• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

So, I played 999 quite a while ago and I relatively enjoyed it. So I decided I would eventually like to play VLR. I finally got a 3DS about a month or two back and got the game finally.

I'll be honest. I looked up what doors unlocked which endings, but I did it just to avoid the bad endings the first time around. I did the puzzles blind though. Still... now that I've finished all the endings... I'm insanely curious about ZE3.

My favorite ending is honestly
Luna's. Closest to making me cry.

Jisgsaw

So, just finished the game yesterday.

I think I would have enjoyed it even more than 999 if not for a little fact:
Where the hell is the ending?

I'll guess there's a sequel coming (any date anounced yet BTW?), but come on, you can't stop the game after droping several bombs on the gamer
especially the part where you actually "get" into the game's world

Man what a letdown.
Advice for those wanting to do this: wait for the third part to come out.

Frolow

Banned
So I attempted my first playthrough. I ended up taking the leftest most path, but I got stuck on the
password screen for the Director's room.
Am I
supposed to have figured out the password with my current knowledge, or is this just a roadblock that you can't complete without information from the other paths?
I haven't unlocked any of the Archive Files, by the way.

Thores

So I attempted my first playthrough. I ended up taking the leftest most path, but I got stuck on the
password screen for the Director's room.
Am I
supposed to have figured out the password with my current knowledge, or is this just a roadblock that you can't complete without information from the other paths?
I haven't unlocked any of the Archive Files, by the way.

It's the latter. I ran into the exact same problem on my first playthrough.

Lusankya

Good to know. Also, any hints for obtaining Archive Files? I haven't been able get any of them.

They're in every room, just look at all things. E.g. in the Elevator the poster will be added to the archive files. Most of them are impossible to miss, so I wonder if you could have encountered a bug?

Marcus

has there been any new information regarding zero escape 3? i remember the creator stating that he wanted to release some info before the end of 2013.

Good to know. Also, any hints for obtaining Archive Files? I haven't been able get any of them.

The Gold Files? They're in the safes too, but you need to input a different password from the escape password. Normally you just need to do a little bit more thinking with the puzzle to obtain the archive passwords (normally. Some of the archive passwords are even easier to get than the escape ones, depending on the puzzle.)

You won't be able to do the leftmost path for a while, so explore other paths for now until you hit a path that works for you (that doesn't end in a TO BE CONTINUED). Even if you hit a "bad end", even that can be good too.

Frolow

Banned
The Gold Files? They're in the safes too, but you need to input a different password from the escape password. Normally you just need to do a little bit more thinking with the puzzle to obtain the archive passwords (normally. Some of the archive passwords are even easier to get than the escape ones, depending on the puzzle.)

You won't be able to do the leftmost path for a while, so explore other paths for now until you hit a path that works for you (that doesn't end in a TO BE CONTINUED). Even if you hit a "bad end", even that can be good too.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the left path was the first one I chose. And the only actual ending I was able to get was
Dio's
ending, which was left me with a hell of a lot more questions than answers.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the left path was the first one I chose. And the only actual ending I was able to get was
Dio's

That is usually the first ending that people get and it really gets the ball rolling on thinking about what the hell is actually going on.

Edit: Also, don't save in the PEC room!

Frolow

Banned
That is usually the first ending that people get and it really gets the ball rolling on thinking about what the hell is actually going on.

Edit: Also, don't save in the PEC room!

Well I got all the
Gameover and "To be continued..."
endings for the left branch as well, but those didn't really explain anything. Although K's
backstory
for his branch was fairly interesting.

Sorian

Banned
Well I got all the
Gameover and "To be continued..."
endings for the left branch as well, but those didn't really explain anything. Although K's
backstory
for his branch was fairly interesting.

Keep K's
backstory
tucked away in a special place. Hold on to it dearly and let the good times roll.

Frolow

Banned
Keep K's
backstory
tucked away in a special place. Hold on to it dearly and let the good times roll.

I already have some ideas about K and his story. Anyway, here's some predictions for the rest of the game. Going to be fun to see how wrong I end up being.

K is one of those robots. June and Junpei are connected to K somehow. Quark is an evil mastermind and is responsible for most of the murders. The old lady is Tenmyouji's wife. Phi has powers, similar to June's, and she can travel between timelines.

Sorian

Banned
I already have some ideas about K and his story. Anyway, here's some predictions for the rest of the game. Going to be fun to see how wrong I end up being.

K is one of those robots. June and Junpei are connected to K somehow. Quark is an evil mastermind and is responsible for most of the murders. The old lady is Tenmyouji's wife. Phi has powers, similar to June's, and she can travel between timelines.

Oh god, I love predictions. This isn't really a spoiler since you've gotten one ending already but I'll black bar it for others.
When you get K's ending, you come back here on the double, I need fresh reaction posts

The only reactions posts better are ones from case 5 of AA5.

Jisgsaw

And the only actual ending I was able to get was
Dio's

That was also my first actual ending. And sadly, it lets some point in other routes being anoying, knowing what
Dio
told you...

But well. Nice predictions by the way, do come back to comment on them when you finish the other endings ;)

Frolow

Banned
Doing the middle branch now and I just unlocked the No.2 Lock branch. HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE.
Why the hell does Tenmyouji have a picture of Akane? Is he Junpei? But if he's Junpei, that outright contradicts what Clover said earlier when she stated that it was only a year after the the events of 999.

My mind is going through a loop right now. Going to make some more predictions:
Clover and the rest of them were somehow in a state where they didn't age. Junpei was a researcher of Radical-6, trying to find a cure. He's K's Father, hence K's backstory. Radical-6 is a bio-terrorism agent launched by that crazy cult Dio belongs too.

Though none of that still explains half the other shit in the game.

Just
Dio's and Temyouji's
so far.

Oh right, I should warn you about one thing:
When Dio gave you the bomb 0 passcode, the game doesn't remind you what it is when you need it, so if whenever you see a code or something similar, be sure to write it down.

Frolow

Banned
Oh right, I should warn you about one thing:
When Dio gave you the bomb 0 passcode, the game doesn't remind you what it is when you need it, so if whenever you see a code or something similar, be sure to write it down.

Don't worry, I've got an entire page of the memory notepad filled with important stuff.

Don't worry, I've got an entire page of the memory notepad filled with important stuff.
I'd keep it on a real life notepad too, just to be safe. :)

I mean, you could just look it up online when the time comes, but then you run the risk of coming across spoilers.

KJ869

Finally had the time to play this trought. Played 999 year earlier so it was stil pretty bright in my mind. I liked the new flow system alot, only problem was with skip. I felt there was way too mutch repeat text with slight meaningless changes that I couldnt skip and the map screens realy took too mutch time, when you most of the time couldnt skip them.

I realy liked the puzzlles more in this. Even thou some puzzles needed too accurate controls for vita screen that felt like there were some design problems. Played the game mostly in english VA, I realy liked how easy it was change the voice just to see if the japanese was better.

I hated how the game broke the 4th wall in the secret files. Just felt uncessary.

When I first encountered the smudged miror I was pretty sure I will be Zero and there will be some other twist with it. Just because how 999 had dealt with zero. My guess for the plot for long time was it was about radical 6 escaping from this experiment and stopping it from escaping, and this was the mars experiment. I was guessing K would be the younger version of Old woman, even thou I had no idea who she was. and when I found gaylem bay I was guessing quark to be the robot, because tenmyo was metal collector.

Near the end I tought the plot would be around brother and tenmyo would be the brother. And the whole point of AB game was to make him believe in humanity.

I felt like the game ended well. It gave conclusiong to enought stuff and made good setup. I didnt feel like it had stoppe abryptly. I would guess if I hadnt played 999 before then this might have felt like not giving enought closure.

Finally beat this game. Wonderful. I was utterly in shock that
Tenmyouji was in fact Junpei and that K all along was actually June all that time(at least in the true timeline.) The biggest surprise to me was Sigma being Zero Sr. all along. I realized that the camera never actually showed Sigma's face in game and also no one commented on how sigma looked at all. Who the hell is Phi though?

Finally beat this game. Wonderful. I was utterly in shock that
Tenmyouji was in fact Junpei and that K all along was actually June all that time(at least in the true timeline.) The biggest surprise to me was Sigma being Zero Sr. all along. I realized that the camera never actually showed Sigma's face in game and also no one commented on how sigma looked at all. Who the hell is Phi though?

Well it's not that no one commented on Sigma's appearence, it's that Sigma doesn't register it. Phi does call him an old man at some point and Sigma just takes it as a general insult. I kind of (KIND OF) suspected it because Sigma is the only one in the game without a voice. There's really no reason for that, until the reveal of course. As for Phi? I guess we'll have to wait for ZE3... whenever that is.

CassSept

Well it's not that no one commented on Sigma's appearence, it's that Sigma doesn't register it. Phi does call him an old man at some point and Sigma just takes it as a general insult. I kind of (KIND OF) suspected it because Sigma is the only one in the game without a voice. There's really no reason for that, until the reveal of course. As for Phi? I guess we'll have to wait for ZE3... whenever that is.

I'm ok with this but
THAT CYBORG EYE. Come on. That's just ridiculous on every level. It's like they couldn't show a little restraint and just had to make him errr, cooler and futurer? Nobody comments on the eye, he doesn't touch his face throughout the entire plot of the game? It's baffling, my one HUGE MASSIVE gripe with the ending.

Most games have the main character voiceless but I thought that was merely a design decision. Plus technically you do hear sigma's voice at one point in the game.

CassSept said:
I'm ok with this but THAT CYBORG EYE. Come on. That's just ridiculous on every level. It's like they couldn't show a little restraint and just had to make him errr, cooler and futurer? Nobody comments on the eye, he doesn't touch his face throughout the entire plot of the game? It's baffling, my one HUGE MASSIVE gripe with the ending.
Seriously.

I started playing this today, and I'm literally less than an hour in, but I have to say that so far after just coming off of 999 this feels like a step backwards. The rabbit is jsut fucking stupid and annoying, the art style is more cartoony, the characters seem more immature on the whole, and the rules of the nonary game seem less interesting.

I hope the story makes up for it, otherwise it will be a supreme disappointment.

I'm ok with this but
THAT CYBORG EYE. Come on. That's just ridiculous on every level. It's like they couldn't show a little restraint and just had to make him errr, cooler and futurer? Nobody comments on the eye, he doesn't touch his face throughout the entire plot of the game? It's baffling, my one HUGE MASSIVE gripe with the ending.
I figured that since when they got abducted was 20 years from now, maybe that sort of thing is just normal, so they didn't really care to mention it.

I started playing this today, and I'm literally less than an hour in, but I have to say that so far after just coming off of 999 this feels like a step backwards. The rabbit is jsut fucking stupid and annoying, the art style is more cartoony, the characters seem more immature on the whole, and the rules of the nonary game seem less interesting.

I hope the story makes up for it, otherwise it will be a supreme disappointment.

Just saying, but I don't remember being totally blown away by the characters in the first hour or so of 999. So yes, it gets better. As to which you'll end up preferring overall, it's a toss up, some like 999, some like VLR more.

daxy

Finishing up the game after a while of not having played it. Question for those who have played it already: I'm trying to remember where the sequence happened where you find out about
the researcher with the kid in some facility and something about a woman
. I can remember some of it, but I want to revisit that part to get a better perspective on some recent events.

Thanks in advance!

PKrockin

Finishing up the game after a while of not having played it. Question for those who have played it already: I'm trying to remember where the sequence happened where you find out about
the researcher with the kid in some facility and something about a woman
. I can remember some of it, but I want to revisit that part to get a better perspective on some recent events.

Thanks in advance!
That's K's ending or the events shortly before it, I believe

For fuck's sake, I finally encountered the dreaded 3ds save bug. But this happened after saving during the vote, and
after I exited the 9 door with Phi and Dio during the cutscene
. During that cutscene, the game crashed and when I tried to load the game, it was just black screen.

Yeah, looks like I'm bailing out for the vita version. I have no interest in further playing this game on 3ds because of chunsoft's fuck up.

Z..

Playing the Vita version. 5 hours in. Loving it so far, though it sticks to 99's formula a bit too much, up 'til where I've played, at least.

Is there anyway to switch between dubs without starting over? I've been playing it in Japanese, and while original will always be superior as it reflects the creators' vision of the characters, I'd like to check the English dub out, but can't seem to be be able to switch...

Lusankya

Playing the Vita version. 5 hours in. Loving it so far, though it sticks to 99's formula a bit too much, up 'til where I've played, at least.

Is there anyway to switch between dubs without starting over? I've been playing it in Japanese, and while original will always be superior as it reflects the creators' vision of the characters, I'd like to check the English dub out, but can't seem to be be able to switch...

