• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your unpopular game opinions of 2022 so far?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I will state a few of mine:

1. I think Elden Ring sucks ass! Games similar like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne suck ass as well. My buddy got Elden Ring and I played a bit of his. My god it's just nothing fun about the game IMO. SLow clunky combat combined with tons of frustration equals a just game I can't figure why people like it. The whole "get good" slogan I say "Get fucked!" A real head scratcher on the praise of these games. I was given Dark Souls 3 and bloodbourne free on ps+ and every time I try to play them it's just a yawn fest. My very unpopular opinion but it is mine.

2. I don't care about Backward compability! I played the games I wanted to play back then so don't understand the hype unless you are younger and didn't get to play older games. People pay extra money for PS now for example to play older games.

3. Xbox has a bad first part lineup: I'm not fanboy so lets nip that accusation in the butt. I loved my 360 much more than my ps3 back in the days. Hell I go back to being one of the first xbox live members back on the OG Xbox. With that said, their first party games are weak sauce as of late. Gears of War glory days have been long gone since Gears 3, Halo has just been ok without Bungie, outside of the Forza Motorsport and Horizon series I can't think of anything I care to play on the Xbox Brand. That could change in the coming year but outside of game pass I see no reason to buy an Xbox right now. Most 3rd party games also run better on the PS5 despite the xbox being more powerful. Just don't get microsoft lately.

4. The dual sense controller was over hyped: Loved it when I played Astro's PLayroom and thought it had real potential. Since launch very few games take advantage of any of the features on the controller. Infact at times the adaptive triggers can be a hindrance.

5. Horizon forbidden west is boring

Last edited:

Woggleman

1. HFW so far is GOTY and any challenger will need to really come correct.

2.Elden Ring is good but it is pretty much open world Dark Souls and not the revolution people think it is.

3.Sony is making a big mistake by trying to copy Gamepass instead of focusing on their first party games.

4.The GTA V update is actually worth it since I am enjoying the game more than I did in 2014.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
This thread surely will give neogaf a dislike button.

Season 4 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

Last edited:
A year in and I’m a bit disappointed in the Series X.

Didn’t enjoy my time with Elden Ring so I gave it to my brother. To be fair it’s more to do with my lack of patience and current mood to be fully invested in a game like that.

I’m struggling to finish Horizon FW. Great visuals but I’m bored, particularly with the characters and story.

Elden Ring is the single greatest video game ever created.

I'm listing that because I know that (that FACT) drives certain people crazy (like OP, who has been on a crusade against Elden Ring since launch - and was obviously the entire point of this thread being made).

How can an opinion be a fact? That seems like nonsense to me

Mr Hyde

1. I think Elden Ring sucks ass! Games similar like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne suck ass as well. My buddy got Elden Ring and I played a bit of his. My god it's just nothing fun about the game IMO. SLow clunky combat combined with tons of frustration equals a just game I can't figure why people like it. The whole "get good" slogan I say "Get fucked!" A real head scratcher on the praise of these games. I was given Dark Souls 3 and bloodbourne free on ps+ and every time I try to play them it's just a yawn fest. My very unpopular opinion but it is mine.

angry star wars GIF by Hyper RPG

Elden Ring doesn't suck but it's nowhere near as good as Dark Souls 1 or 3, let alone the "greatest game of all time" hype that people gave it. I'm 65 hours in and having a hard time finding interest in continuing, the world is bland, exploration is unrewarding, and it's the weakest boss and dungeon design in the main Soulsborne series. The combat is great but that's about it

Zeroing

Banned
Xbox has a bad first part lineup
Wait, it is unpopular because nobody agrees or the fans will get angry? because most people agree xbox does not have good exclusives so far.
The entire media narrative around Elden Ring is incredibly overhyped and blown way out of proportion.

It's ..just one of those Souls games with a somewhat open world.
You're saying that because it is not on gamepass ;)

Dr Bass

2022 games? I guess I don't think HFW was that great as a game. Ridiculous visually, but just not very fun. I did finish it, but it felt like something I "needed" to do and not something I wanted to do. Had to force myself to finish it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I hate the term "open world" because it fails at describing how interactive an open world is.

Elden Ring is open world since you can tackle areas in your own order, but the world is barely interactive. Nothing about the environment can be impacted on a moment to moment scale. NPCs might as well be furniture.

Compare this with titles like:

Elder Scrolls which has actual cycles for NPCs where they live out their lives in convincing ways.

Zelda BotW has physical systems that come together for novel interactions. Like setting a fire in the tall grass and watching the wind blow it down to surround an enemy encampment.

All three of these games are probably labeled Open World RPGs, but it isn't really helpful in describing the worlds in which you will play.

1) Souls games are whatever. Nothing special, just games that only have very hard as a difficulty setting. Overly overhyped, but ok.

2)Horizon Zero Dawn is a inferior “game” to Forbidden West. But I enjoyed it way more. Graphics shouldn’t be a focus next time around. And it should be the last of the series.

3)DualSense has disappointing support. VR will probably fix this.

4)Xbox has terrible first party games and a horrible UI. But with recent purchases it would be foolish to think it will stay like this.

5) Ghost of Tsushima was a low tier AAA exclusive. Extremely overhyped. Overall a decent experience.

6)Studio Japan should have been reformed way earlier.

7)Japanese studios make technically embarrassing games. And stories are best described as “things happened, because.”

8)Sony got the worst possible exclusives from Bethesda. Deathloop would have been great if the AI was merely decent. But it was so terrible it ruined the game.

9)Nintendo might never make a home console ever again. Switch2 will be with slightly better graphics and a airplay like feature.

8)Call of Duty is going to falter. Sony will co-promote the hell out of a competitor. Epic games being the benefactor. EA if they suck Sony hard enough.

9)Microsoft will be the biggest mobile gaming publisher in the world, which will ultimately make them the biggest gaming publisher. By using Tencent‘s playbook.

10)Sony will leech money out of Playstation and put it into cars. Not wanting to be known as a gaming company.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
After buying Quest 2, I am deeply disappointed with Xbox not supporting VR. It could be just from the Wi-fi alone, because the Air Link is revolutionary and works really well. I can see how PSVR2 can be easily without any cables while not compromising on quality of the picture.

Also there is a disappointing lack of VR games in general. We have cheap headsets, which are perfectly fine for usage of a normal person and yet. So where is gaming industry?!

PS: I love Elden Ring, already around 100 hours there, I don't generally play games for that long.

DarthPutin

- Elden Ring has its cool sides but is very boring. What is there would be enough for a game 1/10 as long as it is. If anything as an open world it's a devolution, not evolution. I love open worlds, but people always complain about "big, empty open worlds with repetitive content". Here is really dead and empty world with tons of repetition and everyone loves it apparently.

- The difficulty worshipping is ridic here because of all the ways to cheese a lot of the game, while making the combat pretty dumb. I am sure it makes perfect sense for something like Sekiro, where call ashes/overlevel/roll and spam magic/froststomp everything to death is not an option.

- I have big doubts that all subscription future will have many big AAA single player games, unless maybe some endless RPGs. And I don't think Gamepass "please subscribe to us" early days are much of indication of what's to come. Hopefully I am wrong though.

- Graphics in the games mean a lot to me. I don't want to stare at something ugly for hours.

Top Bottom