• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Tweak" Wish List

Dolobill

I would like the sound that the sheikah slate makes when you pull it up to be less obnoxious. It's too much for an action you do constantly.

Also the shrine detection beep needs to be quieter or something.

Crayolan

I'm 200 hours in, and I still go through one-handed weapons (mostly Royal Broadswords) like crazy.

Maybe 1h swords have bad durability then. All I know is a Royal Claymore+pretty much any other 30+ power weapon is enough to kill anything in lategame.

Gitaroo

Swap weapons on the ground by holding x, like wtf seriously this game has some of the worst UI from all the recent games that I have played. Should also let you drop items via quick menu. And yes remove the god damn weapon durability and stamina bar, this game has so much walking and climbing it become very tedious after 30mins. The game would have benefit diablo/nioh like loot system than lame ass durability system.

yurinka

-Increase weapon durability or remove this.
-Make cheaper to increase the stuff you can bring with you.
-Expand the amount of stuff you can leave at home (maybe expanding the house or adding 2 or 3 houses more).
-Add a Kolog puzzle option to the radar.
-Put a "find the guy where you can use the korog seeds" mission, as early main or side mission. I found him after 150 hours and because I went to find where I could use them in a guide.
-Mark in the map the amount of remaining shrines and korog seeds in each map area.
-Improve the way you move from melee weapon to bow and viceversa.
-Once you shown the "bloody moon" cinematic a few times alow to skip it pressing 1 button, or replace it by a text or voice message mentioning that it means that all monsters in Hyrule respawned because of that.
-Recipe book where you store the recipes you made even if you don't store the crafted item there.
-If you are wearing the climbing full costume set you shouldn't slide down when raining.
-Some guy who can tell you in each area who can give you new sidequests you still didn't activate.
-Ways to unlock in-game all the Amibo costumes, at least include them in the season pass.
-Reduce stamina drain when climbing, swimming and running.
-Let us pet dogs.
-Let us stable any rideable creature.
-Option for full button remap.

I like entire set button. I had already thought the same thing.

Thanks. I thought it would be a popular request. Near the end of the game, I was changing clothes like a runway model.

Audible off for powers. Master sword has a short sound and text popup. The voices scare me every time.

LOL. I'll admit, it startles me too. And the first one I ever got, I wasn't even playing. I had gotten up for something, and I heard a voice, and I couldn't figure out what I'd just missed. Until it eventually happened again while I was looking.

1. Like you said, durability is fine and essential if they are going to continue to have a large weapon variety, but it needs to be tweaked. Some kind of indicator that is easy to see (like minecraft weapons for example) would be nice. Overall weapons should last longer than they do in BOTW, and not be so commonly equipped by enemies - so when you get one in a chest you actually feel like it's a reward. Late-game weapons should be able to be repaired a-la crafting.

2. Crafting. Cooking is one of the best parts about BOTW (imo, and should be slightly nerfed to give less hearts) because it calls on the player to scavenge the world around them. Crafting would expand upon that idea and make exploration more rewarding. One of the things that bothered me so much about the early-game in BOTW was so hard it was to get arrows, especially without buying them. Allow us to craft arrows, for example, with wood and ores. Or make a tent with the hide of an animal to escape the cold or hide from monsters. Or high level weapons with rare metals that can only be found in remote areas of the world, etc etc. The crafting should be simple and accessible like cooking is in BOTW as well.

3. Dungeons. The highest priority of the next title. The beasts were a unique departure but never scratched the dungeon itch. I want majestic imposing dungeons that you can see from miles away, but are a challenge to get into like in ALBW. And also like the beasts, I want to at least be able to look upon the outside world from the dungeons to feel like they are blended. Memorable music needs to make a comeback here as well.

Dungeons should become semi-linear. Have a set of 2 or 3 dungeons, each of which give you a new item and can be done in any order, then have 2 or 3 more dungeons which require all items from the previous set; this allows for greater complexity in design.

Which brings me to my next point...

4. Items. Runes straight up need to go, as the harm they caused to the progression in BOTW was not worth the freedom. The best runes should be repurposed into new items (Magnesis, Stasis) and bombs can just get their classic appearance back - and require stock like arrows. Each dungeon would reward you with a new item, just like classic Zelda. Give us secret items too that can only be found through side quests, etc.

5. Shrines. I like the concept but they should go away in their current form. Instead, it would be cool if they revamped the idea as "trials". The trials should all be integrated into the world - they can be just like shrine quests (Eventide island was a great example), or hopefully expanded upon into things like mini-dungeons, or arenas where you need to kill mobs of enemies. Give us graveyards infested with re-deads we need to clear out, or random caves in the side of a mountain filled with puzzles. Trials should look natural, not stick out like a sore-thumb like shrines. The rewards could be the same since I don't really have an idea on what else the rewards could be.

6. Enemy variety. This is probably the second biggest one after dungeons. Not much needs to be said here, other than there is a plethora of past Zelda monsters that need to return. Deku babas, darknuts, redeads, etc etc. Most importantly, locations need to have unique enemies, there shouldn't be any other monster besides bokoblins and keese that you see everywhere.

7. Story and voice acting. I like what they tried with the memories, and wouldn't mind that returning, but it should be saved for additional storytelling, not the only device used. I want a Zant-like miniboss/ big narrative points that aren't just optionally skipped. Or a huge battle over Hyrule field involving an army of monsters. And yeah voice acting needs major improvement, they really dropped the ball there (which is fine because it's the first VA Zelda, I guess). Every character needs VA too not just big ones in cutscenes.

shauntu

Flailing while rolling down mountain? Next time, try moving. That causes Link to try getting up and stop flailing faster -- and thus stop continue getting damaged while rolling down.

xandaca

- Lower the frequency of rain in Central Hyrule, lower frequency of slipping and make the climbing gear rain-resistant
- Limit number of meals the player can eat within a certain timeframe (one every two minutes, for instance)
- Slight durability increase for low-level weapons like non-rusted swords and axes
- Increase difficulty of both stages of the Calamity Ganon battle (greater health and attack power for Ganon)
- New way of performing special attacks (Urbosa's fury, etc) so they aren't triggered automatically when you're trying to do something else (a spin attack, a non-automatic deflection, etc).
- Where possible, limit having to dive in and out of menus all the time, though I've no specific recommendations

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I like most everything about the game, but I would love for these changes to be made:

-Quick drop menus for shields, bows and weapons
-Ability to stable any creature you can ride
-Ability to repair weapons or weapon crafting

forrest

formerly nacire
-Pro Mode UI make hearts display dynamic so they aren't visible outside of combat or damage/healing.
-Recipe Book for cooking previously discovered meals.
-Create and Save armor sets with D-pad down as quick select for said sets.
-Drop weapons from quick select or Inventory full dialog prompt.
-Dial back chance for precipitation just a bit.
-More map icons (fairy, question mark, etc.)
-Crouch while using Camera - getting close ups of some animals is a pain, camera makes you stand
-Move stamina meter to corner.
-Show weapon durability in tooltip.
-Allow tracking of creature type as a group and not just by color.
-Dialog prompt speed option in settings.
-Button remapping (it's time Nintendo)

*I'd love to see transmog for vanity fashion, but would never happen.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Weapon durability is fine, in my opinion. But they should make it possible for the game to automatically switch to the next weapon. I reckon that most people's issue with weapon durability is not weapon durability itself. It's that you have to pause the game to select the next weapon in a list of up to 30 options.

Just add an option to auto-select the next strongest weapon or the next weakest weapon (for when you are fighting trash mobs) of the same type.

And yes, improve inventory management in general.

Pineconn

"BotW tweak thread"
here are a bunch of large scope design changes

All I want is the ability to drop weapons/bows/shields from the quick select menu, and perhaps the ability to do this when you open a chest with a full inventory. So many other ideas in this thread aren't simple "tweaks."

sanstesy

Cooking should be more obtuse and time consuming not less. Recipes are OP as all hell and being able to easily mass produce these will only encourage the use and accessibility of these fucking with the whole game balance.

Arrows and especially bomb & elemental arrows should be more rarer and harder to acquire. As it is they are too OP so either make them an extremely rare reward or relegate them to crafting only (of course normal arrows less so).

Hard mode!

Recipe book please please please.

Also I'd like to be able to catalogue NPCs in the Hyrule Compendium with short bios ala Wind Waker.

ckaneo

"Minor tweaks"

I feel like update culture has gotten the better of people. They expect devs to change games on their whim, even things that were obviously design choices they thought about and not just bugs or oversights.

Like registering non horses. They obviously wrote dialogue saying why you cant, so it's not an oversight or something to be fixed. They just don't want you to do it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly certain the Blood Moon is a cutscene of considerable length that occasionally lets you skip it because the game is repopulating the world while making the changes based on your progress (i.e. upgrading the equipment and enemies throughout). It's not the most elegant masking of a loading screen, though.

I agree about letting the player know about the current durability score of your weapon. A real adventurer would be able to have a general sense of how damaged their equipment is. I think the game should at least give us more than three states of "perfect," "damaged," and "badly damaged." Perhaps break up that middle "damaged" category into "low/high."

I'd also like a better way of swapping stuff. When you have a full inventory, getting things out a chest and especially swapping what you have stored [quest spoiler]
in your house
take too many steps.
For the house, the process should be not be drop your item, take the item you want, drop the item you just took, pick up the first item you dropped, place said item in the display case, and pick up the second item you dropped.
I'm probably doing it in an inefficient way, but there should be a "swap" method for storage and a "drop current item and take from chest" option for treasure.

I fully expected [feature spoiler]
one of the Champion abilities, perhaps the Gerudo because of the harsh and erratic climate or the Zora for rain
to let me control the weather like past Zelda games, but it really has not been a big issue for me. And I kind of like that the game wants you to respect its world and places nature above Link, [equipment spoiler]
though the Thunder Helm sort of ruins this

Recipe book please please please.

Also I'd like to be able to catalogue NPCs in the Hyrule Compendium with short bios ala Wind Waker.

I would love this. It would help with quests but mostly help me remember everyone I've met and add character to my adventure. This is beyond the scope of a tweak, but I'd love for this to be added in a sequel.

nynt9

A little bit more durability, and let your inventory show the durability of weapons.

Better horse controls.

Have climbing gear full set give a bonus that lets you not slip in the rain.

UI improvements.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I like the stamina meter where it is :/

My tweaks are

-Quick drop from selection menu
-Better/more consistent rewards from shrine chests
-Utility weapons (sledgehammer torch korok leaf axe) have more durability when used for their intended purpose
-Fast travel works for horses
-Can sneak while using the camera
-That fucking weapon conniseur quest is less picky about the + level of ancient weapons
-Some way to see Great Fairy upgrade requirements when not actually at the great Fairy
-Faster / more efficient / less annoying NPC interactions (great fairies, selling monster parts, dying clothes, etc)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I like the stamina meter where it is :/

My tweaks are

-Quick drop from selection menu
-Better/more consistent rewards from shrine chests
-Utility weapons (sledgehammer torch korok leaf axe) have more durability when used for their intended purpose
-Fast travel works for horses
-Can sneak while using the camera
-That fucking weapon conniseur quest is less picky about the + level of ancient weapons
-Some way to see Great Fairy upgrade requirements when not actually at the great Fairy
-Faster / more efficient / less annoying NPC interactions (great fairies, selling monster parts, dying clothes, etc)

I'm pretty sure the bolded is already in the game, at least for sledgehammers when mining, unless you meant that you want them to last longer than they currently do (and not have them last longer when used for their purpose). I've used a torch for a long time and never had it run out. I was actually unaware it could break while performing its purpose.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm pretty sure the bolded is already in the game, at least for sledgehammers when mining, unless you meant that you want them to last longer than they currently do (and not have them last longer when used for their purpose). I've used a torch for a long time and never had it run out. I was actually unaware it could break while performing its purpose.

Hmm. Now that you mention it torches never ran out for me either.

But while sledgehammers last a while things like Stone Smashers don't really seem to. So I guess I should just use the stock sledgehammer instead of the Goron weapons to break rocks.

jdstorm

Banned
Make the Master Sword and Hylian Shield and A Goddess Bow unbreakable but reduce their damage output. If the player has put in the effort required to get those items they deserve unbreakable weapons.

Being 50-100 hours into the game and still being worried about DPSing small groups of Moblins isnt fun. (Potential balance solution. Give the Moblins/low level enemies defensive items of clothing to set a new base difficulty once those items are unlocked)

-Extended mandatory cutscene for Zelda before the final boss showing how she grew as a person and became more self assured after Link went into Hibernation.

-be able to hold multiple versions of the same weapon ie Soldiers bow in one inventory slot. If weapons are going to be used like ammunition treat them as such, have the game automatically swap to the same weapon after you break one.

Ie I have 5 basic Swords and im fighting with one. It becomes damaged so i throw it for a critical hit. The game notices it and quickly gives me another until all my basic Swords are depleated. Then i am forced to go to the menu and select a different type of weapon.

BigEmil

The stamina meter is my biggest gripe. I find it too distracting and annoying do it like at top left like how ffxv handled the stamina meter

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I want less durability. Things take too long to break in the late game, you keep getting weapons and you've got too many in your inventory so you have to manage and drop shit. Make em break faster.

ffdgh

Hestu being cheaper would be great.

Edit: Oh yeah long throw is hilariously useless yet it's so dang common.

Luigiv

An option for main quest objective markers to be automatically disabled. Whilst it is quick and simple enough to manually disable objective markers (it only takes 2 button presses), it would be nice to not have to do it every single time a main quest updates.

Col.Asher

Make the blood moon spawn enemies and items outside viewing distance. I would like the loading to not exist for it, but I do not know if that is feasible.

Edit: get rid of the throwing distance weapon upgrade, it's useless and I get it all the fucking time.

CrazyHorse

You can skip it, I don't know if I'm doing it the right way, but I press all 4 face buttons on the controller at the same time and there is a prompt to press "+" to skip it.

As a tweak, let us upgrade several armor pieces at a time or at least one set at a time instead of piece by piece.

When you press x it prompts skip with +. I noticed that a press of 'A' prompts a press of x. Funny system.

OryoN

Option for skip the Blood Moon cutscene.

It is skippable. Don't remember exactly, but something with X and then + or the other way round. Just mash some buttons and press + lol.

you can skip it

Is it just me, or does skipping it lead to a longer loading screen that negates the skip anyway? I've stopped bothering. Anyway, I'm guessing he means don't play it at all...might not be feasible. Seems to me it's masking the game load re-populating all the beasties.

Sometimes it skips, most times it doesn't, no matter how much I mash the appropriate button. That bold text on that last qoute may actually explain why. I'm on the Wii U version, btw. Not sure if that's a factor too.

Edit:

When you press x it prompts skip with +. I noticed that a press of 'A' prompts a press of x. Funny system.

I've notice that before, but haven't always paid attention. I'll keep that in mind next time, see if that's the issue.

HF2014

- Add more sound options to the Sheikah sensor. It get really annoying, ability to have a less irritating beep would be welcome.
- Add a special potion you can drink which make the rain stop!
- Add a map fog of war option, which will show you what you discovered.
- Add a stash to your house where you can put more weapons , shields and bows
- Add more random encounter than the Yoga clans members, and not only on roads.

-Allow dropping weapons/shields/bows from quick select menu
-sheikah sensor doesn't have to constantly beep. Don't understand how they thought this wasn't the most annoying thing ever. Give option to have it vibrate without sounds. Since it has a display in the HUD, the sound is unnecessary

This is not a "tweak" request but the game needs more enemy variety instead of the same enemies in different colors.

OmegaX

-Put a "find the guy where you can use the korog seeds" mission, as early main or side mission. I found him after 150 hours and because I went to find where I could use them in a guide.
He is early in the game on the road to Kakariko village, then he moves to a stable, and then to Korok forest.

Amon37

Durability, everything is made of fucking glass and having million branches around doesn't make up for it.

Top Bottom