• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P: Final Fantasy 16 will flex the PlayStation 5's power, No Loading Screens

There are 5-6 kingdoms in the game, I think

Would be weird going from one kingdom to the next by cave or something. Wouldnt really give that sense of scale.

In GOW you go to each real by byfrost. Maybe they will do something similar here by airship?

I'm curious to see what they do with it
Just like what they did when they (square Soft) was making great FF games.

Even FFXII achieved a sense of scale/ a living breathing world.

Not that sterile depictions on FF13-15.

Musilla

ezgif-4-4216604a3b.gif

ezgif-4-5fcc9c90c5.gif

The game will be divided in large chunks of land, so it'll be interesting to see how they will pull off the "no loading" thing

It wont be seamless
The loadings will be done during the gameplay. You won't even know there are loadings. This has being done in a few others PS5 games already in some capacity: Ratchet, Returnal and Demon's souls.

Hugare

The loadings will be done during the gameplay. You won't even know there are loadings. This has being done in a few others PS5 games already in some capacity: Ratchet, Returnal and Demon's souls.
Just like what they did when they (square Soft) was making great FF games.

Even FFXII achieved a sense of scale/ a living breathing world.

Not that sterile depictions on FF13-15.

You guys arent understanding what I'm trying to say (FF XII had loading times between each area, btw)

How are they gonna design this thing?

We will have an instant transition to an airship like in R&C Rift Apart? 'Cause each kingdom is probably far from one another.

They cant just make caves, mountains and etc. that you'll have to traverse because the sense of scale would be diminished.

2 kingdoms separated by a cave? A mountain? A waterfall? To make it justice with no loadings, only by making it open world or teletransportation (God of War bifrost, Demons Souls archstones and etc,)

Last edited:
You guys arent understanding what I'm trying to say (FF XII had loading times between each area, btw)
I understand. The thing I am trying to communicate is (as you are asking below) the design if these "transitions".
How are they gonna design this thing?

We will have an instant transition to an airship like in R&C Rift Apart? 'Cause each kingdom is probably far from one another.
I dont know if the engine they are using would be able to do a "traditional" airship travel around the world

But at instant transition a "real time cutscene" is an acceptable way of doing it.

They cant just make caves, mountains and etc. that you'll have to traverse because the sense scale would be diminished.
Not necessarily, if they are well designed.
2 kingdoms separated by a cave? A mountain? A waterfall? To make justice to it with no loadings, only by making it open world or teletransportation (God of War bifrost)
I dont think this game is an "open world".

The point is: no fade to blacks or a splash screens

Those thigs kill the immersion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
June 22nd, they said playable start to finish, a year before release.

Nov 4th, they said game is 95% complete, 7 months before release.

So I think reasonable to expect improvements on the technical side up until release and a very polished game.

Playable from start to finish doesn't mean the game is anywhere near gold.

The upcoming Dragon Age Dread Wolf is also playable from start to finish, for reference.

CG cutscenes are over with. They break immersion
No they’re not lol. FFVII Remake had them. Rebirth will have them. Crisis Core Reunion had new CG summons. Call of Duty games still have CG cutscenes (the one released a month or two ago has 20+ mins’ worth). The new Gungrave game had some. One Piece Odyssey has them and it’s coming out next month. Diablo IV and all Blizzard games will have them. I could go on with upcoming games, and games released in the last few years if you’d like?

The “breaks immersion” is an opinion that I don’t agree with AT ALL.

Lastly, it’s confirmed that Square Enix’s internal CGI studio (or, as an interview put it, the “Kingsglaive team”) is involved with this game, and an interview did state that they’re working on the character models back in June, but until I see proof, I’m just going to think they’re involved with the background parts of pre-rendered scenes, which would be a mistake IMO. The game is not that pretty.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
No they’re not lol. FFVII Remake had them. Rebirth will have them. Crisis Core Reunion had new CG summons. Call of Duty games still have CG cutscenes (the one released a month or two ago has 20+ mins’ worth). The new Gungrave game had some. One Piece Odyssey has them and it’s coming out next month. Diablo IV and all Blizzard games will have them. I could go on with upcoming games, and games released in the last few years if you’d like?

The “breaks immersion” is an opinion that I don’t agree with AT ALL.

Lastly, it’s confirmed that Square Enix’s internal CGI studio (or, as an interview put it, the “Kingsglaive team”) is involved with this game, and an interview did state that they’re working on the character models back in June, but until I see proof, I’m just going to think they’re involved with the background parts of pre-rendered scenes, which would be a mistake IMO. The game is not that pretty.
You’ve been on this for a while, if you really think Yoshidas team is going to release a mainline Final Fantasy game with no CG when they have an amazing CG trailer for every single expansion they do for FFXIV then you’re just not paying attention.

You’re absolutely right the game is not that pretty. It’s beautiful.

Last edited:
No they don’t. Just the ones that depict the character you’re currently using now wearing different armor and holding different weapons
People like you will claim that things like pop-in, clipping, poor textures, flat lighting, poor animations, etc. don’t break immersion, but apparently cutscenes that are like a brief glimpse of the game with an unlimited budget, do. I mean, different strokes for different folks. But for me, CG cutscenes are the best way to immerse me into a game’s world/characters/etc.
Come on. FFXV had some splendid CG cutscenes, including its finale.
And it would’ve had more if the game wasn’t being rewritten over and over again + if it didn’t have Kingsglaive. Even after Nomura was removed, trailers showed CG cutscenes of Altissia, along with Cor and the bros talking near the Regalia in Duscae, indicating removal due to story changes.

I’m expecting nothing more than an opening and maybe an ending for XVI simply because it’s the MMO team + the director of The Last Remnant. BD1 will continue sprinkling them throughout their games.

vpance

FFXV, FFVIIR, Resi 2, Resi 3, Resi 8, Tales of Arise, Bloodborne all look fantastic from last gen to name a few.

Thought about those. Good examples, but short of being exceptional IMO. Never mind that some had glaring technical issues. FFVIIR looked nice in many ways but it was still very old school with the linear cramped levels, and who could forget the inconsistent texture work and modeling.

FFXVI if it doesn't disappoint should be considered a notable achievement especially since it's on their own engine.

Last edited:
For everyone’s info, here’s the blurb from the Famitsu interview:

――多くのシーンをリアルタイムレンダリングで表現するというのは、開発者としてのこだわりで決定されたのですか?

吉田こだわりというよりも、制作手法からそうなった、というのが大きいです。ただし、プリレンダリングでのクリエイティブを得意とするチームとも協力していて、映画『KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV』を作った野末(野末武志氏)のチームにもガッツリと参加してもらっていて、演出やコンテ、いくつかのパートの監督をいっしょにやってもらっています。モデリングチームにもCGのキャラクタービジュアルをブラッシュアップする際に細かく調整をお願いするなど、手を組んで開発を進めており、細部までこだわって作っています。

――リアルタイムレンダリングにすることの利点は何なのでしょうか?

吉田ある程度調整が効きやすいところです。開発が進むと、がんばって作ったシーンでも、プレイの上で泣く泣くカットせざるを得ないことがあります。たとえばプリレンダリングの映像の場合、修正の際に再レンダリングをするだけで莫大な時間がかかります。もちろん、だからカットしていい、というわけではありませんが、そういった製作上の工程からもプリレンダリングの割合はかなり少なくなりました。

Using DeepL this is what it translates to:

--Did you decide to use real-time rendering for a large number of scenes because of your commitment as a developer?

Yoshida: It was more of a production method than a commitment. However, we also collaborated with a team that specializes in pre-rendering creativity, and the team of Takeshi Nosue, who created the movie "KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV," was also involved in the project, directing, storyboarding, and directing some parts. The modeling team is also involved in the production of CG characters. The modeling team also worked hand-in-hand with us in the development of the game, including making detailed adjustments when brushing up the CG character visuals, and we paid close attention to every detail.

--What are the advantages of real-time rendering?

YoshidaThat it is easier to make adjustments to a certain extent. As development progresses, there are times when we have to cut scenes that we have worked hard on. For example, in the case of pre-rendered footage, it takes an enormous amount of time just to re-render the footage when making corrections. Of course, this does not mean that we should cut scenes, but the ratio of pre-rendering has been reduced considerably due to the production process.

Same interview also states that the Dominance trailer was “95% real-time,” with some of the scenes having background pre-rendered elements. IMO it’s very obvious that the scenes in question are Titan vs. Shiva and Odin Vs. Bahamut.

Obviously I can’t be sure about what I’m reading since this is a DeepL translation, but the fact that it mentions “CG characters” twice makes it seem like the game will have at least one proper CG cutscene, though I’m hoping for 6 or 7 of them.

Last edited:

Topfuel

just give us the promised high fantasy dark mature story, good graphics, functioning dog sidekick and Dragon`s Dogma style battle system with weight-y enemy damage. :)

Last edited:
You’ve been on this for a while, if you really think Yoshidas team is going to release a mainline Final Fantasy game with no CG when they have an amazing CG trailer for every single expansion they do for FFXIV then you’re just not paying attention.

You’re absolutely right the game is not that pretty. It’s beautiful.
It’s a combination of:

1. Me being obsessed with CG cutscenes
2. Being antsy because it’s the MMO team + Last Remnant director
3. No marketing footage thus far including any hint of CG cutscenes

Though the Famitsu interview I just quote made it seem like they’re still being worked on, so I guess that makes sense.

And lastly, I know that each expansion comes with a CG opening, but that’s one of the reasons why I’m antsy. I don’t want just an opening, or just an opening and ending. I want some in the middle of the game!

Boss Man

Cautiously optimistic about this one. What I truly want is an open world with flyable airships, but I think Yoshi-P will deliver a fun story driven game.

FF9 was the last good single player FF game in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

If it wasn't for FFXIV online and FF7 remake, I would have even had less excitement for Final Fantasy. FF15 almost killed the franchise for me. Now finally, 16 looks to bring back the franchise to all its former glory. I am very excited for this and Diablo. It really looks like they pulled out all the stops, hopefully that translates into incredible sales.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The title is misleading. They said there was no loading screen in the referenced trailer, not that there would be no loading screens at all.
Indeed. Only games I've seen that don't have a loading screen is like Metroid Prime series but that's because of a clever trick they used where doors took a while to open because the room you were entering was still loading or you took an elevator into a new zone.

Got to love how some people take things out of context for what seems to mostly be a cinematic part of the game in real time.

I am seeing a lot of focus on mah graphics mah PS5 from Yoshi P though. I hope the game is just as good. Witcher 3/Horizon/BotW/Elden Ring good would be my preference if the world map shown above is to be believed.

But previously Yoshi stated that they avoided that single Open World design that the other games have and that it is "area-based" and essentially separated into larger zones so I imagine there will be some form of load times present in the game.

In my experience Xenoblade X probably has the best example of full seamless Open World because it loads the whole map making it seamless with the exception of 2 places.

Kumomeme

visual level is not the only way to show the hardware capabilities.

since the game is developed solely with PS5 in mind, the game would not get held back by PS4's Jaguar CPU. so we might be able to see higher number of enemy perscreen on realtime. there is war scene in trailer but that part is prerendered. so there might be other scene that could showcase this.

in interview Yoshi-P mention about seamless eikon fight transition thanks to the fast SSD. theoretically the SSD also would allow easier flying mount implementation. im gonna hold my breath but im not suprise if flying mount like black chocobo or airship is in the game. FFXIV already has this though.

it is also interesting to see how Soken gonna utilize the audio engine. will be first final fantasy game with 3D audio.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

eyeroll-43.gif

Who the fuck cares!!!!! It look gorgeous regardless if it’s high tech or not.

Graphic whoring is really becoming obnoxious around here.
Clearly, Yoshi-P cares directly or indirectly, as he's pitching how FF16 is a technically advanced game.

The game looks good. Gorgeous is not a word I would personally use. I don't look at it and think that there's anything particularly eye-catching.

Doesn't need to be, of course. But we're allowed to have that discussion. Graphics is one of the last things you can attempt to have an objective conversation about.

Go_Ly_Dow

Thought about those. Good examples, but short of being exceptional IMO. Never mind that some had glaring technical issues. FFVIIR looked nice in many ways but it was still very old school with the linear cramped levels, and who could forget the inconsistent texture work and modeling.

FFXVI if it doesn't disappoint should be considered a notable achievement especially since it's on their own engine.
Square being very quiet about what engine's they're using for the FF games. XVI they've just given cryptic nods to using some pre-existing internal tech that's loosely based on the newer FFXIV engine. FFVII Rebirth they haven't confirmed if it's UE4 or UE5 and my guess is they're trying to work out if it's possible to transition to UE5 whilst maintaining the Winter 2023/Spring 2024 release target. KH4 and DQXII though will launch as UE5 games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The game will be a looker. No doubt about that.

The real question is if this game can top the God-like game that is FFXV? I'm confident considering every FF game has been better than the game that came before it, but FFXV was so good I'm struggling to comprehend how they can top it?

Dundar

The real question is if this game can top the God-like game that is FFXV? I'm confident considering every FF game has been better than the game that came before it, but FFXV was so good I'm struggling to comprehend how they can top it?

We truly live in bizzarro land.

EDMIX

Shame we couldn't get a proper FFXV PS5 remaster. That game was downgraded somewhat savagely for the PS4 console.

I don't know if I see enough evidence for all that now, the game was initially suppose to be a PS3 game, now magically it should have been on PS5? Whats next? When the remaster it on PS5, you going to tell us in 2026 that "we need a proper PS6 remaster, that game was downgraded somewhat savagely for the PS5" lol

I think FFXV is as great as it could look like at the time of its release. I didn't see anything prior to suggest it was going to look better or something as it was suppose to be on PS3 in the first place.

I also believe knowing Square we will 100% get a remaster of that game lol The Royal FINAL CUT lol So thats more of a soon then no. I think it will look great remastered on PS5, but I wouldn't hold out thinking it will be some huge game changer, I just don't buy that it was suppose to look like something else as it was already moving from 1 system to another. It will be minimal and the biggest changes will be like no loading, 3D audio, 8K (if PS5 Pro is out or something)

but back to FFXVI, I don't see no loading as a huge flex, I see it as the soon to be standard with lots of PS5 titles, hype sure, but not really shocking. It would be more weird if they said it did have loading or something lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom