• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tells influencers to prepare fans before BAD News announcements to Damage control

Three

But no one heard of, or knew about, these guys from the OP before this topic either ...
If you're suggesting these people don't have xbox connections and are making things up, here you go, this might jog your memory:

FyHYbk4aUAAYJ0W.jpg:large

The person at the back.

Del_X

No I guess YOU didn't read the post YOU just responded to so I will TYPE it again in a BIGGER FONT so you will get the hint:

Are they employed by Sony? Are they executives?

Again, it is straight up false to say that Sony engages with the community at a level anywhere REMOTELY close to what Xbox does. People know who Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Major Nelson are. I say that it would do Sony some good to get a figurehead that is more likeable like Jack Tretton or "Kevin Butler."

Aside from Jim Ryan who is else spends a ton of time doing podcasts, going on shows? Herman Hulst and Neil Druckmann send out the occasional tweet, but they're more about promoting their own games.

SO I will say it again:
It is absolutely FALSE to say that Sony engages in PR/social media/community at a level anywhere remotely close to the level of MS and your counter-evidence to that is mentioning a blog/podcast called Initiative something something with some dude named Eric that I (and probably most of GAF) have never heard of?

That's cute. Keep it up.

That’s a lot of words to say “I don’t know.”

ByWatterson

These two shills remain a black mark on Last Stand Media, an endeavor which started on the premise of independence, free from the grasp of these brands. It’s a shame that for their Xbox podcast they had to rely on these two, but maybe you can’t get anybody for a Xbox focused podcast that isn’t a shill working for the brand.

Man I agree with that. LSM and Sacred Symbols are the best thing to happen to gaming podcasts, uh, ever. But the Dukes are straight up homers. Listening to CDC and then hearing two garden variety YouTubers backpat and fake laugh is jarring.

Their Nintendo lineup, though, is strong. Gene!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But no one heard of, or knew about, these guys from the OP before this topic either ...
Jog my memory? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seems like you're more familiar with these podcasters and their work than I am.

Bro..... Cog has a direct line to Phil. He mentioned talking to him after the Kinda Funny XCast interview that Phil had. He told him that he can't say stuff like that. He knows all the Xbox top brass.

Del_X

People are acting like this is the CCP running a disinfo campaign. It’s marketing.

If this is the kind of shit that gets you worked up, typing walls of text, editing fonts - you need to get real problems.

The most logical conclusion anyone should have reached. But these companies reaching out to outlets/personalities to give out info about policies and shit isn’t really the issue here, the issue is console warriors on twitter making large assumptions about why they were given info and what they are supposed to do with it.

Not only does it go against logic and reason that if these guys were paid shills then MS wouldn’t need to worry about any criticism from them, but if they were paid shills given scripts to work off of, why would they just casually drop that info in a live stream? 😆

Dude with punchable face: MS reached out and gave us this info so that personalities/outlets wouldn’t be surprised

Console warriors: LOL SEE MS SHILLS

People need to go outside and touch some grass.

graywolf323

Bro..... Cog has a direct line to Phil. He mentioned talking to him after the Kinda Funny XCast interview that Phil had. He told him that he can't say stuff like that. He knows all the Xbox top brass.
don’t bother, adamsapple is just obfuscating, I don’t believe for a second he’s never heard of Matty and Cog before

we’ve had threads about them before, Defining Duke was originally Matty & Karak Karak after all and it was a big deal when Colin launched an Xbox podcast since it was his company going more into gaming broadly when previously it was just his own PlayStation podcast

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
don’t bother, adamsapple is just obfuscating, I don’t believe for a second he’s never heard of Matty and Cog before

You can choose to believe what you want, I'm always finding about all these 'Xbox influencers' and podcasts not from fellow 'xbots' but from threads like this :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not only does it go against logic and reason that if these guys were paid shills then MS wouldn’t need to worry about any criticism from them, but if they were paid shills given scripts to work off of, why would they just casually drop that info in a live stream? 😆

The good news is if they really are paid shills, they probably broke some kind of NDA and won't be paid shills anymore.

yay ?

Banjo64

cumsessed

Game developers/publishers reach out to outlets and creators of varying sizes to update information regarding their games. Prices, content changes, dates, etc.

His exact words:

‘When they announced they were going to do $70 games remember they reached out to you, people like me, so on and so on like ‘hey by the way we’re just doing this, right?’ - trying to prepare people for what could be blowback, right?

Emphasis mine.

Why would a neutral journalist need to be prepared for blow back against Xbox?

That doesn’t make a jot of sense.

graywolf323

His exact words:

‘When they announced they were going to do $70 games remember they reached out to you, people like me, so on and so on like ‘hey by the way we’re just doing this, right?’ - trying to prepare people for what could be blowback, right?