You only have the Jp dub in the EU version. In the US version you can change it anytime you load a save or start a new game.

Z..

You only have the Jp dub in the EU version. In the US version you can change it anytime you load a save or start a new game.

Not true. I have both. Oo And it's the EU version. I'm playing the Vita version, not the 3DS one.
You can pick which you want each time you load, I'd just been playing for 5 hours straight and didn't realize it was that simple.

Just got my first ending... One of those "to be continued" ones, which means I was probably on the right path for the true ending but need to finish another one first... So frustrating! It just stopped abruptly right when it was getting good, too! Bah!

As for the english dub... Meh. It's competent enough but apart from one or two very good interpretations, most of the characters feel very different from their japanese counterparts, so it's quite a flawed adaptation. Think I'll go back to japanese, to be honest... Even if what they say doesn't match up with what's written, the characterization is much better, not to mention it reflects the creator's intentions for the way the characters are supposed to feel. This is why dubs are always inferior. They're not representative of the author's original vision.

Z..

That's impossible. Rising Star Games didn't acquire the rights for the English dub.

Since you don't seem to be able to read... I'm playing the Vita version!!! Not the 3DS one!

Edit: It's one of the reasons I bought the Vita version, actually. I had heard the EU 3DS only had jp voices. So I ended up purchasing the Vita version because while I slways preffer the original dub, getting the Vita version would allow me to check the english dub out. That and the eye candy. I can assure you that I have both dubs available. And the game was purchased brand new on a Game store in London, so I'm pretty sure it is the EU version.

also

Banned
Since you don't seem to be able to read... I'm playing the Vita version!!! Not the 3DS one!

Edit: It's one of the reasons I bought the Vita version, actually. I had heard the EU 3DS only had jp voices. So I ended up purchasing the Vita version because while I slways preffer the original dub, getting the Vita version would allow me to check the english dub out. That and the eye candy. I can assure you that I have both dubs available. And the game was purchased brand new on a Game store in London, so I'm pretty sure it is the EU version.

Both the 3DS and Vita versions should only have the Jap dub. Even the SEN description states: ''With original Japanese audio''.
On the bottom of the start screen, does it say ''published by Rising Star Games'' or ''published by Aksys games''?
ibuGolxxXpQpbp.png

Z..

Both the 3DS and Vita versions should only have the Jap dub. Even the SEN description states: ''With original Japanese audio''.
On the bottom of the start screen, does it says published by Rising Star games or Published by Aksys games?
ibuGolxxXpQpbp.png

Aksys. Huh. Oo
I'd always heard the EU vita version had the dub... Guess I was mistaken.

Why the hell would a UK Game store have the US version in stock, though? Oo
Oh well. Guess I can't complain, can I?

Edit:

Jesus Christ... The clock/boardgame puzzle in the treatment center is such a huge fucking mess. The logic behind it is immediately decipherable, but the particulars of the execution are so obtuse and unclear you're forced to waste a huge amount of time on it. A very easy puzzle made artificially hard... Boo!

Edit 2:
There must be something wrong with my game... Oo
7:15 doesn't land me in P. Regardless of wether I count T as 1 or start off in T, I never land on P. The stupid part is that if I continue solving password 2 assuming P is the first letter, the other 3 letters are the correct answers. Meaning my method isn't incorrect. However, 7:15 does NOT land me in P. It lands me in G or S, depending on wether I count T as 1 or 0. But never on P.

This is the same for every letter in password 1, since they all start from scratch. But I can't be doing anything wrong since if I start from P and move on to 6:20 on password 2, they all match what they're supposed to! POUR matches! My method is clearly correct, so why doesn't it ever work the first time around? Oo I keep alternating methods (counting T as 1 or as 0) and neither of them works. I know what I'm supposed to do and I know the solution is supposed to be PAST, but it just isn't.

What in the fuck is happening?

Lusankya

7UFMlf0.png

Starting on the upper left T (counting T as 1) you count 15 spaces clockwise and land on the S, then you go 7 spaces counterclockwise (don't count S again) and land on the P.
I also got confused that I am supposed to count the starting T, but for all other purposes I never should count the letter I am starting on (for the secret password and for the counterclockwise moves). They should have drawn a separate Start field right next to the T.

Top Bottom