• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Hypereides

Gold Member
Currently, playing Yakuza 5 and got to Haruka's segment. Saejima's segment could've been less long. It went on for quite some time. The hunting side game is interesting, but could've been more refined.

Yeah the arcades in Kiwami were a disappointment but keeping in tone with the original game which only had the ufo machine, I guess its better somewhat.

I'm glad in Y6 at least the arcade games returned with new ones been added, but hoping in the future they could add more classic games like Golden Axe, Altered Beast and Shinobi to name some, plus Nagoshi could have some of the games he's produced or directed like Daytona Usa or Super monkey ball which was on the companion app for RGG0 on the vita. Being ambitious would be wanting Scud race or Planet harriers or even Spikeout and not as unplayable/out of order machines in the background.

Spike Out and especially Planet Harriers would be dreams come true. I've always wanted to play both of them...

Anyway, after countless hours I've finally "finished" Yakuza 6. That is to say the story, all side missions and pretty much the entire completion list is done (I've only got 11 things left, which I'll work on over the next couple of months, there's no rush to do them since I don't get anything for 100% in this game trophy wise).

Amon rocked as a boss, glad I left him until the end. He's actually easier than previous incarnations though, his special attacks in this one were less dangerous than before, and he was actually fairly easy to counter which was really useful. Only thing I had an issue with was about 3/4 through the fight where he detonates all his drones. Is there any way to avoid taking damage on that? I ended up just activating heat mode (and since I'm fully leveled up, I can't be KO'ed in heat mode). Awesome boss music as well. Not as good as his theme from 3 but still suitably epic for his encounter.

I've got the gang creator mode done. The last mission from Hiroshima was a pain in the ass since the number of high level bosses thrown at you at once killed my team until I'd power leveled them up to 60 odd (bar Majima and Kiryu who were 70+).

Finally found all the cats as well for that side mission. What a pain that was, since the spawn rate for the last two were incredibly low...

Still, all round a super fun game to 100% in my opinion. I've been neglecting an ever increasing stack of new releases as I fail to pull myself away from Yakuza 6. Only a Legend playthrough sits between me and the platinum (Yeah I know I could load my last save before the boss but I can't bring myself to do that!)

Past

They really need to change the title for Yakuza Kiwami, that title won't work in the West. I already see some many people confused on what the game is, even calling it "Yakuza Extreme" would be confusing imo. People are going to assume that's it's a spin-off or something. I think they should rename it to "Yakuza Remake" or "Yakuza Extreme Remake".

Playing around with the PS4 share function, managed to capture a half decent fight with Sodachi that spills over into a convenience store:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORs-pdLAhA&t=23s

Only regret is not getting the microwave finisher, but I doubt he'd have let me grab him to pull it off (so a zoomed punch in the head will have to suffice!).

Also managed my best Mah Jong win ever yesterday - on one of the difficult/higher stakes tables. In rare form I managed to get the exact tiles I needed 4-5 times in a row and cleaned house. Just need to repeat that in the other Mah Jong Parlor for the last Mah Jong related completion list goal.

Rymuth

They really need to change the title for Yakuza Kiwami, that title won't work in the West. I already see some many people confused on what the game is, even calling it "Yakuza Extreme" would be confusing imo. People are going to assume that's it's a spin-off or something. I think they should rename it to "Yakuza Remake" or "Yakuza Extreme Remake".
I was literally debating the exact same thing in my mind whilst driving to work.

Yakuza - REMAKE-

Bam.

Well if Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza 6 really is the last Kiryu game, then it's possible they might change the name.

If Akiyama is the protagonist going forward (which I am all for) then they could the change the name from "Like a Dragon" to "Like a Bum".

Well if Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza 6 really is the last Kiryu game, then it's possible they might change the name.

If Akiyama is the protagonist going forward (which I am all for) then they could the change the name from "Like a Dragon" to "Like a Bum".

They might just go with a younger character that also luckily has a dragon tattoo, so they get to keep the same name. I hope they don't go down that route, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did either.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Listening to the Yakuza 0 soundtrack and I enjoy the disco tributes to Bananarama, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, and, Sabrina.

Its a shame they probably couldn't license the original tracks, but its an interesting solution to the legal issue.

My favourite track from the Yakuza 0 soundtrack is one of Majima's final battle themes "Reign". I constantly listen to that one on a loop. Plus I love how the battle music seamlessly switches from one battle theme to another.
Kiwami is the game I have issues with the soundtrack, just listening to the original Yakuza OST I just prefer how some of the themes sounded back on the PS2 original compared to the remixes (Shimano's boss fight for example).

firelogic

Currently, playing Yakuza 5 and got to Haruka's segment. Saejima's segment could've been less long. It went on for quite some time. The hunting side game is interesting, but could've been more refined.

I agree. His section could have been shorter. As for Haruka, I didn't think I'd enjoy playing as her but it turned out to be one of my favourite things in the game. So many catchy tunes.

bluethree

I've been playing Y5 recently and honestly, I think that section is outright boring even though I like Saejima as a character. Probably my least favorite part of the series aside from the stupid Osaka castle part in 2 (which was at least fun from a gameplay perspective).

Now I'm at Akiyama's part and I can immediately see why people like the character so much (I never played 4).

I'd totally be okay with Akiyama taking over the reigns.

Was anything else removed from 0 US besides the OP?
From what I understand, no. Everything was kept intact besides 2 licensed songs. OP and credits theme I'm guessing. I haven't heard the original song so I can't comment on comparison but the OP and credits song they did use are awesome. I also read an article that said the new songs for the US release were approved by the Japanese team so there's that tidbit, too.

cj_iwakura

From what I understand, no. Everything was kept intact besides 2 licensed songs. OP and credits theme I'm guessing. I haven't heard the original song so I can't comment on comparison but the OP and credits song they did use are awesome. I also read an article that said the new songs for the US release were approved by the Japanese team so there's that tidbit, too.
I read they were done by the Japanese team.

bluethree

The osaka part in 5 is so good, makes me wish they just expanded this and turned it into the full game instead. Would feel a lot more focused.

Ok, Yakuza 6 players (or Puyo Puyo fans), I'm down to the last couple of entries in the completion list and I'm kinda stuck! I've got the following two entries that I can't figure out:

Defeat all 10 opponents in Puyo Puyo - I've beaten 6, but I'm having huge issues with the other 4 as they never appear early on in the game. Is the only way to fight them to beat at least 9 stages in the game before the last few characters start to appear? As at that point the AI difficulty is pretty darn tough for me!

Have a 100 RB Player in Baseball - Don't even know what this one means!

Menitta

Question about Kiwami. I've seen people say it's not a good replacement for Yakuza 1. Can it work as a replacement for 1? A bunch of newcomers aren't gonna go back and play the PS2 version.

Like Yakuza 1 seems super dated. The HD collection fixes a lot of stuff but it doesn't exist in English.

firelogic

Ok, Yakuza 6 players (or Puyo Puyo fans), I'm down to the last couple of entries in the completion list and I'm kinda stuck! I've got the following two entries that I can't figure out:

Defeat all 10 opponents in Puyo Puyo - I've beaten 6, but I'm having huge issues with the other 4 as they never appear early on in the game. Is the only way to fight them to beat at least 9 stages in the game before the last few characters start to appear? As at that point the AI difficulty is pretty darn tough for me!

Yakuza 6 has PuyoPuyo? My god, that's fantastic!

Question about Kiwami. I've seen people say it's not a good replacement for Yakuza 1. Can it work as a replacement for 1? A bunch of newcomers aren't gonna go back and play the PS2 version.

Like Yakuza 1 seems super dated. The HD collection fixes a lot of stuff but it doesn't exist in English.

Not sure where that is coming from. Kiwami is Yakuza 1 but with better graphics, gameplay, controls and more content... For new fans of the series its just better for them to go with Kiwami since its on the PS4 (most people won't want to get a PS2 and track down a copy of the original game). Plus going back to the original would be an enormous step back - you know the mini games and heat moves that seem to be very popular going by the official thread - there are way fewer heat moves in the original game and there are almost no mini games in the original.

Plus people would no doubt have issues with item management in the PS2 version - you can't swap stuff out in phone booths etc. only the hide out so its a complete pain in the ass to manage items.

Oh, and if you fail side missions you screw yourself out of future content. So no doubt that'd annoy some people as well!

One last comment. Load times for random encounters. Unless your playing the game emulated or in the PS3 HD port you'll spend a bunch of time on load screens. I do like the PS3 HD release, it fixes a couple of these points, but the controls and camera and still a bit funky... Kiwami is just a far better choice for the masses at this point.

Yakuza 6 has PuyoPuyo? My god, that's fantastic!

Yeah, its in the same arcade as Virtua Fighter 5. Its a great addition to the game, insanely addictive and very fun even if I can't reach the later stages!

Menitta

Not sure where that is coming from. Kiwami is Yakuza 1 but with better graphics, gameplay, controls and more content... For new fans of the series its just better for them to go with Kiwami since its on the PS4 (most people won't want to get a PS2 and track down a copy of the original game). Plus going back to the original would be an enormous step back - you know the mini games and heat moves that seem to be very popular going by the official thread - there are way fewer heat moves in the original game and there are almost no mini games in the original.

Plus people would no doubt have issues with item management in the PS2 version - you can't swap stuff out in phone booths etc. only the hide out so its a complete pain in the ass to manage items.

Oh, and if you fail side missions you screw yourself out of future content. So no doubt that'd annoy some people as well!

One last comment. Load times for random encounters. Unless your playing the game emulated or in the PS3 HD port you'll spend a bunch of time on load screens. I do like the PS3 HD release, it fixes a couple of these points, but the controls and camera and still a bit funky... Kiwami is just a far better choice for the masses at this point.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Like the only major difference Kiwami does is add an extra bit into the story to accommodate for the Majima Anywhere system.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Like the only major difference Kiwami does is add an extra bit into the story to accommodate for the Majima Anywhere system.

It does have a couple of extra story bits here and there that weren't in the original (bar the new Nishiki cutscenes) that flesh out a couple more characters oh so slightly).

Honestly the only real complaints I have on Kiwami over the original are that:
Majima appears to frequently late in the game. I love him as a character, but he does get a bit annoying toward the end...

... but he's required since your Dragon of Dojima style is useless until late in the game as fighting Majima will power the style up. So he's a necessary evil (side note, once fully levelled up you become an unstoppable badass with that style!)

Oh, and not the originals fault but I'll complain about the lack of arcade games again. Just because I can ;) Also, I think one (or one set) of side missions relating to purchasing street art is missing in Kiwami? Not quite sure why that'd have been taken out, assuming I'm not misremembering things.

Sarek

My copies of Yakuza 3&4 (also noticed that I apparently already had Y4 on PSN) arrived today, and I was really surprised that Kamurocho has basically the exact same map as it did in 0. Makes the game world seem lot more real. Also immediately checked what they had built on the empty lot.

One change I didn't really like was the translation. I don't really get the proper use of all the Japanese suffixes, but felt they fit the game a lot better in 0 than Majima calling Kazuma Kazzy instead of Kazuma-chan. Also am I imagining things or are they using first names and surnames in different order than in 0?

takoyaki

Someone discovered a funny bug in Y6 where Kiryu starts holding Haruto like a sword

a2f0a0d9e2cefce539d34rsk0p.jpg

And of course there's already photoshop tomfoolery going on on twitter
Please leave this bug in the game SEGA, funny memes seem to help sell the games in the West ;)

-source

Lol, that's amazing.

My copies of Yakuza 3&4 (also noticed that I apparently already had Y4 on PSN) arrived today, and I was really surprised that Kamurocho has basically the exact same map as it did in 0. Makes the game world seem lot more real. Also immediately checked what they had built on the empty lot.

One change I didn't really like was the translation. I don't really get the proper use of all the Japanese suffixes, but felt they fit the game a lot better in 0 than Majima calling Kazuma Kazzy instead of Kazuma-chan. Also am I imagining things or are they using first names and surnames in different order than in 0?
Glad to see that you are trying rest of the series after Y0. I hope you like them. I still haven't finished Y0 myself but before that game, Yakuza 4 was my favorite in the series.

And no, you are not imagining it.

Gacha-pin

Wow, you are awesome. I've never played Puyo Puyo before. I didn't know that Puyo Puyo is this hard. I only managed to beat one rival and I already gave up this mini game.

Derailing the topic. I always feel the way Kiryu calls someone's name is inconsistent and sounds a bit weird. Nishiki is supposed to be Kiryu's best friend. But Kiryu always calls Nishiki instead of Akira (Nishiki's first name). Nishiki also calls Kiryu instead of Kazuma though.

But someone like Tanaka Shinji, Shimabukuro Rikiya, Usami Yuta, Kiryu calls them using their first name.

Sad I couldn't take a pic of all my yakuza 0 copies before I sent them to friends as gifts. I managed getting a pic with 5 copies when 1 had already been sent. will post in a bit. In the end Im keeping 1 EU and 1 USA for myself. Both sealed since I reviewedi t anyway.

Ladekabel

Started with Yakuza 3 today. Spent an hour or so watching cutscenes and a summary of Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. Had the two tutorials, a random encounter and the boss fight against Majima.

Loving it! Wish I started sooner.

Tizoc

Someone ought to make a thread about the pros of the yakuza series' hubworld, esp. Now that there gaffers who are suffering from open world design fatigue

bluethree

Yakuza's cities are so well designed because they're small but dense and packed with interesting content. Total opposite of boring empty open worlds.

I do wish they could be a little bigger sometimes - or at least focused on only one location (instead of Kamurocho + somewhere else for every game), but the settings are still great despite that.

I wish Okinawa in particular was bigger.

Yakuza's cities are so well designed because they're small but dense and packed with interesting content. Total opposite of boring empty open worlds.

I do wish they could be a little bigger sometimes - or at least focused on only one location (instead of Kamurocho + somewhere else for every game), but the settings are still great despite that.

Agreed. I'm bored of these huge open worlds that have almost nothing in them and require you to travel miles to basically perform fetch quests and perform repetitive side missions (Far Cry 4 suffered from this after playing it for several hours, the back few hours were basically the same as the first few). While Yakuza has one awesome city (Kamuracho) that is filled to the brim with so many things to do, I can spend 100's of hours in the city between the various entries in the series and not get remotely bored.

But yeah, I do wish the other cities have more to do with them - you mention Okinawa, and I'd raise Hiroshima as well. A beautiful area that unfortunately does not have as much to do in it as compared to most other cities in the series (though to be fair on it, the side stories and mini games are great once you unlock them!).

IrishNinja

agreed with all of this right here - i really dug RDR but mostly never care for open world games, while kamurocho is easily one of my favorite gaming landscapes

Gacha-pin

I love huge open world games too. I enjoy RGG much as it is. But I'd like to try a RGG in a big map/world if I can see the same level of craftsmanship as Rockstar does to their games.

I would really appreciate if they expand Kamurocho a bit more in the next game, especially the south-side to Shinjuku Station and Shinjuku Gyoen Park. It would be great to see Tenkaichi gate from the other side of Showa dori street. Or I think Persona 5's map structure suits RGG more than having multiple cities in a game.

As for the map design, I like Kenzan's map design best in the series. City maps surrounded by country side roads is great. I know this doesn't work on Kamurocho though.

Fairly minor, but I feel like the OP for this thread should be updated to show that more of the games have been localized and have release dates.

bluethree

The funny thing is that after 2 I slept on the series for years because Osaka seemed too small and the reuse of Kamurocho annoyed me. I only really picked up 3 because I wanted to play a game in Japanese (I live in Japan) before Persona's release for practice. Ended up loving it a lot more than expected and I picked up 5 and Kenzan (going through the former now).

I still don't like the reuse that much but it's something I can look past now. The games are just too much fun otherwise.

I actually have a question for the people here who have finished RGG/Yakuza 6.

How is the music in the game, compared to the previous entries?

Ladekabel

Oh man, the karaoke minigame is terrible.

How much would I miss if I would skip the sidequests in Yakuza 3? Sort of enjoy them but I'm at my "Now I just want to end the story"-mode. On the other hand I don't want to miss stuff like the movie quest because I enjoyed it.

WolfTime

Banned
I love the Yakuza series, but is anyone else getting kind of bored Kazuma Kiryu, i kind of hope they wrap his story up soon and start fresh with a new protagonist

xezuru

I love the Yakuza series, but is anyone else getting kind of bored Kazuma Kiryu, i kind of hope they wrap his story up soon and start fresh with a new protagonist

How dare you, but really the only reason I have even milliliters of that feeling within me is because post Y2 story have been heavily less Kiryu character based and really upped the Japanese Romanticized Action Drama instead. Like the one complaint I have with 0's story is I wish Kiryu was a little more a piece of shit/grunt who had to do really shitty grunt jobs before the main events transpire so you could actually see him transform

Top Bottom