Emphasis mine.

Why would a neutral journalist need to be prepared for blow back against Xbox?

That doesn’t make a jot of sense.
might explain why so many of the usual suspects were ready to blame PlayStation for Xbox raising prices just like the rest of the industry has done (which wasn’t started by PlayStation either though they always seem to forget that fact, it was actually ABK & Take Two IIRC)

I’m still amazed they chose Redfall of all games to do it with, at least Nintendo waited for Tears of the Kingdom (and PlayStation opted for the start of a new generation)

Three

So why drop early info on them in the first place do you think? The reason is that they know those specific people are hard wired to spin things positively towards xbox in creative ways. So they use those people to influence others with the bad news by making it seem not so bad or somebody elses fault.

Take the $70 news for example. They'd prefer if somebody like Jez or Colt broke the news positively with something like
"following in the footsteps of Sony who introduced $70, xbox is set to increase prices for their first party games after holding off as long as possible, you can still get these great games on gamepass for the same price"

instead of some other more impartial outlet who might frame it differently

"xbox have previously said they don't intend to increase prices but have now officially set their first party games to $70 at a time where the cost of living has become difficult. there is no word on if gamepass prices will also increase later if this is due to next gen games costing more but that may also be likely"

They want the positive spin on it and they have the luxury of knowing that those people might even mix in some bullshit regarding the competition or them which they could never have officially said.

Last edited:
more bad news for xbox? but they are already got no games!!

jack up price of gamepass?
shut down more studios?
bringing back Kinect?

Nvidia did something similar with the 4060. They knew the card was going to be bad and not well received so when they got content creators to do "first impressions" videos, they had a lot of restrictions (on the games you can test on, or the benchmarks you can or cannot show, etc) to control the narrative.

Murdok

Is Ms learning from Sony? Because when it comes to damage control your fans are masters. Just look at the speech against PC games, backwards compatibility, services, day one games when MS started making them and then when Sony started to imitate them.

It is interesting to see how speech and acceptance changes depending on who is speaking.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Because their podcasts rarely, if ever, talk about actual games. It's a contest about who is closer to Phil Spencer and XBOX. Or telling people to "Wait." These guys don't even have gamer scores to speak of.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Anything. Show the emails of MS telling them to brace for bad news. Record some audio of MS reps saying that. How about these people do, I don't know, some basic fucking journalism when breaking a story, because this dropping of a 30 second sound bite with zero evidence behind it isn't going to cut it. What's that saying again - "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"?
I agree with you which is why no one should watch corporate news be it cable, gaming related, etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is Ms learning from Sony? Because when it comes to damage control your fans are masters. Just look at the speech against PC games, backwards compatibility, services, day one games when MS started making them and then when Sony started to imitate them.

It is interesting to see how speech and acceptance changes depending on who is speaking.
SOny has not given us BC yet. They need to.

Crayon

It's not about the paid people but the fan culture. There are an outsized number of junior xb pr pushers everywhere. Does everybody do it? Maybe, but someone has to do it the most and if you aren't stupid you can look at who's been caught the most. Or more tellingly, how fast and hard talking points are adopted by the fandom. If they are acting in lockstep with the same talking points or trolling, then it's clearly coming from up the chain.

ByWatterson

People are acting like this is the CCP running a disinfo campaign. It’s marketing.

If this is the kind of shit that gets you worked up, typing walls of text, editing fonts - you need to get real problems.

Yeah, none of this really matters, but for people who care about the art form or the hobby, it's nice to know which voices are genuine and which are bullshit.

SHA

Their faces are like their entire existence for that single purpose, you could see their sarcastic faces on the thumbnails without clicking the video, listening to these is a waste of time, you could use that extra energy to beat campaigns instead.

Last edited:
Because their podcasts rarely, if ever, talk about actual games. It's a contest about who is closer to Phil Spencer and XBOX. Or telling people to "Wait." These guys don't even have gamer scores to speak of.

And yet you, as someone who typically craps on Xbox here, routinely listen to their podcast? And actively monitor their gamer scores? That’s not weird at all.

When I listened to the podcast, they certainly talked about a lot of games.

Pelta88

And yet you, as someone who typically craps on Xbox here, routinely listen to their podcast? And actively monitor their gamer scores? That’s not weird at all.

When I listened to the podcast, they certainly talked about a lot of games.

Actually no. A youtuber by the name of "King Thrash" did a video on the members of that podcast and other Pro XBOX podcasts. Clipped and uploaded on twitter. According to their own gamer scores, those guys don't actually game.

Sycophantic behaviour...

Top Bottom