• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Gacha-pin

Tips for 6

To unlock the legend trophy, you don't have to start over the game again. just load the last save file and change the difficulty to Legend and beat the game again.

You can find a safe that doesn't show up on the mini map and that requires the code "L84T2B2SHF5E5YI" to open. You can find one million yen and an xp boost item in it. The location of the safe is
on the fooftop of serena building

I've played a bit of Ishin and seen a couple of Yakuza 0 videos, are sidequests no longer automatically marked in the map from the start like in Yakuza 5? It seems like you have to trigger the sidequests in order for them to appear in your map like in the older games? That sucks, it was one of my favorite new feature in Yakuza 5.

I like 0's system better. 5's system is no encounter no surprise no fun.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/813546488408240128

Alex and Dan from Giant Bomb are going to play through the series next year starting with Yakuza 0.

The only I'm worried about is the jump from Yakuza 0 to say the original version of Yakuza 1 if they're not playing Kiwami. The original always has a special place in my heart (especially the dub), but I'll be honest, it hasn't aged well in terms of combat gameplay.

TimmiT

The only I'm worried about is the jump from Yakuza 0 to say the original version of Yakuza 1 if they're not playing Kiwami. The original always has a special place in my heart (especially the dub), but I'll be honest, it hasn't aged well in terms of combat gameplay.
Alex said in a reply that they'll play Kiwami.

I finished Yakuza 4 last night. Really enjoyed the game with the twists and turns from the story. Is there any tips on fighting against gun wielders? Also, I find Munakata and his guards to be very annoying. Should I play Yakuza 5 and 0 next? I'm definitely getting Kiwami when it comes out here.

I finished Yakuza 4 last night. Really enjoyed the game with the twists and turns from the story. Is there any tips on fighting against gun wielders? Also, I find Munakata and his guards to be very annoying. Should I play Yakuza 5 and 0 next? I'm definitely getting Kiwami when it comes out here.
Yeah for sure. 5 Is a great game and a lot of people rank 0 as their top 3 in the series.

Gacha-pin

Yeah, playing the older entries is always good. If you haven't played Y1, I even recommend that you should play Kiwami prior to Y0 and make yourself connect with Nishiki; Nishiki is a major supporting character in Y1=Kiwami and Y0. You will be moved more and it will make Y0 something. This is just my opinion based on my experience and it seems most yakuza gafs dont' agree with this idea though.

You should play Yakuza 5 but I think if you are planning to do Yakuza 0 when it comes out then maybe it would be better to put Yakuza 5 on hold for now. Yakuza games are very long and content heavy games, so playing 3 of them back to back to back might not be a good idea. You might feel series fatigue.

I'd recommend you to sit on Yakuza 5 for now and play Yakuza 0 when it comes out. After that you'll have around 6 months to go through Yakuza 5 before Yakuza Kiwami releases some time during summer.

So they brought back
the Pocket Circuit
guy again in RGG6. Its great to see the little nods here and there seeing how characters age in the series, plus his side stories in 0 and Kiwami were some of my favourites.

I've played more of chapter 5 today and unlocked more mini games in Hiroshima finally - namely the baseball and gang leader stuff. Not really done much of Baseball bar the initial match and then some recruitment but I've enjoyed the related mini games in the past so hopefully I'll enjoy this. The gang management stuff I'm not sure on, I'm not a fan of the complete lack of control you get in this mode, I had a point where I almost lost a mission because the enemy was down to one hit then my guys couldn't lay that final hit on him... Hopefully that won't happen again.

Some of the heat moves seem to have insanely strict timings unless I'm doing something wrong - the two heat moves related to the gun seem really hard/almost impossible to pull off.

Copying this here so that it might have a better chance of being seen by John Hardin.
Finally decided to pre-order Y0 digitally so yay on that!

But I noticed something while browsing store on PS4. Yakuza 0 is not in the pre-order section of the store! Even game like ME:A or Persona 5 which are supposed to come out much later are there but no Yakuza 0. I had to search manually for the game to be able to pre-order it.

I think that's bad and can affect the sales. John if you are reading this, is there anything you can do to fix that? Like contacting Sony or something? Yakuza 0 deserve some spotlight.

Yeah, playing the older entries is always good. If you haven't played Y1, I even recommend that you should play Kiwami prior to Y0 and make yourself connect with Nishiki; Nishiki is a major supporting character in Y1=Kiwami and Y0. You will be moved more and it will make Y0 something. This is just my opinion based on my experience and it seems most yakuza gafs dont' agree with this idea though.

You should play Yakuza 5 but I think if you are planning to do Yakuza 0 when it comes out then maybe it would be better to put Yakuza 5 on hold for now. Yakuza games are very long and content heavy games, so playing 3 of them back to back to back might not be a good idea. You might feel series fatigue.

I'd recommend you to sit on Yakuza 5 for now and play Yakuza 0 when it comes out. After that you'll have around 6 months to go through Yakuza 5 before Yakuza Kiwami releases some time during summer.

Okay, thanks guys. I'll hold off 5 and wait for that game to be on sale (if that happens). I checked that Yakuza 0 is coming out next year in January, any ideas on what day?

Damn the story in Yakuza 6 has finally kicked up a gear (end of chapter 5). Plus I loved the
heist style setup for the main "level" - until it inevitably goes wrong
. I wish the game would throw more enemies like this at you more, heck the gang mode would be more enjoyable if it'd be more of a survival mode in the vain of "Kiryu Vs everyone else" with large numbers of enemies to fight against...

I'm still really enjoying the story as well, I get the feeling that
a huge gang war is just waiting to kick off, and that someone is definitely getting stabbed in the back. I just can't work out who yet, as I get the feeling each character in the game would screw each other over if given the chance

Also played more on the snack bar and fishing mini games. I'm loving the snack bar mini game at the moment - mainly just because it has Karaoke and Darts in it, and leveling up your friendship gauge with the locals is strangely addictive. Fishing is now a lightgun game, and I'm really enjoying it - pity it seems to just be 3 stages though :( Still, hopefully getting all the fish will take me a few tries, its a nice breath of fresh air compared to the fishing mini game that was introduced in 5 (I was never a big fan of river fishing compared to sea fishing of 3-4).

Oh well, looks like I'm
heading back to Kamuracho next chapter, which is a pity as I opened up all these mini games late into my time in Hiroshima so its a pity to be leaving again so soon (not like I won't come back to the place, but still...). At least I can look forward to hitting the arcade and Mah Jong parlor again!

Gacha-pin

Some of the heat moves seem to have insanely strict timings unless I'm doing something wrong - the two heat moves related to the gun seem really hard/almost impossible to pull off.

You have problems with the heat moves against the enemies with weapons, right? Think those heat moves as a counterattack like 虎落し; I don't know what this is called in English version...tiger drop? After I realized this, I have no problem with those heat moves.

Oh well, looks like I'm
heading back to Kamuracho next chapter, which is a pity as I opened up all these mini games late into my time in Hiroshima so its a pity to be leaving again so soon (not like I won't come back to the place, but still...). At least I can look forward to hitting the arcade and Mah Jong parlor again!

I kinda feel like once you get on the main story ride, you have less opportunity to do the side stuff this time.

Okay, thanks guys. I'll hold off 5 and wait for that game to be on sale (if that happens). I checked that Yakuza 0 is coming out next year in January, any ideas on what day?

That's not what I said, you have some Y5-related quests in Y0 (><) But This is &#65354;ust a game. Do what you feel comfortable :)

You have problems with the heat moves against the enemies with weapons, right? Think those heat moves as a counterattack like &#34382;&#33853;&#12375;; I don't know what this is called in English version...tiger drop? After I realized this, I have no problem with those heat moves.

I kinda feel like once you get on the main story ride, you have less opportunity to do the side stuff this time.

That's not what I said, you have some Y5-related quests in Y0 (><) But This is &#65354;ust a game. Do what you feel comfortable :)

Yeah, the counter attack ones. So is it best to just hit triangle as they are attacking even if the heat prompt doesn't pop up? Should trying to naturally counter attack the enemy (as if I were performing the tiger drop) be enough to get the timing down correctly?

I'm torn on where I spend my time on 6. I so badly want to see where the story goes but I do love several of the side activities that I don't want to solely focus on one or the other. Getting a good split of both done is proving to be pretty difficult. Didn't help that some of the dialog seems overly drawn out - the gang leader mini game especially felt like it had to draw out each scene painfully, one drawback of everything being voiced I guess, I'd regularly speed read my way through the more dry sections. Still, props to that mode for the nostalgic Yakuza 1 reference
hearing them mention that Justis was originally set up to counter the colour gangs of Kamuracho (Bloody Eye etc.) was an awesome little nod to the series origins

Gacha-pin

Yeah, the counter attack ones. So is it best to just hit triangle as they are attacking even if the heat prompt doesn't pop up? Should trying to naturally counter attack the enemy (as if I were performing the tiger drop) be enough to get the timing down correctly?

I'm torn on where I spend my time on 6. I so badly want to see where the story goes but I do love several of the side activities that I don't want to solely focus on one or the other. Getting a good split of both done is proving to be pretty difficult. Didn't help that some of the dialog seems overly drawn out - the gang leader mini game especially felt like it had to draw out each scene painfully, one drawback of everything being voiced I guess, I'd regularly speed read my way through the more dry sections. Still, props to that mode for the nostalgic Yakuza 1 reference
hearing them mention that Justis was originally set up to counter the colour gangs of Kamuracho (Bloody Eye etc.) was an awesome little nod to the series origins

Yap, it makes easier to me to do those heat moves than to wait the prompt to show up and then press the button.

A question for guys who have done the hostess clubs in Yakuza 5. I currently have around 7 million yen, is that enough or should I gather more money before trying to do all hostess stuff.

I remember spending around a couple of millions on them in Y4.

4uU95cF.jpg

So my wife got me a couple of Ryu ga Gotoku related things for Christmas knowing I'm a huge fan of the series..

xezuru

So my wife got me a couple of Ryu ga Gotoku related things for Christmas knowing I'm a huge fan of the series..

Of course figma would give kiryu a fuckin gun, lol.
Interested in that anniversery book, is it like an artbook or a full development cycle retrospective type thing

IrishNinja

fuckin awesome man! hopefully my figma gets here soon, yours looks great

Of course figma would give kiryu a fuckin gun, lol.
Interested in that anniversery book, is it like an artbook or a full development cycle retrospective type thing

it's both, you have breakdowns on much of the series' lore but there's a ton of fantastic art for those of us who don't speak japanese too

But it's the golden gun, makes sense.

Would have much preferred a bicycle or traffic cone, though!

I coulda sworn it was supposed to have come with the traffic cone.... First run or preorder version maybe?

EDIT: If you preordered it from Good Smile you get the traffic cone.

I'm just ready for 2017 games as a whole. Seems insane that I'll have Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 in English AND Resident Evil 7 all by the end of January! That's pretty much the best Jan lineup I can remember in recent times...

xezuru

I'm just ready for 2017 games as a whole. Seems insane that I'll have Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 in English AND Resident Evil 7 all by the end of January! That's pretty much the best Jan lineup I can remember in recent times...

If shit doesn't flop on me, Yakuza 0 from only short gameplay impressions seems like all I ever wanted from the best Yakuza possible, NioH might be the change in Souls games I've been waiting for so long, and Nier Automata might be the non-budget and maybe even only story intense crazy platinum game in forever. Trilogy of character action, hoping 2017 is to me what people are seeing in 2016.

If shit doesn't flop on me, Yakuza 0 from only short gameplay impressions seems like all I ever wanted from the best Yakuza possible, NioH might be the change in Souls games I've been waiting for so long, and Nier Automata might be the non-budget and maybe even only story intense crazy platinum game in forever. Trilogy of character action, hoping 2017 is to me what people are seeing in 2016.

Yeah, I took a break from console gaming for most of this year (just catching up with a few games I missed now) but its really 2017 that has me hyped. I played the Nioh beta a few months back and thought it was an immense improvement over the alpha, its a day 1 buy for me now. Ditto with Nier, the demo sold me on that game.

And yeah, Yakuza 0 is still sitting as one of the best in the series to me. It helps that it had a stellar cast of characters and side activities/side stories to delve into. Between 0 and 6, while I do love the advancements 6 has in the game world, and certain things it does with the combat I'd probably have to say - comparing 0 to the 5 chapters I've done so far of 6 I'd put 0 ahead in my ranking. It'll be interesting to see where I stand on 6 once I finish the story, while I don't know how it ends, I've seen more general negative sentiment over the ending, but I like where the story is going so far...

I do have the feeling though that 6 is essentially the PS4's "Yakuza 3" - in that its a decent floor plan for the next full Yakuza game on the system. A prospective Yakuza 7 should be even better taking everything from 6, and simply building on top of it. I'd expect more side activities to return/be introduced and them to expand Kamuracho into Kamuracho Hills finally, adding back in the areas that were excluded in 6. Introduce more heat moves etc. Makes me think we'll get another lower budget Yakuza this year and a proper sequel next year. That's just me speculating though!

Fun fact, don't be listening to final boss themes of Yakuza series if your still playing another entry in the series through, I now know just who you fight at the end of Yakuza 6 :( Oh well, at least I didn't spoil the story for myself. Yet.

It's actually interesting when you think about it. 2017 could be the first year in a very very long time that Japan goes without a home console RGG (re)release.

2008 - RGG Kenzan
2009 - RGG 3
2010 - RGG 4
2011 - RGG Of The End
2012 - RGG 5
2013 - RGG 1&2 HD (WiiU)
2014 - RGG Ishin
2015 - RGG 0
2016 - RGG Kiwami & RGG 6

I wouldn't mind letting the team take some time and release the next entry late 2018 or even early 2019 in Japan. Especially if they are trying to (soft) reboot the game with RGG 7 or whatever they decide to call it. Cause you know, if it's not Kiryu then it probably wouldn't make much sense to call it 'Like a Dragon' anymore.

Funny you should mention that Sparda, there are some cool mini interviews on Yakuzafan that sort of hint at some kind of announcement next year:
http://yakuzafan.com/nagoshi-yokoyama-reflect-2016-hint-new-ryu-ga-gotoku-projects-2017/

Personally I'd be happy to just get an announcement next year. With the series soft ending with 6 (since it's supposed to tie up Kiryu's story) and the fact that less of Japan cares about home consoles these days, I'm concerned about the series future. Then again, if Asia and to a much, much lesser extent the west start picking up some slack hopefully the series will continue for another decade.

Pity 1&2HD floundered on the Wii U. I'd not be opposed to RGG on the Switch, mainly just for the portable nature of things. I dreamed of a RGG game on the Vita but that sadly never happened (no those apps don't count) but at the same time I don't want to abandon the amazing frame work Yakuza 6 has put in place.

That's an interesting read. Especially the part with Masayoshi at the end. I really think that they'll take somewhat of a new direction with the series. With Kiryu's story being finished it's only feels right for them to take the next step in the series and give us something that still feels like RGG but at the same time is really fresh and different, even more so than RGG6.

I trust in RGG team, so whatever they do I'll be there Day 1.

Yeah, I think the only thing that would stay constant in a new RGG game is Kamuracho, I feel like the city itself is almost as important of a character as Kiryu himself. I really wouldn't be surprised if (like Yakuza 5 did) the next game has a brand new character in a brand new city which is the backdrop for part of the early game before the story eventually leads him to Kamuracho. Or something.

But either way, I can't see Kamuracho not returning, that seems like a dead cert.

I think at this point they've invested too much into Kamuracho to completely abandon it. I can see them slowly moving away from it over the course of one or two next games but not right away.

xezuru

I would be fine if it's theoretically the exact same map layout of Kamurocho but they work on increasing the density so by Yakuza 8 every building is enterable :)

deadfolk

Is it possible to max out xp?

I'm playing the first chapter of Y5, and I'm at level 20. When I earn XP, the amount is reported, but it never gets added to the total.

Seems weird if that's the case, because his skills are not maxed.

Sgblues

Is it possible to max out xp?

I'm playing the first chapter of Y5, and I'm at level 20. When I earn XP, the amount is reported, but it never gets added to the total.

Seems weird if that's the case, because his skills are not maxed.

When you get to the final chapter you will be able to do a limit break to lvl 25

Top Bottom