• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your best pre-2000 TV shows

Select any number

• Batman: The Animated Series

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Cowboy Bebop

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Dragon Ball Z

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Family Guy

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Fawlty Towers

• Frasier

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Friends

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • Freaks and Geeks

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Futurama

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Married With Children

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Oz

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Seinfeld

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • Simpsons

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • South Park

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Stargate SG-1

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • That '70s Show

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

• The Sopranos

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • The Twilight Zone

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • The X-Files

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Twin Peaks

Votes: 19 19.2%

• Total voters
Any show that aired its first episode before 2000 is fair game. Unfortunately it seems that I can’t add more shows after the poll has been created.

For me the top honors go to Oz. But I'm also a fan of Family Guy and Seinfeld and the John Cleese stuff. Uhh, I should probably get around to finally watching Sopranos at some point too...

Will do threads for 2000s and 2010s too if there is interest.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

giphy.gif

Last edited:
How am I supposed to even begin comparing something like Seinfeld and Twin Peaks?

Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever.

Twin Peaks is the greatest drama ever (True Detective season 1 comes damn close though).

I voted Seinfeld since I've been watching it regularly for like 30 years but I don't think I'm comfortable comparing it to Twin Peaks.

edit: to be fair I recently started Star Trek TNG. Not really far enough in the show to form an opinion yet.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Many great shows listed, but the Sopranos were the best show for me personally having seen the series over fifteen times. So glad I never watched The Many Saints of Newark first, otherwise I'd have never had given the series a go!

the sopranos smile GIF

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I never write about 90's shows but a few that I'd like to mention: Xena, Hercules, What A Cartoon show (only half of the 48 shorts were great (especially Pat Ventura's contributions)) and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

RAÏSanÏa

Xena would be high up, that was planned event.
Forever Knight
Battlestar Galactica the original. Still love that narration intro with the doodle a doo da doooo 🎶

lots of other nostalgia had to be there stuff, if not exactly timeless masterpieces.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The fact that DBZ only has 4 votes has me heated. I literally spent entire years of my life getting off the bus, sat my ass down on my grandma's couch with a microwave pizza, and then watched Goku and friends beat that ass every single day.

"FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON.......BALL..........ZZZeeeeeeeeeeee"

I can literally hear that narrator voice in my head right now.

nostalgia-nostalgic.gif

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Outer Limits
Unsolved Mysteries
Eek The Cat
I Love Lucy
Batman The Animated Series
The Wonder Years
Married With Children

Last edited:

TheMan

The caveat is that some of these shows started out great in the 90s and then faded to being super shitty, like the simpsons

My reaction lol also no love for Andromeda
Edit: just realized it aired October 2000 nm lol
That show actually made it 5 seasons? I think I watched the very uneven first season, was totally into the season finale and really looking forward to more, then the s2 premiere was so bad I bailed like halfway through to never return. And especially in those days I never bailed on shows. Especially anything sci-fi. Watch till it's canceled dammit.

Anyway, I loved the premise. Maybe I'll go back and give it a full watch. Maybe see if that S1 to S2 drop was as severe and horrifying as I remember. State of sci-fi TV is pretty dire right now.

teezzy

Banned
How am I supposed to even begin comparing something like Seinfeld and Twin Peaks?

Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever.

Twin Peaks is the greatest drama ever (True Detective season 1 comes damn close though).

I voted Seinfeld since I've been watching it regularly for like 30 years but I don't think I'm comfortable comparing it to Twin Peaks.

edit: to be fair I recently started Star Trek TNG. Not really far enough in the show to form an opinion yet.

You vote for Buffy instead 😊

intbal

Miami Vice
News Radio
Night Court
The Dukes of Hazzard
Air Wolf
Knight Rider
The A-Team

Last edited:

squallheart

That show actually made it 5 seasons? I think I watched the very uneven first season, was totally into the season finale and really looking forward to more, then the s2 premiere was so bad I bailed like halfway through to never return. And especially in those days I never bailed on shows. Especially anything sci-fi. Watch till it's canceled dammit.

Anyway, I loved the premise. Maybe I'll go back and give it a full watch. Maybe see if that S1 to S2 drop was as severe and horrifying as I remember. State of sci-fi TV is pretty dire right now.
Yeah i found it quite enjoyable. To me the final season is what caught me off guard. It was my least favorite.

Top Bottom