• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tells influencers to prepare fans before BAD News announcements to Damage control

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sycophantic behaviour...
Khloe Kardashian Winner GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

SHA

And yet you, as someone who typically craps on Xbox here, routinely listen to their podcast? And actively monitor their gamer scores? That’s not weird at all.

When I listened to the podcast, they certainly talked about a lot of games.
Any real excuse should lead to buying
pc, most console problems don't exist on pc, if they keep whining for hours, just ignore them, they don't have real purpose on doing all that.

MadPanda

Banned
Xbox influencers/amabassdors admit that they are informed by microsoft before announcing bad news to prepare fans and spread good PR to compensate/hide the bad news that are coming

This explains why we see alot of damage control or whataboutism online when there is bad news from xbox

Video from the podcast that i found on twitter

Full podcast here

But that isn't what he said in the clip!? He said Microsoft contacted them in advance to prepare for the blowback, not that influencers should prepare someone else.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't disagree that Sony should focus on games and less on a social media presence. Sony prefers to let their games do the talking. However, I don't think it would hurt for them to do a little bit. I am certainly not in favor of Xbox's country club buddies with the community, without strong first games to back it up. I am also not in favor of Sony's ultra secret, stay in the shadows, do one press release stuff here and there.
I just don't want Sony actively involved with the toxic part of the fandom.

Shuhei Yoshida is all the hype man Sony needs. And the occasional posts from Insomniac folks.

And the gif brigade the different studios do. Some find them cringe, but its not toxic.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
But that isn't what he said in the clip!? He said Microsoft contacted them in advance to prepare for the blowback, not that influencers should prepare someone else.
I am in the category of context always matters, but I listened to the clip and it's hard for me to feel that what he said was taken out of context unless there was a joke I missed in the few minutes before.

Darchaos

Influencers/Streamers and all opportunistic fucks in the world needs to just fuck off. Imagine if everyone in the world had that mindset to chase "EZ" money, no real work would exist and the world would stop to exist.

Everything, when announcing price increases of games, consoles
When removing the 1$ gamepass offer
They do it anytime there is something bad
I have no idea what influencers get told and what they don't, but you all mustn't listen to many of the Xbox shows I do.
When MS was going to increase the cost of Live it was the xbox community led by the so called "influencers" (what a fucking wank the whole influencers thing is), who smashed Xbox about it.
Every single xbox show, excluding Xboxera, smashed Redfall over how shit it was.
All the xbox shows I listen to have said that Gampass core is a bit of a wank, as it's basically just a renaming of Gold. These same people are also saying that Xbox should just nuke live and make it free to play online.
Every single xbox show I listen to would laugh at how shit the games that MS would put on Gold were.

Jez Corden from Xbox Two is actually on the Microsoft shit list for leaking game info such as Project Midnight and Project Cobalt etc.

Maybe I'm only listening to the ones who arnt selling MSs PR for them, but Xbox copes a shit ton more blowback from their own "influencers " than Sony does from theirs.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have no idea what influencers get told and what they don't, but you all mustn't listen to many of the Xbox shows I do.
When MS was going to increase the cost of Live it was the xbox community led by the so called "influencers" (what a fucking wank the whole influencers thing is), who smashed Xbox about it.
Every single xbox show, excluding Xboxera, smashed Redfall over how shit it was.
All the xbox shows I listen to have said that Gampass core is a bit of a wank, as it's basically just a renaming of Gold. These same people are also saying that Xbox should just nuke live and make it free to play online.
Every single xbox show I listen to would laugh at how shit the games that MS would put on Gold were.

Jez Corden from Xbox Two is actually on the Microsoft shit list for leaking game info such as Project Midnight and Project Cobalt etc.

Maybe I'm only listening to the ones who arnt selling MSs PR for them, but Xbox copes a shit ton more blowback from their own "influencers " than Sony does from theirs.
Thats the thing....other than that link I posted about Sony using celebrities, etc for actual brand marketing, awareness....who are Sony influencers?

And like someone said, MS giving a heads up that winds up turning into damage control... what influencers are doing that for Sony?

Thats the thing....other than that link I posted about Sony using celebrities, etc for actual brand marketing, awareness....who are Sony influencers?

And like someone said, MS giving a heads up that winds up turning into damage control... what influencers are doing that for Sony?
There are plenty of Sony influencers. MBG, Dreamcast guy, Moriarty, Amazing Lucas etc.

I also think that there maybe nuances about what is actually happening.
I highly doubt that MS the corporation is sending out Memos to all influencers telling them that bad news is coming out, what they want them to do, and so on.

More likely, a person at Xbox was talking to an influencer (Xbox actually talk to their community, unlike Sony) an says "oof, might be a bit of backlash coming our way this week over "insert here"".

farmerboy

Just another form of marketing. Entirely expected and normal business practice in today's world.

Nice to know and be informed, but really not much to be upset about if you really think about it. Every company on earth, hell even every person always paints themselves in the best light possible. We just have to be smart enough to see through the real A grade bullshit.

Actually no. A youtuber by the name of "King Thrash" did a video on the members of that podcast and other Pro XBOX podcasts. Clipped and uploaded on twitter. According to their own gamer scores, those guys don't actually game.

Sycophantic behaviour...

Stopped reading at King Thrash. Isn’t that the guy who used to post here and got shit on constantly for being a huge Sony warrior? Hell maybe he still posts here.

So you don’t actually know anything about the podcast or their gaming habits, got it. And this isn’t me defending Defining Duke, I’ve already said it’s doodoo. But be legit with criticism, don’t rely on twitter console warrior bullshit.

Leave it to GAF to think the shilling and PR shit-polishing is only for xbots. Sony deserves way more shit for the censorship and terrible games they're releasing, much less the outright destruction of great franchises or blocking of good games simply because it makes a dangerhair in LA feel icky compared to their bestiality fetish.

Beechos

Why is anyone surprised once again these game companies are not your friends. They'll spin anything in a way that will benefit them.

Jetpac

Always happy to educate:

shill
[ʃɪl]

NOUN
  1. an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others:
    "I used to be a shill in a Reno gambling club" · "the agency is a shill for the nuclear power industry"

Thank you brethren I did not know and now I do!

DaGwaphics

It's an important distinction that intentionally gets lost in the mix. Plus, we don't know how this was conveyed. Were they given hard information about upcoming news or did they simply feel that MS was hinting at something?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It's a common way of interfacing with influencers, but I will admit Xbox is super blatant about it. They seem to want to skimp on advertising dollars compared to the competition and have opted for this approach instead. Only time will tell if it was the right move.
Yeah i think "only time will tell" is pretty much Xbox brand logo for 20 years

Last edited:
Anybody believes that this is exclusive to one company?

Lemme guess what other companies you're trying to implicate in this...

...as if those other companies are both platform holders and have a history of designing a massive online grassroots astroturfing campaign over the course of 10+ years to control narrative and messaging among enthusiasts gamers to the degree the clip in the OP shows.

I shall wait....

MS is the biggest astroturfing machine in the world, and has been for a long time. This is no secret. The only company that could have dethroned it is Apple...But then, the latter discovered that thousands upon thousands of their possessed fans were defending the brand to the death for free...🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Exact opposite for me. The PS5 collects dust and my XSX gets all the play. The Xbox is the better value by FAR at this moment. Maybe when PlayStation releases some games it’ll change up but for now… nah

What the hell is a shill? Is that your way of saying fanboy without getting banned?

Joined 2017 and still a neo with 32 post. Yikes. Ok, who's alt is this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom