• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
When I read the FFXV threads and see these gifs made by this gaf member SunhiLegend I wish the dude would be doing those for Yakuza.

Sega should consider asking him if he would be interested in making some for 0 in exchange for an early copy :-o like damn those gifs are insane and make the game look good.

Like I defintely feel like the gif game on Yakuza is not up to snuff although we have a few good ones.

AdwQJyn.gif

one of his latest

Beat the game. I thought the story was great. I'd rank it among the top Yakuza stories. 2>0>=6>=1>3>4>5.
They really nailed the characters. They were all great except for one with horrible voice acting.

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews on JP Amazon tho. I was like "Are you people INSANE?????????"

Menitta

Okay then, make one lol

I've been doing too much Yakuza advertising as of late so it'll probably be better if someone else made that thread :)

On it.

Edit: Eh I'll do it tomorrow morning. Too tired.

Also, Amazon JP reviews are fucked. When Monster Hunter 4 came out, it had 2 stars on Amazon.JP. Like...what? Fucking Monster Hunter.

IrishNinja

Should we make a thread about the fact that Yakuza 0, Kiwami and 6 are all getting retail release in west? I feel like that little detail flew over many peoples' heads.

yes! we should make ALL THE THREADS

i think i put in dibs for the 0 OT, but one of y'all should do the Kiwami one next summer!

When I read the FFXV threads and see these gifs made by this gaf member SunhiLegend I wish the dude would be doing those for Yakuza.

Sega should consider asking him if he would be interested in making some for 0 in exchange for an early copy :-o like damn those gifs are insane and make the game look good.

Like I defintely feel like the gif game on Yakuza is not up to snuff although we have a few good ones.

one of his latest
Yeah, he's gifs are otherworldly good. If only we could somehow bring him to our side...

That sounded a lot like what bad guys usually say lol
Beat the game. I thought the story was great. I'd rank it among the top Yakuza stories. 2>0>=6>=1>3>4>5.
They really nailed the characters. They were all great except for one with horrible voice acting.
It's great to see that you've rated 6's story so high! (And it's even more exciting to see Y0 as the game with second best story in your ranking)

After Y5, I was actually a little bit worried about how the story will turn out in Y6. So it's good to hear that it has turned out good. I wasn't that worried about Y0's story, though. I mean, it's a prequel with Majima. You can't mess that up even if you wanted to :)
On it.

Edit: Eh I'll do it tomorrow morning. Too tired.
yes! we should make ALL THE THREADS

i think i put in dibs for the 0 OT, but one of y'all should do the Kiwami one next summer!
Yeah, the more Yakuza threads the better. And I think the hype and excitement would seem more genuine if different people made the threads on gaming side. Cause you know, if one or two person do like half a dozen threads then people would probably go "yeah dude, you are crazy about this game we get it". But that wouldn't be the case if we all took turn at making Yakuza hype threads.

And now, I'm really coming up with and evil master plan. Forget my babbling, I clearly need some sleep lol

P.S: Irish, I don't know how much of a help (if any) I could be, but tell me if you needed any for Y0's OT.

Yeah, he's gifs are otherworldly good. If only we could somehow bring him to our side...

That sounded a lot like what bad guys usually say lol

It's great to see that you've rated 6's story so high! (And it's even more exciting to see Y0 as the game with second best story in your ranking)

After Y5, I was actually a little bit worried about how the story will turn out in Y6. So it's good to hear that it has turned out good. I wasn't that worried about Y0's story, though. I mean, it's a prequel with Majima. You can't mess that up even if you wanted to :)

Yeah, the more Yakuza threads the better. And I think the hype and excitement would seem more genuine if different people made the threads on gaming side. Cause you know, if one or two person do like half a dozen threads then people would probably go "yeah dude, you are crazy about this game we get it". But that wouldn't be the case if we all took turn at making Yakuza hype threads.

And now, I'm really coming up with and evil master plan. Forget my babbling, I clearly need some sleep lol

P.S: Irish, I don't know how much of a help (if any) I could be, but tell me if you needed any for Y0's OT.

I might be the minority who thinks 6's story is great tho lol.

I'm early into 6's story but I'm liking in. Then again, I think it lay a decent foundation in terms of the overall mystery with Haruka and Haruto alongside the heightening conflict between the Tojo Clan and Chinese Mafia. I'm very interested to see where they take it. I've only cleared the first two chapters though so things could change (I'm off to Hiroshima now).

The SNS trouble missions are interesting, I was damn annoyed that I messed up the bomb quest, I got my wires crossed as to where the rooftop garden is (hint, its in the theatre/millennium tower and NOT the Hotel next to Club Sega!

I'm upgrading my fighting style more with more heat moves. Unlocked a couple of decent throw moves, and also a couple for the ultimate heat mode - speaking of which - I have a heat move in that mode that needs to be pulled off following a successful dash attack, which for the life of me I can't pull off. Is the dash attack when you run and hit the triangle button to do a running jump? Or is it something else?

Aki-at

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews on JP Amazon tho. I was like "Are you people INSANE?????????"

You're the first positive person I've found on Yakuza 6 haha.

Hope the boss fights are fun! I love those in the series most.

Should we make a thread about the fact that Yakuza 0, Kiwami and 6 are all getting retail release in west? I feel like that little detail flew over many peoples' heads.

It's pretty crazy how purchasing Atlus has taken us from no Japanese Sega games in 2013 except Miku to Miku, 7th Dragon 3, 3DS Collection, Yakuza 0, Kiwami, 6 AND Valkyria Revolution by early 2018.

I'm at the point where I just expect every major Japanese Sega title to make it over now. If only Sega had Atlus sooner, maybe we could have had Ishin too :(

It's pretty crazy how purchasing Atlus has taken us from no Japanese Sega games in 2013 except Miku to Miku, 7th Dragon 3, 3DS Collection, Yakuza 0, Kiwami, 6 AND Valkyria Revolution by early 2018.

I'm at the point where I just expect every major Japanese Sega title to make it over now. If only Sega had Atlus sooner, maybe we could have had Ishin too :(
Yeah, I was so scared of them buying Atlus at first but it turned out great. The localization team at Atlus is truly amazing. For me they are right up there with Xseed as one of the best localization team we have in the industry.

You're the first positive person I've found on Yakuza 6 haha.

Hope the boss fights are fun! I love those in the series most.

What are people saying about Yakuza 6?

I know people have problems with certain stuff with the story and characters but I thought the more grounded, scaled back and personal story of Yakuza 6 was great.

Menitta

I've said this before but one of my favourite things about this series is the fact that everyone's ranking of best Yakuza games is different. Of the ones I played, my list goes 4>5>3 (excluding spin offs). The general consensus is that 2 is the best but past that, everyone's list is different. It's almost like Zelda except people are less harsh towards the ones they dislike. I love that.

Kenzan still remains my favourite in the series (though 0 might have surpassed it). Ishin, 4 and 5 also have enough epic moments to make it high up my list. The original 2 games will always be big favourites of mine as well due to the characters/story. Its really hard to pick a favourite since every game has at least one thing that I really love about the series (its a great problem to have!).

So, played a bit more of 6 today (up to chapter 3 now in Hiroshima). Two things I noted - the first is how nice the change of scenery is. Hiroshima looks beautiful, its the opposite of Kamuracho in that its a quieter town with all the huge neon signs and foot traffic. Its a nice breath of fresh air location wise, but I do really miss the arcade and Mah Jong parlor (as I'm loving Outrun in this game, the difficulty tweaking has made it perfect in my opinion, I can actually finish the damn game now!) and I miss Mah Jong because I've managed to make a half decent amount of money (which I can put back into the Hostesses when I start that part of the game.
The other thing I noticed is that I wonder how people who hated the beginning of Yakuza 3 will find chapter 3 so far where you
babysit Haruto
. Basically next to no action bar a couple of 1 on 1 fights. It looks like you can probably rush through it faster than those early chapters of 3 though so I doubt it'll be a big complaint, but it did get a bit annoying when
I was looking for milk and had to entertain Haruto every few steps... though I will give the game its due as its modeled Haruto, his facial expressions and his gestures really well. Plus its funny to see that softer side of Kiryu. Certainly a nice contrast to just a few minutes prior when I was chucking some poor fool into a microwave!

I can't wait to visit Kamuracho at night. Its the reason I've held off completely exploring the city, as it just looks more "alive" at night.

Menitta

I always love the art direction in Yakuza games. The neon lights add a lot of character to the city. I've never been to Japan so if it's actually like that, I don't know but Yakuza always stands out among other games set in modern cities.

IrishNinja

I can't wait to visit Kamuracho at night. Its the reason I've held off completely exploring the city, as it just looks more "alive" at night.

agreed, and i love the idea of it being more seedy in the day, too...like, id love a game in pre giulliani NY for times square alone, so this is cool.

honestly akimaya's section of kamurocho in 4 while it was raining was one of my favorite settings in gaming, it just had this great noir feel to it.

Ok. I know Yakuza 6 has far less side stories compared to past games but especially in Hiroshima the quality of the side missions have really delivered so far and I'm still at the beginning of chapter 4...

The time traveler side story was really nice with a decent payoff at the end of the story. Well that and I ended up throwing one of the thugs onto a moving train and watched him disappear into the night (it might be my new favourite heat move in the game).

Then I walked through a small grave yard and ended up in some sort of dream world fighting a ghost samurai. No idea what was going on there...

Finally, and definitely up there with the best the series has to offer (besides the cow UFO abduction in Kenzan!) is the side mission where Kiryu ends up dressing up as a mascot to 1. entertain children, 2. get interviewed on a talk show (still in character/costume) and best of all 3. fight a bunch of thugs still in costume, with many of the heat moves looking brilliantly absurd. I was cracking up during some of the dialog choices you get alongside the battle at the end, Yakuza can still do these side missions like no other game I've played, they go between hilarious, touching and insane on a dime.

cj_iwakura

Having been to Kabuki-cho, the similarities were sure there. I didn't venture too deep into that city, though. On my own in Tokyo? I wasn't taking stupid risks.

Gacha-pin

Finished 6. A song of life.......。period :(

It took me 45 hours and I completed 202 activities out of 285. Considering I spent about 15 hours on playing mahjong, 6 is a very small and short game. Overall, I enjoyed the story but the ending is

I kinda knew Kiryu wouldn't die because 6 has the premium adventure mode :p But I dislike the whole idea the last part of the post credit cut scenes. I was almost moved when Kiryu writes a farewell message to Daigo. But the following Kiryu's fake death explanation part ruined completely. Looking back to what Nagoshi said in the sega live streaming, he wanted to end the story of Kiryu and Haruka with Kamurocho. Now I see the point. The story of Kiryu and Haruka with Kamurocho ends in 6 but Kiryu's story is to be continued...a taxi company manager with Suzuki-san in Fukuoka is the next game from RGG Studio?

As for Beat Takeshi as Hirose, I don't think Beat Takeshi is a good actor and he didn't act well in most of the parts. But he did a great acting in the scene where Hirose asks Big Rou to leave Japan. And the sweat on Big Rou's face in that scene is the best cold sweat in the vidoe game history. 6 got a worse voice actor than Takeshi so his voice acting is not a big problem though ;p

D-Man

Started Y4 last night. Akiyama is a cool guy and I like him quite a bit. Game feels just like Y3 but a little smoother. Can't wait to get deeper into it!

IrishNinja

should i email amazon and ask them to get me a gamestop exclusive poster somehow

i mean i know they can only do so much but stillllll

Jimrpg

I thought of making a thread in the coming few days to try and drum up some interest in preordering Yakuza 0. After all its only a month away. I kinda want to wait till after boxing day as I want to see if there's any boxing day discounts I can take advantage of before preordering. Want to show my 'receipts' before making the thread.

should i email amazon and ask them to get me a gamestop exclusive poster somehow

i mean i know they can only do so much but stillllll
You reaaaally want that poster, don't you? xD

I thought of making a thread in the coming few days to try and drum up some interest in preordering Yakuza 0. After all its only a month away. I kinda want to wait till after boxing day as I want to see if there's any boxing day discounts I can take advantage of before preordering. Want to show my 'receipts' before making the thread.
Menitta made one actually.

Reminder: Yakuza Kiwami and 6 will all be releasing physically

Sgblues

Platinum for Yakuza 6: GET!

Could have done it sooner but haven't been home most of the time this whole two weeks so decided to push through and get it done before Christmas, overall a fun ride and other than some grinding, its a pretty easy platinum to get.

Coda

Platinum for Yakuza 6: GET!

Could have done it sooner but haven't been home most of the time this whole two weeks so decided to push through and get it done before Christmas, overall a fun ride and other than some grinding, its a pretty easy platinum to get.

I'm currently on my path to get it myself. Just beat the game today.

Can anyone translate this screenshot? I just beat the game and wanna load my new save but I don't know what this is asking me.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1pVbRWc.jpg[/IMG]

As far as trophies are concerned these are the ones I need that I'm a bit confused about the criteria or where to go: (if anyone can help with how to get them please let me know)

Amon Defeated (Defeated Amon on any difficulty)
-I never fought this guy in the main story. Where do you go to fight him?

Player (Played at all the spots)
-I'm pretty sure I've played at all the play spots but still haven't gotten this trophy. Do you have to play everything in a game place or can you just play one thing?

Guardian of the Sea (Defeated the Emperor Squid)
-Where do I go to do this minigame?

Bar Frequenter (Bar rank reached level 2)
-How do you do this? Do you just go to bars and level up your drink capability?

Congrats on your First Win! (Was victorious in grass-lot baseball for the first time)
-Where do I go to play baseball games, I only know about the batting cages in Tokyo and played that one game in Hiroshima.

Commermorative Photo (Took a photo at Michio Ono's photo spot)
-I did the first part of the Michio Ono side story where you entertain the kids near the pier but what do you do or where do you go after to continue the side quest? Is the photo spot obvious once you complete the side story?

Thanks!

Gacha-pin

I'm currently on my path to get it myself. Just beat the game today.

Can anyone translate this screenshot? I just beat the game and wanna load my new save but I don't know what this is asking me.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1pVbRWc.jpg[/IMG]

As far as trophies are concerned these are the ones I need that I'm a bit confused about the criteria or where to go: (if anyone can help with how to get them please let me know)

Amon Defeated (Defeated Amon on any difficulty)
-I never fought this guy in the main story. Where do you go to fight him?

Player (Played at all the spots)
-I'm pretty sure I've played at all the play spots but still haven't gotten this trophy. Do you have to play everything in a game place or can you just play one thing?

Guardian of the Sea (Defeated the Emperor Squid)
-Where do I go to do this minigame?

Bar Frequenter (Bar rank reached level 2)
-How do you do this? Do you just go to bars and level up your drink capability?

Congrats on your First Win! (Was victorious in grass-lot baseball for the first time)
-Where do I go to play baseball games, I only know about the batting cages in Tokyo and played that one game in Hiroshima.

-I did the first part of the Michio Ono side story where you entertain the kids near the pier but what do you do or where do you go after to continue the side quest? Is the photo spot obvious once you complete the side story?

Thanks!

Yes is new game +. No is premium adventure mode where you get to explore the city to complete side quests and play mini games.

Coda

So this is the only trophy I'm still unsure about:

-I did both parts of the Michio Ono side story where you entertain the kids near the pier and entertain in the bar but what do you do or where do you go after to continue the side quest? How many parts of this sub story are there? Is the photo spot obvious once you complete the side story?

Also here are some active sub stories I have at the moment, can someone who knows Japanese do a rough translation as to what I need to do for these? They don't have markers on the map so I have no idea where to go to complete them.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xisY4UM.jpg[/IMG]

Happy Holidays, my sworn Yakuza kyoudais :)

So how lost am I going to be getting the 3 Yakuza's coming to PS4 having never played any others before?
Not that much actually. Zero is a prequel to the entire series and Kiwami is remake of Yakuza 1. Yakuza 6 could be a bit harder to get into but from what I've heard it has a good recap at the beginning of the game that tells you what you need to know from Yakuza 5, so you should be okay on that front as well.

Somnia

Not that much actually. Zero is a prequel to the entire series and Kiwami is remake of Yakuza 1. Yakuza 6 could be a bit harder to get into but from what I've heard it has a good recap at the beginning of the game that tells you what you need to know from Yakuza 5, so you should be okay on that front as well.

Awesome, thanks!

Past

I've played a bit of Ishin and seen a couple of Yakuza 0 videos, are sidequests no longer automatically marked in the map from the start like in Yakuza 5? It seems like you have to trigger the sidequests in order for them to appear in your map like in the older games? That sucks, it was one of my favorite new feature in Yakuza 5.

I've played a bit of Ishin and seen a couple of Yakuza 0 videos, are sidequests no longer automatically marked in the map from the start like in Yakuza 5? It seems like you have to trigger the sidequests in order for them to appear in your map like in the older games? That sucks, it was one of my favorite new feature in Yakuza 5.

I thought they were still marked on the map with Ishin, but its been a while. 0 though you have to buy a powerup from Bob the Clown (you know, the guy that gives you rewards in previous rewards) and you can get a side quest finder which marks them on the map for you - Kiwami does the same thing. 6 marks (most) active side quests on the map once you start them.

Top Bottom