• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Yasumi Matsuno is no longer working on FFXII"

FFVII was a great game but not the best FF game in history.
that goes to FFVI on SNES.

Kitase work on FFVII was awsome.

FFXII will be a great game, Square-enix wont change nothing on the game, the game they showed yesterday is the game we will see in stores.
matsuno might have left but that dont mean shit as the game will still be the same as it was yesterday at the square enix party and the impressions that i have read of the Game at square enix party makes me want to get a hold of this game now!

FFXII is my most wanted game at the moment.

AniHawk

Red Scarlet said:
Vagrant Story was one of the worst games I played last generation. It just did not click with me at all whatsoever... gotpast the golem boss and decided that the game just was not fun

Wow, you just described my experience exactly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm curious if pushing the release date back to March has something to do with Nintendo releasing Zelda: TP in the Fall. I mean, does the Japanese audience even give a damn about Zelda anymore?

Bebpo

Banned
Oblivion said:
I'm curious if pushing the release date back to March has something to do with Nintendo releasing Zelda: TP in the Fall. I mean, does the Japanese audience even give a damn about Zelda anymore?

Nope. FF would lose more sales from Kingdom Hearts 2 than from Zelda.

SpokkX

:lol this sucks. FF is surely dead now.. FFX was awful..

Matsuno was the last real talent at SE (if he actually left)

Vagrant story = best rpg last gen.. though most people didn´t get it.. too advanced fighting/weapons system..

of course.. the game COULD be good since Matsuno have probably done a lot of the systems for FF12

Pimpwerx

FF7 was the rpg I dumped the most time into, and one I truly loved.

Vagrant Story is my favorite rpg ever.

I could give a shit who directs the next game. Just no more girly Tidus wannabes. And give me a sequel to VS for good measure. PEACE.

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
What FF games have Kawazu done before? (directed)
He's never directed a FF game. But he's been involved with...

Final Fantasy II (NES)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (GC)
Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls (GBA)

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (DS)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles II (REV)

SolidSnakex said:
Kitase has co directed FF6 and Chrono Trigger and directed FF7, FF8 and FF10. Kawazu has directed the Saga series, including Unlimited Saga and Racing Lagoon. Kitase's track record is extremely good despite how some people try to bash him.
Cute listing Kitase's best and Kawazu's worst. ;)

Here's a better list of past credits...

Yoshinori Kitase
Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden (GB) Scenario
Final Fantasy V (SFC) Filed Plan
Final Fantasy VI (SFC) Co-Director
Chrono Trigger (SFC) Co-Director
Final Fantasy VII (PS) Director
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (PS) FFVII Staff
Final Fantasy VIII (PS) Director
Final Fantasy X (PS2) Producer
Kingdom Hearts (PS2) Producer
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) Producer

Akitoshi Kawazu
Makai Toushi SaGa (GB) Director/Scenario/Battle Data
Final Fantasy II (FC) Game Design
SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu (GB) Director/Scenario/Battle Data
Romancing SaGa (SFC) Director/Scenario/Game Design
Final Fantasy V (SFC) Special Thanks
Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) Director/Scenario/Game Design
Romancing SaGa 3 (SFC) Director/Game Design
SaGa Frontier (PS) Producer/Director
SaGa Frontier 2 (PS) Producer
Legend of Mana (PS) Producer
The Bouncer (PS2) Dramatisation
Romancing SaGa (WSC) Producer/Director
Makai Toushi SaGa (WSC) Producer/Director
Unlimited SaGa (PS2) Producer/Director
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (GC) Producer
Final Fantasy I+II Advance (GBA) Producer
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2) Producer

...plenty of good stuff on both sides imo, though it seems Kawazu's at his best the more hands on he is, while Kitase's best tends to be collaborative.

Bebpo said:
Nope. FF would lose more sales from Kingdom Hearts 2 than from Zelda.
Not really, both Zelda and KH average about 800-900k on consoles and 200-300k on handhelds. They're practically even really.

Yusaku

Obviously it was to make sure he had time to make Vagrant Story 2 on the PS3, right? Right?

:(

EDIT: Also, Siggraph stuff is planned months and months in advance. It doesn't prove that this isn't true.

He's never directed a FF game. But he's been involved with...

You forgot the original FF. The design team consisted of Sakaguchi, Kawazu, Hiromichi Tanaka and Koichi Ishii.

I chose what they've directed.

For the record, Kawazu had very little involvement with Racing Lagoon, which was directed by Hitoshi Sasaki.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I chose what they've directed. Its just that Kitase is vastly superior compared to Kawazu.
On their own? I'd say SaGa 1-2 & Romancing SaGa 1-3 blow away FF7-8. Easy.

jarrod

Banned
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
You forgot the original FF. The design team consisted of Sakaguchi, Kawazu, Hiromichi Tanaka and Koichi Ishii.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. :/

care to fill in any other holes in my list? :)

Shouta

Matsuno no longer on FFXII, not surprising to me. I'd be inclined to agree that he got in over his head as a possible reason for his depature before the game was finished. I really can't think of another reason that'd he leave unless some brass were really pulling for massive changes in the game.

jarrpd said:
On their own? I'd say SaGa 1-2 & Romancing SaGa 1-3 blow away FF7-8. Easy.

SaGa 1-2 are pretty damn polished overall (albeit old now) but Romancing SaGa 1-3 are messes overall as I pointed out in a previous thread. There's no way that any of those 5 games are better than FF7 or FF8. I barely liked FF7 and I hated FF8 but it doesn't change that they're much better from a design and a playability standpoint. So I'd definitely take Kitase over Kawazu any day of the week.

Diablos

Eh this isn't too good.
Hopefully his work on the game will remain intact.

But what surprises me is everyone's reaction to this - the whole "Square is dead wahhh" thing. Perhaps. But why are you so shocked now? The time it has taken between FFX and FFXII should have given it away. FFX was the last single-player, full length FF. Don't say FFX-2 because everyone (even Square) knows it is a spin off.

Square's best days, IMO, started with FF6j and Chrono Trigger for the SNES, and ended with FF9 and Chrono Cross for the PSX. Just about every single thing they did in that time period, even games that weren't FF, was fantastic. I don't think Square will ever top that.

I just get the impression that FFXII is a rushed game only delayed due to politics and bickering within the company.

I guess the developers in that secret Chrono Cross ending were lying. "See you on the PS2," they said. :( I didn't see Chrono on PS2.

Ark-AMN

Banned
My problem with Vagrant Story was that it had way too much micromanagement, and that it forced you to go to the options screen so much which was especially bad because of the horrendous loading times.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
The suggestions Kawazu should take over are retarded. All of the games he has been involved with recently are trash. That man has a black thumb.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jarrod said:
Not really, both Zelda and KH average about 800-900k on consoles and 200-300k on handhelds. They're practically even really.

Whoa, really? I thought KH2 would have also crushed Zelda without a thought. I wonder if the Japanese were turned off to WW's graphic style as well?

Zilch

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Or maybe, just maybe, the design is locked down, now, and Matsuno would like to move on to another project, hm?

Heh, it's surprising that this hasn't been brought up yet as a possibility. That could be the case, but it seems like the wording that has been used by the various sources points towards him being replaced/removed from the project.

Bebpo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Or maybe, just maybe, the design is locked down, now, and Matsuno would like to move on to another project, hm?

It would still be wierd though. Film directors don't just oversee the rough cut and quit their job while someone else fine tunes their film. You'd think he'd want to be overlooking the final touches on the game and making sure everything was up to par.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
It would still be wierd though. Film directors don't just oversee the rough cut and quit their job while someone else fine tunes their film. You'd think he'd want to be overlooking the final touches on the game and making sure everything was up to par.

It's totally plausible but highly improbable which is why I disagree with Drinky.

Simo

Bebpo said:

Well traditionally directors on titles like this are only actively present or involved during the first 3/4ths of development or so. After that the director usually moves onto another project if he/she chooses while their last project goes through final testing and tuning. Tetsuya Nomura has been roughly doing the same thing with KH2 and Advent Children. Considering FFXII has been out of the spotlight for nearly 12 months or so it's probably safe to assume that during that time the game has been under heavy internal testing and fine tuning of the game engine which is something that Matsuno doesn't need to be present for. Even if he is needed, it's not like he's in a different country or city.

Also the information about "team members leaving" and whatnot seems blown out of proportion since reports only point to at least 1 person leaving the team in the last 12 months. Regarding Siggraph, Matsuno won't be present but Eiji Fujii will be:
http://www.alias.com/eng/about/events/siggraph/presentation_schedule.shtml

duckroll

Matsuno is no longer working on FFXII nor has he been working on it at any point in 2005. Various sources, some reliable, some questionable have all stated that fact. And anyone who thinks that Nomura is no longer involved with Advent Children and KH2 is fucking crazy or talking out of their ass. Nomura goes to work at Square Enix every single day and continues to be highly involved with both projects and posts updates on the Shinra blog of the FFVIIAC site every month. Matsuno just hasn't been working....... for whatever reasons.

This is NOT a case of Matsuno simply "moving on to another project", but a case of "something fucked up massively and Matsuno is no longer working at all". :(

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
This is NOT a case of Matsuno simply "moving on to another project", but a case of "something fucked up massively and Matsuno is no longer breathing at all". :(

fixed.

duckroll said:
Matsuno is no longer working on FFXII nor has he been working on it at any point in 2005. Various sources, some reliable, some questionable have all stated that fact. And anyone who thinks that Nomura is no longer involved with Advent Children and KH2 is fucking crazy or talking out of their ass. Nomura goes to work at Square Enix every single day and continues to be highly involved with both projects and posts updates on the Shinra blog of the FFVIIAC site every month. Matsuno just hasn't been working....... for whatever reasons.

This is NOT a case of Matsuno simply "moving on to another project", but a case of "something fucked up massively and Matsuno is no longer working at all". :(

That sucks! But the good thing is that they haven't changed the battle system. I hope the new guy in charge is basically finishing Matsuno's work and not making any batshit changes, and from the new media I have seen, this seems to be the case :D

ziran

duckroll said:
now this very sad :(

matsuno is a very talented games creator, and to have him not working is a real shame.

i want brilliant games as much as anybody, but forget how hard the industry must be on developers' lives.

Soul4ger

Drinky Crow said:

This was exactly what I thought, too. Why would he still be making so many appearances if he was hostilely thrown from the project, or quit in outrage at staff leaving. And if your hypothesis is the case, I'm excited to know what he's working on now. :)

Soul4ger said:
Why would he still be making so many appearances if he was hostilely thrown from the project, or quit in outrage at staff leaving. And if your hypothesis is the case, I'm excited to know what he's working on now. :)

Um, Matsuno hasn't done a public appearance or interview since E3 2004. Sir.

Drinky Crow said:
The best thing about Matsuno is his flaming disregard for Nintendo and their "accessibility" design policy.

I heard that Vagrant Story sold better in Europe because more students could manage the multivariable calculus required to fully enjoy Matsuno's games.

duckroll said:

Like his health?

http://www.ff12.com/topics/staff.html
http://new.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=57557

Okay let's clarify everything now that the official word is out.

1) Matsuno was very, very sick and hasn't been able to work on FFXII. He is very sorry but he's better now and everything will be done by 3/16.

2) FFXII is still 100% Matsuno, he is credited with the original plan, the scenario and is the supervisor on the project.

3) Itoh and Minagawa have been bumped to director positions to keep the team together in his absense and he's 100% supportive of that.

4) Kawazu is simply taking over Sakaguchi's previous position on the FF games because he's the most senior staff at Square Enix working with the Square side at this moment. This doesn't mean the game is moving or has moved to any new direction, simply that Sakaguchi left and he's taking up the executive producer spot.

THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS, SO CALM DOWN!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142459

Square Enix confirms director Matsuno off FFXII
Official release states illness as the reason.
by James Mielke, 08/01/2005

As we reported over the weekend, Final Fantasy XII's former director Yasumi Matsuno (director of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Vagrant Story) was removed, either voluntarily or otherwise, from the Final Fantasy XII project. Now Square-Enix has gone on record, via their website for Final Fantasy XII and said it themselves. The rough translation goes something like this: "FFXII producer, Yasumi Matsuno is recovering from sickness, and is currently involved with the project as a consultant. The project will continue with the rest of the team members and the leaders of each section. We are confident that FFXII will be able to provide fans with the game in great scale and spectacle on March 16, 2006. Please look forward to it." The web page even provides an official comment from Matsuno himself, stating: "To fans of FFXII, I am very sorry that the development took for a long time."

Akitoshi Kawazu (Unlimited Saga, Saga Frontier 1 & 2, The Bouncer) was named as Executive producer on the project, while Matsuno will stay on as scenario writer and consultant. Despite the changes we don't expect the final game to alter much, as FFXII has reportedly been near-complete for quite some time. Check out our hands-on impressions of the game here.

Would be nice to see a post-mortem on FFXII from Matsuno, which then could be turned into an edgy film about the video game industry and going insane.

JackFrost2012 said:
Um, Matsuno hasn't done a public appearance or interview since E3 2004. Sir.

You wrote an article in OPM a few months ago about how the merger was quite bad for Square. Did you know anything about Matsuno back then and did that play into your article?

terrene

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I heard that Vagrant Story sold better in Europe because more students could manage the multivariable calculus required to fully enjoy Matsuno's games.
I heard "Paper Mario" sold better at the zoo, where feral baboons mastered the art of hitting the giant "A" buttong RIGHT WHEN Mario buttstomps to do a whopping 6 HP of damage. They were going to have higher numbers, but the baboons couldn't count to ten.

sonycowboy said:
You wrote an article in OPM a few months ago about how the merger was quite bad for Square. Did you know anything about Matsuno back then and did that play into your article?

There've been rumors going around for months. I didn't know the Real Story, but it was obvious something was up. Don't forget Square's total media blackout.

ronito

250px-Kirk_scream.jpg

KAWAZU!!!!!

Top Bottom