• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube will now hide dislike bar

plushyp

UzNkHic.jpg

GymWolf

Reminds me of when Netflix got rid of the rating system so you couldn't tell which of their exclusives were trash. Its probably both what you said and protecting corps from blow back.
I'm curious, how did netflix justified hiding the rating system? Since it is a pretty anti-consumer move, far more than yt since you don't pay to watch yt and they have no obbligatoons towards people.

Xerographica

Neo Member
Shortly before the dislikes disappeared I had an epiphany that it would be extremely helpful if the likes to dislikes ratio (as a percentage) was displayed next to the thumbnails. Then we wouldn't waste our time clicking on poorly rated videos.

Now the only real alternative ratio is the views to likes. How useful is this ratio?

GloveSlap

I'm curious, how did netflix justified hiding the rating system? Since it is a pretty anti-consumer move, far more than yt since you don't pay to watch yt and they have no obbligatoons towards people.
I'm sure they did what they all do, which is tell their customers that the changes are for their benefit.

I like how Prime video has it set up where they show the IMDB rating. Some times it doesn't show up for some reason though.

GymWolf

I'm sure they did what they all do, which is tell their customers that the changes are for their benefit.

I like how Prime video has it set up where they show the IMDB rating. Some times it doesn't show up for some reason though.
How is hiding a rating system for our benefit? did they introduced something similar?

Kacho

How is hiding a rating system for our benefit? did they introduced something similar?
In this case they claim it benefits creators because removing dislikes discourages people from mass disliking videos. It's all horseshit though. It's clearly done to benefit products large corporations promote on the platform. I can't think of any notable instances where legit creators got neg bombed for something that wasn't earned. The only time we hear about neg bombs is when studios shit the bed, like we saw with Ghostbusters 2016 or Santa Inc. That's what they're trying to protect here.

On a related note, Ubisoft dropped that cringe NFT trailer for Ghost Recon Breakpoint last week and it got negged so hard they delisted it. We only knew it got negged that hard thanks to browser extensions.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Pretty sure all API points wil close today or tomorrow.
I had a previous one that stopped working earlier today, I hope this one will stay longer but anyway I'm sure people will find a solution, one way or another

Movie GIF

dbilyliker

I find it scary that this can lead to extreme, attention-grabbing videos that seem very popular and send the wrong values

Saber

Gold Member
I find it scary that this can lead to extreme, attention-grabbing videos that seem very popular and send the wrong values

As some cult people already explained on well detailed videos, theres a very difference between Youtube and craps like Twitter.
Twitter is either little piece of text, a picture or a small video. The user never engage itself with them, they are used to just keep scrolling and give likes randomly to what he/she think its right.

Youtube on the other hand is a content operator and a search engime. The quality of your time is the essence, meaning that if the video is not good it should have negativity. Not for the stupid argument of "hate mob", but with the objective of telling the viewer about the quality of the video overall. Disliked videos are a warning to the user to know that something about it is not right. We instinctly go to the comment section, maybe someone clarifies whats is going on.

With the removal of dislike, people are free to do bad takes, bad videos and false info without any repercurtion. Giving an example of my personnal experience, I was looking for a video of Crash Team Racing Nitro on PS5 long ago. At the tag of the video was written "Crash Team Racing Nitro on PS5 at 4K and 60 FPS". I was like "Woah, I didn't know this game would be improved." But before I started watching, the video has a good amount of dislikes. And like those guys already explained, I scrolled down to see whats wrong. The first comment was "This video is a sham. Theres no support for 60fps for Crash and neither is 4K".

Videos like that one, videos from Gillete and countless other are now free to roam, free of any criticism. Because you can see only the likes, then it's a sight that the video was very positive/sucessfull.

dbilyliker

As some cult people already explained on well detailed videos, theres a very difference between Youtube and craps like Twitter.
Twitter is either little piece of text, a picture or a small video. The user never engage itself with them, they are used to just keep scrolling and give likes randomly to what he/she think its right.

Youtube on the other hand is a content operator and a search engime. The quality of your time is the essence, meaning that if the video is not good it should have negativity. Not for the stupid argument of "hate mob", but with the objective of telling the viewer about the quality of the video overall. Disliked videos are a warning to the user to know that something about it is not right. We instinctly go to the comment section, maybe someone clarifies whats is going on.

With the removal of dislike, people are free to do bad takes, bad videos and false info without any repercurtion. Giving an example of my personnal experience, I was looking for a video of Crash Team Racing Nitro on PS5 long ago. At the tag of the video was written "Crash Team Racing Nitro on PS5 at 4K and 60 FPS". I was like "Woah, I didn't know this game would be improved." But before I started watching, the video has a good amount of dislikes. And like those guys already explained, I scrolled down to see whats wrong. The first comment was "This video is a sham. Theres no support for 60fps for Crash and neither is 4K".

Videos like that one, videos from Gillete and countless other are now free to roam, free of any criticism. Because you can see only the likes, then it's a sight that the video was very positive/sucessfull.
Yes, that's a good point!As your example suggests, even I think steal the spotlight with misinformation seems actually wise if there is no "dislike" option,It's a very distorted value

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Trying to imagine what a video like that would look like, but I can't think of anything that would fit that particular bill and still be able to reach the number of likes versus views to make people think that the video is a success. Because despite the dislike bar being hidden away it's still fairly easy to see a hidden stinker. Because if the video has an absolute just crap ton of views versus a relatively low number of likes it's pretty safe to assume that the video is getting downvoted into oblivion.

