• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

Well, it`s two rooms, that seems to rotate and twist in new ways. We saw what looks like interiors in the lizalfos fire breathing scene and the sheikah warrior. At least it seems like a buildup to the beasts.

They showed a shrine the spun and rotated just like that one.

The scene with the Lizalfos looks more like a dungeon. The guardians are likely more like bosses with shrines inside them.

This is what I was thinking, but then I thought about the destroyed/deactivated camel guardian from the trailer. It sure looked like you were supposed to go "into" it from that scene. Maybe I misread it though.

Right, you'd go inside them like speculated. I just hope you would need to do that before you're able to get into the actual dungeon, rather than after it in the place of a boss fight.

I'm wondering how traditional the dungeons are going to be. Like, will we have to collect keys, a map, compass, a boss key, etc.?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the answer is no.

I'm wondering how traditional the dungeons are going to be. Like, will we have to collect keys, a map, compass, a boss key, etc.?

I'm hoping for traditional elements that can by bypassed with experimentation. So say you can't figure out how to get passed a room with a locked door, there's another route somewhere else.

I'm hoping for traditional elements that can by bypassed with experimentation. So say you can't figure out how to get passed a room with a locked door, there's another route somewhere else.

That'd be awesome.

I have this really bad feeling that the dungeons are going to be really underwhelming. Don't know why.

It's petty, but my only concern regarding this game is the amount and quality of the dungeons.

I can't help but think about it whenever I think about this game for some reason. Zelda games are famous for having noteworthy and impressive dungeons, so I hope this game is truly perfect in that regard.

That'd be awesome.

I have this really bad feeling that the dungeons are going to be really underwhelming. Don't know why.

Me too :(

Skeletos311

Gold box mockup I made from the art, which does not perfectly match the actual box art, but close enough. Looks kind of ugly in gold.

pYjCK6E.gif

Caelus

Prior to the Life in the Ruins trailer, people had really bad feelings and straight up believed the game would have no towns, villages, or even a story.

Clearly we see this is not the case, the game isn't due for another month or so, and we can tell from map analysis that there's so much they haven't revealed and probably won't until people finally have their hands on it.

Maybe the dungeon count will be underwhelming, I'm expecting 5-6, but it's not like quantifying that matters when past Zelda games with large dungeon counts have largely been about finding how to get to the next dungeon while the overworlds themselves were of little consequence.

That is most likely not true in this game, where the overworld is the emphasis.

Healthy skepticism is always fine and dandy, but let's not go overboard - like some people in this thread who wrung their hands over the game having no main dungeons whatsoever...

udivision

That'd be awesome.

Because we're getting 120 mini-dungeon things, it's either the main dungeons will feel a bit samey (as in, like several shrines strung together) or they'll be so different than a traditional Zelda Dungeon that it'll manage to be fresh.

I'm not too worried other either way.

Prior to the Life in the Ruins trailer, people had really bad feelings and straight up believed the game would have no towns, villages, or even a story.

Well, those people were silly, as Aonuma emphasized multiple times during E3 that the game has towns.

Healthy skepticism is always fine and dandy, but let's not go overboard - like some people in this thread who wrung their hands over the game having no main dungeons whatsoever...

I'm not going overboard. I'm fully convinced this game will be amazing. I just don't think traditional dungeons are going to be a big part of why it's so great. They're obviously in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're not nearly as well made as the dungeons in, say, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. There's only so much time a dev team has to make a game and compromises will definitely need to be made.

Do people want dungeons that have compasses and maps inside treasure chests? Those seem like really tired videogame-y tropes that I'd like to never see again in Zelda.

Do people want dungeons that have compasses and maps inside treasure chests? Those seem like really tired videogame-y tropes that I'd like to never see again in Zelda.

I don't really mind either way, but if they are in, I'm not seeing why it'd be a problem. I think a video game has every right to do video game things.

Cuz you weeeeurd.

I think the reason I feel this way is because Nintendo has always....always shown at least one dungeon before the launch of a Zelda game. But maybe they're actually doing now what they should have always done with these games in the past and are keeping a lot of its contents a secret.

And don't get me wrong, I know dungeons are in the game. Just seems weird that we've seen nothing about them, which makes me think they aren't really a big focus. Which is honestly ok with me if the rest of the game is great.

Your son would be more optimistic.

lol oh god

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I wouldn't mind it, but I also wouldn't mind some larger dungeon type structures that instead make use of BotW's unique gameplay features. Using the game's new physics engine, climbing and other systems like fire propagation and destruction in order to solve puzzles, overcome obstacles and so on in ways we haven't seen in the much more linear and one solution puzzles of past games.

Shrines of Trials will more than likely satiate my desire for very traditional style puzzle and switches and such that previous games have had. But BotW could and should be the game that actual is able to create an organic and more seamless experience of locations and set pieces that feel like natural parts of the world and not set apart.

I wondering how bosses are gonna work.

With the new gameplay, are we going to need a special item or can we take them out with what we have? Are there going to be multiple ways to beat them?

I think the trailer showed two bosses,or what looked like a boss.

I wondering how bosses are gonna work.

With the new gameplay, are we going to need a special item or can we take them out with what we have? Are there going to be multiple ways to beat them?

I think the trailer showed two bosses,or what looked like a boss.

Steppe Talus may be the bluprint for the bosses of this game. A boss that has a health meter rather than the usual three cycle fight, where you have to hit its weak spot (A dark rock in its head), but you can do it in a myriad of ways, and depending on how you do it, you will destroy it more easily. If you use a simple wooden stick, it will break and you won't do much damage, but hammers destroy that kind of rock easily, so you should equip yourself with that.

arlucool

Regarding dungeons, there's this interview from a few days ago with Aonuma that was published on waypoint:

There are fewer big dungeons in the new game, and an emphasis on Link having many smaller shrines to explore, spread around the map. Is that a design choice that goes back to the beginning of the project? Or is that a change you made when the decision was taken to make the game for two platforms, to reflect the battery life of the Switch when it's undocked? So the player can finish a shrine in a single handheld sitting?

It wasn't necessarily an original design point. At first, we were planning to include more large, labyrinth-style dungeons, the sort of things you'd expect in a Zelda title. But the reason we decided to include the smaller shrines—which isn't to say there aren't some larger dungeons in Breath of the Wild—was to strike a balance, between this extremely large (over)world that you're exploring, and these goals and objectives to explore within that. So by dotting these shrines around—a larger number of them, but with each smaller in size than the older-style dungeons—it helped bring up balance, and break up the huge world into smaller, explorable chunks.

So yes, there're dungeons in the game, and they're large, but it does sound that they are not a primary focus, or that they're very few of them.

--Edit:

There's voice acting in Breath of the Wild, for the first time in the Zelda series. Is that something you'd considered introducing before now? And personally, in other games you play, do you find that you develop a better connection with games characters when they are voiced?

I definitely feel that, when you're playing a game, if a character actually speaks to you, with a voice, then you do have a deeper connection with them. You get a clearer sense of who that character is, and what they're all about.

In terms of whether or not we'd considered using voice acting in the past, we definitely have thought about it. We weren't able to do it, though. This time, we could. Now, why we could this time, but not before, is to do with a certain system we've used in the game. But I can't really tell you any more about what that system is, because it'd kind of be giving too much away about the game. You'll just have to play it, and see how the voice acting fits in for yourself.

This part here, from the same interview, its really weird. o_O

boxter432

what do you guys think the attach rate at launch is going to be? lifetime?

for reference, Mario 64 (big game at launch with small launch count) ended with sales of almost 12million on an install base of about 32million, so was bought on over 1/3 of all 64 consoles.

other references: NSMB on DS (not launch but best selling game) is about 20%
MK Wii is at about 36%

at launch it seems it will be crazy high, 75-80%? lifetime feels like it should be well over 1/3 to me.
being on 2 systems may cut into it a bit, especially as time goes on and WiiU buyers who didn't jump in at launch buy a switch later (maybe at a discount) and played Zelda on WiiU already.

for reference, Mario 64 (big game at launch with small launch count) ended with sales of almost 12million on an install base of about 32million, so was bought on over 1/3 of all 64 consoles.

MK Wii is at about 36%

at launch it seems it will be crazy high, 75-80%? lifetime feels like it should be well over 1/3 to me.
being on 2 systems may cut into it a bit, especially as time goes on and WiiU buyers who didn't jump in at launch buy a switch later (maybe at a discount) and played Zelda on WiiU already.

At launch, 99%-100% - what else new is there to get for the Switch lol?

MK Wii is at about 36%

TP is probably the best comparison, having been on 2 systems and all and that sold 5.82 million. That sounds about right. Hard to say the attach rate since the Wii sold so much but 6 mil sounds reasonable.

Burny

So yes, there're dungeons in the game, and they're large, but it does sound that they are not a primary focus, or that they're very few of them.

Good. The main dungeons in Zelda have always overstayed their welcome for me. Trigger based puzzle chasing trigger based puzzle for an hour, in environments that were always completely asinine and served hardly any obvious purpose other than throwing trigger based puzzles at the player. Even in their most masked incarnation, e.g. the ice mansion, they've always felt like utterly non-organic places the way they are imbedded in the world. The formulaic nature of always getting the dungeon item half the way through, then using it to puzzle through the other half and fighting the main boss doesn't help after about the third game doing it either.

