• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tells influencers to prepare fans before BAD News announcements to Damage control

Who are these people ?

what is the context of the clip ?

what was he about to say before the video cut out?

I could be wrong but it seems to be Defining Duke which IIRC is the Xbox podcast on that platform started by Colin Moriarty (sp). I used to listen to it but I only did for maybe a month because it’s kind of trash, though not as bad as the Kinda Funny attempt at an Xbox podcast.

I could be wrong again but I thought it had different hosts when I listened. Just that thumbnail is enough for me to say no thanks. I guess Matty has replaced Major Nelson for most punchable face in gaming.

As for the context, there really isn’t any but cmon… it’s GAF. No context needed to shit on Xbox. What he says is MS reached out to him and some others about $70 games to “prepare for blowback” and GAF is assuming this means these people then went on preemptive damage control to shill and sugarcoat stuff. When in reality if these people MS reached out to and told were paid shills then why would they need to worry about any blowback or negativity 😆

GAF is weird sometimes.

Killer8

What kind of proof would satisfy you?

Anything. Show the emails of MS telling them to brace for bad news. Record some audio of MS reps saying that. How about these people do, I don't know, some basic fucking journalism when breaking a story, because this dropping of a 30 second sound bite with zero evidence behind it isn't going to cut it. What's that saying again - "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Anything. Show the emails of MS telling them to brace for bad news. Record some audio of MS reps saying that. How about these people do, I don't know, some basic fucking journalism when breaking a story, because this dropping of a 30 second sound bite with zero evidence behind it isn't going to cut it. What's that saying again - "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"?

Are you dense? These two dudes in the OP just told you.

True or not, better not believe much of anything professionell journalists and even less those grown up kids with a mic and a big mouth as their credentials.
Journalism is hardly a job with integrity anymore and certainly never was for the majority of the new generation of copy paste journalists that are all over the social media chasing some fame and clicks.
Politicians, journalists, even a lot of supposed experts are just trash in the grand scheme of things.

No longer getting GPU, basically, for free?

Starfield's being delayed?
I can’t see it being anything other than Starfield being delayed, as it’s the big title coming and Xbox gamers have been chomping at the bit for this. It being delayed is going to hit pretty hard if true I imagine.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not surprised. Most of these "influencers" are likely paid puppets of Microsoft.

Xbox has the smallest userbase and yet the most number of "influencers". It doesn't make sense in an open market.

Business logic would dictate that there would be more "Nintendo influencers" and "PlayStation influencers" to get the most views, clicks, and $$, if everything was organic. But we know it's not organic. This is another proof of all this being inorganic and actually paid.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it seems to be Defining Duke which IIRC is the Xbox podcast on that platform started by Colin Moriarty (sp). I used to listen to it but I only did for maybe a month because it’s kind of trash, though not as bad as the Kinda Funny attempt at an Xbox podcast.

I could be wrong again but I thought it had different hosts when I listened. Just that thumbnail is enough for me to say no thanks. I guess Matty has replaced Major Nelson for most punchable face in gaming.

As for the context, there really isn’t any but cmon… it’s GAF. No context needed to shit on Xbox. What he says is MS reached out to him and some others about $70 games to “prepare for blowback” and GAF is assuming this means these people then went on preemptive damage control to shill and sugarcoat stuff. When in reality if these people MS reached out to and told were paid shills then why would they need to worry about any blowback or negativity 😆

GAF is weird sometimes.
embrace your individuality.

Killer8

Are you dense? These two dudes in the OP just told you.

"Yeah bro Microsoft do this for real hue hue" on a podcast does not cut it at all. If you're just going to take what people say on face value without anything to back it up then you're lost.

People have mistrusted journalists and their lack of standards for years, but it's interesting how suddenly they're totally legit if they drop a bit of unsubstantiated info that aligns with their bias.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

GAF is weird sometimes.
I liked Matty for his passion on Fallout but he has become an insufferable Xbox shill as of late. Becoming too click baity. Any time he posts videos, he gets a bunch of bot-like comments telling him how great he is. Lately he has just been pumping out Starfield videos that tell us nothing.

Thirty7ven

Banned
"Yeah bro Microsoft do this for real hue hue" on a podcast does not cut it at all. If you're just going to take what people say on face value without anything to back it up then you're lost.

People have mistrusted journalists and their lack of standards for years, but it's interesting how suddenly they're totally legit if they drop a bit of unsubstantiated info that aligns with their bias.

How about you don’t let your ignorance of context dictate what you say?

They are not journalists for starters, and one of them is seen in photos with Xbox PR, Phil Spencer, is invited to all these Xbox events and even went as far as sending an email to Phil Spencer about red fall which got a reply from the man himself.

You don’t know what you’re talking about. And if you haven’t realized this is how narrative has been spreading for years, narrative which is usually very pro Xbox and very anti PlayStation, then you are either too young or too stupid.

mrmustard

Banned
Love these kind of threads, you already know who is in there before klicking.

If this is real, my guess is No more Day1 games on Game Pass, there will be a 1 month delay.

For every damage control influencer, there's a damage inducing opposition that spins the smallest incident into the stratosphere.
HdPmkzd.gif

Pelta88

Business logic would dictate that there would be more "Nintendo influencers" and "PlayStation influencers" to get the most views, clicks, and $$, if everything was organic. But we know it's not organic. This is another proof of all this being inorganic and actually paid.

PlayStation and Nintendo have the most in depth, robust, and successful influencer program in gaming. And they've been running it for decades. It's so impactful that they named it the "Release great games." influencer program.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Kind of marketing 101. A bit like AMD really talking up the need for VRAM before launching the 6000 series and Nvidia doing the reverse. These companies know what products they have in the pipeline and want to message around that before release.

Not doing that is poor business. That's how you end up like Sony with the PC releases where they had an army of fanboys who were convinced that games also on PC were of no real value and then the bomb dropped.

LOL at people thinking that there aren't more "influencers" on the PS/Nintendo side vs. Xbox. There certainly are.

mdkirby

I don't get why this is an issue or surprising. I would expect pretty much any consumer company of the scale of Microsoft or Sony etc to do the same🤷‍♂️

Adam_802

GAF is weird sometimes.

Yup^ Quoted for all the people in the back to read again.

Danknugz

Reason no.128,133 why 'influencers' are not to be engaged with in any way. Just not a part of any healthy media diet, be discerning about what you consume.

But what about all the little kids who might be convinced to like xbox? We must stand against such indoctrination

These two shills remain a black mark on Last Stand Media, an endeavor which started on the premise of independence, free from the grasp of these brands. It’s a shame that for their Xbox podcast they had to rely on these two, but maybe you can’t get anybody for a Xbox focused podcast that isn’t a shill working for the brand.
Shills? Matty at least is very consistent in his critisms and was basically black listed from Bethesda after being one of their biggest influencers for shitting all over FO76 and shitted on Redfall like crazy. He's just a dude who loves rpgs and kind of became an Xbox influencer because they acquired obsidian, inexile and bethesda the biggest WRPG studios. Cog is more of a fanboy but he's not a toxic one for the most part, seems to be all in jest.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Kind of marketing 101. A bit like AMD really talking up the need for VRAM before launching the 6000 series and Nvidia doing the reverse. These companies know what products they have in the pipeline and want to message around that before release.

Not doing that is poor business. That's how you end up like Sony with the PC releases where they had an army of fanboys who were convinced that games also on PC were of no real value and then the bomb dropped.

LOL at people thinking that there aren't more "influencers" on the PS/Nintendo side vs. Xbox. There certainly are.
What do you base this on?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe there are but in the case of PS and ESPECIALLY Nintendo i highly doubt they're getting paid to make Sony/Nintendo look good. I think they do it because they're dumb fanboys and like to shitpost on twitter.

Microsoft is actually paying these guys, and you can tell because there's less trash talk and more corporate speak and buzzwords. Talks about acquisitions, gamepass, news, etc. Actual Fanboys don't conduct themselves in such a manner.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Love these kind of threads, you already know who is in there before klicking.

If this is real, my guess is No more Day1 games on Game Pass, there will be a 1 month delay.
Not gonna happen eventhough I honestly think it should.

Why would I suggest such an "anti-consumer" move?

Because I have NO FAITH that Gamepass is sustainable in it's current state. I just have a hard time believing that MS will be able to put high quality games with $100M - $500M budgets and keep it at a high quality. Nintendo and Sony have shown that first week standalone sales are where it's at.

Although how much would it affect sales IF people knew it would come to GP in one month as opposed to say 6 months?

Not to mention we are in an era where subscription services are losing subscribers. Gamepass is currently the only service that does offer AAA games, so it's definitely not the same as Netflix/Disney etc.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Shills? Matty at least is very consistent in his critisms and was basically black listed from Bethesda after being one of their biggest influencers for shitting all over FO76 and shitted on Redfall like crazy. He's just a dude who loves rpgs and kind of became an Xbox influencer because they acquired obsidian, inexile and bethesda the biggest WRPG studios. Cog is more of a fanboy but he's not a toxic one for the most part, seems to be all in jest.

I’ve seen hours of them, I know exactly what they are. Cog’s whole job is shilling for Xbox. He does it at defining Duke and at Lords of Gaming where the shilling is even louder.

graywolf323

yep, I wouldn’t include Matty in that category at all

Cog is borderline though, I do agree he’s not toxic like Colt and the others

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’ve seen hours of them, I know exactly what they are. Cog’s whole job is shilling for Xbox. He does it at defining Duke and at Lords of Gaming where the shilling is even louder.

This tweet is a lot more ironic now that Elongated chromosome number changed the site's name from Twitter to X.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Imagine being a grown man and being this cringe. I hope they get paid a lot.

Top Bottom