1st year.
From what iv'e seen of Godfall that could be done on a PS4 with lower settings, dare i say maybe even PS3/360.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

And there it is folks, concern trolling at its finest!

Don't feed us the bullshit that the reason you're choosing one console over the other is because one is being gimped, when you already made up your mind long go and are just looking to spread concern when there's none.

So now Xbox Series X is not a true next-gen console? If rumors are true, it may be 30% more powerful than PS5, also have SSD for seamless load times and a heavily upgraded CPU, so in your definition, the lesser capable console with similar features is the only TRUE next gen console? GTFOH, now you're just trolling.

E-Cat

Gold Member
And there it is folks, concern trolling at its finest!

Don't feed us the bullshit that the reason you're choosing one console over the other is because one is being gimped, when you already made up your mind long go and are just looking to spread concern when there's none.
You don't know that. And, in any case, it's irrelevant to the topic.

So now Xbox Series X is not a true next-gen console? If rumors are true, it may be 30% more powerful than PS5, also have SSD for seamless load times and a heavily upgraded CPU, so in your definition, the lesser capable console with similar features is the only TRUE next gen console? GTFOH, now you're just trolling.
Don't get me wrong, the console itself is next-gen. I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize I meant "effectively gimped through Xbox One forward-compatibility". This is not some trivial concern, either; unless you can explain to me how a near order-of-magnitude factor in power can be scaled to where it's not an issue (and do it more convincingly than Tim Sweeney).

But not the PS4 which is barely spec’d out higher lol
If you look at the current state of xbox one ports (base or S) you will understand why, in many situations the PS4 is almost twice as fast (it pushes a better resolution at better frame rates)...for all we know this game runs at 720p/900p on the base PS4 at ~25fps, which would potentially make it completely broken on the base xbox one.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think this will last for too long. It's just a final marketing attempt to make people feel "safe" into buying an XB1S/X now (and during the months before and a few months after series X launches) and then MS will pull-out the plug of cross-gen development at least for their exclusives.At best they will release one/two exclusives to the older systems and thats it. This is just bait to make people buy ANY XB1 console in order to make them try and invest in Gamepass.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
It's the first year and only exclusives. We don't even know if they will stick to it. How many games were cross gen the first year this gen? like all of them. I think the only game I played on my PS4 for the first year was Destiny.

You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.

E-Cat

Gold Member
I don't think this will last for too long. It's just a final marketing attempt to make people feel "safe" into buying an XB1S/X now (and during the months before and a few months after series X launches) and then MS will pull-out the plug of cross-gen development at least for their exclusives.At best they will release one/two exclusives to the older systems and thats it. This is just bait to make people buy ANY XB1 console in order to make them try and invest in Gamepass.
On the other hand, it will make people buying an Xbox Series X feel unsafe. Not sure that's a winning strategy.

Journey

Banned
You don't know that. And, in any case, it's irrelevant to the topic.

Don't get me wrong, the console itself is next-gen. I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize I meant "effectively gimped through Xbox One forward-compatibility". This is not some trivial concern, either; unless you can explain to me how a near order-of-magnitude factor in power can be scaled to where it's not an issue (and do it more convincingly than Tim Sweeney).

1) This only applies to Xbox Game Studio and select games

2) Its a temporary measure, we've seen this sort of transition before ie. Forza Horizon 2 was on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, then the next Forza Horizon was on just Xbox One.

3)What Tim Sweeney said can apply to affecting the Xbox One version via having a game with sub 30fps and other problems, doesn't mean the scaling will affect the top console, case in point Cyberpunk77 for PC not being the issue in this topic, but the previous gen consoles having the problem.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Journey Journey don't even bother man, some people have drank the cool aid and have no idea what they are even on about at this point. These are the same people who think the Switch isn't really any good because of its power, even though bang for buck its already up there with the best games of the generation...

E-Cat

Gold Member
1) This only applies to Xbox Game Studio and select games

2) Its a temporary measure, we've seen this sort of transition before ie. Forza Horizon 2 was on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, then the next Forza Horizon was on just Xbox One.

3)What Tim Sweeney said can apply to affecting the Xbox One version via having a game with sub 30fps and other problems, doesn't mean the scaling will affect the top console, case in point Cyberpunk77 for PC not being the issue in this topic, but the previous gen consoles having the problem.
1) AKA the exclusive games that are supposed to flex the new console's capabilities.

2) Well, I would certainly hope so. But it's just bad optics to make it a central marketing point; and also quite unprecedented, I don't remember a similar push during previous generational transitions. MS are essentially self-FUD'ing here.

3) If you do that, you are eliminating the whole raison d'être of trying to appeal to the previous-gen console owners in the first place! To my mind, it can also mean making the Series X version less ambitious by wanting to hit that 30 fps on X1.

Journey Journey don't even bother man, some people have drank the cool aid and have no idea what they are even on about at this point. These are the same people who think the Switch isn't really any good because of its power, even though bang for buck its already up there with the best games of the generation...
Why are you making it out to be a zero-sum game between having power vs good games?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Counter question, why are you so sure the PlayStation 5 will save the world from aids and world hunger and not the xbox series x? I mean, seriously. Your whole argument essentially boils down to "it must be shit because it has to run 3 games on older hardware as well", and in those games, gameplay isn't an issue, graphics is. So, since when did graphics make a good game? You are pretty much trashing an entire console and its life cycle because it will be releasing at most barely a handful of games on older hardware as well.

Its a stupid argument that has no basis on reality.

Journey

Banned
How about we put your preferred piece of plastic to the side for now and focus on what makes real gamers excited about an upcoming generation.

1) The power and features of the new console. Sure, it's still all about the games, but we're excited about what Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, etc., will be doing with this new powerful hardware they have in their hands.

2)The second thing we're excited about is looking at those initial creations. Nothing like seeing snippets of what future games could potentially look like. As a gamer, I get all giddy reading the spec's and looking at the different projects and sneak peaks we've been getting.

So to summarize, we've seen a seak peak of what the hardware might look like, pretty exciting when looking at Xbox Series X going all in spec wise, then looking at Hellblade 2 and ray tracing visuals from Ninja Theory for project Mara.

So far I've only seen reasons to be excited, and I'll give you all the credit if we see some samples of a game that looks underwhelming because it had to be brought to Xbox One, but I haven't seen that, and neither have you, so can we stop complaining about something we haven't even encountered yet? this is quite hysterical. Cyberpunk77 Xbox One and PS4 versions are suffering, not the PC version, same could apply to Xbox Series X where it's the older Xbox One that's suffering, so why concern yourself over that? makes no sense, unless you're just concern trolling.

E-Cat

Gold Member
Counter question, why are you so sure the PlayStation 5 will save the world from aids and world hunger and not the xbox series x? I mean, seriously. Your whole argument essentially boils down to "it must be shit because it has to run 3 games on older hardware as well", and in those games, gameplay isn't an issue, graphics is. So, since when did graphics make a good game? You are pretty much trashing an entire console and its life cycle because it will be releasing at most barely a handful of games on older hardware as well.

MS and Sony first-party innovation has traditionally relied heavily on power, they're not like Nintendo in that sense. I just think it's a dumb strategy, and not likely to win mindshare from hardcore gamers early on in the generation. Just think back to how Kinect negatively affected the Xbox brand this gen. Initial perception is everything, and will be the decisive factor of the next-gen console wars.

I guess things could be salvaged somewhat after the X1 compatibility is cut later on, but by then it might be too late.

How about we put your preferred piece of plastic to the side for now and focus on what makes real gamers excited about an upcoming generation.

1) The power and features of the new console. Sure, it's still all about the games, but we're excited about what Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, etc., will be doing with this new powerful hardware they have in their hands.

2)The second thing we're excited about is looking at those initial creations. Nothing like seeing snippets of what future games could potentially look like. As a gamer, I get all giddy reading the spec's and looking at the different projects and sneak peaks we've been getting.

So to summarize, we've seen a seak peak of what the hardware might look like, pretty exciting when looking at Xbox Series X going all in spec wise, then looking at Hellblade 2 and ray tracing visuals from Ninja Theory for project Mara.

So far I've only seen reasons to be excited, and I'll give you all the credit if we see some samples of a game that looks underwhelming because it had to be brought to Xbox One, but I haven't seen that, and neither have you, so can we stop complaining about something we haven't even encountered yet? this is quite hysterical. Cyberpunk77 Xbox One and PS4 versions are suffering, not the PC version, same could apply to Xbox Series X where it's the older Xbox One that's suffering, so why concern yourself over that? makes no sense, unless you're just concern trolling.
I mean, this topic is all about speculation. I'm not super invested in the outcome either way, tbh. I just find it fun.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This reminds me of when Xbox one x was all about backwards compatibility, and certain people were adamant that it was a shit tier feature because who the fuck wants to play old games. Now that PS5 is onboard the Bc train, it’s suddenly the best thing on the world.

And if Sony were doing this same thing, you can bet your arse people would be lapping it up.

The sad truth is, every single generation at launch has a period of time where games are cross gen. This is no different.

Just enjoy the bloody games and stop harping on about it, it’s cray cray boyos.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
MS and Sony first-party innovation has traditionally relied heavily on power, they're not like Nintendo in that sense. I just think it's a dumb strategy, and not likely to win mindshare from hardcore gamers early on in the generation. Just think back to how Kinect negatively affected the Xbox brand this gen. Initial perception is everything, and will be the decisive factor of the next-gen console wars.

I guess things could be salvaged somewhat after the X1 compatibility is cut later on, but by then it might be too late.

One more time everybody!

This is a couple of games!

For like, a year!

MAYBE!

Good lord above. I don’t know about you but when I buy a console I buy it for the potential of what it will deliver over its lifetime, not what it will do day one.

Shmunter

Likely an insider, with the upswing on the down-low

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

We all know graphics matters only when talking about OG Xbox, Xbox 360 but only until 2011 or so, Xbox One X, ...and the XSX is pending final data published and devs response before we can decide whether graphics matter or not ;).

I am not sure anyone has put the PS5 on that pedestal while on the other side we go from generation exclusives matter to generation exclusives do not matter and are anti consumers to it only affects first party to only for one year and back to generation exclusives matter again...

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Those exact benefits are exactly what can add detail.

Envisage a game set in a house. Current gen likely needs to hold multiple rooms in ram, it simply is not capable of bringing in assets for each room fast enough when you cross the doorway. Next gen with a multi gig read/sec capable SSD, each room can be loaded on demand fast enough, therefore each single room allocating more of the ram can have much more detail than in the past.

Pure speculation, but doesn’t take much to envisage such possibilities.
SSDs are fast but not instant. The rooms would still need to be loaded and stored in ram, if you are gonna go to multiple rooms with no loading.

Shmunter

SSDs are fast but not instant. The rooms would still need to be loaded and stored in ram, if you are gonna go to multiple rooms with no loading.
Not instant, but potentially fast enough., I.e 2-3gig of new assets in 1 sec. You walk into the room, the lights blink, done.

DaMonsta

Well,he said one thing, but he is doing the opposite. Think what you will, but the series X will see xbone X level of improvement (superficial).
I’d love to come back to this post once the consoles release, and for you to show me the true next gen things being done only in Sony games while every other dev does not do them.

This is not saying much about the competition, but they either are limiting themselves in purpose or the games they had in the pipeline were designed for low processing power to begin with and they decided that this would be their lineup for early in the generation at least (basically no games for the new system for at least a full year).
two unlikely scenarios, you made up based on your obvious disdain for the company.

This is not what I have seen in this game, maybe you saw or played something different. And there are much more impressive physics demos running on GPUs from years ago (the 1070 isn't exactly new by now).

I mean with what "xbox" has delivered lately I don't get why people just take their word for it when someone from MS is talking about videogames.
Again your opinion doesn’t matter. The tech is quantifiable.

DaMonsta

Not instant, but potentially fast enough., I.e 2-3gig of new assets in 1 sec. You walk into the room, the lights blink, done.
It doesn’t take even 1 sec to walk through a door. That’s still too slow.

Do not think of an SSD as an extension of ram. It is not.

I’d love to come back to this post once the consoles release, and for you to show me the true next gen things being done only in Sony games while every other dev does not do them.
Sony is something else, I don't think they should mandate all games to be made only for next gen (some games genuinely don't require much processing power, these games should be cross gen).... However, I expect games like The Last of Us 2 to receive some superficial improvements (à la series X) via patches, while we receive dedicated next gen games on the other side, the question is, will a game that could have worked on the base PS4 be forced into being a PS5 exclusive for no real technical reason?

I mean, the Battletoad game probably won't be hurt by this decision, same if they release another Killer Instinct, more particles in your explosions won't affect the gameplay... not will better shadows, AA, resolution, Raytracing effects, etc. However, if they need better physics, AI, much more densely detailed world, etc. well maybe the xbone will limit the scope of some big AAA projects, or just an indie game that relies deeply on systems that require a lot of logic processing, or huge amount of data.
Again your opinion doesn’t matter. The tech is quantifiable.
Show me the numbers, they are useless if the results are not there... I don't think they had magic GPUs in those servers, sorry to break this to you.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned

again. Nothing is gimped here. Epic games or any other third party dev is free to develop exclusive for Xbox series X. It’s only for Xbox studios and that’s it.
Also, for the first year of the release of the console, is there any game that will fully use the console? No way. It always has been like that.

DaMonsta

Sony is something else, I don't think they should mandate all games to be made only for next gen (some games genuinely don't require much processing power, these games should be cross gen).... However, I expect games like The Last of Us 2 to receive some superficial improvements (à la series X) via patches, while we receive dedicated next gen games on the other side, the question is, will a game that could have worked on the base PS4 be forced into being a PS5 exclusive for no real technical reason?

I mean, the Battletoad game probably won't be hurt by this decision, same if they release another Killer Instinct, more particles in your explosions won't affect the gameplay... not will better shadows, AA, resolution, Raytracing effects, etc. However, if they need better physics, AI, much more densely detailed world, etc. well maybe the xbone will limit the scope of some big AAA projects, or just an indie game that relies deeply on systems that require a lot of logic processing, or huge amount of data.
Sony will be the only developer making “next gen only” games. So the benefits of keeping those games off PS4 better be clear and apparent, because all other games will work on a wide range of hardware.

Show me the numbers, they are useless if the results are not there... I don't think they had magic GPUs in those servers, sorry to break this to you.
They didn’t have magic, they had multiple GPUs/CPUs reserved for each individual user.

Shmunter

again. Nothing is gimped here. Epic games or any other third party dev is free to develop exclusive for Xbox series X. It’s only for Xbox studios and that’s it.
Also, for the first year of the release of the console, is there any game that will fully use the console? No way. It always has been like that.
Are they free to dev for Series X? Do we have confirmation MS will have a specific XSX area in the storefront, as well as Series X retail boxes? There was no freedom for OneX exclusives I presume, how do we know this will be different with MS?

I’m still at a loss how MS is planning all this, and why their console naming convention seems to be almost counter generational.

Last edited:

bilderberg

I really don't know why you're so skeptical. Every new generation has had games at launch or within a year offer "next gen experiences." There's always been a precedent that new consoles bring forth an expectation of games not possible previously, and you're acting like microsofts approach with XBSX is just the norm.

Why is this such a big deal? Going by the timeline laid out in that interview, we’re talking at most, about 14 months into the consoles life. That’s the “worst” case scenario. This only applies to first party titles, so how many games is that going to be exactly?

Can you imagine if this had happened this gen? My god we’d have missed out on extremely impressive gen defining powerhouse games like Knack and Ryse and Killzone and uh... guess that’s it? Wow.

I don’t know why it’s just assumed that MS couldn’t do what they did with Horizon 2? Or what they are doing with Flight Sim? Or what was done with Battlefield last gen or Shadow of Mordor? They had features and elements on the new consoles that were next gen exclusive. Supporting a previous console doesnt mean the game automatically suffers.

Plus if the games are good, people don’t give a shit. Look at Destiny. People loved the game, no one cared it was cross gen. I also don’t remember anyone caring that LBP3 was cross gen and afaik had feature parity.

They didn’t have magic, they had multiple GPUs/CPUs reserved for each individual user.
That would make no economical sense, and for all the effort it doesn't show in the results, so is there some performance problem with their setup?

Anyways, if you think about it, it was probably multiple CPUs/GPUs for each instances, so for a multiplayer game there would be 1 system making all the physics calculation and that would serve the same coordinate data to all players in it (so in the end we may have less than one GPU/CPU per player).

I doubt we will see cloud based physics ever again, at least outside games streaming services where the system itself is "cloud based".

DaMonsta

I really don't know why you're so skeptical. Every new generation has had games at launch or within a year offer "next gen experiences." There's always been a precedent that new consoles bring forth an expectation of games not possible previously, and you're acting like microsofts approach with XBSX is just the norm.
It is the norm. Previous generations of hardware were always supported until a technical or financial wall is hit. Cross gen games are the norm. It’s just that in the past that wall was hit a lot sooner, sometimes at launch

The SNES literally could not do what the N64 could do. So there was launch games that reflected this reality.

In the present hardware and tools are iterative. There’s no actual graphics/physics or development technique that can be done on next gen that can’t be done on last gen, or at least turned off.

There’s no reason to exclude last gen other than to promote hardware.

3rd parties will make cross gen games, just like they did at the start of this gen. So that will leave Sony as the sole developer excluding last gen ports. If this “cross gen holds games back” narrative is true. The benefits should be clear and glaring from day one.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

That would make no economical sense, and for all the effort it doesn't show in the results, so is there some performance problem with their setup?

Anyways, if you think about it, it was probably multiple CPUs/GPUs for each instances, so for a multiplayer game there would be 1 system making all the physics calculation and that would serve the same coordinate data to all players in it (so in the end we may have less than one GPU/CPU per player).

I doubt we will see cloud based physics ever again, at least outside games streaming services where the system itself is "cloud based".
No. Go read some info on it. Your understanding is all wrong.

bilderberg

It is the norm. Previous generations of hardware were always supported until a technical or financial wall is hit. Cross gen games are the norm. It’s just that in the past that wall was hit a lot sooner, sometimes at launch
you're making two different arguments. There's never been a precedent that first party titles would whole sale support two generations at once for years to come. That's just never happened.

In the present hardware and tools are iterative. There’s no actual graphics/physics or development technique that can be done on next gen that can’t be done on last gen, or at least turned off.
that sounds like total bullshit. The difference in cpu power alone can completely transform how you design your game that isn't fixed by just turning shadows to low or whatever. You couldn't just turn off or scale the physics down in HL2 for example if you really wanted it to run on a ps2. You're talking about changing the game at a fundamental level at that point.

DaMonsta

you're making two different arguments. There's never been a precedent that first party titles would whole sale support two generations at once for years to come. That's just never happened.
Thats not what your post said.

Yes, that’s a new precedent as Microsoft has decided not to exclude last gen hardware in order to promote next gen.

that sounds like total bullshit. The difference in cpu power alone can completely transform how you design your game that isn't fixed by just turning shadows to low or whatever. You couldn't just turn off or scale the physics down in HL2 for example if you really wanted it to run on a ps2. You're talking about changing the game at a fundamental level at that point.
It’s not bullshit. We have real life examples of games being built to take full advantage of very powerful hardware, and we see how that can be scaled down.

Im at a loss trying to understand what these amazing new things are, that will appear when mid level PC parts get put in dedicated game boxes.

No. Go read some info on it. Your understanding is all wrong.
The portion that can't be done on a local GPU is the sharing of destruction data, saying something like "nothing like this is possible on a single GPU" is an opinion, this is not a technical fact.

Have you seen the city destruction demo from Unreal engine 4?
3rd parties will make cross gen games, just like they did at the start of this gen. So that will leave Sony as the sole developer excluding last gen ports. If this “cross gen holds games back” narrative is true. The benefits should be clear and glaring from day one.
Hopefully, but this is not what the thread is all about (however Sony's first party PS5 exclusives could very well be our only point of reference, so hopefully they deliver some meaningful improvements compared to cross gen titles).

Journey

Banned
This is what happens when you make a game "Only on PS5"

Hellblade 2 doesn't hold a candle to this masterpiece!

Damn you MS and your stupid ideas!

DaMonsta

The portion that can't be done on a local GPU is the sharing of destruction data, saying something like "nothing like this is possible on a single GPU" is an opinion, this is not a technical fact.

Have you seen the city destruction demo from Unreal engine 4?

Hopefully, but this is not what the thread is all about (however Sony's first party PS5 exclusives could very well be our only point of reference, so hopefully they deliver some meaningful improvements compared to cross gen titles).
Like I said, go read about it. What you are saying here is all wrong.

Kumomeme

Obviously there will be a point where it’s no longer viable to make cross gen games. Either the vision had to be compromised too much or time spent to get it working is no longer worth it.

That’s how it’s always worked. Not sure why this topic is causing so much confusion and controversy.
dont forget last gen, how devs complaining alot about how ps360 which is 7 years old held back tech advancement

the people confused are those who believe lesser platform wont hold back stronger platform, those believe in magic of 'scalablity' although behind the scene devs actually crunch like crazy..im here trying to clear all up.Nothing controversy here.Just trying to state a fact.

Also, im enjoying discussing here with fellow gamers.. no offense guys

Last edited:
This is what happens when you make a game "Only on PS5"

Hellblade 2 doesn't hold a candle to this masterpiece!

Damn you MS and your stupid ideas!

Woah, is PS5 going to have 19TF of power? Need a Step Brothers mygodthatsimpressive gif

Imagine how bad it would look cross gen

tenor.gif

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
How many games does this even realistically affect? There are like two AAA games from Xbox Games Studios a year. A year. So four games will actually maybe suffer from this. The rest (I think they are targeting a first party release every three months) won't suffer at all, they aren't built like that. And there's always the possibility they just pay a studio to do a port. Like they did with Horizon 2.

DaMonsta

dont forget last gen, how devs complaining alot about how ps360 which is 7 years old held back tech advancement
Who? Which devs said this?

the people confused are those who believe lesser platform wont hold back stronger platform, those believe in magic of 'scalablity' although behind the scene devs actually crunch like crazy..im here trying to clear all up.Nothing controversy here.Just trying to state a fact.

Also, im enjoying discussing here with fellow gamers.. no offense guys
Scalability is an easily demonstrable thing we can see in games right now.

Only controversy is people claiming there’s some magical thing next gen consoles will do, that PC hardware has been unable to over the last couple years.

I Keep asking what these things are, but can’t get an answer.

So what are these magical things Sony games will do that no other games will?

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Only controversy is people claiming there’s some magical thing next gen consoles will do, that PC hardware has been unable to over the last couple years.

They think that theoretical SSD values are real life speeds.

Kumomeme

If you follow the story backthen, you now it...lot of devs complain that ps360 gen dragged too long..thats why after start of this gen, sony and ms aiming to not overdrag the generation again , 5 year cycle is most efficient one, well although currently exceed that

I keep repeating how console always be minimum baseline for game design despite pc has stronger hardware

also, pc hardware always had edge in raw power than consoles..there no pc that running with intel atom cpu while xb1 basically pc with intel atom and hd7790 while ps4 with hd7870..pay attention to pc games minimum requirement

I already keep repeating, elaborate stuff that might not possible on current gen, cpu, storage side wise aside gpu etc, over and over again

I answer this by repeated above bolded statement.

Also, im not talking exclusively about sony here..but both for ps5 and xbox series x as whole, as both had will end up had similliar design architecture wise , if we can trust insider said...both having jump in cpu, storage and gpu wise, not just sony...both getting proper ryzen desktop cpu, both are getting ssd, both will have devs no more constrained by intel atom level of cpu and below 500mbs hdd speed and i keep repeating how previous platform that had non of these wont easily scale it especially if the game designed by these advantage from ground up at first place

Last edited:

DaMonsta

If you follow the story backthen, you now it...lot of devs complain that ps360 gen dragged too long..thats why after start of this gen, sony and ms aiming to not overdrag the generation again , 5 year cycle is most efficient one, well although currently exceed that
Again, which devs? quote them.

From what I can see one of the most popular and advanced 360 games GTAV, is also one of the most advanced and popular X1 games.

Sony and Microsoft aimed to not over drag generations by releasing mid gen refreshes and making this gen longer?

How does that work?

I keep repeating how console always be minimum baseline for game design despite pc has stronger hardware
Just cause you repeat something doesn’t make it true.

also, pc hardware always had edge in raw power than consoles..there no pc that running with intel atom cpu while xb1 basically pc with intel atom and hd7790 while ps4 with hd7870..pay attention to pc games minimum requirement[/I]

I already keep repeating, elaborate stuff that might not possible on current gen, cpu, storage side wise aside gpu etc, over and over again
“Elaborate stuff” is not an answer. Especially when we have real world examples on the market right now. You gotta explain the abstract.

Also, im not talking exclusively about sony here..but both for ps5 and xbox series x as whole, as both had will end up had similliar design architecture wise , if we can trust insider said...both having jump in cpu, storage and gpu wise, not just sony...both getting proper ryzen desktop cpu, both are getting ssd, both will have devs no more constrained by intel atom level of cpu and below 500mbs hdd speed and i keep repeating how previous platform that had non of these wont easily scale it especially if the game designed by these advantage from ground up at first place
You have to be speaking exclusively Sony as all other devs will be making games that scale to a large variety of hardware.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Y

also, pc hardware always had edge in raw power than consoles..there no pc that running with intel atom cpu while xb1 basically pc with intel atom and hd7790 while ps4 with hd7870..pay attention to pc games minimum requirement

You are not getting a Ryzen 2 desktop CPU in next gen consoles. Lower power consumption, smaller cache. Basically mobile variants.

Top Bottom