I liked them, but less dungeon and more overworld content is welcome. And not necessarily the Skyward Sword way, which turned the overworld into a large dungeon. Yay, more non-optional trigger based puzzles and less actual discovery and exploration.

Because a sheika terminal that downloads a dungeon map & data would be totally different!

Having said that I think the rumoured dungeons will be separate from the Sheika stuff, and mostly combat focused with the usual cast of enemies.
Insides of giant machines don't make sense as 'large dungeons' because some of the Shrines already look much larger than those could be.

If there's only four what if they're like really big, majora and bigger size. I mean if you just take the 100+ Shrines, that's already more dungeon-esque gameplay than 6-7 traditional dungeons.

Kind of out there theory but if this game is a sequel to the NES Zeldas. Wouldn't that mean there are possibly two Zeldas? I know Nintendo was never thinking of the consequences of having two Zeldas exist at the same time when they wrote the story. However, if Aonuma were to pick up the story from then they could go that route. The Princess Zelda from Zelda 2 was supposed to be one from a very long time ago and is likely the closest descendant of Hylia. With Zelda being asleep for so long as new person became the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom and continued on the Zelda legacy. This would explain Zelda in the original Zelda.

So getting to my point, what if Princess Zelda in the past sealed herself with Calamity Ganon in Hyrule Castle as evidenced during the demo. However, there is also a modern day Zelda who bears the Triforce of Wisdom and is playable. It would possibly make more sense of that comment Aonuma made about Link not being able to be a girl due to the balance of the triforce.

I wouldn't mind it, but I also wouldn't mind some larger dungeon type structures that instead make use of BotW's unique gameplay features. Using the game's new physics engine, climbing and other systems like fire propagation and destruction in order to solve puzzles, overcome obstacles and so on in ways we haven't seen in the much more linear and one solution puzzles of past games.

Shrines of Trials will more than likely satiate my desire for very traditional style puzzle and switches and such that previous games have had. But BotW could and should be the game that actual is able to create an organic and more seamless experience of locations and set pieces that feel like natural parts of the world and not set apart.
Yeah I want to see more large, organic, atmospheric dungeons over the traditional style. I thought SS did that well with Lanayru Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern, and Sandship. TP as well with Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, Forest Temple, Goron Mining Facility, and City in the Sky.

I'm thinking that the point of the dungeons may be to obtain a key item to stop the Divine Beast. The Divine Beasts will be broken into three parts. First you attack it and weaken it from the outside. After you weaken it enough you will have an opportunity to enter it. This phase will require you to complete different trials and traverse through the Divine Beast. At the end you face a more traditional boss battle against the thing corrupting the divine beast.

We know there is one dungeon located in the southwestern region of the map where the Game Trailer Awards 2014 footage took place which would be near the Elephant. South Western Dungeon will be somewhere in the Gerudo desert. North East dungeon will probably be death mountain. North West dungeon may be Snowpeak. Speaking of which since Snowpeak has returned, I hope the Yeti have too.

If there's only four what if they're like really big, majora and bigger size. I mean if you just take the 100+ Shrines, that's already more dungeon-esque gameplay than 6-7 traditional dungeons.

But the great thing about dungeons is that they are thematically fitted to the area that they are in, have a little story and unique designs.

So far it looks like the shrines are looking the same and are not really integrated in the enviroment

Cloukyo

Banned
Not sure why everyone wants everything splurged out to to them in trailers. I loved the most recent trailer but I think even that showed too much.

Ever since the MGSV trailers I've been wary of trailers. With that, there were so many awesome trailers that showed so many cool features and cutscenes. But when the game came out, we found out that's all there was, and there was literally no surprise to the game.

arlucool

This would explain Zelda in the original Zelda.

My God... e_e

I like this idea, but shouldn't you have to had played Zelda II to understand the whole plot? What I like about Zelda games is that the history is self-contained, even if connections and references are made all around. Of course, you understand it better knowing the ins and outs of Zelda history, but for the most part, you can understand the overall plot just fine.

The way its been said in interviews,"you have to play it and then see for yourself" makes me think we won't see too many specific references, but the usual subtle connections to past games.

Firemind

But the great thing about dungeons is that they are thematically fitted to the area that they are in, have a little story and unique designs.

So far it looks like the shrines are looking the same and are not really integrated in the enviroment
Exactly. They're pseudo scifi crap. Atmosphere isn't everything but it counts.

Exactly. They're pseudo scifi crap. Atmosphere isn't everything but it counts.

Don't get me wrong, I love how the shrines are looking, the atmosphere is very appealing to me. But if every shrine looks like that, of course its bad. And if every shrine is just a thumb sticking out of the overworld, its bad too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom