• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X constrained by 'must also work on Xbox One' decree

Unless a dev decides to max out graphics and logic at 1080p 30fps on next gen consoles, which I highly doubt, then they should be able downscale just fine
I'm sorry, but the base Xbox never held either 30fps, n.or 1080p in multiplatform games, especially those that taxed the CPU. Those are the exception during a time that the base system was a PS4 (for the most part), the PS4 is more powerful than the base Xbox, but not orders of magnitude faster.

Bringing down the number of particles in explosions, removing shadows, cutting draw distance, simplifying the lighting model, reducing polygon count, etc. Will only take you so far when the core game is demanding.

You talk so much bs 😂 From a money making perspective it would make more sense to NOT make it available on older gen, because those people have to buy a new console, which might as well be the XSX since they are already in the Xbox ecosystem...

Don't let your hate towards another company cloud your judgement.

Fail. New consoles will be sold at a loss or for very little profit, so MS will make much more money from software sales for these cross-gen games. Try again.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Fail. New consoles will be sold at a loss or for very little profit, so MS will make much more money from software sales for these cross-gen games. Try again.
Aha, apparently you already know the specs of the XSX, the cost of producing it, and the price it will be sold at. Thanks for your insight mate...

It's 1st-party only. 3rd party-games can do whatever they want.

And which Microsoft game is gonna be hurt by being crossgen? Microsoft doesn't make crowded open world rpgs (yet). Halo Infinite and Gears of War 6 will look shinier on Series X (ray tracing), and nothing will be compromised gameplay-wise. Same for Hellblade 2, It's still gonna be a linear hacknslay.

Microsoft's decision is a good, sensible one. By the time they bring a new Fable or new rpg ip, we'll be 2 years in anyway. But for shooters and hacknslays, you up graphics and that's all the nextgen you'd get anyway.

DaMonsta

I'm sorry, but the base Xbox never held either 30fps, n.or 1080p in multiplatform games, especially those that taxed the CPU. Those are the exception during a time that the base system was a PS4 (for the most part), the PS4 is more powerful than the base Xbox, but not orders of magnitude faster.
This isn’t true. Most games held 1080p 30 pretty good.

Some did not. 720p sub 30 isn’t unheard of on consoles. I fully expect some cross gen games to run like shit, as they always have.

Bringing down the number of particles in explosions, removing shadows, cutting draw distance, simplifying the lighting model, reducing polygon count, etc. Will only take you so far when the core game is demanding.
Obviously there’s a cut off, that just won’t be anywhere near the launch of these consoles.

These new consoles are just faster PCs than the old consoles. That is the way gaming will evolve going forward, incrementally, not in jumps that correspond to massive gains or structural changes in the hardware. Look at how, say, the Microsoft Flight Simulator series evolved over the decades.

This course was inevitable once everything became commoditized. When they're all PCs it makes sense to treat them like PCs. It will happen on the Sony side too, especially if they start putting their games on PC. And no, Infamous Second Son didn't do anything revolutionary.

🤷‍♂️ I had never seen lighting effects or reflections as good as that on console.

skneogaf

Reading some of the comments, this misinformation is working well. People aren't seeing the parts where it's 1st party only and only for the first year or so.

Hats off to whoever made the thread as you're part if the problem of fake news influencing people who are unaware of the truth.

These things are happening on both sides and are such good examples of children being part of console war shenanigans that are extremely unhelpful to all of us.

Journey

Banned
I can't remember which poster said it, but I believe them when they said:

"scalability will be the new power of the cloud"

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

When you believe stupidity, you take ownership of that stupidity.

A) It's only Xbox Game Studios titles that will follow this
B) It's a temporary measure
C) 1st gen titles have never fully taken advantage of a console that recently launched anyway. You still get your share of shit looking titles like Gundam Crossfire for PS3.

Expectation:

Reality:

maxresdefault.jpg

This game was EXCLUSIVE and built from the GROUND UP on PS3, so it should look like the best possible PS3 title, is that how it works Mr. armchair developers?

How about we wait and see the results before we run out with the pitchforks and torches salivating like rabid dogs, it's embarrassing at this point.

3e9trc.jpg

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

When you believe stupidity, you take ownership of that stupidity.

A) It's only Xbox Game Studios titles that will follow this
B) It's a temporary measure
C) 1st gen titles have never fully taken advantage of a console that recently launched anyway. You still get your share of shit looking titles like Gundam Crossfire for PS3.

Expectation:

Reality:

maxresdefault.jpg

This game was EXCLUSIVE and built from the GROUND UP on PS3, so it should look like the best possible PS3 title, is that how it works Mr. armchair developers?

How about we wait and see the results before we run out with the pitchforks and torches salivating like rabid dogs, it's embarrassing at this point.

3e9trc.jpg

I'm not really on the bandwagon of "it'll look like shit" more, what will be affect or what sacrifices will be made? Combined with Microsoft not getting as many people as possible to move over to XSX to start this gen on the strongest foot possible.

When Microsoft are at their best, they are THE best.

Techies

Would be better if the policy was compatible with Xbox one X and Xbox Series X. With the previous gen console at 30fps with the most demanding game and 60fps or more on the new console.

Better than making a game look like crap or have it run at 15-20fps.

Xbox one X is like owning a GTX970 or 1060 3Gb on PC with a Ryzen 2 cpu.

Last edited:
You check the numbers.

Sub1080p is the exception on X1. Most games are 1080p.
Well, I found this table, I tend to think I was right... You have to look long and hard to find 1080p games in their list, and they don't mention how the frame rate is holding, but as a rule of thumb it rarely hold as well as the PS4 version, whatever the resolution of the xbone game is.

Edit: forgot the link https://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Df made a video last year, or the year before I believe, about how xbone ports ran pretty bad lately on the base model, they provided a couple of examples... the situation seems to have deteriorated quite a bit since early in the generation.

Obviously the X is a different story.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Well, I found this table, I tend to think I was right... You have to look long and hard to find 1080p games in their list, and they don't mention how the frame rate is holding, but as a rule of thumb it rarely hold as well as the PS4 version, whatever the resolution of the xbone game is.

Df made a video last year, or the year before I believe, about how xbone ports ran pretty bad lately on the base model, they provided a couple of examples... the situation seems to have deteriorated quite a bit since early in the generation.

Obviously the X is a different story.
What table? Post it

Console ports in general run “bad” with the most advanced games. Not much difference in the two consoles other than some resolution differences here and there.

OG X1 and PS4 aren’t far enough apart for any particular game to be viable on one but not the other. Assuredly any work CDPR is doing on the X1 version, the PS4 one will also benefit.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So your argument is that it is fine for Microsoft to not release 1st party exclusives for Scarlet, because it wouldn't have been very good anyway?

That's a Bold Strategy. Let's see if it pays off.
They are releasing first part exclusives for the scarlet.

What table? Post it

Console ports in general run “bad” with the most advanced games. Not much difference in the two consoles other than some resolution differences here and there.

OG X1 and PS4 aren’t far enough apart for any particular game to be viable on one but not the other. Assuredly any work CDPR is doing on the X1 version, the PS4 one will also benefit.
The link: https://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

I don't agree with your reading of what happened this generation in therms of performance (raw number wise)... But sure no ps4 game property ported to the Xbox one will be completely broken on the xbone, but the difference between the two could make one barely playable.

Anyway the issue is the potential effects of targeting the base xbone for some time early after yhe release of the new MS console... We all have different ideas of what games would and will be made, and I think that support of the older console should be done on a case by case basis (battletoad will be just fine on the xone, same if they make another Ori in 2d)... But AAA games will suffer from that choice.

Same with the PS4, even the pro and the X to some lesser extent, but this is really a case by case scenario and it should remain as such.

DaMonsta

The link: https://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

I don't agree with your reading of what happened this generation in therms of performance (raw number wise)... But sure no ps4 game property ported to the Xbox one will be completely broken on the xbone, but the difference between the two could make one barely playable.
In your list the majority of X1 games are 1080p. In most of the ones that are less, the PS4 is less too. The difference in GPU between the base consoles is well documented. I’m not sure what you are trying to prove here. Which PS4 game is or would be “barely playable” on the X1?

Anyway the issue is the potential effects of targeting the base xbone for some time early after yhe release of the new MS console... We all have different ideas of what games would and will be made, and I think that support of the older console should be done on a case by case basis (battletoad will be just fine on the xone, same if they make another Ori in 2d)... But AAA games will suffer from that choice.

Same with the PS4, even the pro and the X to some lesser extent, but this is really a case by case scenario and it should remain as such.
Its not about yours or my ideas. We already have clear examples of what the hardware is capable of.

In your list the majority of X1 games are 1080p. In most of the ones that are less, the PS4 is less too. The difference in GPU between the base consoles is well documented. I’m not sure what you are trying to prove here. Which PS4 game is or would be “barely playable” on the X1?
you should see an eye doctor or go back to school, sorry to break it to you, you just can't read.
Its not about yours or my ideas. We already have clear examples of what the hardware is capable of.
It was under-powered from the beginning, and it's only getting worse for those who have the base system (the S mind you, nobody checks the original xbox one now).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-is-falling-behind-but-could-shape-the-future

So it is a problem to force all projects to be designed around that machine, either games will run really bad on the base system or they will be limited in their scopes for everybody, there are no two ways around it. You actually solidified my opinion, thanks.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Aha, apparently you already know the specs of the XSX, the cost of producing it, and the price it will be sold at. Thanks for your insight mate...
It’s common sense, consoles make very little if any money. All the money is generated from the services and software. Why do you think Playstation is finally investing in PS Now and Xbox has gone all-in on Gamepass? Why do you think they went pay to play online?

It wasn’t for fun.

Journey

Banned
So your argument is that it is fine for Microsoft to not release 1st party exclusives for Scarlet, because it wouldn't have been very good anyway?

That's a Bold Strategy. Let's see if it pays off.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. At the start of a generation, there are visual techniques that are in their infancy and developers usually take some time to perfect.

Take for instance Xbox 360, it had the ability to add Bloom effects and also reflective textures, the result of which we saw an OVER use of bloom effects on some games, and the so called "Plastic'y" look on some characters that people hated (I can see this happening with Ray Tracing, right now they're just adding shinny pipes everywhere (See Control) just because they can) it had nothing to do with technical capability, but just needed time for these new machine specific effects that will take time before a PS5 or XSX show off what they're really capable of, and by this time Xbox Game Studios will be working on their next gen games that will be exclusive.

But this practice is nothing new, we saw this move with Forza Horizon 2 which came to both Xbox 360 and Xbox One with significant improvements on the X1 version btw, then 2nd Gen forza Horizon 3 was exclusive to Xbox One, the only difference is that they made their plans vocal this time, probably another messaging fiasco where MS at this point should be advised to keep such moves to themselves since we have worry wart arm chair developers that have no clue what changes they're getting from what happened this gen compared to what will happen next gen, no difference at all, just the messaging.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It’s common sense, consoles make very little if any money. All the money is generated from the services and software. Why do you think Playstation is finally investing in PS Now and Xbox has gone all-in on Gamepass? Why do you think they went pay to play online?

It wasn’t for fun.
Sure, but our discussion was about Microsoft releasing those games on current gen for money, which doesn't make sense, because they would have to buy that game on the SXS if they wanted to play it. So you would still have that sale...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Earlier this month Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty confirmed the

Is any gamer happy about this decree? Is their a bright side for buyers of the Xbox Series X, because personally I am struggling to see it?

So question, cuz I don't really understand this "mandate". When Matt Booty said "There will be no Xbox Series X exclusive games for one, two years" does this include third party games?

