• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tells influencers to prepare fans before BAD News announcements to Damage control

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ve seen hours of them, I know exactly what they are. Cog’s whole job is shilling for Xbox. He does it at defining Duke and at Lords of Gaming where the shilling is even louder.

disgusted not safe for work GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Kind of marketing 101. A bit like AMD really talking up the need for VRAM before launching the 6000 series and Nvidia doing the reverse. These companies know what products they have in the pipeline and want to message around that before release.

Not doing that is poor business. That's how you end up like Sony with the PC releases where they had an army of fanboys who were convinced that games also on PC were of no real value and then the bomb dropped.

LOL at people thinking that there aren't more "influencers" on the PS/Nintendo side vs. Xbox. There certainly are.
I mean, Sony did announce this:

Now, do they do this quietly with others, maybe.

But you have to admit some Xbox influencers are a different beast. My entire issue is Xbox execs being associated with fanboys. And I used to see some say PlayStation needs hype ppl like Colt or Timdog, etc.

Uh....no they most certainly do not.

I mean, you even make the point yourself about Sony and PC releases.

But you have to admit some Xbox influencers are a different beast. My entire issue is Xbox execs being associated with fanboys. And I used to see some say PlayStation needs hype ppl like Colt or Timdog, etc.

You're comparing astroturfing/damage control to...a celebrity influencer program? Come on now

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Shills? Matty at least is very consistent in his critisms and was basically black listed from Bethesda after being one of their biggest influencers for shitting all over FO76 and shitted on Redfall like crazy. He's just a dude who loves rpgs and kind of became an Xbox influencer because they acquired obsidian, inexile and bethesda the biggest WRPG studios. Cog is more of a fanboy but he's not a toxic one for the most part, seems to be all in jest.
As I said in a previous post, Matty has more or less become a shill. Yes, he did shit on Redfall and Fallout 76.

But he has gone crazy lately with non-stop Starfield videos. He blindly thinks that Gamepass is great for the industry and is unwilling to discuss downsides.

I do love him for his passion for Fallout projects and I wish more people would join in with him in requesting earlier Fallout games get remastered.

graywolf323

As I said in a previous post, Matty has more or less become a shill. Yes, he did shit on Redfall and Fallout 76.

But he has gone crazy lately with non-stop Starfield videos. He blindly thinks that Gamepass is great for the industry and is unwilling to discuss downsides.

I do love him for his passion for Fallout projects and I wish more people would join in with him in requesting earlier Fallout games get remastered.
I mean Starfield is understandable since he’s massively hyped for it, I think that goes back to it being announced even & he very much has rose colored glasses on about it

GamePass he’s clearly in the deep end with having bought into the PR, I still wouldn’t say he’s as much of a shill as Cog or the others though, it’s more just him likely being influenced by the programs that HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has revealed, Matty likely isn’t paying for GPU and that skews his views on things

bias is human nature after all, it’s difficult to acknowledge your own biases and work to counter them, and we’re seeing many companies actively try to exploit that (not just companies, in politics too), our culture as a whole is getting more and more polarized

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I don't disagree that Sony should focus on games and less on a social media presence. Sony prefers to let their games do the talking. However, I don't think it would hurt for them to do a little bit. I am certainly not in favor of Xbox's country club buddies with the community, without strong first games to back it up. I am also not in favor of Sony's ultra secret, stay in the shadows, do one press release stuff here and there.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mean Starfield is understandable since he’s massively hyped for it, I think that goes back to it being announced even & he very much has rose colored glasses on about it

GamePass he’s clearly in the deep end with having bought into the PR, I still wouldn’t say he’s as much of a shill as Cog or the others though, it’s more just him likely being influenced by the programs that HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has revealed, Matty likely isn’t paying for GPU and that skews his views on things

bias is human nature after all, it’s difficult to acknowledge your own biases and work to counter them, and we’re seeing many companies actively try to exploit that (not just companies, in politics too), our culture as a whole is getting more and more polarized
It's a weird view I have on Matty. I hate his clickbaity stuff and I think he is falling into the trap of overhyping. I haven't watched a Starfield video in months. I've already seen all I need to see from that game. I absolutely love his Fallout videos and my hope was that influencers like him COULD push MS towards remastering 3 and New Vegas. It is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that people will pay for these remasters/remakes. Capcom is proving it, Sony is proving it. EA is proving it.

I have GP locked up until 2025, so it's not like I won't play Starfield, but I will be playing it on PC. I am done with 30 fps gaming. I put up with it last gen since, most gaming was at 30 fps and I wasn't exposed to high refresh rate gaming until I got a 2080 Ti and I got a 144Hz monitor. I now actually don't even like 60 fps gaming all that much. I want at least 90. 60 is acceptable though! Back on topic....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don’t even see this as valid criticism. Sony has a community they engage with and Xbox does as well.

“Oh no Xbox is going to charge the same price everyone else is, how scandalous”
Please, show me an example of Sony engaging with the community. I would love to see Sony more vocal and out promoting their products.
That is pretty much the biggest reason why Sony is hated is that they don't communicate. I don't want a country-club atmosphere like Xbox, but I don't think it would hurt for Sony to have someone like a Major Nelson.

Aside from Jim Ryan, can you seriously name one major Playstation executive/employee that does interviews, engages with the community etc. I sure as hell haven't seen them.

This is a big reason why people despise Jim Ryan so much as he is seen as a corporate shill bean counter.

Last edited:

graywolf323

It's a weird view I have on Matty. I hate his clickbaity stuff and I think he is falling into the trap of overhyping. I haven't watched a Starfield video in months. I've already seen all I need to see from that game. I absolutely love his Fallout videos and my hope was that influencers like him COULD push MS towards remastering 3 and New Vegas. It is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that people will pay for these remasters/remakes. Capcom is proving it, Sony is proving it. EA is proving it.

I have GP locked up until 2025, so it's not like I won't play Starfield, but I will be playing it on PC. I am done with 30 fps gaming. I put up with it last gen since, most gaming was at 30 fps and I wasn't exposed to high refresh rate gaming until I got a 2080 Ti and I got a 144Hz monitor. I now actually don't even like 60 fps gaming all that much. I want at least 90. 60 is acceptable though! Back on topic....
do you watch his Retro Rebound channel? that’s my favorite stuff he does of late

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
…and their tactics are on full display in this very thread.

Deflect.
Minimise.
Spread FUD.

“Sony does it too!” (They do not do it to this extent)
“It’s normal, part of the industry.” (It isn’t and shouldn’t be accepted if it is)
“Who are these guys and why should we believe them?” (They are just one (or two) more in a long, long line of people giving evidence about MS’s practices)
“This is all part of SonyGAF’s persecution of Xbox.” (No it isn’t, fuck off)
“It doesn’t matter, I can think for myself - can’t you?” (Advertising is a multi-billion-dollar industry for a reason, and governments have been toppled by word of mouth.)

Did I miss any?

There’s more awareness of them now, and a lot of the usual suspects seem to be holding back their main accounts - but I’m sure they’re still here.

Del_X

They don’t. Colin often talks about it, how they have no communication with Sony at all. It affords him/them a level of freedom they aren’t willing to give up.
Ok good for them.
Please, show me an example of Sony engaging with the community. I would love to see Sony more vocal and out promoting their products.
That is pretty much the biggest reason why Sony is hated is that they don't communicate. I don't want a country-club atmosphere like Xbox, but I don't think it would hurt for Sony to have someone like a Major Nelson.

This is a big reason why people despise Jim Ryan so much as he is seen as a corporate shill bean counter.
You literally quoted the Playmakers initiative from someone else like 10 minutes ago.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ok good for them.

You literally quoted the Playmakers initiative from someone else like 10 minutes ago.
Who the fuck is the Playmakers Initiative? Which post?

Are they employed by Sony? Are they executives?

Again, it is straight up false to say that Sony engages with the community at a level anywhere REMOTELY close to what Xbox does. People know who Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Major Nelson are. I say that it would do Sony some good to get a figurehead that is more likeable like Jack Tretton or "Kevin Butler."

Aside from Jim Ryan who is else spends a ton of time doing podcasts, going on shows?

A central tenant of PR is something only Xbox does?

This is what GAF really believes…
What you babbling about. We have on record Xbox exes saying they pay an army of shills to evangelise their products.

You consistently see the same people working overtime on this very forum. You don't see anything like it from Nvidia/and can boys or Nintendo or Sony fanboys.

Danknugz

i still don't understand why people are so upset about something like this. the whole zeitgeist of this board is that sony > xbox because xbox has no games and is just an overpowered brute force piece of plastic and no true artistic "gamer" merit.

So why are people so upset about a handful of kids being exposed to such agenda and shilling? Shouldn't the product and farms speak for themselves? what's at stake here?

supernova8

Banned
The weird thing is that (at least on GAF) the diehard Xbox fans never ever say anything negative about Xbox. In contrast, a lot of the so-called Sony fans will rip into Playstation the moment Jim Ryan puts a foot wrong. The non-stop, unrelenting positivity from Xbox fans just feels a bit... forced? Unnatural?

graywolf323

The weird thing is that (at least on GAF) the diehard Xbox fans never ever say anything negative about Xbox. In contrast, a lot of the so-called Sony fans will rip into Playstation the moment Jim Ryan puts a foot wrong. The non-stop, unrelenting positivity from Xbox fans just feels a bit... forced? Unnatural?
I’ve joked before that the only people that hate Jim Ryan more than Xbox fanboys are the PlayStation fanboys 😛

edit: there are some exceptions though, I think DenchDeckard DenchDeckard is one of the good ones, definitely an Xbox fan but Dench will actually criticize them occasionally

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have no issue admitting that I favor Playstation over Xbox because Sony has delivered for me in the area that I care about the most: high quality exclusives. Until that changes, they will still be my console of choice. I love the first party games they put out. Many claim they don't , but 10-20M in sales say otherwise.

Nothing would thrill me more than to see Microsoft be able to compete in this area. If Starfield ends up being the start of that...GREAT! Sony NEEDS that competition. Sadly, I have no trust or faith that will happen. They expect me to believe that Xbox is going to crush Sony with the same people who ran it to a distant 3rd place after the 360 era? Yeah....NO. I see MS as the company that ran Rare, Fable and Halo into the ground. When MS does something good I support them.

I absolutely despise Jim Ryan, he is an likeable/bland/boring bean counter.

The saying is true:
Xbox has more influencers, because Sony fanboys are far busier playing games.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’ve joked before that the only people that hate Jim Ryan more than Xbox fanboys are the PlayStation fanboys 😛

edit: there are some exceptions though, I think DenchDeckard DenchDeckard is one of the good ones, definitely an Xbox fan but Dench will actually criticize them occasionally
Yeah, Playstation players are no fan of Jim Ryan. Most of us hate him.

Del_X

What you babbling about. We have on record Xbox exes saying they pay an army of shills to evangelise their products.

You consistently see the same people working overtime on this very forum. You don't see anything like it from Nvidia/and can boys or Nintendo or Sony fanboys.
I’m confused - the topic is about Xbox giving influencers a heads up on negative news. It’s literally how PR works.

Who the fuck is the Playmakers Initiative? Which post?

Again, it is straight up false to say that Sony engages with the community at a level anywhere REMOTELY close to what Xbox does. People know who Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Major Nelson are. I say that it would do Sony some good to get a figurehead that is more likeable like Jack Tretton or "Kevin Butler."

Aside from Jim Ryan who is else spends a ton of time doing podcasts, going on shows?

See:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...ents-to-damage-control.1659169/post-268223207

I guess you didn’t read the post you replied to?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m confused - the topic is about Xbox giving influencers a heads up on negative news. It’s literally how PR works.

See:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...ents-to-damage-control.1659169/post-268223207

I guess you didn’t read the post you replied to?
No I guess YOU didn't read the post YOU just responded to so I will TYPE it again in a BIGGER FONT so you will get the hint:

Aside from Jim Ryan who is else spends a ton of time doing podcasts, going on shows? Herman Hulst and Neil Druckmann send out the occasional tweet, but they're more about promoting their own games.

SO I will say it again:
It is absolutely FALSE to say that Sony engages in PR/social media/community at a level anywhere remotely close to the level of MS and your counter-evidence to that is mentioning a blog/podcast called Initiative something something with some dude named Eric that I (and probably most of GAF) have never heard of?

That's cute. Keep it up.

DaGwaphics

What do you base this on?

Social media activity, number of platform specific sites, etc. There are more fanboys/content creators/influencers whatever term you want to use on the Nintendo/Sony side. As one would expect given the size of the user bases.

Maybe there are but in the case of PS and ESPECIALLY Nintendo i highly doubt they're getting paid to make Sony/Nintendo look good. I think they do it because they're dumb fanboys and like to shitpost on twitter.

Microsoft is actually paying these guys, and you can tell because there's less trash talk and more corporate speak and buzzwords. Talks about acquisitions, gamepass, news, etc. Actual Fanboys don't conduct themselves in such a manner.

All the large brands interact with content creators these days. They might never actually pay them, but they could certainly have an email list or something like that where they will try and set the narrative they hope gets carried forward (think Nvidia really trying to sell $400 gpus as 1080p cards, before the performance could be tested, etc.).

DaGwaphics

My point was actually that they should have tried to shift the narrative about the PC releases in their community of players BEFORE they announced the first releases. Not doing that was a mistake IMO.

I'm not sure how that would prove that they shouldn't interact with their community more. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Maybe there are but in the case of PS and ESPECIALLY Nintendo i highly doubt they're getting paid to make Sony/Nintendo look good. I think they do it because they're dumb fanboys and like to shitpost on twitter.

Microsoft is actually paying these guys, and you can tell because there's less trash talk and more corporate speak and buzzwords. Talks about acquisitions, gamepass, news, etc. Actual Fanboys don't conduct themselves in such a manner.
Not only that but they are eerily consistent in their positivity/optimism. Real fanboys have violent mood swings between sniffing their favourite platform's fart to wanting to slap the CEO.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SO I will say it again:
It is absolutely FALSE to say that Sony engages in PR/social media/community at a level anywhere remotely close to the level of MS and your counter-evidence to that is mentioning a blog/podcast called Initiative something something with some dude named Eric that I (and probably most of GAF) have never heard of?

That's cute. Keep it up.

But no one heard of, or knew about, these guys from the OP before this topic either ...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It makes sense Microsoft is paying influencers I have no problem with this, now trusted sources become more valuable.

Top Bottom