• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the great thing about dungeons is that they are thematically fitted to the area that they are in, have a little story and unique designs.

So far it looks like the shrines are looking the same and are not really integrated in the enviroment

I guess we'll have to see if any other Shrines have different art/graphics but in terms of actual gameplay the Puzzles in them have been pretty varied thus far.

My take on it is that I'd prefer 100 Shrines + 4 traditional dungeons with good gameplay over 6-7 traditional dungeons - especially since it looks like we're gonna get much more dungeon gameplay through Shrines than the former can possibly hope to have.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Skyward Sword was designed to have the whole overworld be like a dungeon, and the game still ended up having 7 full dungeons. It's looking quite likely that BotW will have 4 dungeons, but it's not entirely unlikely that there will end up being 6-9 dungeons.

If there are normal dungeons in the game (and by normal I mean with keys, floors, a proper atmosphere, etc), something that by the way I still don't believe, it is almost certain that they aren't going to be themed like in the other Zeldas. At my own risk, I'll put here this interview to Aonuma from two days ago that is quite disconcerting regarding this topic:

Il y en a plus d'une centaine en fait ! On ne parle plus de « donjons » mais de « sanctuaires ». S'ils avaient tous été longs et compliqués, les joueurs n'auraient probablement jamais fini le jeu, donc on a voulu qu'ils soient des récompenses plutôt que des épreuves en soi. L'amusement consiste pour beaucoup à les trouver, car certains sont très bien cachés. Ils sont très différents de ceux des précédents Zelda, même si certains sont beaucoup plus gros et comportent un boss à la fin de manière plus traditionnelle.
En revanche, on ne fait plus comme avant. Si un temple se trouvait dans une forêt, on en faisait le donjon de la forêt. Maintenant, ils sont plutôt conçus pour faire progresser Link et sont tous construits sur une base assez similaire, mais en utilisant le moteur physique du jeu pour offrir des énigmes stimulantes.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2017/01/21/jeux-video-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sera-un-moment-cle-dans-l-histoire-de-la-saga_5066750_4408996.html#VUoyF52JILkFqSju.99

l0Ex9h5iYaPvZL9ni.gif

Look at Link's face when looking at her before she falls into his arms. Never seen him look like that before. That emotion that he just know they failed and hes sorry. He almost wants to cry to but holding it back. Man I love this link.

That'd be awesome.

I have this really bad feeling that the dungeons are going to be really underwhelming. Don't know why.
The dungeons are what take Zelda from a good game to legendary status. I'm sure Nintendo knows what their real bread and butter is in this series. I'm confident this game is going to deliver in every way.

McBryBry

Decided I wanted to play through all of the Zelda games I can before this, as there's plenty I've never played.

Finished the original yesterday, had a really good time actually playing it all the way through. Fun to discover all the hidden stuff and learn how to really play well.

Started Zelda 2 today... I'm at Death Mountain and I think I'm fed up. This is just ridiculous. I knew it was a different kind of game but I didn't expect to go from fun to fuming this quickly in the series...

Decided I wanted to play through all of the Zelda games I can before this, as there's plenty I've never played.

Finished the original yesterday, had a really good time actually playing it all the way through. Fun to discover all the hidden stuff and learn how to really play well.

Started Zelda 2 today... I'm at Death Mountain and I think I'm fed up. This is just ridiculous. I knew it was a different kind of game but I didn't expect to go from fun to fuming this quickly in the series...

Alttp goes back to the original style

ksamedi

If there are normal dungeons in the game (and by normal I mean with keys, floors, a proper atmosphere, etc), something that by the way I still don't believe, it is almost certain that they aren't going to be themed like in the other Zeldas. At my own risk, I'll put here this interview to Aonuma from two days ago that is quite disconcerting regarding this topic:

Instrad of posting a wall of French text, can you be so kind to translate what is being said ? Nobody but a few understand what you just posted

Instrad of posting a wall of French text, can you be so kind to translate what is being said ? Nobody but a few understand what you just posted

Through google translate it says that there are "sanctuaries" that are much larger and have bosses at the end, but they are different from previous zelda. It seems to imply that these larger dungeons are similar thematically to shrines, giving credence that the 4 main dungeons of the game will be the 4 divine beasts.

I don't expect the dungeons to be the "traditional" ones in any way. I expect 4 larger temples that will have a lot more time spent inside them to solve the puzzles and get to the end and fight the bosses. And i'm totally fine with that. The overworld is the emphasis, and can already give quite the variation in environments and challenge, both through puzzles, combat, and navigation.

AniHawk

There are 11 scenes with Zelda prior to the old man saying you must save her. Plus she speaks and cries before then too. Not saying you are wrong about Zelda being mainly in flashbacks. But you see more of here before we are asked to save her than after.

i'm talking about 'ready to hear what happened 100 years ago'

then we see allllll of the zelda stuff. after that, we see the open your eyes portion.

My french is far from perfect, but this is basically what it says:

There are more than one hundred [of dungeons] in fact! But we don't talk anymore about "dungeons", we talk about "shrines". If we had made them long and complex players would never be able to finish this game, and we wanted them to be rewards instead of trials. Part of the fun consists in finding the shrines, because some of them are very well hidden. They are quite different from the dungeons found in previous Zeldas, even if some of them are much larger and have a boss battle at the end, in a traditional way. On the other hand, we haven't done them like in the past. Before, if a temple was located in a forest, we did a forest temple. But now, they are designed in order to help Link progressing and are built following a very similar base, while using the physics engine of the game in order to offer stimulating puzzles.

I know that Aonuma has said several times that there are big dungeons with bosses in the game, but the way he talks in this interview (which, I repeat, is from two days ago) makes me think that those big dungeons are just big shrines. That probably means they won't be designed after an esthetic (something that he specifically says) nor playable theme, and I'm not expecting them to be much more than, well, shrines that are bigger.

Look at Link's face when looking at her before she falls into his arms. Never seen him look like that before. That emotion that he just know they failed and hes sorry. He almost wants to cry to but holding it back. Man I love this link.

I think there are many possibilities to interpret this animation. One is that he seems surprised and possible a bit annoyed (look at his eyes when he is holding her) that he must babysit a crying girl when there is a Ganon to defeat.

My french is far from perfect, but this is basically what it says:

Like i said, he still talks about the traditional "dungeons". There will be dungeons, it may not what you expect in terms of tradition for keys or things like that, but there will be dungeons, and they are larger and have bosses at the end, which is what i wanted.

Like i said, he still talks about the traditional "dungeons". There will be dungeons, it may not what you expect in terms of tradition for keys or things like that, but there will be dungeons, and they are larger and have bosses at the end, which is what i wanted.

The issue I see potentially is that they won't have unique central mechanics to them. Mark Brown touched on that the "puzzle Box" nature of good dungeons in Zelda is a key element and I hope they can achieve that.

What I still take from it is that dungeons are under the blanket of Shrines yet act essentially like a large dungeon.

But a big shrine is not a dungeon. Not a good one at least, if it isn't a huge maze, or if it doesn't have a theme, some plot, a propper musical theme, exclusive puzzles... not saying that the ones from BoTW can't have those ingredients, but that's definitely not the impression I'm getting from that interview.

I'm pretty sure we all here were expecting much more from the dungeons of this game than being big shrines with a boss at the end.

Moose84

- Nintendo confirmed multiple times at E3 there are standard dungeons in addition to the shrines

- Nintendo confirmed multiple times since E3 there are standard dungeons in addition to the shrines

- The strategy guide references and distinguishes between dungeons and mini-dungeons

- It's a Zelda game, of course there are dungeons

Can we please please please move on. There are dungeons in the game. If you've seen the translated world map from the Treehouse footage, you know how many there will be. Is Kamek Koopa just trolling us? Surely no one can be that obtuse!

A lot more detail to notice now. Building slightly hidden in the background, might be a pond against the xliff wall at the back of the town. Spot a couple of lamposts and what looks like a mailbox on the main street.
LeVRZL1.png

Wonder if we'll be able to enter every building.

I dig the Potions Shop down there in the bottom right :D

I wonder if the colors will have the same effects as always or something new since there's the whole cooking/eating/stamina gameplay element now?

A lot more detail to notice now. Building slightly hidden in the background, might be a pond against the xliff wall at the back of the town. Spot a couple of lamposts and what looks like a mailbox on the main street.
LeVRZL1.png

Wonder if we'll be able to enter every building.
That town looks super familiar.

But a big shrine is not a dungeon. Not a good one at least, if it isn't a huge maze, or if it doesn't have a theme, some plot, a propper musical theme, exclusive puzzles... not saying that the ones from BoTW can't have those ingredients, but that's definitely not the impression I'm getting from that interview.

I'm pretty sure we all here were expecting much more from the dungeons of this game than being big shrines with a boss at the end.

Well, we will have to wait to see these dungeons. Aonuma confirmed multiple times that there will be dungeons that have a more traditional structure than the shrines. The music will probably be exclusive to it, especially if there are only four. The journey for reaching those beasts will also contain themes, considering that the locations of them are in the air, death mountain, desert and the only that we haven't seen is speculated to be on the ocean, there will be areas about them that will be unique. The dungeons themselves will most likely share a theme in terms of the corrupted sheikah technology, but you will see more water, fire, air, and things like that depending on the divine beast that you are inside, if the beasts themselves are the dungeons of course.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean damn, we probably peeped a dungeon in that last trailer we saw, but okay...

Whatever, for those who still somehow don't believe they exist, I guess you got a pleasant surprise waiting for you.

Well, we will have to wait to see these dungeons. Aonuma confirmed multiple times that there will be dungeons that have a more traditional structure than the shrines. The music will probably be exclusive to it, especially if there are only four. The journey for reaching those beasts will also contain themes, considering that the locations of them are in the air, death mountain, desert and the only that we haven't seen is speculated to be on the ocean, there will be areas about them that will be unique. The dungeons themselves will most likely share a theme in terms of the corrupted sheikah technology, but you will see more water, fire, air, and things like that depending on the divine beast that you are inside, if the beasts themselves are the dungeons of course.

Let's hope you are right, even though I'm not really convinced about it.

Whatever, for those who still somehow don't believe they exist, I guess you got a pleasant surprise waiting for you.

I just hope so.

PrimeBeef

If they call it a dungeon and it's a large shrine, it's still a dungeon because that is what they are calling dungeons in this game.

That interview is actually quite good though, thanks for pointing it out kamek. How did you find it? I have sometimes a hard time finding new interviews in different languages.

It seems like aonuma wrote all of the dialogue for the old man, like he did for the king of red lions in wind waker.

IGN portugal posted the video about epona:

"will epona be in the game?"

Aonuma: "Epona is in the game, but i won't tell anything about how to find her or if you can control her"

WHAT DOES THIS MEANSSSS

Sorry if this has been asked before, but Best Buy doesn't seem to have a release date for the WiiU version even though we have one?

It's confirmed to be march 3rd, maybe best buy didn't update it yet, but the game will release the same day as the switch version, in retail and digital version.

Dystify

Sorry if this has been asked before, but Best Buy doesn't seem to have a release date for the WiiU version even though we have one?

Many online stores aren't really up to date when it comes to Switch stuff and Zelda release dates. It's definitely releasing March 3rd.

Vinnk

Sorry if this is not the place to ask this. But I live in Japan and want to play Zelda in English. Right now I have a pre-order for a US copy of the game (which I will pay to get shipped to Japan) but now I am hearing that both languages are on the cart. If this is true, I could save some money by buying it locally.

Do I have my information correct?

Cerium

Sorry if this is not the place to ask this. But I live in Japan and want to play Zelda in English. Right now I have a pre-order for a US copy of the game (which I will pay to get shipped to Japan) but now I am hearing that both languages are on the cart. If this is true, I could save some money by buying it locally.

That is what Aonuma said yes. You just change your region settings. Apparently.

Yes, aonuma said that the game language will play based on your system's language. So if you set up your switch to be in english, it will play the game in english

ckaneo

Yes. Just switch your switch to english and that version will load up.

Dystify

That is correct. You'll have to switch the language of your Switch to English and it automatically changes the language of the game.

It's confirmed to be march 3rd, maybe best buy didn't update it yet, but the game will release the same day as the switch version, in retail and digital version.

Many online stores aren't really up to date when it comes to Switch stuff and Zelda release dates. It's definitely releasing March 3rd.

Oh I don't doubt it'll release March 3rd, just wanna make sure Best Buy's not gonna screw up orders for launch day :p

Vinnk

Thanks guys! That will save me some money and I won't have to wait for it to come in the mail.

I won't if other games will be like this. I'd buy the Japanese physical version of I am Setsuna if there was English on cart.

I know that Aonuma has said several times that there are big dungeons with bosses in the game, but the way he talks in this interview (which, I repeat, is from two days ago) makes me think that those big dungeons are just big shrines. That probably means they won't be designed after an esthetic (something that he specifically says) nor playable theme, and I'm not expecting them to be much more than, well, shrines that are bigger.

The issue I see potentially is that they won't have unique central mechanics to them. Mark Brown touched on that the "puzzle Box" nature of good dungeons in Zelda is a key element and I hope they can achieve that.

- Nintendo confirmed multiple times at E3 there are standard dungeons in addition to the shrines

- Nintendo confirmed multiple times since E3 there are standard dungeons in addition to the shrines

- The strategy guide references and distinguishes between dungeons and mini-dungeons

- It's a Zelda game, of course there are dungeons

Can we please please please move on. There are dungeons in the game. If you've seen the translated world map from the Treehouse footage, you know how many there will be. Is Kamek Koopa just trolling us? Surely no one can be that obtuse!

If they call it a dungeon and it's a large shrine, it's still a dungeon because that is what they are calling dungeons in this game.

If it's a large, time-consuming, puzzle-filled area with many different rooms, a mini-boss and a large, unique boss at the end of it - it's a dungeon to me - no matter what Nintendo calls it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom