• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xiaomi unveils first ever gaming mini PC: 'Mini Host'. $400 (discount on VR headsets) 64GB RAM, Ryzen 9, 3050ti, Windows11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xiaomi is planning to launch its first desktop computer, and everything indicates that it will leave us speechless! The launch It was scheduled for today, December 1, but it had to be cancelled. Despite everything, we know that the PC will arrive at some point and that we cannot miss it!
Today the new presentation of Xiaomi was going to take place, but it had to postpone until new notice. In the statement that they have released from the signing, they have indicated that the launches will have to wait a bit. This could be due to national mourning which is taking place right now in China, due to the death of Jiang Zemin. The one who was president of the country for ten years has passed away, and the country has decided to honor the work he did.
Nevertheless, the launch will take place although with a different date. So it’s worth taking a look at what we can expect from your new PC!
Xiaomi-Mini-Host-1.png

Xiaomi-Mini-Host-2.png

Xiaomi-Mini-Host-3.png

Specifications
  • 8K support
  • 120Hz
  • Wi-Fi
  • 512 SSD (Expandable)
  • 64GB of DDR4
  • AMD Ryzen 9-5900HX
  • GeForce RTX 3050Ti
  • Ricochet lighting blend
  • Bluetooth
  • FreeSync
  • Windows 11
  • $400-$500 off of Vive(HTC) headsets with purchase
  • $100-$200 off LeEco headsets with purchase

With a reported price (pending) of $400, Xiaomi has revealed their first ever gaming PC, or rather PC in general. It will also at participating retailers heavily discount VR headsets as a bonus for every purchase.

It comes with Windows 11 no surprise, with 64 gigs of DDR4 which I'm not sure if that's an issue, given most computers use DDR5 or other things now but maybe DDR4 is still good.

There's more details about the device to be revealed with hardware, and more features and compatibility with mobile phones. The demonstration stream scheduled today was unfortunately cancelled due to national mourning in China over the death of one of the grand leaders who recently passed away, Jiang Zemin. They have not announced a new date yet for their stream yet so we only know this for now.

Luckily the weibo poster managed to send us photos of what the device looks like posted above. The tagline seems to be the windows button+M, but I'm assuming that from the picture since i can't read Chinese, but I'm guessing that sleeve in the first pic will come in the box.

The computer itself looks like a flat rectangular industrial steel crate from most sides except the back. With these specs and the mini forum factor, along with the discounts on VR, the reported $400 price is a pretty damn good deal actually.

Last edited:
Specifications
  • 8K support
  • 120Hz
  • Wi-Fi
  • 512 SSD (Expandable)
  • 64GB of DDR4
  • AMD Ryzen 9-5900HX
  • GeForce RTX 3050Ti
  • Ricochet lighting blend
  • Bluetooth
  • FreeSync
  • Windows 11
  • $400-$500 off of Vive(HTC) headsets with purchase
  • $100-$200 off LeEco headsets with purchase
The computer itself looks like a flat rectangular industrial steel crate from most sides except the back. With these specs and the mini forum factor, along with the discounts on VR, the reported $400 price is a pretty damn good deal actually.
what-is-the-catch-dani-clayton.gif

giphy.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Xiaomi keeps winning. Their phones are top tier and they've carried that expertise to their computers. This is a really good NUC PC, suprisingly good specs and a competitive price. I hope it does well, i want to see what they make later down the line

tommib tommib whats so shocking :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Crayon

God damn that's a good price. I just spent 400 upgrading a pc and this just has a lil less gpu, but way more cpu and ram.

poodaddy

I literally do not believe this is a thing. The pricing doesn't seem to make any sense. Where's the profit? Seems like pie in the sky shit. If I'm wrong, great, but there's no way that's a quality PC.

I'm sure there's going to be either a bottleneck or two or some catch to the build of the PC to afford the price. Maybe the casing is plastic and heats up easily.

Last edited:

Mowcno

A bit too big for my liking but had a lot of Xiaomi phones and never been disappointed with their quality for the price.

$400 is obviously incorrect though. 64gb of DDR4 would cost you half if that on its own.

It's probably "starting from $400" which would get you much lower specs then that.

Reallink

At $400 they'd be eating a loss in China just from buying overstock surplus of the near discontinued parts at extreme discounts. There is no chance whatsoever they could export this west anywhere near $400.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nice specs.

However, this isn't going to be that 400 figure quoted in the OP. Not a chance.

If this thing really sells for $/£400 then I'll gargle on my own nuts.

Pejo

So I give them my broswer search history in exchange for a cheap phone?

Sign me up

Maybe I'm being really innocent here, but I dont give a damn about them having my data.

$400 for all of this is pretty nuts
Browsing history is just what's been found. The issue is that they lied about it when confronted with the data.

Data privacy and privacy in general seems to mean so little to the average joe though, so I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise. But when something is cheap like this for what you're getting, there's a good chance that they are making subsidies off of selling your data. And if you think your data is so worthless, ask yourself this - why are people willing to pay for it?

People seem to have no problem giving up their rights and privileges just to save a few hundred bucks on a gaming machine, so who am I to poopoo that for them.

Trilobit

Isn't this what sometimes happens in the beginning when a tech firm wants to make it in a new market? They sell astounding tech for a super cheap price and then later on raise the prices as they've made a good name with tech enthusiasts. Like what happened with some smartphones. Oneplus and Poco comes to mind.

Hugare

Browsing history is just what's been found. The issue is that they lied about it when confronted with the data.

Data privacy and privacy in general seems to mean so little to the average joe though, so I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise. But when something is cheap like this for what you're getting, there's a good chance that they are making subsidies off of selling your data. And if you think your data is so worthless, ask yourself this - why are people willing to pay for it?

People seem to have no problem giving up their rights and privileges just to save a few hundred bucks on a gaming machine, so who am I to poopoo that for them.
For marketing

There are tons and tons of companies that buy data to direct their product to the right possible buyer

My post graduation degree is about big data and how it's used by companies

"Giving up their rights and privileges" is so hyperbolic for what actually happens, honestly

It means so little to the average Joe because most of the world lost the war on surveillance to Big Tech nearly 20 years ago. Suddenly everyone cares more recently because of world events affecting them on a personal level and needing something to blame for it. Thus they will pull out their shiny new Samsung phone or iPhone to remind the rest of us how bad it is... like we didn't already know this for years on end. It's madness.

Unless you work directly in a high position for a government, bank, or military and own a separate phone for such matters, it will continue to not physically affect you in the slightest.

I'd rather not be that guy locked inside of his house every day with covered windows, stacked mail, VPNs, secure servers, and a blackberry phone thinking that men in suits will come knocking any minute because they're coming for my information. You'll just end up growing old and dying as that weird guy in the neighborhood that no one really interacted with because they thought you were insane, whose house will forever immortalized as a tiktok dare because they heard it's haunted and thought it would be fun to dance in front of it.

Isn't this what sometimes happens in the beginning when a tech firm wants to make it in a new market? They sell astounding tech for a super cheap price and then later on raise the prices as they've made a good name with tech enthusiasts. Like what happened with some smartphones. Oneplus and Poco comes to mind.

I don't recall Chinese products using this strategy though, those companies usually try to undercut the competition. Xiaomi is known for putting out quality phones at affordable prices that the competition is usually $100-$300 above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom