• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Tweak" Wish List

Eusis

More cave type areas in the game.

And no, this shouldn't be a major overhaul. Think of, say, what Dragon Quest Builders does, where there's little caves littered around the landscape, or LttP where you'd have some caves you could enter to find treasure in and basically have a dungeon room. Basically just sculpt the landscape a little differently.

Arondight

Better weapon rewards. I don't mind durability but what I kind of do mind is how there's basically very little incentive to tackle most combat situations especially during late game over 40 hours because you're basically trading basically good weapons you have for pretty poor ones. Lynels are basically the only rewarding enemy throughout the game as they provide the best weapons in game, provide gems, provide fire/electric arrows x10, provide some of the best shields and bows and they're not hard to take down. Certainly much easier than silver mobs which end up giving you terrible stuff.

Rain needs to be reduced. It's ok a few times but it pours down way too hard a lot of times, it's not fun, looks dreary and boring as well.

Better saving options. Want to keep my old save files so I can go back to them which should be together with autosave also having NG+. I kind of want to start again but I don't want to go back and find all those korok seeds, doing all the shrines again. Just want to start the story/guardians stuff again.

Using statis, bombs in crouch mode.

Provide more HUD options like health and guardian powers not showing until combat, stamina placed elsewhere,

Option to turn off bloodmoon cutscene completely. No reason why it should be a cutscene.

Better inventory sorting.

Automically use shield when using the shield button when in bow mode.

Either cut out durability of shields during sliding or increase it by at least 3 times. It's fun but not worth wasting the shield at the moment.

Calling horse regardless of location. It's one of the things that bother me. Most of the terrain can be difficult so you don't get to use them much so the times you do get to use your horse, you have to be near the location which is pretty poor since in the time it takes to reach there, you're better off just running and it get's increasingly worse during late game when teleporting everywhere feels more convenient. It really hampers the exploration side of it and riding mechanics in general.

Mindman

In the inventory screen, make L and R switch between sections. Right stick moves between subsections, and LZ/RZ moves between UI screens. Ya know, like every other game.

-Remove shield degradation from shield surfing. It's a fun idea but I always opted for the paraglider since it's also pretty fun and doesn't screw with my stuff.

This, or lower it drastically. I like shield surfing, but I never risk it because I don't want to burn out a shield unnecessarily.

jwillenn

-full action-button/stick/motion reassignment options (would love it as a system level feature, but hey...)

-more targeting reticle options
For starters, I'd like the option to use motion (with sensitivity adjustment options) to move reticle around screen without this affecting my view, leaving camera control strictly to the right stick and being able to instantly (or gradually with options) center focus to whatever the reticle is pointing at with the press of a button.

-quick drop options (highlight in quick menu and press button to drop, or press button to drop weapon/shield in use while standing over a weapon that can be picked up or at the time you are presented with a weapon/shield you can add to your inventory)

-blood moon cut-scene can be set to "never show" off after first experience
At this point, only the real time effects happen to indicate blood mood.

-when you begin to cook something, you can immediately change the amount you want made and confirm & watch animation or confirm & skip

-Add the ability to cook from a Recipe list provided you have the ingredients
-Remove shield degradation from surfing
-Lessen the rain, only because it's annoying having to wait for both Time of Day AND Weather in some cases for NPCs to be in their quest giving state.
-Allow for target switching while holding the targeting button (additional button press on face buttons maybe?)

This one may be a bit too big of a change for the topic but...

-Add stables to all Town Inns. Sometimes I want to fast travel to a far away town and pull out my horse and go from there.

1. Ability to switch weapons on the fly - or at least let us switch to the next weapon on our inventory.
2. Better performance - latest patch did a great job, but I'm still getting some frame drops + freezes due to ragdolls
3. Better title screen - I mean, it's just... dull
4. The ability to ride more beasts (I'm ok with keeping them unregisterable, though)
5. Change the sensor sound to something more pleasant

And this, seriously:

Pet.

Dogs.

A few people have already mentioned that the frequency of rain could be reduced a bit.

I'd like a quick cook option. Like, either you get a recipe book of stuff you've already made and can select what to make from it, where the game automatically makes it for you and uses up the proper ingredients, or at least let you select your ingredients and just cook them without going through that long animation when you're standing next to a pot.

An extra quick select menu for food would be nice, too. At least have a few slots that you can preload, so you don't have to keep going back into the menu and navigating to the food section.

Reorganize the menu so food is to the left of materials. You should be able to get to it relatively quickly from the equipment menus, at least, and not have to scroll through like ten pages of ingredients.

Better weapon rewards. I don't mind durability but what I kind of do mind is how there's basically very little incentive to tackle most combat situations especially during late game over 40 hours because you're basically trading basically good weapons you have for pretty poor ones. Lynels are basically the only rewarding enemy throughout the game as they provide the best weapons in game, provide gems, provide fire/electric arrows x10, provide some of the best shields and bows and they're not hard to take down. Certainly much easier than silver mobs which end up giving you terrible stuff.

Rain needs to be reduced. It's ok a few times but it pours down way too hard a lot of times, it's not fun, looks dreary and boring as well.

Better saving options. Want to keep my old save files so I can go back to them which should be together with autosave also having NG+. I kind of want to start again but I don't want to go back and find all those korok seeds, doing all the shrines again. Just want to start the story/guardians stuff again.

Using statis, bombs in crouch mode.

Provide more HUD options like health and guardian powers not showing until combat, stamina placed elsewhere,

Option to turn off bloodmoon cutscene completely. No reason why it should be a cutscene.

Better inventory sorting.

Automically use shield when using the shield button when in bow mode.

Either cut out durability of shields during sliding or increase it by at least 3 times. It's fun but not worth wasting the shield at the moment.

Calling horse regardless of location. It's one of the things that bother me. Most of the terrain can be difficult so you don't get to use them much so the times you do get to use your horse, you have to be near the location which is pretty poor since in the time it takes to reach there, you're better off just running and it get's increasingly worse during late game when teleporting everywhere feels more convenient. It really hampers the exploration side of it and riding mechanics in general.

Perfect!

More caves and stuff like "the forgotten temple". Small areas turning into large areas.

More and better Dungeons..

Reorganize the menu so food is to the left of materials. You should be able to get to it relatively quickly from the equipment menus, at least, and not have to scroll through like ten pages of ingredients.
Doesn't the game do that when you sort it? EDIT: Oh my bad, I see what you mean.

1). Sturdier weapons and transparency - make weapons a bit more durable and give each one a durability meter we can see.

2). Better menus - having the menu pages all horizontal was a terrible idea. Add some verticality. Line up swords, shields, armor, mats, dishes, key items vertically and then go horizontal to flip through pages on each one. That would've been much better.

3). Armor sets - this should've been a no-brainer. Should have had armor sets Monster Hunter style. Makes no sense to have to equip helmet, tunic, and leggings every single time.

4). Drop items from quick select menu -

You can tell Nintendo is new to modern day open world games. They did an amazing job with this game but these cosmetic issues are an annoyance I'm sure they'll fix in a future game.

mugwhump

My most wanted changes are things I hope to see in hard mode, so I'll hold off on those suggestions.

I wish I could blow my raft with the leaf while it's in stasis. Would make it much easier to construct an airship, lol.

Could use some more mapping icons, like additional weapon icons and enemy icons. (Ex: I use skull icons for
both Lynel's and Taluses
, but would like to be able to denote which is which, maybe with the ability to adjust the color of the icon or something else.)

This would be great, I still have at least 40% of the map to explore but only have 25 icons left.

QoL changes:

• Discard button from quick select menu
  • Ability to swap current held weapon/item for whatever is on ground
  • Ability to quickly discard an item when opening a chest while inventory is full to make room
  • Add a durability meter under weapon icons
  • Option to turn off voices for special powers
  • Blood Moon doesn't need cutscene after first time, loading screen is ok
  • More HUD display options
  • More control options

Balancing changes:

• Rework armor defense numbers, or however defense is actually calculated. Armor seems a bit too effective, and it's super easy to upgrade all armor.
  • Nerf some recipes, gives way to many hearts for easy recipes
  • Stamina consumption should be reduced/removed when slipping while climbing in the rain

Other Additions:

• Add a Blacksmith that can make and upgrade weapons by smelting down your old ones.
  • Ability to pet dogs / have dog companion like Wolf Link (why'd they put so much resources into Wolf Link not to even use the dogs that are in the game?)

Combat has it's own section because it feels really off to me:

• Dodging usually ends up with Link getting thrown 20 feet away because most enemies have an attack range that is wider than what you can dodge. Dodging needs some invincibility frames.
  • Camera angles are awkward when locking on, especially with enemies that are larger than you.
  • Horizontal, vertical, and thrusting attacks are not present like they are in every other 3D Zelda.
  • Trying to attack a fast enemy is almost impossible with it running around because you can't swing your weapon while you're walking. Makes sense for two handed weapons, but not for swords and spears.

JaseMath

Fix the physics. Everything abides by the same rules; weight and size are never a factor. A large metal box that (supposedly) weighs several hundred pounds shouldn't behave the way a wooden barrel does.

orborborb

When I'm constantly not having room for good weapons I'm picking up, even after adding a half dozen slots to the point that even if they improved the weapon switching interface it will still be cumbersome, I can't say adding more durability would do any good without either adding a lot more combat or cutting out a lot of loot.

And adding a durability number beyond their current "unused" sparkle and "severely damaged" red flashing would just encourage further useless time-wasting micromanagement from players instead of them actually enjoying the gameplay.

Dr. Worm

Banned
A trophy display at best and worthless at worst?

It stores weapons, doesn't it?

I honestly don't see why the game would need a feature to let players stockpile loads and loads of weapons when the point of the game is very clearly the opposite?

When I'm constantly not having room for good weapons I'm picking up, even after adding a half dozen slots to the point that even if they improved the weapon switching interface it will still be cumbersome, I can't say adding more durability would do any good without either adding a lot more combat or cutting out a lot of loot.

And adding a durability number beyond their current "unused" sparkle and "severely damaged" red flashing would just encourage further useless time-wasting micromanagement from players instead of them actually enjoying the gameplay.

This, unequivocably.

Parries should be more rewarding. It's FAR easier to Perfect Dodge, which gives you a flurry, whereas a parry is harder to do and gives you jack shit. It would be nice if they were to either lower the risk (longer window, or missing it just has you block) or increase the reward (knocks down enemies completely, reflects all projectiles, or allows you to guard against unblockable attacks). As is, not damaging your shield and giving a minor knock-back isn't very rewarding for its risk, since Perfect Dodge is just objectively better.

Having said that, durability is ridiculously low. Bows and shields are fine, but weapons should, at the very least, last long enough to kill a single enemy that's reasonably matched to your level. But I never felt that was the case outside of "durability up" weapons. Besides, it's not as if enemy weapons ever break (maybe they should).

Really? I've never had to go through more than one weapon per enemy unless I was fighting bosses, lynels, guardians, or silver enemies.

Apt101

Increase item durability by at least 300%.

Maybe make the requirements for spirit orb advancements three instead of four? I don't see it really harming the experience, adding more value to time invested.

Let a player craft arrows with wood and chuchu jellies. A bundle of wood and two red chuchu jellies would make five fire arrows, for example.

Nepenthe

- Return multiple save slots per account. This is standard per almost every Zelda game. Why get rid of it this time?

- Remove low health indicators. I keep my eye on my health on my own, especially during battles. I don't need Link glowing and an alarm sound to tell me when I'm about to die.

- A forward strafe. When I dodge but don't get a perfect, it'd still be nice to dash back into the fray without having to sheathe my weapon, run, and then take the weapon out again.

- Allow throwing away cooked meals and elixirs. I overestimated how many elixirs I'd need for the hot and cold climates and now they're just taking up space. A dumping mechanism would work wonders because I honestly don't feel like drinking all of them in succession.

- Add in bulk sale and buy options. When I know I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell, it's tedious to spam through dialogue options per every transaction. If I could just highlight multiple items I wanted to sell and then determine their quantity in one big action, I'd be a happy camper.

- Give me the option to buy/outfit any abandoned shelter. I wanted one of the designer homes so bad, particularly the one in Hateno that has two beds so me and Zelda could live together. ;~;

Also:

TheCongressman1 said:
Ability to quickly discard an item when opening a chest while inventory is full to make room

Blood Moon doesn't need cutscene after first time, loading screen is ok

Ability to pet dogs / have dog companion like Wolf Link

These are good too.

You can tell Nintendo is new to modern day open world games. They did an amazing job with this game but these cosmetic issues are an annoyance I'm sure they'll fix in a future game.
It honestly feels like they just repurposed Xenoblade's (garbage) inventory system. It just happens to work better because there's less stuff to clutter it all up.

Firebrand

- Return multiple save slots per account. This is standard per almost every Zelda game. Why get rid of it this time?

What happens if I press New Game? Does it overwrite my existing save? I'm glad they added system-wide profiles as that was a huge pain in the ass when sharing the 3DS, but yeah, obviously I'd like multiple saves for myself.

- Remove low health indicators. I keep my eye on my health on my own, especially during battles. I don't need Link glowing and an alarm sound to tell me when I'm about to die.

- A forward strafe. When I dodge but don't get a perfect, it'd still be nice to dash back into the fray without having to sheathe my weapon, run, and then take the weapon out again.

- Allow throwing away cooked meals and elixirs. I overestimated how many elixirs I'd need for the hot and cold climates and now they're just taking up space. A dumping mechanism would work wonders because I honestly don't feel like drinking all of them in succession.

- Add in bulk sale and buy options. When I know I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell, it's tedious to spam through dialogue options per every transaction. If I could just highlight multiple items I wanted to sell and then determine their quantity in one big action, I'd be a happy camper.

- Give me the option to buy/outfit any abandoned shelter. I wanted one of the designer homes so bad, particularly the one in Hateno that has two beds so me and Zelda could live together. ;~;

Also:

These are good too.

Why not just sell your cooked food and elixirs

kvothe

I think the Camera should've been part of the waypoint placing mode rather than a separate power to select.

And the weapons that you get for defeating a dungeon should be replaced for zero charge. I can deal with them breaking, but costing a diamond to replace? I just saved your whole village, that shit should come with a lifetime guarantee.

I think the Camera should've been part of the waypoint placing mode rather than a separate power to select.

And the weapons that you get for defeating a dungeon should be replaced for zero charge. I can deal with them breaking, but costing a diamond to replace? I just saved your whole village, that shit should come with a lifetime guarantee.

Diamonds are exactly difficult to come by later in the game

Hyoukokun

Basic touch screen controls for the menus (inventory, map, etc.) would be nice. Sure, they can't be used in all hardware configurations, but adding them does nothing to harm the experience and will frequently help it.

Change how stamina boosting/refilling food works. Since you can consume food/potions at any time there is no difference between food that gives you extra stamina past your max and food that refills your stamina. Now if you could use food to increase your max stamina for X amount of time I could see it being useful but as it is there's no point since you can indiscriminately refill your stamina from your menu at any time.

NewGame

Banned
More rain. I also want snow, sleet and hail. I want it to be impossible to climb certain things (Like the mazes, tall about leaving yourself open to cheese)

Less durable weapons, I want to railgun weapons at enemies.

More enemy types and mixtures. It's sad that lynels exist in 1 on 1 matches with nothing else. Would of made things more interesting to mix them in with other enemy types.

Big huge more dungeons.

Add an easy mode with a waypoint finder so I know what the heck I'm supposed to do in this game.

What are you confused on? Each quest has a marker on your map to follow.

Enemies that aren't caged inside invisible zones.

In the original HALO, hunters could chase you all across a map.

Make me fear being seen by a Lynel by knowing that if I can't find a creative escape, I know it's going to be able to chase after me.

I mean, once you're out of melee range, they'll still rain elemental arrows on your ass for quite a distance.

I agree with this though. Once you activate a boss, it should follow you for as long as it sees you.

Allow for a toggle on what is displayed on the in game map.

Oh yeah, definitely this.

• Improve weapons via crafting instead of only finding weapons that have modifiers.
  • A recipe book

Agree with improving weapons.

I only think a recipe book is necessary for the special foods (like cakes). Everything else I think is straight forward enough to not need a recipe.

kvothe

Diamonds are exactly difficult to come by later in the game

Well I'm 60 hours in and have probably had 5-6 diamonds. But I also don't go around farming them. I just feel like it's not really the best reward if it breaks after 15 minutes of use and then costs one of the most rare items to replace. Making it free would not break the game and would also make it actually a worthwhile reward.

Lizardus

I thought durability would affect me but I am halfway through the game and swimming in good weapons and constantly having to decide which ones to keep.

- Ability to toggle separate HUD elements. I like Pro UI but I also like having the weather network and maybe the map sometimes. Allow me to turn them on or off individually.

- Ability to remove bows and shield without going in the menu.

- Ability to cook multiple meals at once.

- A vertical menu system instead of a horizontal, like this:

Sword
Shield
Bows
Items
Food
Key Items

clicking on a category opens up a sub-menu on the right and you can browse that, press B to exit the sub-menu.

plufim

Simple:

A recipe book that fills in as we discover recipes.

A few more stamp options for the map. Plus let us add a note to stamps.

A note for items of clothing on what is needed for the next upgrade.

Let me pet the dogs

More involved:

More house expansion options. Upgrade the bed, storage, kitchen. A forge to make basic weapons from collected items.

I want a post end boss world with no blood moon and a fully restored master sword. Give me the option to manually trigger a blood moon somehow, but I'd like a world that I can just mess around in with a good enough sword that I don't have to worry about breaking, and know that I can fully clear out the monsters in it.

Nepenthe

What happens if I press New Game? Does it overwrite my existing save? I'm glad they added system-wide profiles as that was a huge pain in the ass when sharing the 3DS, but yeah, obviously I'd like multiple saves for myself.

It will eventually overwrite your save data if you play into the game long enough to create new autosaves. Almost lost my shit when my young nephew hit new game and was one autosave away from fucking over my progress.

Why not just sell your cooked food and elixirs

Then we get into the issue with selling things I mentioned. =P

But nah, dumping stuff really quick should've been a universal feature in a title with such high inventory management.

I dunno how you can miss the blood moon cutscene skip. Doesn't it show "Press + to skip" at the bottom right at all times? At least it does on my game...

I don't think it gives you a prompt unless you press a button during the cutscene. At least it didn't for me.

I'm 200 hours in, and I still go through one-handed weapons (mostly Royal Broadswords) like crazy.

How do you define "like crazy"?

Sometimes it skips, most times it doesn't, no matter how much I mash the appropriate button. That bold text on that last qoute may actually explain why. I'm on the Wii U version, btw. Not sure if that's a factor too.

I'm on the Wii U version as well, and I've always been able to skip it.

Silver enemies also give you gems, and I've never seen one that doesn't carry a good weapon

Parries should be more rewarding. It's FAR easier to Perfect Dodge, which gives you a flurry, whereas a parry is harder to do and gives you jack shit. It would be nice if they were to either lower the risk (longer window, or missing it just has you block) or increase the reward (knocks down enemies completely, reflects all projectiles, or allows you to guard against unblockable attacks). As is, not damaging your shield and giving a minor knock-back isn't very rewarding for its risk, since Perfect Dodge is just objectively better.

Absolutely agree with this.

More rain. I also want snow, sleet and hail. I want it to be impossible to climb certain things (Like the mazes, tall about leaving yourself open to cheese)

More enemy types and mixtures. It's sad that lynels exist in 1 on 1 matches with nothing else. Would of made things more interesting to mix them in with other enemy types.

Didn't one of the mazes require you to climb to the top of it to solve?

Agree about Lynels.
What about the 3 in the Hebra region that are all close to each other? Is it possible to aggro them together to get a 2 or 3 on 1 fight?

Col.Asher

Add Northern Pike, walleye, Croppie, Catfish and more oceanic fish, and fishing with a rod and reel. Reduce carp populations since carp tastes like ass.

jotun?

Master Sword and Champion's powers should regenerate durability/charges whenever they're not in use, instead of encouraging players to waste attacks/uses in order to trigger a refresh.
This for sure! The way this stuff recharges is really dumb

mr.beers

I hope this fits in the spirit of the thread. More hud options let me hide the hearts and such. Audio options as much as I like the music in this game it's been 170 hours I don't want to hear it anymore and I really like the sound of nature.

Cepheus

Fix the stuttering problem when fighting Moblins, since it's still present in the game. Also, changing the stable music or maybe just not having any music for them at all since for some reason I hate the stable theme. Allowing you to take pictures of Koroks would be nice, too.

Top Bottom