• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tells influencers to prepare fans before BAD News announcements to Damage control

What could possibly be that bad that they need to speak to fucking influencers to prepare people for? It’s just frustrating to watch influencers sugar coat shit and defend these asshole companies for money. It’s disingenuous and just wrong.
If this is the same podcast I think it was in reference to Xbox going from 60 dollar first party games to 70 dollar first party games. It was interesting, they are clearly scared shitless of any bad PR because well let’s be honest the Xbox is one of the most hated brands online, and they definitely know it lol.

These two shills remain a black mark on Last Stand Media, an endeavor which started on the premise of independence, free from the grasp of these brands. It’s a shame that for their Xbox podcast they had to rely on these two, but maybe you can’t get anybody for a Xbox focused podcast that isn’t a shill working for the brand.
Quick run down on these two shills?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yAkm4QC.png
angry friday the 13th GIF by Travis Falligant

Everyone knows I like xbox but those people are on a whole other level.

I like to think (and hope) myself, adamsapple adamsapple , Riky Riky etc do not come across anything like those loons.

MadPanda

Banned
Can you explain what "Microsoft contacted them in advance to prepare for the blowback" means?
No, I can't. That's obvious to anyone speaking English. That's not the point here. If someone tells you there's a storm coming so be prepared is very different to there's a storm coming prepare others for it.

Interesting and I don’t think that this is far fetched. I’m not sure it would be terrible news for fans though.

Like I said in a previous post, the only thing I can think of is a Starfield delay, potentially into next year. This is one of the only things I think that would piss off the Xbox community and need real damage control.
It’s crazy what a bad thread title can do

angry friday the 13th GIF by Travis Falligant

Everyone knows I like xbox but those people are on a whole other level.

I like to think (and hope) myself, adamsapple adamsapple , Riky Riky etc do not come across anything like those loons.
You and Adam no.

Riky? You must be high if you don't think he acts like that. Guy shoe horns in random promotions that have nothing to do with the conversation to let people know an Xbox positive .

Example, can't discuss hitman without mentioning that it's 4k.

Mentions how he can take his Xbox hard drive round to a friend's if he wanted to 😂 whenever there is an SSD discussion.
Unironically argues that redfall is a 10/10 and goty.

The list goes on and on..

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
You and Adam no.

Riky? You must be high if you don't think he acts like that. Guy shoe horns in random promotions that have nothing to do with the conversation to let people know an Xbox positive .

Example, can't discuss hitman without mentioning that it's 4k.

Mentions how he can take his Xbox hard drive round to a friend's if he wanted to 😂 whenever there is an SSD discussion.
Unironically argues that redfall is a 10/10 and goty.

The list goes on and on..
100% on riky but adam does it too sometimes depending on the threads

Now I'm curious to see what's still to come.

Edit:
Could MS discontinue the Xbox series S?
Naah dont think they will do that. That would be suicide, the XboxSeriesS is the top seller for Xbox and MS.

And i dont think that MS will drop the demand that all thirdparty games must run on the SeriesS and the SeriesX.
That would mean that a lot developers will drop the Series S versions and only develop the SeriesX version. That would also means suicide for the seriesS. But thats MS's own fault.

Last edited:

SHA

I don't disagree that Sony should focus on games and less on a social media presence. Sony prefers to let their games do the talking. However, I don't think it would hurt for them to do a little bit. I am certainly not in favor of Xbox's country club buddies with the community, without strong first games to back it up. I am also not in favor of Sony's ultra secret, stay in the shadows, do one press release stuff here and there.
Shaun Laden is super shy, you get the picture.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jez Corden from Xbox Two is actually on the Microsoft shit Maybe I'm only listening to the ones who arnt selling MSs PR for them, but Xbox copes a shit ton more blowback from their own "influencers " than Sony does from theirs.
I still want to know who all these Sony influencers are. You guys keep talking about them, but never mention who does this shilling.

Again, please tell me who are the big time Sony influencers are. How big is their audience?

It seems like the only shilling for Sony comes from forum members. If you want to make that argument.

SHA

I still want to know who all these Sony influencers are. You guys keep talking about them, but never mention who does this shilling.

Again, please tell me who are the big time Sony influencers are. How big is their audience?

It seems like the only shilling for Sony comes from forum members. If you want to make that argument.
They got Bafta, there's no need for them to embrace themselves.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, if people sign up to be ‘ambassadors’ or ‘influencers’, it has a specific meaning.

I’m not sure why OP’s roped in Redfall or bad reviews when that’s not coming up in the discussion in the linked video.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If this is the same podcast I think it was in reference to Xbox going from 60 dollar first party games to 70 dollar first party games. It was interesting, they are clearly scared shitless of any bad PR because well let’s be honest the Xbox is one of the most hated brands online, and they definitely know it lol.

Is Xbox hated? Or is it just not loved as much as Playstation and Nintendo?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Is Xbox hated? Or is it just not loved as much as Playstation and Nintendo?
Is hated. The problem is when it's Sony that does some shit, Sony boys just don't care, Nintendo boys mostly don't care, and Xbox boys just points and gets ignored by the others. When it's Nintendo, Sony boys are screaming and Nintendo boys mostly just cry, while Xbox guys are like "yeah... it's shit". When is Xbox, Xbox boys they just turn into a cocoon, PlayStation guys bullies, and Nintendo guys mostly don't care

mckmas8808

Is hated. The problem is when it's Sony that does some shit, Sony boys just don't care, Nintendo boys mostly don't care, and Xbox boys just points and gets ignored by the others. When it's Nintendo, Sony boys are screaming and Nintendo boys mostly just cry, while Xbox guys are like "yeah... it's shit". When is Xbox, Xbox boys they just turn into a cocoon, PlayStation guys bullies, and Nintendo guys mostly don't care

You sure? Because I've seen people criticize both Sony and Nintendo. What is true also though is that good content can make bad moves "go away" per say.

Last edited:

sachos

admit that they are informed by microsoft before announcing bad news to prepare fans and spread good PR to compensate/hide the bad news that are coming
In the video you posted he never said any of that... just that PR reached to them to inform THEM about the bad news coming.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Never thought marketing would ever do something like this. I’m shocked.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous.

Michael Richards Yes GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shocking. Assumed 'leakers' or 'contacts' they had were in some way tied back to a 'reliable source.

Sony would never do that kind of shit.
Don't believe me? Ask David Manning.
Seriously. Go ask him.

This amazing post is probably gonna go over a lot of people's heads (y)

Karak

don’t bother, adamsapple is just obfuscating, I don’t believe for a second he’s never heard of Matty and Cog before

we’ve had threads about them before, Defining Duke was originally Matty & Karak Karak after all and it was a big deal when Colin launched an Xbox podcast since it was his company going more into gaming broadly when previously it was just his own PlayStation podcast
Late to this. I have never ever heard this ever. I am not saying it's not happening or is. But I can say that my attitude towards the companies and the lack of some of the stuff I do doesn't endear me to some. Not better not worse, just how business works and so i might not be on those lists.

schaft0620

There are two things going on in this thread; one, some people are confused and think this post means bad news is coming. That's not what OP is saying. OP is implying that Xbox influencers are warned and almost like media trained when bad news is coming. Two, there has been a complete misrepresentation of what they are saying and that's really that when bad stuff is going down they become aware of it through people in the know. I can speak to that first hand when I posted about Redfall on here well in advanced to reviews dropping. I knew because people I know and trust were telling me about the game in one or two words prior to its launch. This is what he is referring to. You can look at my post history with Redfall.

Cog is a close friend of mine and he is one of the most honorable guys in the industry. He is not working a coordinated marketing effort with Microsoft in ANY capacity, they both openly say they didn't get Redfall review codes.

Well there was the Helldivers leak where clearly there are influencers that are being told stuff the general public is not, under the guise of working together. BTW this is not news/review sites, Sony is pulling people in and working with them.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

There are two things going on in this thread; one, some people are confused and think this post means bad news is coming. That's not what OP is saying. OP is implying that Xbox influencers are warned and almost like media trained when bad news is coming. Two, there has been a complete misrepresentation of what they are saying and that's really that when bad stuff is going down they become aware of it through people in the know. I can speak to that first hand when I posted about Redfall on here well in advanced to reviews dropping. I knew because people I know and trust were telling me about the game in one or two words prior to its launch. This is what he is referring to. You can look at my post history with Redfall.

Cog is a close friend of mine and he is one of the most honorable guys in the industry. He is not working a coordinated marketing effort with Microsoft in ANY capacity, they both openly say they didn't get Redfall review codes.

So you are saying that it's not "coordinated". That information just gets to media people naturally. I'm confused. Or are you saying that some in the industry aren't directly "helping" Microsoft when bad news drops, the media just gets the news early from people that work at Microsoft that like to leak information?

schaft0620

So you are saying that it's not "coordinated". That information just gets to media people naturally. I'm confused. Or are you saying that some in the industry aren't directly "helping" Microsoft when bad news drops, the media just gets the news early from people that work at Microsoft that like to leak information?

I am saying both

Top Bottom