Shmunter

So question, cuz I don't really understand this "mandate". When Matt Booty said "There will be no Xbox Series X exclusive games for one, two years" does this include third party games?
Since MS is the distributor, they have the ultimate power to dictate this. How will the box art look? Going forward will there be just “Xbox”, or will it still be “Xbox One” and “Xbox Series X”??

Their naming convention is confusing as crap, I'm at a loss how they can differentiate the games between the gens. Their naming seems entirely setup for all games, 1st and 3rd party being cross platform. Perhaps they can use icons like they did with “Requires Kinect”.

Messy, very messy.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Since MS is the distributor, they have the ultimate power to dictate this. How will the box art look? Going forward will there be just “Xbox”, or will it still be “Xbox One” and “Xbox Series X”??

Their naming convention is confusing as crap, I'm at a loss how they can differentiate the games between the gens. Their naming seems entirely setup for all games, 1st and 3rd party being cross platform. Perhaps they can use icons like they did with “Requires Kinect”.

Messy, very messy.

I take it you don't have a smartphone, because you're so easily confused with that sort of naming system.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
🤷‍♂️ I had never seen lighting effects or reflections as good as that on console.

So your standard for revolutionary is slightly better lighting and reflections? Well, that's good then, because you see that with the high/ultra settings on every PC game, and I guarantee the XSX version of games will have better lighting and reflections than the One S version.

I actually liked Infamous Second Son a lot, it was a good game, but it was nothing special.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

The new CPUs are the same just faster/stronger.

There’s no physics thing a new CPU can do that the old CPUs can’t.

We see games like control with advanced physics working on those jaguar cores just fine.

It takes almost the entire overhead of power from X1 level to high end parts just to get to 4K 60fps with RT. Next gen consoles existing won’t change that. So scaling that back to sub1080p 30fps will give devs the leeway they need to get those jaguar cores to work.

Unless a dev decides to max out graphics and logic at 1080p 30fps on next gen consoles, which I highly doubt, then they should be able downscale just fine.

sorry, but let me remind you that despite there powerfull pc specs out there, game always developed with minimum baseline in mind, which is console..this gen minimum baseline is ps4/xbox one with Jaguar cpu...a mobile, intel atom level of cpu..dont need to remind you how powerfull intel atom, mobile cpu is isnt it?

this gen actually we didnt have much leap in cpu side aside gpu..some people call this gen like ps3.5 ...there not huge jump in cpu unlike gpu from previous gen...basically this gen we only have much leap in visual (gpu stuff side) but very less in cpu side (A.I, object destruction, physic,object perscreen, world simulation etc) because of weak jaguar..actually this gen kind of held back in that aspect, due to jaguar actually held back this gen in term of physic,AI, object destruction etc..different story if this gen we had better cpu at first place....you actually see very less in this aspect this gen that you think..dont think you already see advance stuff ....not yet...there lot of stuff held back due to weak cpu..stuff that cant be done with jaguar ..thats why you not seeing it because it not possible...thats why switch could even run witcher 3 as long you turn down/off gpu side of things like graphical and resolution aspect as on cpu side there not much leap there that required stronger cpu..its cortex A57 and jaguar, intel atom level cpu, both are mobile cpu there....there lot of complaint due to jaguar...thats why devs very happy with new proper desktop zen 2 cpu...

Dont forget how sad is Middle Earth:Shadow of Mordor nemesis system on xbox 360 is due to cpu and control could run better, devs could do more if had better cpu first place..and why microsoft used to promoting Crackdown's object destruction via "power of cloud" if jaguar can actually handle object destruction at first place? and how it fare in final presentation?...there lot of game missing object destruction in final product is due to a reason (remember earlier FFXV trailer that features destruction object that missing in final game?)...about ssd...even star citizen wont run properly without ssd..you can watch DF analysis video on that.

to sum up basically this gen we actually only had much leap in visual (gpu) side but not physic, A.I etc....we seen nothing much yet due to weak cpu...you probably think we already see advance stuff..not..not yet...there definitely stuff only possible next gen....seriously, a physic that developed with desktop level of cpu, could it run on mobile level cpu? could it run on intel atom?.....next gen we finally get proper jump both in gpu, cpu and even storage side...spiderman used to be developed with 20mb/s speed in mind..after this, assuming 2gb/s minimum how they gonna scale that? 'scale' not a miracle magic...not just turn down but also cut off things ...downscale also harder than upscale...it mean more work to developers..more sku to optimize, more crunch to them

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Because not only do early gen exclusives not do anything revolutionary with the new hardware, bit they are also usually not very good.

let’s see this gen:

Sony had driveclub. Which was a total shit show at launch, MS had forza 5 which was very good

MS had KILLER INSTINCT, good fighting game. Sony? No launch game at launch.

MS had dead rising 3, Sony nothing comparable.

MS had fucking TITANFALL at launch window, Sony had KILLZONE SHADOWFALL, which was CRAP compared to titanfall.

so, say again who had not good launch titles?

So your standard for revolutionary is slightly better lighting and reflections? Well, that's good then, because you see that with the high/ultra settings on every PC game, and I guarantee the XSX version of games will have better lighting and reflections than the One S version.

I actually liked Infamous Second Son a lot, it was a good game, but it was nothing special.

ISS was an example of where I saw a huge difference between the current gen and the previous gen in the launch window.

Halo was the biggest upgrade IMO because of split-screen co-op, AI driving and enemy AI

Kagey K

Banned
ISS was an example of where I saw a huge difference between the current gen and the previous gen in the launch window.

Halo was the biggest upgrade IMO because of split-screen co-op, AI driving and enemy AI
You forget halos biggest contribution, mid level loading. That hadn’t been seen before on consoles and was only feasible due to the mandatory hard drive on the Xbox.

Just like Halo 2s multiplayer was the most reliable only due to mandatory Ethernet cables.

MS has pulled the other companies forward, even if they were kicking and screaming when it happened.

It has made gaming better as a whole, and we would be a decade behind had they not done it.

You forget halos biggest contribution, mid level loading. That hadn’t been seen before on consoles and was only feasible due to the mandatory hard drive on the Xbox.

Just like Halo 2s multiplayer was the most reliable only due to mandatory Ethernet cables.

MS has pulled the other companies forward, even if they were kicking and screaming when it happened.

It has made gaming better as a whole, and we would be a decade behind had they not done it.

No doubt. Sony sat on their arse after the Dreamcast died, then when the Xbox dropped, Sony scrambled to add HDD support, Internet gaming support (through a stand iirc?) and 4 ports for controllers.

Jumping on the back of a warthog and manning the gun while the AI drove was un-freaking-believable

Matt_Fox

Matt Booty said "As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games will play up and down that family of devices," referring to Xbox Game Studios, which is made up of 15 software houses (so those claiming that only a couple of games will be impacted are really under estimating it). So no, the mandate does not apply to third-party.

It's not clear whether that means one SKU, one single disc at retail that will simply be branded 'Xbox Family' or similar, which has to work on next gen and past gen.

You will see something on PS5 in the first year that will simlpy not be possible on the ancient XB1/PS4 that MS's games will have to run on.

Like I said in the other thread, the PS5 exclusive/s will be a little game changer. You better believe it, SSM, Guerilla are two devs well into development on PS5 projects and are absolutely world class. The games will be stunning visually but I'm talking something more than that, something game-changing with AI, physics or utilising the SSD.

Developing a game with a:

Ryzen 3000-level 8-core CPU
2070+ -level GPU
NVMe SSD

as BASELINE is going to be bonkers.

K.N.W.

Quoting myself from another thread.
Well... It's not that users are over reacting. If a game is developed for Xbox One or PS4, it's going to be crippled by CPU and RAM, and that's going to limit the scope of the game (Number of Enemies, AI, possible interactions, size of the game world), since every machine does have its own limits. At 99% Microsoft games are going to look next gen but play like old gen. Things like number of enemies or possible AI interactions, cannot be touched without breaking game balance. In the past we had many PS1/N64/PC/DC/PS2 games with different version that really had different enemy AI, enemy number, animations and levels, but those time are gone since game development costs are always rising, and now everyone wants just to develop a single version and just port it over. So, I think, there might be two scenarios :
1) The most likely, games are going to be developed with Xbox One in mind, and then "UpGraphicated" for XSX. This works for everyone, except for said games that will have to review and sell against "real" Next Gen games, that probably might offer more interactions and depth.
2)Games are developed on XSX, and then they get reduced for Xbox One (less enemies, interaction, world size and depth). This bodes well for XSX owners, but it might be a disaster on XB1.

Anyway, most of the people buy new consoles just to see progress in game development, so this cross gen move it's just what no one asked for.

No doubt. Sony sat on their arse after the Dreamcast died, then when the Xbox dropped, Sony scrambled to add HDD support, Internet gaming support (through a stand iirc?) and 4 ports for controllers.

Jumping on the back of a warthog and manning the gun while the AI drove was un-freaking-believable
Excpet that the console was announced with online and 4 players capabilities long before Xbox did.
But Warthogs were good, that's for sure :)

Last edited:

icerock

As it stands, Turn10 and 343 will release their games at or around launch. I trust we agree on that one? Both will massively improve the quality of their output during the generation, just like we've always seen with developers. Rarely are launch games any indication of what a true next-gen game looks like, thus I don't really see the issue of going cross-gen for a short while... provided that it doesn't ruin anything for the games running on next-gen. And I don't think it will.

Cross-gen games are not a new phenomenon, there are previous precedents. Just take a look at cross-gen releases of BF, COD, Destiny, WD etc. and compare them to their iterations which were solely developed for one-generation of consoles. Visual fidelity is a massive step and so is the overall scale of the world. This time around, not only we're getting a very very powerful (and modern) CPUs but also very fast storage which are gonna change the inherent design of the games themselves. That's why I'm disappointed in their decision.

The video we've seen from Halo was supposedly running an X1X. It's clear that it wasn't a cinematic - it was more a small glimpse of what the Slipspace-engine can do, most likely running in-engine. On the other hand we have the Hellblade video. While impressive, it was obviously a pre-rendered CGI and the game will absolutely not look like that a release. Any comparison between the two is moot, and it's certainly not anything we can use to deduce how Halo is being "held back" in anyway.

Visually HB2 'looked' next-gen, just like KZ:SF did back in 2013.

If it turns out that Halo: Infinite and Forza 8 is getting steamrolled by the PS5 launch games, in terms of looks, feel and gameplay, because of this policy, I'll be the first to eat crow.

It will be interesting to see the first real gameplay videos over the next year.

Fair enough, if you want to wait and see Series X running Halo Infinite and HellBlade 2 side-by-side before forming your opinion. I'm just basing my opinion on what has logically followed, there are hardware limitiations which no amount of dev-magic can bypass.

This is nonsense. You think this policy is because game studio acquisitions happened too late? No, it 's a business decision to make as much money as possible from the old install base.

If those acquisitions were too late, that doesn't explain why MS' stable of old developers couldnt have had at least one game ready.

My post was conjecture, I was only trying to make sense of what compelled MS to make that decision. If, money was only thing on their agenda, why stop a year down the line? Why spend hundreds of millions to develop not one but two SKUs? You and me both know they're eating a loss on them at start, then why bother?

Answer is quite simple, they have to eventually move forward and make their platform attractive enough so potential buyers jump into their eco-system (and by that I don't mean buying GP on xCloud), I'm talking the hardware side, which opens up litany of sources of revenue. Be it full digital cut, a hefty 3rd party cut, micro-transactions or just services in form of XBL etc. MS aren't going to cut the legs off a new hardware by not offering any exclusive experience on it.

It's gonna be mighty difficult to ask PS owners to switch, but they have to ensure their 50m XB1 owners make that transition as early as possible. Trying to maximize the money off FP games by putting them cross-gen isn't gonna cut the muster long term.

Coming back to MS stable of old developers, I don't think you realize how few of them MS had back in 2017. I count just 5. Coalition were working on Gears 5 which released in 2019, 343 had been working on a new Halo which was well into development, Turn 10 were busy with their annual Forza series, which leaves Mojang who do MineCraft stuff and Rare who pushed Sea of Thieves in 2018 and Battletoads for 2020. So where exactly did they have the resources to make a next-gen game from ground up in space of 2 years?

Vomit. I guess being level 15 on the PlayStation trophy rankings makes me a Microsoft fanboy & anti-Sony? How about get the f over yourself.

BTW, claiming digital foundry would have mentioned the framerate problems is kind of hilarious considering it's the same outlet which flat-out swept the framerate problems in Red Dead 2 under a rug (hello slideshow in Valentine & Saint Dennis). God of War has really nasty drops on & around the lake of nine, for example. There's a litany of stutter problems on the base console. You don't need DF to tell you that, you just need to play the game without a Sony shaped dildo up your butt.

DF are not the only tech channel who cover video-games, there is NXGamer, and 10s of millions of consumers who played on base PS4. If issues were as pertinent as you're claiming to be 'litany of stutter problems', we'd have heard about them like we did for Control, RDR2, Witcher 3, Days Gone etc. See how easy it is to cut through the bullshit?

You made a shit post in order to go on a weird tangent about how all devs struggle with base consoles, when the said game was designed around it and runs with little problems. Now you continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole. Resorting to childish personal attacks while failing to argue on basis of facts just makes you like a giant buffon, as if that wasn't apparent reading your posts.

Did you notice that during the transition between Xbox -> Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 -> Xbox One there were also games that were cross gen? This was also the case with PS2 -> PS3 and PS4, this is nothing new. MS is asserting that at least their own studios will continue to support older consoles and seeing how Forza Motorsport 2 looked miles better on Xbox One vs Xbox 360, I don't see an issue.

I've seen through all of those transitions to know development isn't linear across generation of consoles. Compare something like FH4 to Forza Motorsport 2 to see how stark difference can be when one game is designed to harness all the power of a said console, while the other was designed for another console but was tweaked to take advantage of new hardware as much as possible. Then you can pit Uncharted 3 against Uncharted 4, or TLOU Remastered against TLOUII on a PS4.

I'll be happy with a Halo Infinite that runs at 4K and 60fps with added detail over a 900p 30fps Xbox One version that looks muddier.

This is my biggest worry (and problem) with this approach. Its again the remastered/PC conundrum where much more expensive and beefier hardware will do all those things just at higher frames and resolution. All that power underneath is never going to be utilized completely due to compromises being made to support lower-to-mid end hardware. With rumors of Lockhart, I see Series X being a PC equivalent of a high-end rig which is a shame because with so much power at tap, results could've been utterly mind boggling like some of the tech demos you see which are put together on a PC.

How can you be certain that Halo Infinite's engine wasn't built for a high end PC?

Common sense, if engine was designed keeping Series X as the baseline. To what extent would devs need to make compromises to make the game run on a base XB1? Obviously they aren't going to push a new Halo with 15fps at 540p on what would still be largest contingent on which Xbox gamers will play.

Graphics can be scaled back by reducing texture quality, lighting, shadows, resolution etc. but at the end of the day CPU still has to carry all that task be it on a high-end console or a low-end console. A game designed around to take full advantage of a Zen 2 CPU isn't going to run at on a Jaguar, no matter how much dev-magic you think its out there or scaling works.

Hell Cyberpunk was being developed with the expectation that it will run on current gen as well, and look at how much trouble they're experiencing to get it to run properly on Xbox One and PS4

Which shouldn't come as a surprise if anyone has looked at the footage of the game to see how many NPCs are out on the screen at once and physics employed by CDPR. Jaguar CPUs are too ancient to run an ambitious title like this, expect the performance to be akin to Witcher 3 on base XB1 and PS4 at ~20fps.

this tells us that games are already being built for high end PCs and next gen consoles will be the closest matches and will be receiving the best possible version for consoles.

CDPR are a dev who generally design their games on a PC, just take a look at first footage of Witcher 3 to see how far and above it looked from retail release. They were too-ambitious and had to scale back and cut corners to make the game playable on consoles. It's the same with CyberPunk, game has been in development for 7 years and now they have a ~150m console user base whom they cannot ignore.

What happens with the result on older consoles should not be your concern, unless you plan on playing said games on the older consoles, but from what I understand, most of the concern is that you will not be getting (For example) the best version of Cyberpunk on PC because they're supporting older hardware, but that is simply NOT true, the headache of getting these on the older platforms is on the studio and Cyberpunk will require a kick-ass gaming PC to play it at its full glory and a decent framerate.

Which takes me back to the original point, game scaling isn't a magical tool which will solve hardware based limitations. I pre-dominantly game on PC and wanted CDPR to push out a PC release and not compromise on their original vision just to make the game work on base consoles. But, I know this isn't how industry works.

I'm annoyed that not only is this transition delayed, but multiple SKUs strategy may end up handicapping the more-expensive consoles and PC. I only hope and pray that Lockhart CPU runs only marginally slower than Series X so the baseline doesn't take a hit. But, I remain skeptical.

Quoting myself from another thread.

Excpet that the console was announced with online and 4 players capabilities long before Xbox did.
But Warthogs were good, that's for sure :)
IIRC The playstation 2 launched with only two slots for pads and an expansion socket had to be bought.

PaNaMa

Banned
Earlier this month Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty confirmed the decree that all their new next gen content must also work on the original 2013 Xbox One.

The first real warning sign that this may gimp content and prove difficult or even untenable for devs came today.

Speaking in a podcast about CD Projekt Red's decision to delay Cyberpunk 2077, insider Borys Niespielak "strongly confirmed that the biggest problem is Xbox One (2013 model) and the game there is extremely unsatisfactory."

If a current gen game (albeit a particularly ambitious one) like Cyberpunk 2077 is struggling to work in a satisfactory way on the OG Xbox One console then how will Microsoft's all-singing all-dancing next generation line-up work on their aged console? If the decree stands then will developers be forced to curb and bridle their ambitions for the Xbox Series X from the off?

Is any gamer happy about this decree? Is their a bright side for buyers of the Xbox Series X, because personally I am struggling to see it?

Just to throw more fuel on the fire here.. I was playing Destiny 2 last night with my friend (we're both on Xbox One X consoles, with SSD drives - we are both parents, game time is limited, load times are the devil). Spawning into Iron Banner is never fast because we're always held up waiting for that lowest common denominator OG Xbox One user. Of 12 people loading into the match, you know 3/4 are on OG XBox 1 or 1S, and certainly don't have SSDs. So despite investing in a 1X and SSD, you still have to wait for all their slow ass clunky potato boxes to load the damn level. It's infuriating.

I got to thinking, this problem isn't going to go away for Xbox Series X players next gen, like it will for PS5 owners. if Series X games all need to be playable across the entire Xbox Ecosystem, then this will also continue into the next generation and will be worse than ever. Want to load into some Halo Infinate, Forza Horizon 5, Destiny 2 or even Pub G or any game where players are on on different XboX SKUs ? Guess what? Your fancy Series X will only load into that game and start playing it once *all other potato boxes* have finished loading assets. It's already a nightmare now with people's dying 5400rpm OGXbox drives.

TLDR: The problem isn't just that Series X will load most games 50% slower than PS5; it's that Series X will load most MP games at the same speed as OG Xbox 1.

AGRacing

On one hand it’s totally correct that the original Xbox One will hold developers back... on the other hand we can’t pretend developers will care too much about how well a game will run or how good it will look on that machine.... just ask anyone who is still using the $499 Xbox One that came with Kinect and didn’t have the One S upclock..... if you can find anyone who hates themselves enough to be still using one.

Top Bottom