Can you give an example of a topic or something that would be able to fly under the radar like that?

Last edited:

WFairfax89

Neo Member
What a stupid move... How are we predicted to know if the content, especially educational are worth watching, and potentially trying if I can't see the ratio between likes and dislikes? This could even get dangerous...

dbilyliker

Let's say we have a video right now that says GTA6 will be released next year. Some of them liked it because they thought it was good news, while others looked it up and knew it must be fake news and clicked "dislike". All the publishers have to do is delete the comments that say it's fake, and the video looks like exciting real news.
You might think this is silly, but that's probably because the example I gave you is about GTA, which you're familiar with. What if the video is about science, politics, or other subjects unfamiliar to the average person?
Trying to imagine what a video like that would look like, but I can't think of anything that would fit that particular bill and still be able to reach the number of likes versus views to make people think that the video is a success. Because despite the dislike bar being hidden away it's still fairly easy to see a hidden stinker. Because if the video has an absolute just crap ton of views versus a relatively low number of likes it's pretty safe to assume that the video is getting downvoted into oblivion.

Can you give an example of a topic or something that would be able to fly under the radar like that?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Let's say we have a video right now that says GTA6 will be released next year. Some of them liked it because they thought it was good news, while others looked it up and knew it must be fake news and clicked "dislike". All the publishers have to do is delete the comments that say it's fake, and the video looks like exciting real news.
You might think this is silly, but that's probably because the example I gave you is about GTA, which you're familiar with. What if the video is about science, politics, or other subjects unfamiliar to the average person?
Okay I don't really know if you thought that sounded better in your head before you typed it all out or what but that is completely ridiculous. Because everything you just said works under the assumption that there is literally only one source of information for anything in all the world and that source is a YouTube video. To follow your example about there being a video about a GTA release there would be other Insiders with information. There would be other gaming journalists with contacts. The single YouTube video in this hypothetical would not be the one and only source of information in all of humanity. And to move outside the hypothetical and to address the other things that you were talking about if this was a video about science, medical information, or any other important thing out there there would be more than one source of information about it. So even if some chucklehead tried to put out some misinformation on YouTube that somehow got a crap load of views and enough likes to make it seem like a realistic video there would still be enough people out there to refute such a thing if it was a big enough deal.

I'm not really sure what reality you think you live in but the world does not revolve around YouTube and the like and dislike ratio. Nobody is making any life-changing decisions based upon a like and dislike ratio. And anyone who does needs to have their fucking brains checked.

And I say that as someone who generally dislikes this whole move by YouTube Because all it does is provide corporations cover to disregard their failures. But to pretend this is going to be weaponized as some kind of turning point in the misinformation crusade is just patently ridiculous. At most all this move does is give corporations and studios plausible deniability when they put out something that flops like crap. It is just a way for them to ignore their latest and greatest getting down voted into Oblivion. This is not the door opening to the ignorant and the stupid being able to brainwash the masses.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Because everything you just said works under the assumption that there is literally only one source of information for anything in all the world and that source is a YouTube video.
Youtube is sadly for many the only source.

If an influencer wants to shill for a product, preaching it to the heavens and beyond, but forgets to mention a partnership .. how does the "youtube normie" know, if the video review for a product X is unbiased or not.

Remember the microsoft, xbone promo with some influencer (machina?) and/or similar where they "forgot" to mention it and the FTC had to step in. The dislike button had this much power, let others know if the video is objectively or is pushing an agenda.

Hopefully someone will create an addon, that can display overlays on a YT video with a score, comments (max. 100 characters) externally. This way google has no power and ppl. could support it. Maybe sponsorblock addon can add that somehow, a floating score on top of a video.

Last edited:

dbilyliker

Okay I don't really know if you thought that sounded better in your head before you typed it all out or what but that is completely ridiculous. Because everything you just said works under the assumption that there is literally only one source of information for anything in all the world and that source is a YouTube video. To follow your example about there being a video about a GTA release there would be other Insiders with information. There would be other gaming journalists with contacts. The single YouTube video in this hypothetical would not be the one and only source of information in all of humanity. And to move outside the hypothetical and to address the other things that you were talking about if this was a video about science, medical information, or any other important thing out there there would be more than one source of information about it. So even if some chucklehead tried to put out some misinformation on YouTube that somehow got a crap load of views and enough likes to make it seem like a realistic video there would still be enough people out there to refute such a thing if it was a big enough deal.

I'm not really sure what reality you think you live in but the world does not revolve around YouTube and the like and dislike ratio. Nobody is making any life-changing decisions based upon a like and dislike ratio. And anyone who does needs to have their fucking brains checked.

And I say that as someone who generally dislikes this whole move by YouTube Because all it does is provide corporations cover to disregard their failures. But to pretend this is going to be weaponized as some kind of turning point in the misinformation crusade is just patently ridiculous. At most all this move does is give corporations and studios plausible deniability when they put out something that flops like crap. It is just a way for them to ignore their latest and greatest getting down voted into Oblivion. This is not the door opening to the ignorant and the stupid being able to brainwash the masses.
I want video sites to provide me with as much information as possible to help me decide.

Top Bottom